My off-season strategy, yours?

FA/trades

1. Day 1 at midnight RW better be wrapped up in a sweater with his walker outside Logan Mankins house making him the highest paid interior lineman in the league

2. Take a shot at stealing David Harris from the Jets

2a. If can't get Harris bring back Poz.

3. Take a shot at Zach Miller or Marcedes Lewis

4. See if they can get Brandon Jacobs(Bills need a bruiser 3rd and 1 back) on the cheap - #7 draft pick or a #6 in 2012 assuming he isn't just cut by NYG

5. Resign Florence and Wilson but don't overpay for either

Draft

1. Trade down(I know need willing partner)

2. Bowers/Fairley

3. Hope Locker falls to second round

3. Then take a center, TE, ILB,OLB in no particular order

Cuts

Whitner, Stupar, Maybin, some of those RT's will need to go,

Surprise cut(you know there always is one or more and I'm not even including Maybin) - Brian Moorman -- 24th in avg. yds, 23rd in net yrds, 28th in punts inside the 20, 9th worst in touchbacks.

Replace your 1st move with either best RT available or best run-plugging NT type available. I love Mankins but we are not gonna target a G in free agency. Don't worry, someone else will sign him away from the Pats. I know, weaken them, strengthen us, just not happening.

Assuming Free agency starts before the draft here is what I would do

1 resign Poz,florence and wilson the rest can go

2 I would lobby hard for Ralph to open up the bank for two free agants. 1 Willie Colon right tackle pittsburgh, assuming he is fully recovered. The guy is a bright guy and team leader ad fills a huge need

second guy is pual soliai N.t .His addition really allows them to finally put a solid line togther on running downs.

3 Minnor or smaller deals . Thigpen, brian leonard, matt spleath, and stephen cooper these guys will not cost a ton and really will up grade talent base on the team.

4 The Draft two paths If New england really wants to trade up for green I am in . if not

1 Daruis De A weakness is now a strenght WILLIAMS.,Soliai , Daruis Troupe,Edwards, Carrington

2 Greg jones ilb , great paring with poz , much more mobile but still very good against the run

3 Beal OLB If Merriman comes back to full speed great if not ,we will nned help

4A Ballard De not done with the Dl and I am a believer on drafting into the strenght of the draft and this one is loaded with Big guys along the dline

4b Curtis Brown, The little secret that nobody wants to talk about is the Corner back situation is not that strong. Mckelvin , loaded with potenential but wildly erratic. Mcgee is alway hure and Florence if resigned is solid and steady

5 Keapernick. big time project but I am willing to take a flyer everydraft , Fitz is fine for now but until the scenerio works out for them to grab their guy at the top of the draft this is the best way to go

6 Willie smith Left tackle , project tackle

7 Brewer right tackle

now before you kill me I took the players off the board based on where draft tek has them . You might see Brewer and Ballard move up e

I firmly believe that Matt Spaeth will be a Bills target in the offseason.

He's arguably the best blocking TE in the NFL and I think his receiving skills are actually underrated. He's lost in Heath Miller's shadow out in Pittsburgh...I'd throw him a decent salary (not top 10 TE by any means, but middle of the pack) to lure him to Buffalo. That's not even considering the Whaley connection either and what he can do.

I think this a great thread and I like your strategy, but until the CBA situation gets worked out there might not even be free agency. If the owners lock out the players there will be no free agency or they can agree to continue working under the current rules, which would mean only players who have been in the league 6+ years will be unrestricted free agents. That's why you have to hope for a new agreement to get done because a lot of the good potential free agents have only been in the league four or five years (they will be restricted). I know its confusing, but here is a good article by Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports that better explains the situation and who could potentially be unrestricted. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-freeagents111810

Let me know what you think.

Great minds think alike- Mankins would be my number one free agent target.

Move Wood to center. Bell-Levitre-Wood-Mankins is 4/5 of a very good offensive line

David Harris, Soloil, Zack Miller would be my three other top targets. I would definetly add one FA LB at the very least, and I would get a real TE here.

