Good article by Gaughn on Buddy Nix Today

bananathumb

Go for it, while youre at it, find another teams board to post on.

This goes back to my point that all of this is simply bitching for bitchings sake. Even the threats are hollow at best.

Am I happy with the way the team has been run for over the past 20 years? NO

Do I think complaining about it will change anything? NO

But you should know that while you are calling me a homer, and making threats against the team, that my family and I actually DID follow through, and after 30+ years gave up our season tickets last year until they prove to us that they are doing something positive. My grandfather, my father, and I have all sunk waaaaay too much money into the team for way too long, especially when contrasted against what we got in return.

You call me a homer because I have some patience and realize that it can't be done over night. Yet, Im the one who actually did something about it. So...

Thanks but I will continue to post right here. Deal with it.

I realize that everthing can't be done overnight. I also realize that things can show improvement immediately. To many mistakes from what I've seen. Apparently you aren't sold either, since you haven't bought your tickets back. So why are you on the Buddy Nix excuse parade and so critical of those of us who are not.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize that everthing can't be done overnight. I also realize that things can show improvement immediately. To many mistakes from what I've seen. Apparently you aren't sold either, since you haven't bought your tickets back. So why are you on the Buddy Nix excuse parade and so critical of those of us who are not.

And it's not like he's actually pointing to anything they did right. He's just saying that "it takes time." That's the problem with his argument - sure it takes time, but where is the evidence of actual improvement so far? Last year's offseason was botched. They'll get one more offseason to prove to me (and lots of others) that they actually know what they're doing. My patience expires in September 2011 - there had better be an improved product on the field or I'm never spending another dime on this team.

I never expected you to leave, was just making a point.

The reason we have not renewed our tickets is simply that it's too early to tell. And frankly, after 30+ years of pouring money into the team, my family needed a little break. If Ralph was as competent as the Rooney's, we probably never would have left. And while Im very happy with the direction Nix and Gailey are taking the team, we're still cautious. It's like an ex-girlfriend coming back around and saying "I really have changed!" You want to believe it, but she has to prove it to you first.

Im not here to excuse Nix. I just dont think that people have many good arguments against him. You say "too many mistakes", but I don't see many valid gripes. The biggest one would be the Spiller pick, but anyone with a bit of intelligence knows its too early to tell with that one. I do not see the Edwards, Lynch, and Green situations as "mistakes" by Nix that would prove him incompetent. Sure Green sucked, but we were desperate to bring in OTs. Everyone is going to miss on a few players when you have to replace almost an entire team.

There simply isnt a big enough body of work to properly judge yet, either way, good or bad. Bitching about some (3) personnel moves during the guy's first year on the job, with the team in the state it was, is nitpicking, IMO.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

And it's not like he's actually pointing to anything they did right. He's just saying that "it takes time." That's the problem with his argument - sure it takes time, but where is the evidence of actual improvement so far? Last year's offseason was botched. They'll get one more offseason to prove to me (and lots of others) that they actually know what they're doing. My patience expires in September 2011 - there had better be an improved product on the field or I'm never spending another dime on this team.

Here you go, just need to read the thread.

I think his first draft looks like it will be very good down the line, as TPS pointed out. We got 2 solid DLs out of it from our first 3 picks. And Moats looks like he can be a baller too.

The biggest improvement, IMO, was what I was hoping to see before the season even started. And that was better (or actual) offensive game planning and play calling. I knew going into the season that the talent was very far and few between on this team, but wanted to see what the coaches could do. And I am highly impressed with Gailey and how he runs the team.

Throw in the new addition of Wannstache, and I think things are definitely looking up.

Now Buddy just needs to work on replacing the turds that didnt float this season.

Edited by DrDankenstein

Here you go, just need to read the thread.

That's pretty slim evidence and a low threshold for improvement. 2 backup defensive linemen and a late-round linebacker who came on strong at the end of the season (after being mis-cast as an ILB by Nix's defensive staff). Improved offensive gameplanning. Some additional experience in the coaching staff.

All of those things are positives, I guess, but they come nowhere close to reassuring me that this team will be competitive in the near future.

How about fielding 5 NFL-quality offensive linemen? How about using a first round pick on a player who actually contributes? How about sticking with one defensive scheme that actually suits the players on the roster? I'm sorry, but there are basic elements of success that are lacking. I'm not saying it won't get turned around, but your optimism seems, well, blind.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

That's pretty slim evidence and a low threshold for improvement. 2 backup defensive linemen and a late-round linebacker who came on strong at the end of the season (after being mis-cast as an ILB by Nix's defensive staff). Improved offensive gameplanning. Some additional experience in the coaching staff.

