What Is A Good Sized LB ??

T master

Can someone explain to me why they think it is perfectly feasible to say Miller = Maybin, simply because they are the same weight, but its not ok to say Quinn = Maybin because both of them are/were one year wonders?

So it's ok to draft risky one year wonders if they are fat?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain to me why they think it is perfectly feasible to say Miller = Maybin, simply because they are the same weight, but its not ok to say Quinn = Maybin because both of them are/were one year wonders?

If he's a fat 265 and running a 4.38 40 yard dash, more power to the kid.

I think one year wonders that are physically not special are a bad recipe. Maybin has both strikes but I think it's easier to overcome only playing 2 years of college ball then it is to overcome being small.

One is a physical issue, one could just be an experience issue. Von miller goes back for a year we know he doesn't come out 20lbs heavier. If Quinn played last year he could have dominated. Or he couldve flopped.

Neither comparison truly fair but I see why some would say size is a bigger issue.

It's my opinion...I don't think Beal is well-suited to play in a 3-4 defense. I think his strongest attribute is rushing the passer from the 9-technique.

I don't remember saying that "20 sacks in 2 years is nothing"; I believe what I said was that 20 sacks in 27 games (0.74 sacks/game) is significantly different from 28 sacks in 20 games (1.4 sacks/game). With precisely what part of that statement do you take exception?

Regarding the Senior Bowl, as I said, I don't feel that Beal fits as a 3-4 rush LB. He's a good pass rusher, but he's not a fluid athlete like Miller. He looks stiff when changing directions, and if I notice it when he's defending the run from the DE position, I have to believe it'll get exposed quickly in pass coverage as an OLB.

I agree on the coverage ability, imo those are both areas that Miller and Beal need to work on. Miller is more athletic and should be able to be coached up faster. That doesn't mean Beal won't. It is possible that they will both be good players, don't you think?

My point is you're getting a NFL sized player that has a nice track record and imo can contribute very quickly at a lower cost than #3 overall in Beal. Yeah Miller is quicker and a little more agile but who knows what happens when he is at his NFL playing weight of 255.

How many Buffalo Bills get a 0.74 sacks per game?

As for 300 lb DTs with "proven track records", I find it funny that you're asking me this, since you discredit Miller's college production as meaningless in comparison to what he'll need to do in the NFL. Nevertheless, my opinion on 2nd-3rd round DTs that fit Buffalo's scheme? Here are a few that I like:

Phil Taylor - will go somewhere between picks 25 and 40 is my guess; could play NT in a 3-4 or DT in a 4-3.

Muhammad Wilkerson - another early 2nd round pick; love him as a potential 3-4 end.

Christian Ballard - mid-2nd or early 3rd round pick; overshadowed a bit my Adrian Clayborne, but may be a better NFL prospect.

Jerrell Powe - potential 3-4 NT type that doesn't light up the stat sheet, but can occupy blockers and anchor down.

Those are just my thoughts though; who, pray tell, can you say is a proven DT that goes 300 lbs and can go sideline-to-sideline, rush the passer, and collapse the pocket in the NFL?

Marcellasaurus

I like Phil Taylor and Powe but it's a stretch to say that they have the same athletic ability as Marcell Dareus

For Example just look at the agility, balance and speed for a 300 pounder on this one play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=insLuoYsDXw

BTW did I mention that Marcell Dareus has as many pick6s as Patrick Peterson

Its hard to argue that Powe or Taylor have the ability to do the same thing.

Not to mention Miller doesn't have great hands (even Mike Mayock said that) and if Miller were in same spot as Dareus on that play its not likely Miller would have reeled in.

IMO the Bills need another 1 man wrecking crew on the D-Line that can play multiple positions. You have Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus on the same line and opposing offenses need to designate 3-4 people to block them. Thats going to make our LBs look a lot cleaner. Pick up a Beal in 3rd and give him an opportunity to learn from Merriman and give him lots of 1-on-1 because of Kyle Williams and Dareus and you have an upgrade imo.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I like Miller but Quinn is not fat.

I have concerns about both Miller and Quinn, but prefer the physical beast that is Quinn to Miller based on what I have seen. Quinn is a #3 talent with some risks. Miller will be a good player, but I don't think an impact worthy of the #3 spot. I still like Dareus here, but am warming up to Quinn if the character and football smarts questions get answered positively.

I also think that Fairley will slide a little between the championship game wrecking crew and the draft. Not sure if that is enough for him to slide out of #1 and if so all the way to #3, but I think it is at least 50/50 he will not be the top pick.

PDaDdy, I like your 1-2-3 in your sig line. Quinn, Martez Wilson, Powe would do a lot to stop the bleeding in this run defense. I like that better than this week's DraftTek Mock. I put a Grab in for Wilson in RD2, but Tampa Bay took him at #20 in RD1. Mark my words, there will be a run on DE's in this draft, and Wilson would be a target in a trade-down---112 Tackles, 11.5 TFL and 4 sacks on a team that went through 2 coaching changeovers? Woof!

Ramius, Quinn is as far from fat as you can imagine. He's known as Hercules for a reason. Chiseled is the description I like best.

Fair enough on dez - my math put it that he and crabtree were both possibly the most talented player in there draft. Crabtree a diva, Dez a diva that missed a year. Crab dropped to 10, Dez dropped another 10. Certainly not science.

As for size - I guess my argument is VM had 4 years in a big program. Quinn put up those numbers after two. If one is more likely to get bigger stronger and faster.... Doesn't initial logic say Quinn?

Also, like was said why get the big guy who is already slow when you can get miller and hope he doesnt lose speed--- why get miller who is smaller and possibly slower when you can get the big strong fast guy. As much as I'd love a zach Thomas or London Fletcher on this team (undersized gamers).... Imagine adding a freeney or a guy that is stronger and considerably faster then Julius peppers.

Where miller would have to overachieve, Quinn could just be average for a guy with his body and be just as good if not better.

Was Crabtree dealing with legal issues? Accusations about him and Deion? I guess you failed to read my posts THOROUGHLY like everyone else; thus making yourself look ridiculous. That was some serious stuff he was going through that teams just didn't want to deal with. If you noticed i stated "other issues" but I guess i have to spell it out for everyone who's not in the loop. This guy was rated a top 10 player by most teams. If he didn't have all that crp on his record, there's NO WAY he would;ve been drafted that late.

Edited by DreReed83

Was Crabtree dealing with legal issues? Accusations about him and Deion? I guess you failed to read my posts THOROUGHLY like everyone else; thus making yourself look ridiculous. That was some serious stuff he was going through that teams just didn't want to deal with. If you noticed i stated "other issues" but I guess i have to spell it out for everyone who's not in the loop. This guy was rated a top 10 player by most teams. If he didn't have all that crp on his record, there's NO WAY he would;ve been drafted that late.

Sorry?