Amidst the euphoria in Egypt

Buftex

Need the details here.

From what I read in another article the "brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating" was that she got her boobs grabbed and smacked in the head a couple times. If it was worse, than I truly feel bad for her.

However, if it was merely some rough groping as reported, well then, what do you expect when you charge into a group of 200 people who just successfully overthrew an entire government?!?

HOW INSENSITIVE! HOW DO YOU KNOW HER BOOBS WEREN'T IMPORTANT TO SOMEONE!

OH THE HUMANITY!!

:blink:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there always 200 of them and do they always yell Jew, Jew, Jew?

No, sometimes they yell "gook", "white B word" or "beaner". All depends on who happens to be in the wrong riot at the wrong time.

Go back to the attempts at humor. Your recent run as a petulant defender of victims really isn't working.

I am not going to get into the politics of this. I just wanted to comment on Lara Logan. I have a friend from SA who knew her in passing. Because of that, I have followed her career. She is an amazing war correspondent. "Intrepid" certainly describes her.

When I heard the news, I felt horrible for her and her family -- regardless of the specifics of what happened. I hope she is doing well and wish her the best.

Update:

The newly free Egyptians are not allowing Iranian war ships through the Suez for the first time in over 30 years.

How better to celebrate your new found freedom than raping imperialist reporters and finally restoring pride to the oppressed Iranian fleet?

This democracy's infancy is like 1776 all over again.

The more details coming out about this, the more ashamed of yourselves some of you should/will be...this was more than "grabbing boobs"...

You can address that directly to me if you want, I was really the one who questioned CBS News. I probably couldve taken more time to type out my posts to make it clear to everyone that I was not questioning the reporter.

After my "grabbing boobs" comment, I specifically stated "If it was worse, than I truly feel bad for her." I wasnt the person who made that one report, I was just talking about what I heard the morning this was all coming out.

My comments were aimed at the media, her bosses who encourage their employees to put themselves in harms way as often and severely as possible, only so they can profit from it.

Just curious...who's a fair representation of Egypt? The guys who assaulted her, or the guys who rescued her from the assault?

The guys who assulted her were the more fair representation. The "guys" who rescued her were actually women (plus military soldiers who probably had less altruistic reasons for rescuing Lara). All the Egyptian "men" were too busy beating and raping and standing around and taking phone pics of the assault.

Face the facts: Egyptians are primitive people. Not in the genetic sense, of course, but in the cultural sense. Just take a look at the polls coming out that ask Egyptians their thoughts on rule of law and on women's rights. I realize that mobs can take on a psychological life of their own, but no mob in any Western country would have ever gotten this out of control for this long with a woman's very dignity in peril like this.

The guys who assulted her were the more fair representation. The "guys" who rescued her were actually women (plus military soldiers who probably had less altruistic reasons for rescuing Lara). All the Egyptian "men" were too busy beating and raping and standing around and taking phone pics of the assault.

Face the facts: Egyptians are primitive people. Not in the genetic sense, of course, but in the cultural sense. Just take a look at the polls coming out that ask Egyptians their thoughts on rule of law and on women's rights. I realize that mobs can take on a psychological life of their own, but no mob in any Western country would have ever gotten this out of control for this long with a woman's very dignity in peril like this.

People are just ridiculous and Tom is no exception. You can't say anything to people like that. Everything's a racist remark or a sign of xenophobia or it's ignorant or hateful if it's negative coming from an American's mouth. There's no judging allowed...what gives us the right? LOL

Of course you are right. Of course the culture allows this to go on over there. It's a fact. It happens. It's reported. And even Tom must be aware of it. But NO NO NO...can't judge it! That would cast a negative light on them! Then every Egyption is a terrible person b/c apparently you can't make any form of generalization without implying you believe it to be absolute truth! This is the way people are now! It's great! When it comes to most people...you simply can't discuss things!

Edited by Beerball

As someone said, "there will never be a true revolution in Islamic countries, until there is a sexual revolution."

Can Islam adapt as Christianity and Catholocism have to accept the cultural changes neccessary for that to happen?

Before anyone answers, give it some thought. Islam is not always an extremist religion - but those that rule it are extremists.

Can Islam adapt as Christianity and Catholocism have to accept the cultural changes neccessary for that to happen?

Before anyone answers, give it some thought. Islam is not always an extremist religion - but those that rule it are extremists.

Of course it can and it will. It's ingrained in the culture it will not die. The women will rise up eventually. I don't know if it's going to be soon as a result of the various revolutions but one day they will. And then even extremists will be forced to publicly denounce the various female oppressions.