All of those things are positives, I guess, but they come nowhere close to reassuring me that this team will be competitive in the near future.

How about fielding 5 NFL-quality offensive linemen? How about using a first round pick on a player who actually contributes? How about sticking with one defensive scheme that actually suits the players on the roster? I'm sorry, but there are basic elements of success that are lacking. I'm not saying it won't get turned around, but your optimism seems, well, blind.

Isnt that what being from Buffalo, and BILLieving is all about?!? I thought that was what separated us from everyone else. Getting back on that horse even when no one else in their right mind would. As sad as it sounds, what else do we have? Im a born and raised Bills fan, and while I might not purchase tickets, Im also not going to another team. Walking around all pissed off isnt going to help and only serves to breed more misery.

As far as your complaints are concerned, our Line has already shown that it is improving and we have 3 early picks invested in it currently (Wood in rd1, Levitre from rd2, and Urbik was taken in the 3rd). I'll give you that the Spiller pick still needs to prove itself. But Carrington and Troupe both improved and developed as the year went along and I would not be surprised to see them starting next year, not bad for a couple of 2nd and 3rd round picks. To simply refer to them as backups is sandbagging to prove your pessimistic point.

As far as the defense and scheme is concerned, we didnt/dont have the talent to run ANY scheme successfully, and you know it. Furthermore, after one year into the process, Nix and Gailey just went out and brought in possibly the best Defensive mind available.

Again... AGAIN, I realize we are not setup to win the Super Bowl at this point, and are still far from it. But the ship is at least turning and heading in the right direction, instead of going full speed at that iceberg. You can nitpick some less than perfect decisions that were made while trying to clean up someone else's mess. Me, I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride until they either disappoint me again, or start winning.

Go Bills! :thumbsup:

Mark Gaughn quoted Buddy as saying we are definitely drafting for 3-4 defense, we need another QB and "gotta get bigger at linebacker". He says you can't keep changing defensive schemes every year, so they are sticking with the 3-4 (thank god). Says we ended up playing "225-230 pound" linebackers by the end of the season and "gotta get bigger there." Whether it's through free agency or the draft or just counting on merriman, it shows that he knows how the team needs to improve. As far as QB is concerned, says they have been going research on Newton and "have two more months" to answer all the questions about him.

Than God, Chans comments about playing multiple fronts had me nervous so its good to see that Nix is committed to 34 guys. Probably smoke screen on Newton, he knows that Cam isn't for us just doesn't want to tip his hand.

I wouldn't be surprised if stony or tgreg end up being correct. That Buddy drafts Green or Peterson. Perhaps Green. We seriously need to upgrade our front 7 though. But if at our selection the BPA is Green and we take him, I'll have mixed emotions about it. Glad that we'll have such a stud but irked he isn't a position of great need.

Mark Gaughn quoted Buddy as saying we are definitely drafting for 3-4 defense, we need another QB and "gotta get bigger at linebacker". He says you can't keep changing defensive schemes every year, so they are sticking with the 3-4 (thank god). Says we ended up playing "225-230 pound" linebackers by the end of the season and "gotta get bigger there." Whether it's through free agency or the draft or just counting on merriman, it shows that he knows how the team needs to improve. As far as QB is concerned, says they have been going research on Newton and "have two more months" to answer all the questions about him.

I thought it was a good article, and if you compare this article with the interview of Chan Gailey at the Senior Bowl, I think the articles give a lot of insight to the direction of the team. Rebuilding the Bills is a marathon, not a sprint. I do not expect the Bills to be a playoff team in 2011, however, I expect that they will be noticeably better than the 2010 team. (barring a high impact injury; i.e. losing Fitz for the season). Nix and Gailey have a plan, and I think the Bills are headed in the right direction.

I wouldn't be surprised if stony or tgreg end up being correct. That Buddy drafts Green or Peterson. Perhaps Green. We seriously need to upgrade our front 7 though. But if at our selection the BPA is Green and we take him, I'll have mixed emotions about it. Glad that we'll have such a stud but irked he isn't a position of great need.

Exactly my feeling as well. Rounds 2-7 turn into need picks w/ special emphasis on LBs, RT, and DL.

Not at all. I went to plenty of practices at SJF and Trent looked great. Made the throws and had great accuracy. Then put him in a game and he's puking up and glassy eyed. Kudos to Chan for cutting his losses. He thought by coaching up TE he would come around. Didn't happen and he pulled the plug. I'm fine with it.