My draft board would be 1- Fairley, 2- Bowers, 3- Green. If Fairley was off board I would attempt to trade down and stockpile picks. I really like Cameron Heyward if we trade down. If Fairley is off the board and I could not find a trade down partner, I would draft Green. Hardly a top priority, Green is that good that I would pull trigger.

I would devote every other pick to defense- especially front 7, with the exception of offensive tackle depth

I would cut Maybin, sign Whitner to a realistic contract, and regign Poz and Florence.

Here's my plan (remember the draft comes before FA this year):

Roster moves that can be done now:

1. Free up money by cutting dead weight. Dead weight: Stroud, Maybin.

2. Promote Wanny to DC. Return to 4-3 scheme which is a better use of our personel.

Draft:

1. Take best Def player available in the first (likely DE Bowers, CB Peterson)

2. Take whatever 1st round talent QB is there in the second (if any): Locker, Gabbert, Newton, Mallett, if not take a the best LB available if the value is there.

3. Take defense throughout the rest of the draft unless a any decent OTs are available.

Free Agency:

1. Give Ryan Calabo 7 million a season to become out RT.

2. Do not resign Donte...give his money plus some more to David Harris.

3. Send a 3rd round pick to Washington for Albert Haynesworth

4. Resign Poz, Ubrik, and Wilson.

Results:

Our offensive line is now stabilized and we have a road grader at RT who can finally allow spiller to run wide to the right side and this plus a stout interior means that if Bell can hold his own Bills could have one of the best young lines in the NFL.

On defense we go from swiss cheese to top ten in one offseason.

Our starting front seven

RDE: Bowers – Outstanding pass rusher

DT: Haynesworth – Outstanding DT in a 4-3 who is a monster when he is handled correctly

DT: Kyle Williams – Next to Fat Al, Kyle will be even more amazing

LDE: Kelsay – Plays well in the 4-3 and can be spotted by a host of other Des

WLB: Arthur Moats – Speedy can be brought on blitzes from the weak side and is great for a 4-3

MLB: David Harris – A perfect fit can be the sideline to sideline player Poz can’t be.

SLB: Poz – Might be a stretch but I think Poz does well over the TE and can actually cover TEs.

In this defense the front 4 alone could generate tremendous pressure (key to a cover 2 scheme) and make life miserable for the likes of Brady and others. Try just once to step up into a pocket that Williams and Haynesworth will be collapsing every play. I dare you.

He runs really fast. He's just severely undersized and lacks any kind of football instincts.

REALLY? 6'2" (more likely 6'1") 240lbs (more like 230ish) is "severely undersized"? Maybe for a DE, but he's projecting as a pass rushing OLB. He's a bit slender, but has a frame that can carry an extra 10-15 lbs without losing a step.

He holds virtually every Nevada pash rushing record. Also, leading the WAC in tackles for a loss and sacks for the past 2 season surely displays his complete lack of football instincts...right?

He's a three-year starter. He projects to the OLB in the NFL. Played some OLB as a freshman, and was effective dropping off into zone coverage against the pass. Quick off the snap and good at shedding blocks with his hands, also has a strong bull rush. He's a productive , fearless and intense big hitter. Oh, did I mention he consistantly runs in the 4.3 range in the 40 yrd. dash? He was clocked @ 4.25 last spring (obviously unofficial).

The knocks on him are all very coachable @ the next level. He's a bit stiff in the hips due to being a former track star (straight line speed) and needs work on his ability to change direction. Lacks a double move so if he relies on his speed and doesn't beat his man off the line he's ineffective. Not stout against the run as a down lineman, which won't matter @ OLB. Lacks experience with NFL type man coverage assignments.

Watch some film on this kid and you'll jump on the band wagon too. He plays balls out every snap and usually is in on or makes the play.

P.s. Bangarang...I hope you have nothing to do with football in any capacity with that weak a55 statement!

1. Resign Florence, Wilson and probably Poz. Let Whitner go.

2. Sign Paul Soliai. I like David Harris too and if we can get him, great. But IMO I don't think he's leaving the Jets to come play for us right now. The Dolphins on the other hand, kept a coach that is losing the locker room and I think Soliai will want to leave and won't mind coming to a division rival since we always play them tough. We haven't played the Jets tough in a while and I don't think Harris will look at our team and say "that's where I want to go."

