Report: Dolphins NT Soliai to hit open market

Marshmallow

Bills need to make this happen! I remember Gailey liking how Soliai played and payed compliments to him! It was after our second game with the phins. We couldn't run up the middle thanks to this guy. So how bad does nix want to upgrade our D? Imo, this is a perfect opportunity. And yes it does give us other options in the draft.

So lets just hope the new CBA is signed before the draft so we have a free agency.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some background on Paul Soliai.

He started 14 games this past season after starting 5 games in 2009. They were the first 19 starts in his career after two years of sitting on the bench.

Soliai was a 4th round selection of the Dolphins in 2007, 108th overall out of Utah.

That round of that draft yielded numerous current NFL players…RB Michael Bush (100), DE Brian Robison (102), S Tanard Jackson (106), P Daniel Sepulveda (112), S Marvin White (114), T Allen Barbre (119), T Doug Free (122), LB Antwan Barnes (134), LB Clint Session (136), FB LeRon McClain (137).

Also taken in the 4th round of the 2007 draft were current Bills T Mansfield Wrotto by Seattle (124), and TE Scott Chandler by San Diego (129).

Unfortunately the Bills drafted RB Dwayne Wright (111) who was a bust.

At his 2007 Pro Day, Soliai (Utah) weighed 332 pounds at 6'4". He is currently listed at 355 pounds.

Soliai is a bit of a physical freak. He ran a 5.02 40 yard dash, a 1.63 10 yard split, 4.53 short shuttle, 7.66 3-cone drill, a 30.5" vertical jump, and a 9'7" broad jump. He did not bench press due to an elbow strain.

These are all very good numbers for a man as large as Soliai. In fact all of these results except for the 3-cone drill are better than Torell Troup's were last year.

FWIW, 2010 was the final year of Soliai's rookie contract. He knew he'd be a free agent in 2011.

Some background on Paul Soliai.

He started 14 games this past season after starting 5 games in 2009. They were the first 19 starts in his career after two years of sitting on the bench.

Soliai was a 4th round selection of the Dolphins in 2007, 108th overall out of Utah.

That round of that draft yielded numerous current NFL players…RB Michael Bush (100), DE Brian Robison (102), S Tanard Jackson (106), P Daniel Sepulveda (112), S Marvin White (114), T Allen Barbre (119), T Doug Free (122), LB Antwan Barnes (134), LB Clint Session (136), FB LeRon McClain (137).

Also taken in the 4th round of the 2007 draft were current Bills T Mansfield Wrotto by Seattle (124), and TE Scott Chandler by San Diego (129).

Unfortunately the Bills drafted RB Dwayne Wright (111) who was a bust.

At his 2007 Pro Day, Soliai (Utah) weighed 332 pounds at 6'4". He is currently listed at 355 pounds.

Soliai is a bit of a physical freak. He ran a 5.02 40 yard dash, a 1.63 10 yard split, 4.53 short shuttle, 7.66 3-cone drill, a 30.5" vertical jump, and a 9'7" broad jump. He did not bench press due to an elbow strain.

These are all very good numbers for a man as large as Soliai. In fact all of these results except for the 3-cone drill are better than Torell Troup's were last year.

FWIW, 2010 was the final year of Soliai's rookie contract. He knew he'd be a free agent in 2011.

Sounds like the fat man saw the short-ribs at the end of the rainbow.

No, this is what you said "WOW...According to Barbarian Soliai is the best NT in the NFL. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA :rolleyes: "

The others was referring to your other comments not other posters. Listen We are not always going to agree so lets be constructive in our criticism. I apologies if I have come across to negative in the past and will do better not to jump on you or other poster to hastily.

DreReed83, on 09 February 2011 - 06:14 PM, said:

How about no? This guys good but there are better NTs in the game.

such as ?

This is what you stated after I saaid "There are better NT's in the game."

You said SUCH AS? So this statement leads me to believe that you don't think there are any NTs better than him. So there IS relevance to my posts. Thank you.

If you can find me a better Dlineman that has a likely chance of hitting free agency Im all ears.

He is better than what we have. What we have is a guy playing out of position (improve 2 DL positions in one signing) and a 2nd-year guy who struggled mightily. How is a 4 yr vet that dominated when he got his shot and entering his prime worse than that? This guy was the only player I saw out-muscle Wood all season. Gailey couldnt get his nuts out of his mouth in the post game too. There isnt a better signing the Bills could make.

Yes but that isn't saying much. I wouldn't overpay and pay him anything to have him come to Buffalo. Is he good? Sure. Is he better than any NT we have now? Who isn't?

If you can find me a better Dlineman that has a likely chance of hitting free agency Im all ears.

