Gailey's Quote On Running QB's

KOKBILLS

True, but I think it's important to differentiate between "running QBs" and "mobile" QBs. Rodgers and BR both are forced to scramble for their lives once on every series because their lines suck. I think they still both fit under the umbrella of pocket passer. As does Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, Schaub, Ryan, Flacco etc.

I'm not sure if I agree there's a trend where running QBs will be the norm. McNabb played his best ball when he learned to be a pocket passer. Vick was lauded this year not for his running, but for becoming a better passer with vision and a reluctance to take off after going through his first read.

Gailey's comments on the conference champ. round QB in his SI interview were kind of interesting. linky He refers to Aaron Rodgers as "the best pure pocket passer" of them all and as Roeth and Cutler as "both make a ton of plays out of the pocket". To me, I see Aaron Rodgers as an elusive QB who can make plays out of the pocket and get the yards on the ground, too. Unless Chan meant that Rodgers has the most accuracy and ability in the pocket? not less ability out of it?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The front office WILL draft a QB in the top half of the draft I can foresee the pick being a "mobile" QB that can run a gimmick offense which will incorporate CJ Spiller. Chan has the type of vision to use this QB to offset the more traditional offense that he will run with Fitzpatrick.

This is a good way to get more out of the offense. We will need to offset the lack of talent/ or experience we will likely have on the right side of the offensive line.

Just sign Smith from the Jets as he is a FA.

No link. Chan was quoted by the announcer at the Senior Bowl so you'd have to watch a replay of the game to catch it. I believe it was during the second half if you want to narrow it down.

Basically, Chan was quoted as saying the era of the hybrid QB is coming, and you're either going to be at the front of the wave or the back of the wave, but the wave is coming.

I think he's right.

Passing will always be the most important skill, but 10 years from now, most QBs will have to be able to do some spread-option work.

we already have a running QB in Fitz, which is currently 10x's the player Cam will be for the next 3-4 seasons.

So Josh Freeman who came out of nowhere can become above average QB in his 2nd year, but Fitz is 10x the player Cam Newton will be even after 3-4 years.

Didn't watch any FSU this year. They run the spread a lot? Ponder looked pretty confident back there. Lucky for him the other South QBs got dinged up and he got to play about 3 quarters.

We ran some spread but FSU with Ponder was closer to a pro style offense. We also focused on the run much more. Ponder probably split snaps 50/50 between the shotgun and under center this season.

I guess if two prospects are similar in arm strength and accuracy coming out of college, then I'd say if the major difference between them was one ran a 4.7 and the other a 4.4 40, you'd probably go for the latter. Does it ever hurt you to have speed at the position? I'd say only if the QB was too quick to run.

But, in my opinion there are a few other attributes that a QB needs to have that are very important. He's absolutely got to be accurate. Fist and foremost. And, perhaps almost as important, he's got to be able to read the defense, see the field, and know where to throw it. That kind of football intelligence is so critical. Either of the above attributes without the other leads to average and unrelaible QB play.

If he can read the defense and has the accuracy to throw it where he wants, then the next factor is arm strength. In our case, we absolutely need a strong armed QB. I would say he also needs to be tough - he needs to have the grit necessary to stand in front of five or six enormous linemen and make them bust their butts to protect him; he needs to be able to stand before his teammates and say, "we're not giving up - we can win this".

Speed and durability are the other components that make up a good QB. I just can't imagine a coach wanting a QB with speed if he didn't first possess those other traits. So, who might possess those characteristics out of the QB's in this year's draft class?

Locker is inaccurate. Mallett is immobile and not the brightest. I simply don't know enough about Newton and Gabbert to say. Kaepernick seems like he's got a lot on the list. Dalton, too.

Let me see. Mr Brady was drafted in what round? His "O" line was drafted in what rounds? "D" line just appeared so Tom could have the ball more than 30 minutes per game. It's all defense. Stop this 1st round garbage about quarterback. Fitz has not had a full year as a starter so he has alot of years ahead of him. He is very smart and tough. I believe Nix will go defense all the way. Wave this!

The front office WILL draft a QB in the top half of the draft I can foresee the pick being a "mobile" QB that can run a gimmick offense which will incorporate CJ Spiller. Chan has the type of vision to use this QB to offset the more traditional offense that he will run with Fitzpatrick.

This is a good way to get more out of the offense. We will need to offset the lack of talent/ or experience we will likely have on the right side of the offensive line.

I think Gailey is just putting out some draft herrings. BUT,(and I can't believe I am saying it), I could imagine teams starting to regularly use more than one QB (the 18 game schedule could push something like this forward too, but for a different reason) It would expand the options of the offense, and would wreak havoc for defense's and coordinators. It would shift the power structure, with the OC's having much more power, and the QB losing quite a bit. Fitzpatrick would be a great QB for some thing like this because I think he could handle sharing the job.

With the kind of approach that Oregon used (I'm not saying teams should run the option, but more the TEMPO they used), the spread out offenses, and running QB's, things are getting innovative.

Of course, I don't think the Bills are going to take a leading role in any movement like this, and will probably (and should) draft a front 7 guy.