3. Draft Best Player Available in Round 1, and fill needs with your other 7 picks. I don't care if BPA is Green or Peterson or any other position that is not a great need, you have to use round 1 to fill your team with top notch football players at any position. We've seen too much reaching for need in round 1 over the years. Yes, I still believe in the Spiller pick. Mendenhall looked like a bust his first year also guys.

4. Use your other 7 picks to draft DE, ILB, CB (after Florence, we are not that good considering McGee can't stay healthy and won't play hurt), SS (to replace Whitner), TE, OT, OLB.

5. If you can save a pick by signing someone to fill one of the above (say, Zach Miller as others have suggested), then fine, but right now I think the Bills are going to still be a hard sell for FAs and I think Nix is going to continue to build through the draft.

REALLY? 6'2" (more likely 6'1") 240lbs (more like 230ish) is "severely undersized"? Maybe for a DE, but he's projecting as a pass rushing OLB. He's a bit slender, but has a frame that can carry an extra 10-15 lbs without losing a step.

He holds virtually every Nevada pash rushing record. Also, leading the WAC in tackles for a loss and sacks for the past 2 season surely displays his complete lack of football instincts...right?

He's a three-year starter. He projects to the OLB in the NFL. Played some OLB as a freshman, and was effective dropping off into zone coverage against the pass. Quick off the snap and good at shedding blocks with his hands, also has a strong bull rush. He's a productive , fearless and intense big hitter. Oh, did I mention he consistantly runs in the 4.3 range in the 40 yrd. dash? He was clocked @ 4.25 last spring (obviously unofficial).

The knocks on him are all very coachable @ the next level. He's a bit stiff in the hips due to being a former track star (straight line speed) and needs work on his ability to change direction. Lacks a double move so if he relies on his speed and doesn't beat his man off the line he's ineffective. Not stout against the run as a down lineman, which won't matter @ OLB. Lacks experience with NFL type man coverage assignments.

Watch some film on this kid and you'll jump on the band wagon too. He plays balls out every snap and usually is in on or makes the play.

P.s. Bangarang...I hope you have nothing to do with football in any capacity with that weak a55 statement!

Awesome. He sounds like the next Corey Moore.

Can we please just draft a guy that doesn't have to change positions to play in the NFL?

your strategy, my strategy and anyone else's strategy is completely meaningless. The only strategy that matters is Buddy Nix's, Chan Gailey's, and the rest of the Bills front office...

you must be a blast to hang out with at partys. Your social life must be off the hook

this is my plan (Defense,Defense,Defense.) This plan is realistic

resign Poz,Wilson, Florance and Urbik

sign Soliai, Wanye Hunter RT Jets. Zack Miller and Spaeath. ilb Stephen Coooper. These are Bills type pickups

Draft

#1- Bowers or Quinn. We need a edge rusher in worst way.

#2- Ryan Mallet. This is ideal spot to pick the cannon armed QB. Give him 2years to develop behind Fitzy.

#3- take another Dt whoever is still on the board between Marvin Austin and Phil Taylor.

#4- Casey Matthews, pair this guy up with Poz and we will have 2 thumpers in the middle of our D.

#4- Moffitt LG Wisconson. Road grader lineman with nasty streak, great value here.

#5- DT kendrick Ellis. another space eater for our new and improved front 7

With these additions the Bills get bigger and tougher. WE need to start building like the Pats. heavy rotation front 7, keep guys freah and attacking style D thats what we need.

Cut Loose ENds

Marcus Stroud, Spencer Johnson, terannce McGee, these guys are overpaid and got to go. I would ask McGee to take pay cut if not he is out.

As much as I'd absolutely LOVE to have Harris, there is no way he is leaving

He might. The Jets have serious cap issues, and somebody is going to walk.

