Gailey's Quote On Running QB's

KOKBILLS

I thought it was VERY interesting that when asked about these Spread/Running QB's at the Sr Bowl Chan Gailey was quoted as basically saying "The question is whether or not you want to be ahead or behind the wave. Be cause the wave is coming."

Buddy Nix has been CRYSTAL clear that The Bills Scouting Department has an eye on the future...There is no question The Bills may be interested in taking a QB high assuming they feel a Prospect is worth the Pick...Gailey is considered one of the foremost Offensive minds in the NFL (at least by some he is)...I think a quote like that makes it pretty obvious that Gabbert AND Newton are both very much in play at #3 Overall...Or at the very least The Bills want it to look that way...But we'll see I guess...

I thought that was pretty interesting though... B-)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree about taking that QB after Rd 1. It seems to me that you could consider 4 or 5 QB's in this draft, of the top seven QB's, to be running QB's, or QB's that can be dangerous as runners. Cam Newton is the first to come to most people's mind, but Locker is fast, and Kaepernick is very similar in size and speed as is Newton, and Gabbert and Dalton aren't slow. So, from my perspective it looks like this year's crop of QB's is perhaps a more mobile group than ever before, which means if we are targeting a "before the wave" kind of QB, it could be any of the five, not necessarily Newton.

I would prefer Locker or Kaepernick - especially Kaepernick, in the second.

Sort of puts that whole announcement "We were never, ever, not in a million years, interested in Tim Tebow" in a different light. B-)

untilk Tebow lit it up the last 2 games, I thought the odds were very good the Bills would acquire Tebow at a bargain basement price since McDaniel got fired. now - no chance

As you note, contrary to the bogus company line, the Bills desparately wanted to trade up to get Tebow to run the spread offense - which is why they took Spiller as well.

Remains to be seen if Cam Newton has the brains,but he is a better athlete than Tebow and would be fun to watch a run and gun offense.

I think if we don't take a defensive player and take Newton at 3 that puts us behind the curve. I agree with most on this post. There are a lot of QB's that are OK not great and NFL ready in year one that I would like to see us develop but not with the #3 pick. I was impressed with Kaepernick, he is the type of developmental guy I would like behind Fitz for a year or two maybe more. Big, Strong, athletic type QB, who can make all the throws but needs a couple years to get use to the speed of the NFL.

Well they seem behind the wave on having a front seven in place to play run defense to compete with the Jets and Patriots. Behind the wave on having a competent OLine. Behind the wave on having a TE who can run block and exploit the middle of the field. The wave I would pay attention to is the two physical teams playing next Sunday. The physical football wave has produced champions for 40+ years.

I thought it was VERY interesting that when asked about these Spread/Running QB's at the Sr Bowl Chan Gailey was quoted as basically saying "The question is whether or not you want to be ahead or behind the wave. Be cause the wave is coming."

Buddy Nix has been CRYSTAL clear that The Bills Scouting Department has an eye on the future...There is no question The Bills may be interested in taking a QB high assuming they feel a Prospect is worth the Pick...Gailey is considered one of the foremost Offensive minds in the NFL (at least by some he is)...I think a quote like that makes it pretty obvious that Gabbert AND Newton are both very much in play at #3 Overall...Or at the very least The Bills want it to look that way...But we'll see I guess...

I think this is pre-draft talk that might stir a GM or two to call to make a deal, or just generally hype up the value of the 3rd pick. I think people on this board are getting hot and bothered, and idealizing some of these prospects (Cam Newton).

In order to move up to pick #25 to acquire Tim Tebow, the Broncos gave up their 2nd, 3rd and 4th round pick. So if the Bills were serious about acquiring him they were probably "willing" to give up something similar.

If, and this is a big if, the Bills really did covet Tebow, the question becomes would they be willing to give up a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounder this year for Tim Tebow? I believe the Broncocs would love that deal, after all they're transitioning to a 4-3 from a 3-4, so acquiring 3 solid draft picks for a QB who still has a lot of questions would be a great deal for them.

I don't happen to believe the Bills front office is stupid enough to give up that type of value for a QB who could flame out. I especially don't think they'd do it because their picks this year are all in the top 3 of each round, so that'd be wayyyy too much to give up for Tim. With that said you have to wonder, if the Bills would be willing to give up say a 2nd rounder and a 4th rounder. If they really were after him hard last year, I think that's a deal they'd do. Whether or not the Broncos would be willing to do it, comes down to what Fox thinks of him, and that I have no clue about.

In the end it's highly unlikely Tebow will be moved, but I'm sure the Bills will be in touch with the Broncos IF they truly were "devastated" when the Broncos snagged Tebow before they could (Adam Schedfter's report).

The only QB that intrigues me in this years draft, in the first round, is Cam Newton, and I think his value lies in the 16-25 range. Mayock has mentioned that Newton compares to Tebow, but he has the better arm and is more athletic than Tebow. Tebow went #25, so I definitely expect Cam to go before 25. Maybe he's the guy Chan and Buddy will target in a trade down scenario.

It would certainly be "refreshing" for me to see Nix draft the best QB on his board and #3. I've been calling for the Bills GM to take a QB with their first overall pick of the draft every single year (accept 2003-2004), since......1997! Why not 2003-2004 you may ask? Because I was actually impressed that Donahoe had made that big trade for Drew Bledsoe in 2002, who I felt still had at least 5 good years left in him. In a very strange twist of Bills drafting "lore", Donahoe traded back into the 1st round and made J.P. Lost-man a first round pick in 2004, and I like everyone else thought he was nuts to do that when Bledsoe was already here and playing pretty good at that time.

