Casey Matthews

Estro

I'm pretty intrigued with Matthews as a prospect in this years draft. Irrationally, the thing I like most about him is the fact that his brother is Clay Matthews, and we've all seen the success he's had. The more I look into it though, the more I realize the comparisons to his brother seem pretty unrealistic, at least from a physical standpoint:

Clay Matthews (Packers): Arrived at the Senior Bowl 2 years ago at 6'3" and 246 lbs. His hands measured 9 3/8" and his arms were 32".

Casey Matthews (Oregon): Arrived at the Senior Bowl at 6'0 6/8" (a touch under 6'1") and 232 lbs. His hands measured 8 3/4" and his arms were 31 3/4".

So Casey is a full 2 1/4" shorter than his brother and he's also 12 lbs. lighter. I know Casey is smaller than your prototypical ILB from a weight standpoint, but he may have a frame that can pack on some pounds, that I don't know. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on him this week throughout the Senior Bowl practices and in the game. He's got the bloodlines and I like his speed and awareness on the field. In the end I think Casey will be drafted a full round or 2 higher, than he would have been if he didn't have a brother named Clay Matthews terrorizing NFL QB's. His bloodlines will definitely bump him up, IMO.

For those interested in checking out the official weigh in of the 2011 Senior Bowl attended:

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2011.php

For what it's worth Clay Matthews is now listed as 255 lbs. on the Packers roster. If Casey could pack on 10-15 lbs I think you can at least consider him as a 3-4 ILB, but if not, I don't think he could hold up in a 3-4, just too small right now.

People watched the BCS Championship, saw that Casey Matthews played LB and concluded that because he's Clay Matthews brother, has long hair, and plays a position of need that we should draft him. I've seen him go as early as rounds 2 and 3 and it makes me want to vomit.

Pass you need a guy that is big at his playing weight. We don't want a workout warrior who plays at 230ish and then bulks up to 255 for the combine. If the guy can't play at 255 then he just isn't big enough.

I think you can add 10 or so pounds but I prefer a guy that is just big at his playing weight.

People watched the BCS Championship, saw that Casey Matthews played LB and concluded that because he's Clay Matthews brother, has long hair, and plays a position of need that we should draft him. I've seen him go as early as rounds 2 and 3 and it makes me want to vomit.

I watched him play all year and think that a 4th round pic would be warranted.

He did make a nice play clubbing that ball loose to force a fumble. That play enabled Oregon to go down and tie the game late in the 4th quarter. Those are the type of game changing plays defenders get paid to make.

Can't judge a player based on one play though, and I agree he's probably an overrated prospect due to his name.

I think he is as of right now a solid fourth rounder, and if he is there in the fifth is a steal. Difference is he is fourth rounder that will start to contribute right from the start. I think it's funny that everyone is putting the guy down. He's had a great season and he is projected for late in the draft. It's not like Arron Maybin where he'll be a first round bust. I like the kid and I wouldn't mind seeing buffalo take him in the third if they rated him that high. I think the kids got great values, stays clean, and has the same motor if not higher than his brothers. He's biggest plus is his knowledge of the game. I think with him our LB's will be helped out by some young talent.

Too many people are focused on exact heights and weights supposedly "needed" to play a certain position. I could give a rat's ass if Casey Matthews is 10 pounds too light. The question is, can he play football at a high level? If that answer is yes, then i want him on the Bills. And adding 10 pounds isn't going to make a lick of difference for a LB.

CJ Spiller had super human speed in college. Now he can't outrun anyone in the NFL.

PTR

That statement is untrue. He was a hard time outrunning everyone to the corner, but he does have the speed to run by people in the open field.

We've been laboring under that philosophy for long enough. I want to start getting the players that actually weigh 255 lbs. and play like they weigh 275.

So taking a Ray Lewis would be out of the question.