What Is A Good Sized LB ??

T master

Every time i read any thing about Von Miller out of Texas A&M they say there is one worry about the kid . He is only 6' 3" tall & 237 lbs ??? I don't get it !!

I just went and looked up the height & weight of Merriman 6'4" tall 264 & Brian Urlacher he's 6' 4" tall & 255 lbs . So what's the big difference ??

Von Miller is still a youngster & you would think he will be able to gain 10 to 15 lbs of muscle which would put him at like 252 lbs is that really to small for a LBer ?? If the guy has the motor we have all been hereing about would he be worth our #3 pick ??

You tell me !!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My comments on the DraftTek mock about to be released, where we pick Quinn:

"Buddy Nix said the other day that he liked the Bills OLB's. Sure, they have Kelsay and Maybin, and get a hospital ward full of LB's back -- Coleman, Moats, Merriman, Ellison, Torbor-- but aren't you still feeling like the skinny kid at the beach? The finely-chiseled 270 lb. Quinn has sick pass rush ability (I liked the last NC pass rusher a lot) to match athletic rush and coverage skills that have improved steadily. The still-humble Quinn, who coach Butch Davis calls "The Beast", can line up as a DE or OLB, much the same way Peppers was used. Von Miller will have to bulk up to get 20 lbs. lighter than Quinn. Quinn will dominate the combine. And would you rather have a Beast, a Von, or a Prince?"

Quinn will clean up at the combine. He broke Peppers' 40 yard dash record for LB's at NC, and will eclipse 4.50 there. The NC safety Deunta Williams says they call Quinn "Hercules". One of the 49'er analysts said Quinn will be "a clone to Dwight Freeney - only bigger, faster, and stronger."

I think a 3-4 would wear Von Miller down; that's my opinion. Von Miller is a good 4-3 selection, and less so a 3-4 selection. Either way, he may be good, but he won't be an every-down LB. I actually have Aldon Smith ahead of Miller as my personal #2 OLB choice, with Miller 3rd.

Depends on the type of LB, for one.

At Sam you want a bull with golf shoes, that is to say, you want a big body, heavy and strong, but can bounce around the field moving toward the LOS at the drop of a hat. I'd say that he doesn't need to be over 6' to be great and a he just have to be agile enough to move to the play.

At Will you would prefer someone who is tall enough to match up with a TE, quick enough drop in to coverage, back peddling or covering pass routes, as well as plug the middle. He will, from time to time, be responsible for one gap of the running game, so he cannot be a slouch, either. He probably would be the taller of the LB's, maybe an ideal height around 6'2" + and not too heavy, between 230-260.

At Mike, you want someone who can keep the QB in the pocket and take down any RB breaking out to the flats. Height to him might not be the biggest factor, speed and agility being key for this man, over 6'2" and weighing around 250 would be ideal.

At Roger you want someone strong enough to beat the blocker and get to the QB while maintaining the contain, being quick enough to get back there in 4 seconds. This could be the strongest and largest LB, he or the Sam. He would be the one who stands 6'6" 270, such as Julius Peppers.

People are surprised at the speed of which an NFL play happens, and my coaches used to tell me at DE/OLB that I had 4 seconds to be exactly where I need to be or I didn't do my hob.

Depends on the type of LB, for one.

At Sam you want a bull with golf shoes, that is to say, you want a big body, heavy and strong, but can bounce around the field moving toward the LOS at the drop of a hat. I'd say that he doesn't need to be over 6' to be great and a he just have to be agile enough to move to the play.

At Will you would prefer someone who is tall enough to match up with a TE, quick enough drop in to coverage, back peddling or covering pass routes, as well as plug the middle. He will, from time to time, be responsible for one gap of the running game, so he cannot be a slouch, either. He probably would be the taller of the LB's, maybe an ideal height around 6'2" + and not too heavy, between 230-260.

At Mike, you want someone who can keep the QB in the pocket and take down any RB breaking out to the flats. Height to him might not be the biggest factor, speed and agility being key for this man, over 6'2" and weighing around 250 would be ideal.

At Roger you want someone strong enough to beat the blocker and get to the QB while maintaining the contain, being quick enough to get back there in 4 seconds. This could be the strongest and largest LB, he or the Sam. He would be the one who stands 6'6" 270, such as Julius Peppers.

People are surprised at the speed of which an NFL play happens, and my coaches used to tell me at DE/OLB that I had 4 seconds to be exactly where I need to be or I didn't do my hob.

jboys do you know what does Miller project at?

I just looked at another LB Clay Matthews 6'3" tall 255 if Miller can gain 18 lbs & play like this guy i'm all in !!! just to answer my own question !

Might be written by a family member with all the unabashed praise but....

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/425166-robert-quinn-the-monster-off-the-edge

Von millers physical talent can be had later. Quinns can't. Just something to think about. Obviously there's a lot of other factors but running a 4.38 at 265 and holding the schools strength records for the d-line.... Beast of rare form. Definitely question marks though.

"Buddy Nix said the other day that he liked the Bills OLB's. Sure, they have Kelsay and Maybin, and get a hospital ward full of LB's back -- Coleman, Moats, Merriman, Ellison, Torbor-- but aren't you still feeling like the skinny kid at the beach? The finely-chiseled 270 lb. Quinn has sick pass rush ability (I liked the last NC pass rusher a lot) to match athletic rush and coverage skills that have improved steadily. The still-humble Quinn, who coach Butch Davis calls "The Beast", can line up as a DE or OLB, much the same way Peppers was used. Von Miller will have to bulk up to get 20 lbs. lighter than Quinn. Quinn will dominate the combine. And would you rather have a Beast, a Von, or a Prince?"