They have the following players that are free agents:

Shaun Ellis

Steve Weatherford

Brodney Pool

Tony Richardson

Braylon Edwards

Wayne Hunter

Trevor Pryce

David Harris

Robert Turner

Nick Folk

Antonio Cromartie

Lance Laury

Santonio Holmes

Eric Smith

Brad Smith

James Ihedigbo

Drew Coleman

Kellen Clemens

Marquice Cole

Michael Turkovich

Marcus Dixon

They would also have to do a ton of unlikely contract restructuring to sign all those guys.

your strategy, my strategy and anyone else's strategy is completely meaningless. The only strategy that matters is Buddy Nix's, Chan Gailey's, and the rest of the Bills front office...

And where has their strategy gotten them. Last years strategy sucked eggs. Buddy was here albeit as a scout, but he should have had a clue that he actually needed to go out and sign impact free agents to make this team better, and the whole Trent Edwards thing was a joke too.

These guys seriously need to alter their offseason strategy. Yes it's not up to me or you, but if the Bills plan on competing for a playoff birth they need to get impact free agents and hit on every draft pick this season. We need immediate impact from the 3rd overall draft pick.

As I see it. Buddy Nix is on the clock. No sleeping when FA opens, no more crap about building through the draft. EVERYONE BUILDS THROUGH THE DRAFT!!!!! No more excuses Buddy!!! Get ER DONE!!!!!

Shaun Ellis

Steve Weatherford

Brodney Pool

Tony Richardson

Braylon Edwards

Wayne Hunter

Trevor Pryce

David Harris

Robert Turner

Nick Folk

Antonio Cromartie

Lance Laury

Santonio Holmes

Eric Smith

Brad Smith

James Ihedigbo

Drew Coleman

Kellen Clemens

Marquice Cole

Michael Turkovich

Marcus Dixon

They would also have to do a ton of unlikely contract restructuring to sign all those guys.

Buddy should be camped outside their doors waiting to sign these guys away!!!

Edited by mattsox

FA/trades

...1. Day 1 at midnight RW better be wrapped up in a sweater with his walker outside Logan Mankins house making him the highest paid interior lineman in the league....

:worthy::w00t::lol::thumbsup:

Great take, I'm cracking up thinking about Ralph being outside his limo leaning on his walker while Buddy, Russ and Jim O. are knocking on Mankins' door!

But getting back into the real world, I don't think Buddy will sign any FA's with the stature and talents of Mankins or David Harris, although I would certainly love to see both of them signed. I could be wrong, I hope I'm wrong, but Buddy Nix seems bent on building his team through his drafts.

It's hard to predict who will sign who heading into this off-season, with the collective bargining agreement up in March, and there seemingly are no real talks going on to work on the new one. Both sides may be waiting until after the SB to make any serious meetings take place (I hope), or, they may never have any real meetings and the contract may run out and the lock - out and / or strike will start instead of Unrestricted Free Agency March 1st. And if that happens, will there still be a draft in April, since there won't be an agreement on how the rookies will be paid?

Edited by BillsPhan

Im with Bangarang. How many undersized but fast tweeners do we want on our LB corps? The guy's the size of Keith Ellison...move on.

Get me David Harris, Zach Miller and Marcell Dareus.

Harris is an absolute must have, and the top priority FA.

I'm cool with the slower rebuilding process of Buddy and Co. I'm also of the camp that thinks the Bills roster is too deficient of talent to make a push at a WC next year. But I truly believe if you added those three players, combined with a quality RT and another LB in the draft, 8-9 wins is totally possible.

Shaun Ellis

Steve Weatherford

Brodney Pool

Tony Richardson

Braylon Edwards

Wayne Hunter

Trevor Pryce

David Harris

Robert Turner

Nick Folk

Antonio Cromartie

Lance Laury

Santonio Holmes

Eric Smith

Brad Smith

James Ihedigbo

Drew Coleman

Kellen Clemens

Marquice Cole

Michael Turkovich

Marcus Dixon

The Jets are going to lose some role players, but most of that list is easily replaceable. I doubt Harris goes anywhere since the rest of their LB corp is aging and they need an anchor. At WR, there is zero chance they keep both Edwards and Holmes, but I don't want either of those guys in Buffalo for the dollars they will command.

Trevor Pryce might be a good pick up to rotate into the DL; then again, if he can be had cheaply he'll probably go back to NYJ.