Pre-game reading of the Declaration of Independence

I cannot agree more!

When I first heard it I refrained from laughing because the whole patriotic thing but as it went by, more and more, the athletes, coaches and owners reading it I couldn't hold it in...until the troops began to read it.

My favorite part was watching Giunta. For whatever reason, just looking at it them, it seemed like something clicked in him and he realized just how amazing his story is...

Cheesy as all-get-out, but I was actually close to tears just listening to it read like that.

I thought that it was pretty cool. I always hear references to the flag as if it is what our troops are fighting for when it is in fact our Constitution which is what is most important. Without the liberties outlined in the Bill of Rights, America means nothing.

I personally find the proliferation of nationalism obscene. I don't want religion forced down my throat and I don't want government forced down my throat. The best part of our constitution is its allowance for changing the document itself, which means that the best part of our country is the people in it and their abilities and ideas. The constitution itself was written by people who if alive today would find the world unrecognizable to what it was when they were alive and their greatest legacy is that foresight and providing later generations a way to deal with what they knew they could never know.

Edited by SuperKillerRobots

I personally find the proliferation of nationalism obscene. I don't want religion forced down my throat and I don't want government forced down my throat. The best part of our constitution is its allowance for changing the document itself, which means that the best part of our country is the people in it and their abilities and ideas. The constitution itself was written by people who if alive today would find the world unrecognizable to what it was when they were alive and their greatest legacy is that foresight and providing later generations a way to deal with what they knew they could never know.

It was also written during a time when one had to fight, struggle, and sacrifice in order to have the freedom to decide they don't want ideas/concepts "forced down their throats". People who are perfectly fine and content enjoying the freedoms and prosperity that was attained on the backs of those who have sacrificed on our behalf, who have no sense of appreciation or reverence, and who actually criticize its demonstration by others, are dickfuks.

In reading your response, I wonder if you were given the opportunity to study world and american history in school, or was it just another watered down curriculum that offered it as an elective.

First. They were reading the "Declaration of Independence", the reasons for rebelling against England. It was not a document for establishing a nation.

Second. Before the "Constitution" was the "Articles of Confederation", a document which loosely bound the individual colonies -which were in effect separate countries-. However, those colony/countries did in fact force religion upon any one who wished to settle within their borders.

Third. The "Constitution" was drawn up after the "Articles" failed. This all happened well after the "Declaration" in 1776. The other documents came in 1783 and 1789. The main thrust of the "Constitution" was to create one nation with a weak non intrusive federal government. The 1st Amendment which was adaopted later was to protect your right to freely practice any religion you wish without the government telling which one, in addition to other rights.

Finally. If a TV station wishes to air what it did, and you don't like it, you are free to mute or turn it off. That is your right.

I saw it more as an NFL attempt to identify itself even more as the all-American sport. I wonder if that piece showed in other countries. Considering Colin Powell is a officially a Republican although he endorsed Obama, I can't figure any one political party gained anything from it.

Yep, it was on here (in Oz).

I thought that it was pretty cool. I always hear references to the flag as if it is what our troops are fighting for when it is in fact our Constitution which is what is most important. Without the liberties outlined in the Bill of Rights, America means nothing.

Hey, replace King George with our modern-era leaders and the document is as applicable today as it was then.

I think every citizen would do well to review their own rights periodically, lest we forget ...

~~~

The Bill of Rights:

First Amendment – Establishment Clause, Free Exercise Clause; freedom of speech, of the press, and of assembly; right to petition

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Second Amendment – Militia (United States), Sovereign state, Right to keep and bear arms.

A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. [5]

Third Amendment – Protection from quartering of troops.

No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Fourth Amendment – Protection from unreasonable search and seizure.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Fifth Amendment – due process, double jeopardy, self-incrimination, eminent domain.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Sixth Amendment – Trial by jury and rights of the accused; Confrontation Clause, speedy trial, public trial, right to counsel

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense.

Seventh Amendment – Civil trial by jury.

In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Eighth Amendment – Prohibition of excessive bail and cruel and unusual punishment.

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Ninth Amendment – Protection of rights not specifically enumerated in the Constitution.

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Tenth Amendment – Powers of States and people.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

~~~

The Declaration of Independence uses the term "unalienable Rights", yet our above rights have been and are being constantly assaulted by our modern-era leaders. Like sheep, we accept pat-downs, random checkpoints, crackdowns on free speech that is not deemed politically-correct, taking guns from lawful citizens (Katrina), Feds illegally trumping state laws, and on-and-on. The Founding Fathers knew what tyranny was first hand, so let's give them some credit that perhaps they knew what they were doing when they created the U. S. Constitution.

plus many. you know where else nationalism is big? china. it was big in germany. big in japan. it's a sickness and usually a sign that people are getting ripped off and/or asked to do things that aren't in their best interests.

keep nationalism and politics away from football as much as possible.

At the risk of being removed by our ever diligent moderators, (again), I will tone down my response to your opinion.

I agree that the best part of our country is the people in it and their abilities and ideas. I strongly disagree that national pride should be labeled "nationalism." And I find nothing "obscene" about film producers, sports producers, or TV producers putting together a wonderful short film on the Declaration of Independence.