Quinn will clean up at the combine. He broke Peppers' 40 yard dash record for LB's at NC, and will eclipse 4.50 there. The NC safety Deunta Williams says they call Quinn "Hercules". One of the 49'er analysts said Quinn will be "a clone to Dwight Freeney - only bigger, faster, and stronger."

I think a 3-4 would wear Von Miller down; that's my opinion. Von Miller is a good 4-3 selection, and less so a 3-4 selection. Either way, he may be good, but he won't be an every-down LB. I actually have Aldon Smith ahead of Miller as my personal #2 OLB choice, with Miller 3rd.

Good post.

If Nix is really happy with our current cast of OLBs then I am very concerned. To hear him talk about Urbik, Pears and Rhinehart he acts like he found the next Electric Company.

Nix has a lot to prove as a GM, starting right now.

...I think a 3-4 would wear Von Miller down; that's my opinion. Von Miller is a good 4-3 selection, and less so a 3-4 selection. Either way, he may be good, but he won't be an every-down LB. I actually have Aldon Smith ahead of Miller as my personal #2 OLB choice, with Miller 3rd.

Well, that is good to know. Everyone has a right to their opinion and you express your's reasonably without putting

others' opinions down and that's great. However, I have reasons not to be so excited about Robert Quinn -

1. he didn't play last year at all. Now, I'm not viewing contact with an agent early as a huge red flag, but he

truly had a full year off and how do we know that he wasn't a one-year wonder or that offenses might not have

found a way to neutralize him if he had played this year.

2. Quinn played in the ACC - a major conference, but surely not the toughest.

3. North Carolina's defense was STACKED. How good was Quinn and how good did he look because offenses

had to worry about Marvin Austin and Robert Carter too? Was Quinn the reason those guys looked good or

did he look good because of them and others?

4. Can Quinn play OLB in a 3-4? He was a college DE, but is as undersized to play 3-4 DE as Miller is to

play 3-4 OLB.

5. Can Quinn play 3-4 OLB? Is he athletic/fast/quick enough to play the run wide in the NFL? (Opposite

question of Miller who is clearly athletic enough, but is he big enough?).

To be clear, I am not saying that Quinn might not be a great choice. I am saying that there are no

players who don't have some kind of question(s) attached to them.

jboys do you know what does Miller project at?

DraftTek has him @ 13th to Detroit while being the 9th best player in the draft.

I do not follow the draft hype much nor do I rank players but Astro and Co. do a good job and I just go with what they say.

Props to Astrobot & The Draft Tek to having their own opinion.

If Quinn could play OLB it would be a faster more athletic Lamar Woodley! Now that is a beast and worthy of a #3 overall pick imo.

Von Miller will be a good player but there is nothing other worldly about his play or potential.

Jeremy Beal in 2nd or 3rd has 95% the same potential as Von Miller.

I just don't get the fascination with VM. I wish somebody can explain it to me without talking about Mike Mayock.

Just as a point of reference the GMs and coaches of actual NFL teams that actually make picks in the NFL have only drafted 3 LBs in the Top 5 since 1996

1996 #2 Kevin Hardy LB

2006 #4 A.J. Hawk LB

2009 #4 Aaron Curry LB

I don't even see the hyperbole by draftnicks around Von Miller as there was around Aaron Curry.

The only reason I doubt Quinn is the pick is Buddy Nix has had an odd prediliction for team captains in the 2010 draft.

Not only has Marcell Dareus been a 1 man wrecking crew in the SEC, has as many Pick6s as Patrick Peterson; He was the team captain in Alabama.

I'm just saying . . .

I'm thinking we can come up with some Dinosaur nick names; you know like Marcellasaurus

BTW to the OP Von Miller measured at 237 at the Senior Bowl, if he really did measure 243 during the season then lost 6 pounds before the Senior Bowl, one could speculate that Miller doesn't have the physiology to gain weight easily. A lot of time the big boys come in heavier and have to make weight after periods of inactivity (holiday family cooking, etc).

Plus 237-255(a Good Target for Miller's NFL weight) = 18 pounds of muscle mass. This isn't an easy feat, yes they are athletic but not everybody can just pound on muscle NATURALLY. 22 pounds represents ~8% of Miller's current body mass so basically Miller needs to grow by 108% on an already worked on frame in a Big12 program. I'm not saying that he can't. He is still young. I'm just saying the extra weight would have helped play LB\DE in college. Beal is already 6'3" 260 why not get the already NFL sized player. Who knows if Miller still has that speed and quickness with 18 extra pounds on him.

Edited by Why So Serious?

In today's world do guys ever really add muscle? How many of these college athletes can actually add muscle to their frame without juice? And even if they do add twenty pounds there is no way that doesn't affect their quickness. In addition to not drafting guys that haven't played their projected position in the NFL, how about we just draft guys that are all grow'd up???

In today's world do guys ever really add muscle? How many of these college athletes can actually add muscle to their frame without juice? And even if they do add twenty pounds there is no way that doesn't affect their quickness. In addition to not drafting guys that haven't played their projected position in the NFL, how about we just draft guys that are all grow'd up???

You mean let's get guys that are already freaks? Not hope they turn into them? Let me repeat 4.38 dash at 265 lbs. Beat peppers in both bench press and in the 40 by over a tenth of a second. How many of our receivers could out run him? Evans and Parrish?

If choosing between two guys that are strong for their size.... Why not the monstrous one not the undersized one?

I still vote dareus right now, but Quinn is over miller in my book

Edited by NoSaint

You mean let's get guys that are already freaks? Not hope they turn into them? Let me repeat 4.38 dash at 265 lbs. Beat peppers in both bench press and in the 40 by over a tenth of a second. How many of our receivers could out rub him? Evans and Parrish?

If choosing between two guys that are strong for their size.... Why not the monstrous one not the undersized one?

:unsure:

GO BILLS!!!