I just wish they would have a secular revolution. Worry about this life. Take a little more responsibility. Try and build a better region.

Edited by dayman

People are just ridiculous and Tom is no exception. You can't say anything to people like that. Everything's a racist remark or a sign of xenophobia or it's ignorant or hateful if it's negative coming from an American's mouth. There's no judging allowed...what gives us the right? LOL

Of course you are right. Of course the culture allows this to go on over there. It's a fact. It happens. It's reported. And even Tom must be aware of it. But NO NO NO...can't judge it! That would cast a negative light on them! Then every Egyption is a terrible person b/c apparently you can't make any form of generalization without implying you believe it to be absolute truth! This is the way people are now! It's great! When it comes to most people...you simply can't discuss things!

Yes, I'm not judging an entire religion and society by the acts of a few individuals...and I'm the ridiculous one. :rolleyes:

Isn't that kind of like the Islamic belief that all Americans hate Muslims and want to exterminte them? Y'know...because their generalizing from the attitudes of a few idiots such as yourself.

Yes, I'm not judging an entire religion and society by the acts of a few individuals...and I'm the ridiculous one. :rolleyes:

Isn't that kind of like the Islamic belief that all Americans hate Muslims and want to exterminte them? Y'know...because their generalizing from the attitudes of a few idiots such as yourself.

This is exactly why you can't be talked to.

The more details coming out about this, the more ashamed of yourselves some of you should/will be...this was more than "grabbing boobs"...

While some people are castigating CBS for not releasing more details, I think they've done a fairly good job of trying to protect Ms. Logan's privacy. Respectable news outlets don't identify sexual assault victims at least, against their wishes. If she wants to discuss it at some point, fine, but give her that choice. Whispered accounts are no better than the people who stood by and took pictures.

The gaping maw of people who need to know everything (and feel they have the absolute right to peep into other people's private moments) these days is particularly saddening. Compassion is dead.

Edited by UConn James

Why? Because I'm actually reasonable, or because I know more about the subject than you do?

[dayman]

Dammit Tom, we can so judge an entire religion and society based on a small percentage of the members of that religion/society! Just stop interrupting our circle jerk with your condemning of our stereotyping!

[/dayman]

While some people are castigating CBS for not releasing more details, I think they've done a fairly good job of trying to protect Ms. Logan's privacy. Respectable news outlets don't identify sexual assault victims at least, against their wishes. If she wants to discuss it at some point, fine, but give her that choice. Whispered accounts are no better than the people who stood by and took pictures.

The gaping maw of people who need to know everything (and feel they have the absolute right to peep into other people's private moments) these days is particularly saddening. Compassion is dead.

I completely agree...I honestly can't even understand what point CBS critics are trying to make, in this case. I think this is, sadly, to most people, just a chance to beat up the news press, without any real reason. Lara Logan was doing her job, recording a piece of history, and became an unfortunate victim in the process. What happened, lurid details or not, is just wrong...in the US, the press, as a rule, doesn't normally give these type of details, particularly when the identity of the victim is already known. Commentators are implying that the "libral media" is at it again, making excuses, or covering up for the perpetrators of this horrendous crime. Really? CNN has been criticizeed for blocking out the faces of the people surrounding Logan in the last picture known, before the crime was committed. They were exercising journalistic integrity, as far as I am concerned.

Why? Because I'm actually reasonable, or because I know more about the subject than you do?

B/c you don't listen to what people say. You don't think. You don't try to understand what or why someone thinks the way they do. It's pretty much pointless to communicate with you. You have an impression of what I think and say, and that's all you need.

Yes, I stereotype all of the middle east as a result of the isolated incident that happened here and I believe that stereotype is absolutely true. This is what I said and still say. [note: massive sarcasm]

EDIT: BTW if you reject the generalization that the middle east has major problems [in general] with the way they view and treat women then you are a fool who is either so PC he's blinded himself or just a crazy misogynist yourself. I don't see how you know anything about "the subject" certainly not more than me. If you reject the use of generalization to begin with you are impossible to talk with.

Yes, there are Americans who are crazy conservatives and would like to propagate Muslim hate. Congratulations for pointing that out. That has nothing to do with anything. Certainly not the FACT that these things happen...multiple times...with publicity...and it's not stopping. It's ingrained in the culture. If you feel different you are wrong.

Think what you will, I'm not a crazy radical. I don't hate Muslims. I feel the way I feel. And you are wrong. :thumbsup: But you can sit there just reflexively call anyone with negative things to say about Muslim men ignorant. That's a quick little thing people like to do with all subjects...assume someone is not reasonable before listening to them and just act like some elitist. Makes you look ridiculous to me.

Edited by dayman