Report: Dolphins NT Soliai to hit open market

Marshmallow

I'd be in favor of anything that helps the Bills and hurts the Dolphins. That is, if we're still running a 3-4. What do you guys think of him? I don't know a lot about him.

"The Dolphins reportedly have "zero" chance of re-signing NT Paul Soliai before the onset of free agency in March. Soliai wants to cash in on his breakout second half, which makes it nearly impossible for an extension with the "30 percent" rule in effect. Soliai's camp is expecting a "free-for-all" once he hits the open market. As a run-plugging 350-pounder, he'll be in high demand among teams running 3-4 schemes."

Rotoworld

Miami Herald

number one question is how self-motivated he is.

So true. In one sense, I would love for the Bills to get this guy, but hey, he does have only one quality season under his belt. That season, being a contract year, makes it difficult to separate whether he became a good player late or simply played for a contract.

Bills need to make this happen! I remember Gailey liking how Soliai played and payed compliments to him! It was after our second game with the phins. We couldn't run up the middle thanks to this guy. So how bad does nix want to upgrade our D? Imo, this is a perfect opportunity. And yes it does give us other options in the draft.

casey hampton got 3 years 21 mil so i'd say throw 5 years 35 mil and sign this guy up...fills a need for us on that line and would allow us to go for a different position at the top of the draft.

Or to make the position even more of a strength

There should be two NT's in the draft we can go after in rounds 2-4, that I know of, maybe up to 4, depending on their size, that could be drafted between rounds 2-4 and be a starter for us. Probably they'd all need to rotate for a year. In F.A., Soliai is the only NT I'm aware of becoming available that I really like. I think we'll add that type of player, so I think the Bills should do their best to sign him if F.A. happens before the draft. If it doesn't, and we don't draft a NT, then signing him would be that much harder, since he'd have more leverage.

Imagine if we drafted someone like Dareus in round one, and picked up Soliai in F.A. - we'd have K. Williams, Soliai, and Dareus lining up wreaking havoc on opposing RB's and QB's. That line would be hard to run on, and it'd still manage pressure. Mixing in D. Edwards, Carrington, and Troupe would give us one of the best D-lines in the game. Or, I'd like to see us grab Quinn, then Phil Taylor (if F.A. is after the draft) - and that would give us Williams, Taylor, Carrington/Edwards - I think Carrington will merit full time playing this year, so I'd be happy with that, too.

It's hard for me not to spout frothy excitement over the upcoming draft - I really have a feeling we'll be able to grab three or four starters to our team this year - and I think we're going to have a lot more playmakers on Defense this year, enough to compliment our offense and give our team a chance, down the line, at making the playoffs.

we have 2 nose tackles now. one a probowler and the other drafted last year. not going to happen.

If it does not happen, it won't be because we have 2 NTs already. Kyle was most effective this year in our 4-3 alignment. When playing the zero, he was not performing better than Solai, and was a liability himself at times against the run when playing as a true nose.

Dude is a beast, no doubt. I would love to see him in whatever new jersey Buffalo is sporting next year.

A beast? Says who? He played on a solid run defense with a few pro bowl LB's behind him. He had 33 tackles (KW had 54) and 2 sacks. He didn't make the pro bowl and the Bills even beat them. What has he done that is so lock-down beastly that we should shell out those kind of buck for a guy with one decent year under his belt? We have KW and Troup should be ready to step up next year. If you're going to drop big coin, get a ILB and/or a RT.

He is big and he is Somoan. But other than that the only thing going for him was putting up #'s in the 2nd half of his 4th NFL season. With Williams and Troupe I'd tread carefully here, I'd only make a move if the price is right. We have too many other needs to address in FA to put all our eggs in this one basket, if that's what the price represents.

The Bills need a mean arse Simoan on their team. Especially on the D Line.

Kidding aside, this guy seemed to play pretty well for the Dolphins. He certainly is not the big name player, but as has been mentioned run-stuffing, gap-plugging NT's for a 3-4 are hard to come by in the NFL.

We'd have stiff competition.

But for the right price, he could be a good fit.

I'd be in favor of anything that helps the Bills and hurts the Dolphins. That is, if we're still running a 3-4. What do you guys think of him? I don't know a lot about him.

"The Dolphins reportedly have "zero" chance of re-signing NT Paul Soliai before the onset of free agency in March. Soliai wants to cash in on his breakout second half, which makes it nearly impossible for an extension with the "30 percent" rule in effect. Soliai's camp is expecting a "free-for-all" once he hits the open market. As a run-plugging 350-pounder, he'll be in high demand among teams running 3-4 schemes."

