Good article by Gaughn on Buddy Nix Today

bananathumb

Mark Gaughn quoted Buddy as saying we are definitely drafting for 3-4 defense, we need another QB and "gotta get bigger at linebacker". He says you can't keep changing defensive schemes every year, so they are sticking with the 3-4 (thank god). Says we ended up playing "225-230 pound" linebackers by the end of the season and "gotta get bigger there." Whether it's through free agency or the draft or just counting on merriman, it shows that he knows how the team needs to improve. As far as QB is concerned, says they have been going research on Newton and "have two more months" to answer all the questions about him.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark Gaughn quoted Buddy as saying we are definitely drafting for 3-4 defense, we need another QB and "gotta get bigger at linebacker". He says you can't keep changing defensive schemes every year, so they are sticking with the 3-4 (thank god). Says we ended up playing "225-230 pound" linebackers by the end of the season and "gotta get bigger there." Whether it's through free agency or the draft or just counting on merriman, it shows that he knows how the team needs to improve. As far as QB is concerned, says they have been going research on Newton and "have two more months" to answer all the questions about him.

I don't at all like the Bills tipping their hand at who or what they'll be drafting. Do the Steelers, Patriots or Packers do this sort of thing????????

Shut up your pie hole already. I'm sure the three clubs I mentioned above will be considering those comments right before the Bills pick in the second round and third round and on and on and on...

Edited by 1billsfan

I don't at all like the Bills tipping their hand at who or what they'll be drafting. Do the Steelers, Patriots or Packers do this sort of thing????????

Shut up your pie hole already. I'm sure the three clubs I mentioned above will be considering those comments right before the Bills pick in the second round and third round and on and on and on...

Right, because instead of focusing on their own drafts, the rest of the league is concerned about the Bills.

I live down in Virginia, and there is a lot of chatter that the Redskins really want Newton bad. I can see Buddy trying to set up a trade down situation. I would love to see him pull off something to get us some more picks. We need all we can get.

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've read in a while (and there are a lot to choose from). First of all, Nix gave no indication of who, specifically, the Bills are going to draft. Second, was anything he said a secret? It's right there on film. And third, do you really think the teams ahead of Buffalo are going to draft to keep a player from the Bills, rather than serving their own needs?

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've read in a while (and there are a lot to choose from). First of all, Nix gave no indication of who, specifically, the Bills are going to draft. Second, was anything he said a secret? It's right there on film. And third, do you really think the teams ahead of Buffalo are going to draft to keep a player from the Bills, rather than serving their own needs?

Why speak? What's the purpose? I happen to want Greg Jones in the second round. Now that the Bills have said that they're looking at getting bigger in the 3-4 defense, who's to say that someone doesn't jump ahead of them to get him? It's moronic to even go there and say something like that just to sooth the fan base. Good teams don't tell their enemies what their battle plan is before the battle. They need to shut up.

Really? It's a big league wide secret that the Bills will be drafting 3-4 players and LBs?

Normally I would agree with you, but didn't they tip their hand last season wrt the Spiller selection? We Bills fans have PTSD entering a draft no matter when we select or who is available.

Donte Whitner anyone? :oops:

Here is what I take away from this article. If the first two picks are D line, then our pick will be A J Green, Cam Newton or Patrick Peterson. This will make some people unhappy. I think of these three, Newton has the most risk.

Buddy is not going to draft need first, it will be the best player available.

You better believe that teams interested in Cam will hear this....

Then what happens if we pick him? Other teams won't know what to do? Can't believe you guys are getting worked up over this. As another poster said, it's not big news we need DL and LB.

Normally I would agree with you, but didn't they tip their hand last season wrt the Spiller selection? We Bills fans have PTSD entering a draft no matter when we select or who is available.

Donte Whitner anyone? :oops:

Come on Bill. The Bills tipped their hand 100 different times last year, just like every other team. When one of the tips materializes the claim is made that they shouldn't have shown their hand when it was really one of their hundred other options.

Every team basically knows what the other teams' needs are. All teams are making education guesses as to who is going to be drafted before them. The Bills have so many needs that they may be more difficult to predict than most other teams.

You know my position. Take Newton or Gabbert, if they are rated as franchise caliber qbs, and then continue on with the rebuilding process.

Regardless of most of the comments about our draft. Yes, very good article. We as fans get some insite into Buddy's thinking process going into the offseason. I like what I hear. With that being said, I hope the Bills open up the pocket book and sign some damn good FAs who become available. The Bills must be aggressive in acquiring young talented players. We need to build via draft and FA to get this team back in contention for playoffs. GET ER DONE BUDDY!!!!

Come on Bill. The Bills tipped their hand 100 different times last year, just like every other team. When one of the tips materializes the claim is made that they shouldn't have shown their hand when it was really one of their hundred other options.

Every team basically knows what the other teams' needs are. All teams are making education guesses as to who is going to be drafted before them. The Bills have so many needs that they may be more difficult to predict than most other teams.

I am not in fundamental disagreement with you, however how many teams (or even message board posters for that matter) thought that we needed a gadget player at #9.

To repeat my point, Bills fans have PTSD after watching them botch draft after draft.

Edited by Bill from NYC

OMG - the Bills are going to draft defensive and offensive players that fit what we're trying to do! Cats out of the bag, we're screwed now...

I totally agree with you on this one I didn't see anywhere in the article of who we are to draft all he said was that they would draft the best impact player regardless of position.

Why speak? What's the purpose? I happen to want Greg Jones in the second round. Now that the Bills have said that they're looking at getting bigger in the 3-4 defense, who's to say that someone doesn't jump ahead of them to get him? It's moronic to even go there and say something like that just to sooth the fan base. Good teams don't tell their enemies what their battle plan is before the battle. They need to shut up.

Seriously? Why speak? Everyone in the league knows we need to get bigger at linebacker....everyone in the league knows we will do homework on Newton AND every other QB.....how is this tipping the hand? ooooooo...the Patriots are listening......

Didn't see the article posted so here.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article323639.ece

I thought his comments on the offensive line were interesting. He almost seems satisfied with the offensive linemen we got. I don't know how much I like that...

Outside of the addition of a starting RT (and some depth), the Oline is hardly our biggest area of concern.

Bell is coming along, and between Wood, Levitre, and Urbik we have 3 young, highly ranked prospects that were all drafted early (1st round, 2nd round, 3rd round, respectively). Coupled with Hanny's veteran leadership, our interior should be improving. Just need to add some talent and depth on the edges.

DLine, and LBs are much bigger needs right now.