As for any political motivations I may have surmise were the reasons behind why that wonderful short film was put together on Super Bowl Sunday, I will simply leave those to myself. (This time.) :rolleyes:

Nobody was forcing anything down your throat. If you didn't want to hear it, then just change the channel. This wasn't about government, it was about the beauty of the document itself. You seem to have grasped that concept. It was about the foresight that the founding fathers had and the freedoms that they made sure we have.

They read the DoI? wow interesting. I didn't turn the pre-game on until 6:15 (it was am here in Thailand). What does it have to do with the SB? Actually there are lots of nationalist practices that happen in places all over the world. People do put too much emphasis on that kind of stuff (IMO) but if the DoI were actually listened to (and understood) you would think that Americans would think about revolution instead of feeling good.

They read the DoI? wow interesting. I didn't turn the pre-game on until 6:15 (it was am here in Thailand). What does it have to do with the SB? Actually there are lots of nationalist practices that happen in places all over the world. People do put too much emphasis on that kind of stuff (IMO) but if the DoI were actually listened to (and understood) you would think that Americans would think about revolution instead of feeling good.

yup. i know i live in a more free society than the u.s. the police spend most of their time drinking tea.

if the DoI were actually listened to (and understood) you would think that Americans would think about revolution instead of feeling good.

Good point bowery. We should all have a better understanding of the Declaration and Constitution. I have to admit I need to brush up on this myself.

Hey, replace King George with our modern-era leaders and the document is as applicable today as it was then.

I think every citizen would do well to review their own rights periodically, lest we forget ...

~~~

The Bill of Rights:

First Amendment – Establishment Clause, Free Exercise Clause; freedom of speech, of the press, and of assembly; right to petition

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Second Amendment – Militia (United States), Sovereign state, Right to keep and bear arms.

A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. [5]

Third Amendment – Protection from quartering of troops.

No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Fourth Amendment – Protection from unreasonable search and seizure.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Fifth Amendment – due process, double jeopardy, self-incrimination, eminent domain.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Sixth Amendment – Trial by jury and rights of the accused; Confrontation Clause, speedy trial, public trial, right to counsel

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense.

Seventh Amendment – Civil trial by jury.

In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Eighth Amendment – Prohibition of excessive bail and cruel and unusual punishment.

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Ninth Amendment – Protection of rights not specifically enumerated in the Constitution.

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Tenth Amendment – Powers of States and people.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

~~~

The Declaration of Independence uses the term "unalienable Rights", yet our above rights have been and are being constantly assaulted by our modern-era leaders. Like sheep, we accept pat-downs, random checkpoints, crackdowns on free speech that is not deemed politically-correct, taking guns from lawful citizens (Katrina), Feds illegally trumping state laws, and on-and-on. The Founding Fathers knew what tyranny was first hand, so let's give them some credit that perhaps they knew what they were doing when they created the U. S. Constitution.

:worthy: Well said, sir.

I think this the 3rd time they have done this during the pre-game and I absolutely love it.

I'd be happy if they did this every year at the Super Bowl.

Heck Id even be happy if they taught the kids in school this still today. I know a guy that has kids in the state of Washington and they still do the Pledge to the flag. I think thats great. What I dont think is great is the students dont have to stand and put their hands on their hearts and recite it. This particular student said of the 20 in her home room she is the only one that stands. That my friends (even the nazi's that have posted the hatred of these things here) is sad!!!

At the risk of being removed by our ever diligent moderators, (again), I will tone down my response to your opinion.

I agree that the best part of our country is the people in it and their abilities and ideas. I strongly disagree that national pride should be labeled "nationalism." And I find nothing "obscene" about film producers, sports producers, or TV producers putting together a wonderful short film on the Declaration of Independence.

As for any political motivations I may have surmise were the reasons behind why that wonderful short film was put together on Super Bowl Sunday, I will simply leave those to myself. (This time.) :rolleyes:

Finally, there's hope for you. :flirt:

Sincerely, a Mod

For someone who rales against nationalism and government forced down their throat, that's exactly what this rant sounds like.:huh:

As a Vet, I enjoyed it and was moved by it.

Anyone who watched that and felt like it was nationalistic propaganda or the government being forced down your throat is a completely cynical whack job.

The notion that listening to/reading the Declaration of Independence should lead one to a desire for revolution is absurd.

And to those that compared that poignant moment with Nazi Germany and Imperialist Japan - you people are sick.

Complain if you'd like about the current climate of overpolitization in America, but goodness, it's a stretch to knock the greatest single humanitarian document ever drafted.

I usually don't give too many comments since I have been here on TSW. I did not see this commercial until I read this thread. I did not see this because I am currently serving in South Korea. I only read some of the poster and it has propelled me to speak. The Declamation is the point in history that we as a nation stood up and said we want to became a nation. The articles of confederation have failed. Our forefathers acknowledged this. They also knew that the declaration was a huge risk. We overcame adversity. To take the next step, they wrote the constitution. Our forefathers were so foreseeing, they knew times would change and built in ways to compensate. Over 200 years later, the American flag symbolizes everything American. Freedom, Respect, and all things that makes us happy. No where else in the world is American football as big as it is in the US. American football is a symbol of America as the flag itself. It is so important that those that are serving, are given the opportunity to watch this game to the utmost extent. Watching this game is one of the very few things that we are afforded at all costs to give those overseas a chance to enjoy the states as it happens. To those who have complains, I hope you have a chance to see another side.