Rotoworld

Miami Herald

First Miami is stupid for letting a good nose go, kinda like us for letting Ted Washington and Pat Williams go. Second we should be all over this as long as the price isn't outrageous. Proven talent is always better than the potential of a draft pick, plus then we could use the pick for another player than drafting a big nose.

A beast? Says who? He played on a solid run defense with a few pro bowl LB's behind him. He had 33 tackles (KW had 54) and 2 sacks. He didn't make the pro bowl and the Bills even beat them. What has he done that is so lock-down beastly that we should shell out those kind of buck for a guy with one decent year under his belt? We have KW and Troup should be ready to step up next year. If you're going to drop big coin, get a ILB and/or a RT.

Thank you.

The guy is good but not better than what we have. Sign an ILB and a RT to plug two massive holes with proven veterans. Then we will have more options in the draft.

Why don't you add real comments to this site instead of being a dumba**

I did add a real comment. Not my fault that you think so highly of this guy. Apparently he's better than Vince Wilfork and Jay Ratliff. Maybe I need to be watching this guy a bit more closely :thumbsup:

I did add a real comment. Not my fault that you think so highly of this guy. Apparently he's better than Vince Wilfork and Jay Ratliff. Maybe I need to be watching this guy a bit more closely :thumbsup:

your last comment wasn't along with many others. No I don't think he is better than Vince and would take him over over Ratliff, I think he is better than what we have and should go after him, that's all.

your last comment wasn't along with many others. No I don't think he is better than Vince and would take him over over Ratliff, I think he is better than what we have and should go after him, that's all.

I commented on the dude that said we should pay him whatever it takes to get him here. So I said NO? How is that not going along with others? Game set match. :thumbdown:

Bills need to make this happen! I remember Gailey liking how Soliai played and payed compliments to him! It was after our second game with the phins. We couldn't run up the middle thanks to this guy. So how bad does nix want to upgrade our D? Imo, this is a perfect opportunity. And yes it does give us other options in the draft.

link

I commented on the dude that said we should pay him whatever it takes to get him here. So I said NO? How is that not going along with others? Game set match. :thumbdown:

No, this is what you said "WOW...According to Barbarian Soliai is the best NT in the NFL. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA :rolleyes: "

The others was referring to your other comments not other posters. Listen We are not always going to agree so lets be constructive in our criticism. I apologies if I have come across to negative in the past and will do better not to jump on you or other poster to hastily.

WOW...According to Barbarian Soliai is the best NT in the NFL. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA :rolleyes:

If you can find me a better Dlineman that has a likely chance of hitting free agency Im all ears.

Thank you.

The guy is good but not better than what we have. Sign an ILB and a RT to plug two massive holes with proven veterans. Then we will have more options in the draft.

He is better than what we have. What we have is a guy playing out of position (improve 2 DL positions in one signing) and a 2nd-year guy who struggled mightily. How is a 4 yr vet that dominated when he got his shot and entering his prime worse than that? This guy was the only player I saw out-muscle Wood all season. Gailey couldnt get his nuts out of his mouth in the post game too. There isnt a better signing the Bills could make.

It's a hard fact that we are in dire need of a Samaoan/ Phillipines player. Even better as Defensive. Best as NT!

But not this year. Miami can still get him back. This year is the best draft year for Def line. hmmm. Someone like the Jets who hope for revenge this year might be wild with money. The SB window can close quickly.

I bet if he leaves Miami we still have to play against him.

Maybe we should grab him just for that reason. How much did you say he was going to cost? are we in a position to trade down with Miami?

Lastly, not for nothin' but how does Starks look to us if they keep Sol?

we have 2 nose tackles now. one a probowler and the other drafted last year. not going to happen.

We have a D-line that gives up 170+ yards a game rushing, applies zero pressure on passing downs and whose sack count and turnover rate is abysmal. In her prime Mother Theresa could start for us. Sign this beast and then get the best impact player whether it be a CB, ILB, OLB or DE that is available at #3.

It'd be nice, but it's been a long time since Ralph shelled out big bucks for an upper-echelon FA (and that the guy wanted to come here - there certainly may have been offers refused). The last one I can remember is Takeo Spikes.

Which is really what it all comes down to...this offseason, expect Ebenezer Wilson to hold this franchise back yet again.

Thank you.

On the contrary, he is better than what we have because HE IS A SPACE EATING, TWO-GAPPER TRUE NT! Miami's run D was ranked 5th in the AFC and 7th in the NFL. He played a major part in that. And we were ranked dead last! Sure KW can penetrate, but he can not take up two gaps and hold the line so our LBs could make plays.