But take away those 3 Bledsoe seasons, and beginnning right away again in 2005, even though the Bills had no 1st round pick, I still hoped they chose a QB with their first pick in the 2nd round.

Sorry, but the Buffalo Bills have only been truly great during the years they had great quarterbacking. Jack Kemp was great in the mid 60's, Joe Ferguson was great at times but at least good most of the time. And Jim Kelly is a Hall of Famer. You have to have the franchise type QB to win championships - at least 90% of the time, anyway. Sure you get your Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson SB winning QB's from time to time, when those teams have amazing defenses and offensive lines. Again, more Buffalo sports luck that although the Bills had Jim Kelly playing in the K-Gun offense those 4 consecutive SB's, he went up against Rypien and Hostetler's great teams, and then the last two he simply lost to an even greater team in the Cowboys, who had their own Hall of Fame type franchise QB in Aikman.

So I am still waiting these 14 years after Kelly has retired, for the next franchise QB to be drafted or at least traded for. Could this April end the wait?? :thumbsup:

I agree about taking that QB after Rd 1. It seems to me that you could consider 4 or 5 QB's in this draft, of the top seven QB's, to be running QB's, or QB's that can be dangerous as runners. Cam Newton is the first to come to most people's mind, but Locker is fast, and Kaepernick is very similar in size and speed as is Newton, and Gabbert and Dalton aren't slow. So, from my perspective it looks like this year's crop of QB's is perhaps a more mobile group than ever before, which means if we are targeting a "before the wave" kind of QB, it could be any of the five, not necessarily Newton.

I would prefer Locker or Kaepernick - especially Kaepernick, in the second.

Agreed on Kaepernick. He will be a gamer in the NFL. Newton would be a waste at no 3. We should trade down, get another pick and get Kaepernick as well

Edited by 8and8Forever

The ' spread ' has been the predominant offensive scheme of the NFL's more successful teams for some time now - I'd say Bills are already about 2 years behind the curve, but good to know that Chan realizes that irrefutable truth.

I'm still puzzled as to why the Bills didn't sign one of the most effective QBs ever at operating out of ' the spread ' ...

Graham Harrell

...when they had multiple opportunities to do so. Now, as I also predicted 2 years ago, Harrell is about to be wearing a Superbowl ring.

Wouldn't be at all surprised now if the Bills grabbed Christian Ponder on day 2 of the draft, after seeing and working with him all week.

The ' spread ' has been the predominant offensive scheme of the NFL's more successful teams for some time now - I'd say Bills are already about 2 years behind the curve, but good to know that Chan realizes that irrefutable truth.

I'm still puzzled as to why the Bills didn't sign one of the most effective QBs ever at operating out of ' the spread ' ...

Graham Harrell

...when they had multiple opportunities to do so. Now, as I also predicted 2 years ago, Harrell is about to be wearing a Superbowl ring.

Wouldn't be at all surprised now if the Bills grabbed Christian Ponder on day 2 of the draft, after seeing and working with him all week.

The front office WILL draft a QB in the top half of the draft I can foresee the pick being a "mobile" QB that can run a gimmick offense which will incorporate CJ Spiller. Chan has the type of vision to use this QB to offset the more traditional offense that he will run with Fitzpatrick.

This is a good way to get more out of the offense. We will need to offset the lack of talent/ or experience we will likely have on the right side of the offensive line.

It would certainly be "refreshing" for me to see Nix draft the best QB on his board and #3. I've been calling for the Bills GM to take a QB with their first overall pick of the draft every single year (accept 2003-2004), since......1997! Why not 2003-2004 you may ask? Because I was actually impressed that Donahoe had made that big trade for Drew Bledsoe in 2002, who I felt still had at least 5 good years left in him. In a very strange twist of Bills drafting "lore", Donahoe traded back into the 1st round and made J.P. Lost-man a first round pick in 2004, and I like everyone else thought he was nuts to do that when Bledsoe was already here and playing pretty good at that time.

But take away those 3 Bledsoe seasons, and beginnning right away again in 2005, even though the Bills had no 1st round pick, I still hoped they chose a QB with their first pick in the 2nd round.

Sorry, but the Buffalo Bills have only been truly great during the years they had great quarterbacking. Jack Kemp was great in the mid 60's, Joe Ferguson was great at times but at least good most of the time. And Jim Kelly is a Hall of Famer. You have to have the franchise type QB to win championships - at least 90% of the time, anyway. Sure you get your Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson SB winning QB's from time to time, when those teams have amazing defenses and offensive lines. Again, more Buffalo sports luck that although the Bills had Jim Kelly playing in the K-Gun offense those 4 consecutive SB's, he went up against Rypien and Hostetler's great teams, and then the last two he simply lost to an even greater team in the Cowboys, who had their own Hall of Fame type franchise QB in Aikman.

So I am still waiting these 14 years after Kelly has retired, for the next franchise QB to be drafted or at least traded for. Could this April end the wait?? :thumbsup:

But it doesn't make any sense to draft a QB in the first round, if the QB class is as weak as it is this year. That's just throwing a pick away. Yeah, I'd like to draft Manning this year, but he's not there. We picked Maybin in the first round, but that doesn't make him a great DE or LB.

Remains to be seen if Cam Newton has the brains,but he is a better athlete than Tebow and would be fun to watch a run and gun offense.

Why do you question his brains? He led his team to a SEC and National Championship. If you are questioning his brains then why are you not questioning the brains of the other qbs in this draft who he outperformed? Your selectivity is questionable.

Didn't watch any FSU this year. They run the spread a lot? Ponder looked pretty confident back there. Lucky for him the other South QBs got dinged up and he got to play about 3 quarters.

They weren't a spread offense, but Ponder does run very well, especially for a big guy.