GO BILLS!

If you didn't enjoy watching the Declaration of Independence read before the Super Bowl, you could have exercised your right to choose. Choose to change the channel. Choose to mute the TV. Choose to stick your fingers in your ear and scream La-La-La-La until it's over.

Myself, I had no problem with it at all. Of course I make it a point to try to read it every July 4th (I have even posted here a time or two). IMO the Declaration of Independence is something worth reading and remembering.

I usually don't give too many comments since I have been here on TSW. I did not see this commercial until I read this thread. I did not see this because I am currently serving in South Korea. I only read some of the poster and it has propelled me to speak. The Declamation is the point in history that we as a nation stood up and said we want to became a nation. The articles of confederation have failed. Our forefathers acknowledged this. They also knew that the declaration was a huge risk. We overcame adversity. To take the next step, they wrote the constitution. Our forefathers were so foreseeing, they knew times would change and built in ways to compensate. Over 200 years later, the American flag symbolizes everything American. Freedom, Respect, and all things that makes us happy. No where else in the world is American football as big as it is in the US. American football is a symbol of America as the flag itself. It is so important that those that are serving, are given the opportunity to watch this game to the utmost extent. Watching this game is one of the very few things that we are afforded at all costs to give those overseas a chance to enjoy the states as it happens. To those who have complains, I hope you have a chance to see another side.

GO BILLS!

Thank you for your continued service!

at first I was annoyed a little, I have to admit. I just read it as a cheap way for the NFL marketing to weave itself into the fabric of the USA. With increasing regularity, the NFL manages to annoy me and I look at a lot of things skeptically now.

Thinking about it though. It is a great thing. You have 100 million viewers, mostly Americans, why not have the reading while we are all together in front of our televisions?

As a Vet, I enjoyed it and was moved by it.

You guys are the ones I think about whenever I see someone complaining about the pledge of allegiance, our country's heritage, patriotism, etc. I was not able to serve our country due to physical reasons, but my family is overflowing with proud vets dating back to WWI and WWII. People have lost sight of the sacrifices that were made in order to provide for the freedoms we have today and it makes me physically ill at times. Even worse, in appreciation for all that those have put themselves in harms way to protect us - both past and present - our nation repays that by continuing to lose sight of itself. We are becoming a nation of illiterates. We're in the process of bankrupting ourselves. We have complete idiots running for and being elected to congress. Our political system is more concerned with saving face and selfish endeavors than they are doing something for the good of America. It's not right. And it's disgraceful that we have taken such poor care of the land that so many have fought and died for so that we might have better futures.

And now we have people taking issue with the declaration of independence being recited before the super bowl, debating if it was out of place or not, etc. It's never out of place. It's always appropriate. And it's a shame that people have lost sight of that.

GO BILLS!

Thank you for your service for my freedom!

GO BILLS!

Thank you

I just hope the Declaration is getting as much attention and respect on many other message boards as it is getting in this one. Glad to see it read on tv and it's nice to have read it being debated on here because it brings it more due attention.

For clarification purposes I believe the thought of revolution is a last resort. I would much rather a government be changed for the better in the most peaceful way possible.

When I think of the Declaration I think of all past and present who have faught for and continue to fight for what freedoms we have. Let our freedom not erode any further.

Edited by Pilsner

When I think of the Declaration I think of all past and present who have faught for and continue to fight for what freedoms we have.

The above mistake reminds of the bumper sticker:

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Marine

The Marine did their job. The teacher on the other hand :oops:

I just hope the Declaration is getting as much attention and respect on many other message boards as it is getting in this one. Glad to see it read on tv and it's nice to have read it being debated on here because it brings it more due attention.

For clarification purposes I believe the thought of revolution is a last resort. I would much rather a government be changed for the better in the most peaceful way possible.

When I think of the Declaration I think of all past and present who have faught for and continue to fight for what freedoms we have. Let our freedom not erode any further.

Yes, it's wonderful.

But now I am curious how much money the NFL donates to US Military Veterans?

I would hope that the way they wrap themselves in the flag that they are contributing close to $100 million a season.

Somehow I doubt they do......

The above mistake reminds of the bumper sticker:

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Marine

The Marine did their job. The teacher on the other hand :oops:

lol yes I noticed my mistake too. I hate mispelling. Posted on my iPhone rather quickly and wasn't able to fix the error. For how great this phone is it won't let you scroll down far enough to edit/fix anything below an average sized paragraph.

Yes, it's wonderful.

But now I am curious how much money the NFL donates to US Military Veterans?

I would hope that the way they wrap themselves in the flag that they are contributing close to $100 million a season.

Somehow I doubt they do......

Are there any other rules you've made up that we should all know about?