I agree with you. You give a player an opportunity to play and then you evaluate him. How else can you make judgments on players, especially at the qb position? Fitz seized the opportunity when given a chance and he performed at a higher level than the qb he replaced. Brohm was given, on a more limited basis, a chance to play at the end of the season and didn't impress. It is doubtful that he will be on the roster next year.

Moats, Carrington and Troup weren't automatically thrown out on on the field. Moats got an opportunity to play and he demonstrated even as a rookie that he was not out of his depth on the field, so he got substantial playing time. Carrington and Troup were gradually worked in with more playing time at the end of the season. They earned their playing time.

Parish was given an opportuntiy to play when my people wrote him off. He earned more playing time and passes thrown his way because of his production. He turned out to be a pleasant surprise. James Hardy continued to be unimpressive so he was released with David Nelson moving up the receiver ranks. He also turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

I like the way Gailey and his staff are evaluating players and instilling an environment of accountability. There is still a long way to go rework the roster. The process is fair and based on performance. That is how it should be done.

Edited by JohnC

I don't at all like the Bills tipping their hand at who or what they'll be drafting. Do the Steelers, Patriots or Packers do this sort of thing????????

Shut up your pie hole already. I'm sure the three clubs I mentioned above will be considering those comments right before the Bills pick in the second round and third round and on and on and on...

I get what you are saying, but the Bills are not a big enough fish to draft a guy because you think the Bills might want him. We're small potatoes. We're drafting 3rd overall, guy.

I don't know how some people can think we're set at WR and drafting Green would be a mistake. We may have some decent talent but majority of those guys are easily replaceable. Green can be a game changer and a #1 receiver for years to come.

So can Spiller. Well ... that is what they thought when they drafted him.

Why speak? What's the purpose? I happen to want Greg Jones in the second round. Now that the Bills have said that they're looking at getting bigger in the 3-4 defense, who's to say that someone doesn't jump ahead of them to get him? It's moronic to even go there and say something like that just to sooth the fan base. Good teams don't tell their enemies what their battle plan is before the battle. They need to shut up.

so billy b and rex ryan dont realize our linebackers were an issue?

I don't know how some people can think we're set at WR and drafting Green would be a mistake. We may have some decent talent but majority of those guys are easily replaceable. Green can be a game changer and a #1 receiver for years to come.

we have on 1000 yards wr in stevie and a great #2 in lee evans. we have other needs that are more pressing that the wr position. what i got out of the piece was that he wants to fix the lb position and run defense and those will impact this team the most in the coming years.

we have on 1000 yards wr in stevie and a great #2 in lee evans. we have other needs that are more pressing that the wr position. what i got out of the piece was that he wants to fix the lb position and run defense and those will impact this team the most in the coming years.

We have Stevie who did what he did for one season. Lee Evans will be 30 years old soon. Yes, they need to address the front 7 on defense, but who says that has to happen in round one? There are 7 rounds in the draft. If they took Green that wouldn't be a bad pick at all. He's an elite talent. Great hands. Runs all the routes. Runs well after the catch. Can go deep. Makes difficult catches in traffic. And has a history of production that Nix speaks of liking in draft picks. Maybe Green comes in and Lee is the slot guy. Or maybe Lee is traded and the Bills get another pick or two in the draft. Elite talent is what the Bills need all across the board at any position they can find them. If they stay at number 3 any player is an option. Green and Peterson are viable options. There are no LB's, at this point, who are top 5 picks. Not even Von Miller as good as he was at A&M.

We have Stevie who did what he did for one season. Lee Evans will be 30 years old soon. Yes, they need to address the front 7 on defense, but who says that has to happen in round one? There are 7 rounds in the draft. If they took Green that wouldn't be a bad pick at all. He's an elite talent. Great hands. Runs all the routes. Runs well after the catch. Can go deep. Makes difficult catches in traffic. And has a history of production that Nix speaks of liking in draft picks. Maybe Green comes in and Lee is the slot guy. Or maybe Lee is traded and the Bills get another pick or two in the draft. Elite talent is what the Bills need all across the board at any position they can find them. If they stay at number 3 any player is an option. Green and Peterson are viable options. There are no LB's, at this point, who are top 5 picks. Not even Von Miller as good as he was at A&M.

The Bills have decent talent at the WR position. They have next to none at the LB position, and a couple of serviceable linemen. Fitz and co. can definitely give them enough points to win, especially if Spiller comes in and contributes more with maturity. Where are the Bills going to benefit most from an elite talent? You're right about the available LBs, so I think the answer has to be on the DL, especially given what we have seen leading up to this year's Super Bowl and in our division. Until teams cannot run Buffalo the F over, rinse, repeat.