He is better than what we have. What we have is a guy playing out of position (improve 2 DL positions in one signing) and a 2nd-year guy who struggled mightily. How is a 4 yr vet that dominated when he got his shot and entering his prime worse than that? This guy was the only player I saw out-muscle Wood all season. Gailey couldnt get his nuts out of his mouth in the post game too. There isnt a better signing the Bills could make.

Dominated? Care to back that up? He's good, not great. He was good in his 4th year. Troup is entering his second year and that's when you see big gains (see Raji) If the price is right, sure bring him in. But don't break the bank on a guy with one decent year under his belt. Besides he played with much better talent than we have around him. I'm just saying if you're going to spend big, go for a ILB and/or a RT.

Edited by Green Lightning

Dominated? Care to back that up? He's good, not great. He was good in his 4th year. Troup is entering his second year and that's when you see big gains (see Raji) If the price is right, sure bring him in. But don't break the bank on a guy with one decent year under his belt. Besides he played with much better talent than we have around him. I'm just saying if you're going to spend big, go for a ILB and/or a RT.

I agree. The whole "this guy was dominate this year" is a crock of BS. Didn't hear his name once in either game we played them this year.

Exactly my point. Well said.

This is just the kind of signing that could spark a rejuvination in our Defense, and it reminds me of the late 1980's Bills - they add some players and go from nobodies to Champions. Imagine Soliai and a 1st round OLB or DE, and our D goes from last to promising - I just can't stop believing that we are going to begin seeing the Bills rebuilt, and come into their own again. Wannstedt on our D-staff, to do to it what Gailey has done to our offense. A draft ripe with D-personnel in the mold we need. Injured players coming back healthy. Our guys played with heart last year, and had we began the season playing like we ended it, we'd of been probably 8-8. A new uniform... perfect timing. We are going to prune out the guys who didn't fit right last year, and going forward we're going to be a young, increasingly talented, respectable team again.

DreReed83, on 09 February 2011 - 06:14 PM, said:

How about no? This guys good but there are better NTs in the game.

such as ?

This is what you stated after I saaid "There are better NT's in the game."

You said SUCH AS? So this statement leads me to believe that you don't think there are any NTs better than him. So there IS relevance to my posts. Thank you.

I see. I thought you were referring to freeagents not everyone, also when I said such as I wanted you to say who you thought was better, that's all. I'm not a very sarcastic person unless I say something totally ridiculous or use certain emoticons.

No hard feelings.

we have 2 nose tackles now. one a probowler and the other drafted last year. not going to happen.

169-170 yards per game allowed on the ground. Pro-bowler and promising second year guy did little to hold that sat back. I like Kyle Williams, but he's not a nose tackle. He's a pure penetrating DT, who might be able to play a bit of DE in a 3-4.

casey hampton got 3 years 21 mil so i'd say throw 5 years 35 mil and sign this guy up...fills a need for us on that line and would allow us to go for a different position at the top of the draft.

I agree with you, whatever it takes to get this guy. I love KW as our NT but I think he would be an all pro at DE as well. The more beef and motors we have on the front makes our LB's that much more dangerous.

It'd be nice, but it's been a long time since Ralph shelled out big bucks for an upper-echelon FA (and that the guy wanted to come here - there certainly may have been offers refused). The last one I can remember is Takeo Spikes.

Ralph shelled out big bucks to Dockery and Evans a couple fo years back. There's a lot of things to knock Wilson on, but spending cash on FA's and players isn't one of them.

We have a player like Kyle Williams who makes the Pro Bowl at DT and we have a solid rookie DT with good upside. We also have a project DT in the guy we picked up from Oakland.

Now look at our OTs, ILBs and TEs. We have nothing. Tell me there is no better signing we could make and that makes me laugh. Who is our RT? If we could sign Soliali I would be happy for sure, however, if I were GM I would be targeting RT, ILB and TE. We have crappy talent in all three positions.

As much as I like Williams, he is not big enough to be a NT in a 3-4 defense (much like VM is also not big enough). Williams would be great rotating in in certain packages.

I hope Troupe surprises, but most "experts" thought it was a stretch taking him in the 2nd, and I have not seen anything remotely special from him. Besides, he isn't really THAT big anyway for the NT position (6-3, 314).

Bottom line is, we can try to survive with what we have (LAST PLACE RUN D). Or we can try to get better. I don't know if Soliai is the answer, but we need something. Remember what Ted Washington and then Pat Williams did for our defenses? Thats what we need.

I commented on the dude that said we should pay him whatever it takes to get him here. So I said NO? How is that not going along with others? Game set match. :thumbdown:

You called someone out in a post responding to someone else's post. Not to mention that Barbarian never said anything about him being the best NT in the league. I understand you are probably just trying to be funny but you still failed. Game set match.

So, if I understand the gist of this thread, if we only had a huge NT playing for us last year then our DEs and LBs would have been able to set edges, take good angles, shed blocks, make tackles, and we would have been great against the run.

Right.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9