Gailey's Quote On Running QB's

KOKBILLS

Could somebody link to what Chan "basically said?"

It was commentary during the Sr. Bowl...It was pretty much word for word the way I wrote it...There is no link that I know of...You'll have to take my word for it or re-wind the tape to hear it...

Sorry the way I posted the quote does not live up to the lofty standards you've set up around here...I'll try to do better in my 2nd decade here at TBD to regain your trust... ;)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the curve that Chan's talking about is the fact that the future of NFL offenses are going to encompass an athletic running QB moreso than the pure pocket guy with the big arm. What we should all remember is what he said about how every team should have a "waterbug" type back last year before we drafted Spiller.

I would suggest that we should all start getting used to the idea of a QB at #3...

It was commentary during the Sr. Bowl...It was pretty much word for word the way I wrote it...There is no link that I know of...You'll have to take my word for it or re-wind the tape to hear it...

Sorry the way I posted the quote does not live up to the lofty standards you've set up around here...I'll try to do better in my 2nd decade here at TBD to regain your trust... ;)

the curve that Chan's talking about is the fact that the future of NFL offenses are going to encompass an athletic running QB moreso than the pure pocket guy with the big arm. What we should all remember is what he said about how every team should have a "waterbug" type back last year before we drafted Spiller.

I would suggest that we should all start getting used to the idea of a QB at #3...

See: Chan Gailey's use of Cordell Stewart in Pittsburgh.

This isn't news, and it's strange that Chan would call this preference "ahead of the curve" unless he believes himself to be "ahead of the curve" for well over a decade now. He's always been inclined to have the quarterback be a more mobile position. I've linked to the Buffalo News feature from over the summer that details this like a half dozen times, but I guess it's worth repeating: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article80986.ece

I think Tom got the news when the Jets clobbered him in the play offs and he couldn't escape crap when his line broke down.

I've been saying it about Brady for years now: with any kind of pressure he goes from Superman to pipsqueak REAL fast. That's why I always have and always will question his so-called presence in the highest pantheon of all-time NFL quarterbacks.

Product of the system, benefits GREATLY from his offensive line, not the one man machine a true "great" quarterback should be.

I don't think any of the highly touted QBs in this year's draft are worthy of the three pick. And while I don't think Fitz is in any danger of going to the HOF, none of the QBs seem to me to be an upgrade over him. The Bills offense is okay. Not great but serviceable. The biggest problem is the defense. And that's the area I believe Nixley will focus on.

I don't think any of the highly touted QBs in this year's draft are worthy of the three pick. And while I don't think Fitz is in any danger of going to the HOF, none of the QBs seem to me to be an upgrade over him. The Bills offense is okay. Not great but serviceable. The biggest problem is the defense. And that's the area I believe Nixley will focus on.

I think it is funny how people keep saying this. Our offense was just as bad as our defense. We need lots of help on either side of the ball. Saying we don't need a QB because we have Fitz is like saying we don't need a DE because we have Kelsay or we don't need a LB because we have Ayodele.

The entire roster is in need of upgrade. If Chan identifies a QB that he thinks will be a difference maker, that's fine with me.

Edited by Maddog69

I thought it was VERY interesting that when asked about these Spread/Running QB's at the Sr Bowl Chan Gailey was quoted as basically saying "The question is whether or not you want to be ahead or behind the wave. Be cause the wave is coming."

Buddy Nix has been CRYSTAL clear that The Bills Scouting Department has an eye on the future...There is no question The Bills may be interested in taking a QB high assuming they feel a Prospect is worth the Pick...Gailey is considered one of the foremost Offensive minds in the NFL (at least by some he is)...I think a quote like that makes it pretty obvious that Gabbert AND Newton are both very much in play at #3 Overall...Or at the very least The Bills want it to look that way...But we'll see I guess...

I thought that was pretty interesting though... B-)

Is Gailey saying the future of NFL offenses is going to be the Mobile/Running QB? I'm not sure if I agree or even understand that sentiment.

Look at the top QBs in the league: Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Rivers, Big-Ben, Vick, M. Ryan, Brees

Vick and Big-Ben are the only QBs in that group who truly make things happen with their legs. Rodgers is capable of running and makes great throws on the run, but his strength is his arm. And Vick specifically has become much more of a pocket passer this year and many point to that as a reason for his reemergence.

I'm not saying that Cam Newton or Gabbert won't be good players, I'm just saying, I don't see any wave.

I've been saying it about Brady for years now: with any kind of pressure he goes from Superman to pipsqueak REAL fast. That's why I always have and always will question his so-called presence in the highest pantheon of all-time NFL quarterbacks.

Product of the system, benefits GREATLY from his offensive line, not the one man machine a true "great" quarterback should be.

who are the great QBs who were one man machines?

The future is now, as George Allen used to say. You want to get to the playoffs and superbowl your "eye to the future" better be the first game of the regular season and who is going to be most effective in helping you win that game. I suspect that person is a linebacker, Defensive lineman or Offensive Tackle. Drafting anyone else is drafting with an eye toward chaos.

I thought it was VERY interesting that when asked about these Spread/Running QB's at the Sr Bowl Chan Gailey was quoted as basically saying "The question is whether or not you want to be ahead or behind the wave. Be cause the wave is coming."

The wave is coming? I thought the wave was already at its peak in the mid-2000's with the drafting of Young and Russell. Where has Chan been? Oh yeah, playing around in college football.

I think he's right, the era of the pocket QB is fast coming to an end.

Tell that to the Colts (Peyton Manning), or the Patriots (Tom Brady), or San Diego (Philip Rivers), or Houston (Matt Schaub), or actually the majority of the team in the NFL. A QB only needs to be mobile enough to be able to quickly move around in the pocket when needed.

Tell that to the Colts (Peyton Manning), or the Patriots (Tom Brady), or San Diego (Philip Rivers), or Houston (Matt Schaub), or actually the majority of the team in the NFL. A QB only needs to be mobile enough to be able to quickly move around in the pocket when needed.

If all the quarterbacks in the NFL jumped off a bridge, would you?

Dare to be unique!

But it doesn't make any sense to draft a QB in the first round, if the QB class is as weak as it is this year. That's just throwing a pick away. Yeah, I'd like to draft Manning this year, but he's not there. We picked Maybin in the first round, but that doesn't make him a great DE or LB.

Another person who gets it. :thumbsup:

A comment was made about our offense readiness as compared to defense this season. Many things happened during the season on both sides of the ball. Early on i have to discount the Trent edwards games. Just throw all the stats generated right out. The season startd when Fitzy got behind center. The offense barely improved week by week until injuries took a severe toll on the line and receivers. One thing about the offense is they were exciting to watch each game because there was almost always a chance we were going to be good. And on occasion we really almost were

On the other hand the defense had some significant injuries. But they looked bad and played badly often. Blown over bad on plays.

Fix it all but fix defense first. I am not sure i am buying into the wave that Chan might be having fun talking about. Rothless burger is a fine example of the strengths mentioned earlier in a well said comment about quarterback qualities still needed tosucceed today in the NFL. Smart accurate enough, slings it, moves around enough and even scrambles injured. He is very football smart. I hate him, but he IS very much the epitome of what i think is the best type of qb to build around.

Lets pick up Kolb from Philly and draft a wave QB down at our thirdpick

Gives us lotsatime to decide what kind of franchise we are going to define ourselves as.

Ithink i just had my first rant. sorry but i feel better.

carry on