I agree about taking that QB after Rd 1. It seems to me that you could consider 4 or 5 QB's in this draft, of the top seven QB's, to be running QB's, or QB's that can be dangerous as runners. Cam Newton is the first to come to most people's mind, but Locker is fast, and Kaepernick is very similar in size and speed as is Newton, and Gabbert and Dalton aren't slow. So, from my perspective it looks like this year's crop of QB's is perhaps a more mobile group than ever before, which means if we are targeting a "before the wave" kind of QB, it could be any of the five, not necessarily Newton.

I would prefer Locker or Kaepernick - especially Kaepernick, in the second.

I'd take kaepernick in the 3rd, def not 2nd. There are too many good players slotted at the top of round 2. Hopefully Phil taylor

Let me see. Mr Brady was drafted in what round? His "O" line was drafted in what rounds? "D" line just appeared so Tom could have the ball more than 30 minutes per game. It's all defense. Stop this 1st round garbage about quarterback. Fitz has not had a full year as a starter so he has alot of years ahead of him. He is very smart and tough. I believe Nix will go defense all the way. Wave this!

Yeah, we just need to do what the Patriots did. The next Tom Brady will be there in the 6th round, so everyone just relax....

I think Gailey is just putting out some draft herrings. BUT,(and I can't believe I am saying it), I could imagine teams starting to regularly use more than one QB (the 18 game schedule could push something like this forward too, but for a different reason) It would expand the options of the offense, and would wreak havoc for defense's and coordinators. It would shift the power structure, with the OC's having much more power, and the QB losing quite a bit. Fitzpatrick would be a great QB for some thing like this because I think he could handle sharing the job.

With the kind of approach that Oregon used (I'm not saying teams should run the option, but more the TEMPO they used), the spread out offenses, and running QB's, things are getting innovative.

Of course, I don't think the Bills are going to take a leading role in any movement like this, and will probably (and should) draft a front 7 guy.

I agree. Drafting "BIG" in the top few rounds is never a bad thing. I'd be OK with that. That's why a "gimmick" QB in the lower rounds could be valuable. He'd have a small role and focus on it. MAYBE run the option. If he's a low rounder, it's not like we'd have a lot of $$ tied up in him. Let it rip. Make some waves. Let the team have a little fun and throw opponents for a loop!

At the end of the day, it makes more sense than rolling the dice that a prototypical QB drafted in the 7th round will get his name on a Wheaties box.

Just sign Smith from the Jets as he is a FA.

No problem there. As long as the price is right... this is a recession after all!

So Josh Freeman who came out of nowhere can become above average QB in his 2nd year, but Fitz is 10x the player Cam Newton will be even after 3-4 years.

Josh Freeman has no relevance in this discussion. Why not take Locker at 3 then? Maybe he'll come out of nowhere too, since it has already been done.

I won't hold my breath for Cam to throw 3,000+ yds and 23td's anytime soon in the nfl.

I think he's right, the era of the pocket QB is fast coming to an end.

It might be that mobility will become more important a la Rodgers and Roethlesberger or that the game will change simpliy because the classic pocket passers beceome so pricey it is hard to afford the team around them, but the end of pocket passers.... unlikely.

The NFL prospect world was filled with chatter about Luck not one of the many running QB;s out there.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I think it's just about extending a play. Not enough good offensive lines league-wide to be taking sacks and curling up in the face of pressure. Big Ben, Vick, McNabb, Rodgers, Freeman, Romo, Matt Ryan and Sanchez all do this. They can throw on the run, they step up in the pocket, and they bounce out of the pocket to make big plays.

As for Newton, I don't think he's some organization savior. I don't think really anyone is. But let's remember, that Big Ben began his career as a game manager when he got his first Super Bowl ring. He just handed the ball off and threw it 15 times a week. He very well may have struggled without that stacked team around him. And he was an early first round pick. So let's not act like there's any quarterback that's gonna walk in here and make us a contender by himself. None of these franchise quarterbacks would have done that immediately. They basically all struggle or sit the bench at first. I'd wouldn't mind Newton coming here if he were to hold the clipboard for a little while. And we learned to block in the meantime. We need a system and for our new quarterback see it and study it. Otherwise, you're looking at a year like Peyton or Josh Freeman had to start their careers or worse - David Carr and that list of slappers.

It's all irrelevant though if we can't draft better. I do think our offense is a right tackle, a center, and tight end away from being dangerous, but our defense is a different story. Edge rushers and 300 pound down-lineman aren't that easy to track down. Then there's inside backers. I mean, that's all of our draft picks with a need at starter at every one. That's a bit daunting. Without free agent help, it's just about impossible. If we could only go one way, I agree that it's straight defense. Defense and a quarterback. Those are the keys to winning. The last 6 Super Bowls have been led started by Kurt Warner, Big Ben, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and Big Ben again.

Young teams are not fun to watch unless they have a potential franchise quarterback. How excited must Tampa Bay fans be with that crew of 1st and 2nd year guys that are on the brink of the playoffs? A young franchise QB could push us a few wins in that direction. Just 5-6 more big offensive plays would have meant 3-4 more wins last year, as we know. Hopefully we can get a guy that can step up, avoid the rush, and make those plays.

Josh Freeman has no relevance in this discussion. Why not take Locker at 3 then? Maybe he'll come out of nowhere too, since it has already been done.

I won't hold my breath for Cam to throw 3,000+ yds and 23td's anytime soon in the nfl.

My point is, you have no idea what kind of player Cam Newton will be in his first four years.