Andre's chances tonight

Corp000085

Well folks, another year of watching the final HOF selection in anticipation... What are Reed's chances this year? I think that this is a weak year. I cannot see deon sanders getting in, faulk is a big question mark. If Thurman wasn't a first ballot HOFer, then neither should Marshall Faulk. I think that Bettis gets in though. I also think Carter gets in. If you put carter in, then you almost have to include Reed. They were very similar receivers playing in the same era. If Reed is to get in, this is the year for it.

I really hope to me making Canton hotel reservations tonight!!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well folks, another year of watching the final HOF selection in anticipation... What are Reed's chances this year? I think that this is a weak year. I cannot see deon sanders getting in, faulk is a big question mark. If Thurman wasn't a first ballot HOFer, then neither should Marshall Faulk. I think that Bettis gets in though. I also think Carter gets in. If you put carter in, then you almost have to include Reed. They were very similar receivers playing in the same era. If Reed is to get in, this is the year for it.

I really hope to me making Canton hotel reservations tonight!!!

Analysts are saying that Sanders and Faulk are locks. Faulk was better than Thomas, IMO.

Are you kidding? Deion was one of the all-time great CBs (teams routinely IGNORED the side of the field he covered) and Marshall Faulk is the best all-purpose back the game has seen. Those 2 guys are locks as far as I'm concerned.

It seems to me the Hall has a knack for letting one WR in at a time, so if Cris Carter gets in, I certainly don't see Reed getting in this year. And vice versa, if Reed is in, then Carter waits another year.

I don't know if I'm in the minority here or not, but I have never really thought of Jerome Bettis as a hall of famer. He was a big, fat battering ram who in 13 pro seasons averaged over 4.0 yards a carry a whooping total of 4 times. The game that defines his career, to me, was the first game in 2004 vs the Raiders...5 carries, 1 yard, 3 TDs. He was a bona-fide FB who was fed the ball in a run first offense for a long period of time.

Edited by machinegun12

Reed deserves to make it but he won't. ESPN and others are doing their best to push so many others I think it will cost reed his birth. I will hate it if Curtis "i run for 3.2 a carry" Martin makes it over him.

Curtis Martin had a career 4.0 yards/carry while AVERAGING nearly 21 carries a game. He was a tremendous and productive workhorse who, I think, deserves the Hall tenfold over Bettis.

I disagree that it's a weak year and don't see how you can dismiss Sanders; he's almost certainly a top five player all time at his position. He defined the 'shutdown corner' and was a great kick/punt returner; 19 TDs on D/ST is an astounding number.

One thing about Andre -- do you guys think the recent run of other Bills from that era works against him with some voters? Let's hope not.

Are you kidding? Deion was one of the all-time great CBs (teams routinely IGNORED the side of the field he covered) and Marshall Faulk is the best all-purpose back the game has seen. Those 2 guys are locks as far as I'm concerned.

It seems to me the Hall has a knack for letting one WR in at a time, so if Cris Carter gets in, I certainly don't see Reed getting in this year. And vice versa, if Reed is in, then Carter waits another year.

I don't know if I'm in the minority here or not, but I have never really thought of Jerome Bettis as a hall of famer. He was a big, fat battering ram who in 13 pro seasons averaged over 4.0 yards a carry a whooping total of 4 times. The game that defines his career, to me, was the first game in 2004 vs the Raiders...5 carries, 1 yard, 3 TDs. He was a bona-fide FB who was fed the ball in a run first offense for a long period of time.

The reason I'd want to see Sanders not make it first ballot is because he played soft and never wanted to tackle. I remember a game against the Bills where Buffalo purposely ran towards his direction all the time - and on more than one occasion he moved away from the play because he didn't want to get hit.

As for Bettis - I'm with you there. He has more yards than I expected, but I don't consider him a HOF candidate. That said, the media absolutely LOVED him in his final Superbowl season, and since they vote....

Its going to be tough. There are five guys I can eliminate (Bettis, Kennedy, Doleman, Dent and Haley). Of the rest, Deion Sanders and Marshall Faulk are locks, IMO. Willie Roaf is also deserving. That probably leaves two spots for Reed, Martin, Brown, Dawson, Sharpe and Carter, plus one for either Richter or Sabol (one will get in).

I think he may make it this time. I'd rank the receivers as Reed, Brown, Sharpe and Carter. The fact that Sharpe was actually a TE could also help, too, if they decide to pick him as a TE and make room for a true WR.

I disagree that it's a weak year and don't see how you can dismiss Sanders; he's almost certainly a top five player all time at his position. He defined the 'shutdown corner' and was a great kick/punt returner; 19 TDs on D/ST is an astounding number.

One thing about Andre -- do you guys think the recent run of other Bills from that era works against him with some voters? Let's hope not.

Yep, can't write the history of the game without Prime Time, I think he is THE lock this year.

I'd also put Faulk & C-Mart in long before Bettis... and of course Andre far, far ahead of any of the other WRs.

Reed deserves to make it but he won't. ESPN and others are doing their best to push so many others I think it will cost reed his birth. I will hate it if Curtis "i run for 3.2 a carry" Martin makes it over him.

Please, it is berth not birth. He had his birth about 40 years ago and will never lose it.

Please, it is berth not birth. He had his birth about 40 years ago and will never lose it.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SPELLING/GRAMMAR POLICE ALERT!!!!!!!!!! BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Stl Bills

IDK. NFL Network had a lot of commentators (ex players like Woodson, Tory Holt) who all said out of the three, Reed is the most deserving. Carucci and Rick Gosselin (Dallas writer) both advocated on Reed's behalf as well. Videos on the nfl.com.

Analysts are saying that Sanders and Faulk are locks. Faulk was better than Thomas, IMO.

Faulk was a great back, no doubt, but I'd like to see his numbers playing outdoors in Buffalo as opposed to the domes he played in that catered to the wide open offenses he was a part of. This **** is so subjective its sickening...

Edited by McD

There's not a chance Bettis goes in first ballot...Thurman didn't even get selected first ballot. Curtis, Marshall, and Deion are all locks though IMO

Curtis Martin a lock for first ballot HOFer???? What the heck are you smokin'?????

I don't even think he's a Hall of Famer to begin with. He was a stats compiler, not an all time great.

Curtis Martin a lock for first ballot HOFer???? What the heck are you smokin'?????

I don't even think he's a Hall of Famer to begin with. He was a stats compiler, not an all time great.

I'm not saying I would vote him in first ballot but I do think thats a media pick, he was always very beloved by the media