Ralph's niece

Rockinon

Yet another nepotism-fueled promotion from within. Glad to see that we reward people for proven success.

Nepotism or not, this is a very common practice in the NFL. Not only on the ownership side, but on the football side with coaches and players.

The successful teams do it (see Pittsburgh) as well as the unsuccessful teams.

All I know is that before Mary Owen joined the team in 1997, they were a Super Bowl contender and had years of excellence. Since 1997 the Bills have only been in 2 playoff games and lost them both, then have not even been to the playoffs in the last 12 seasons. Some of you have blamed Tom Modrak, but I think Mary Owen is a jinx. :devil:

Yet another nepotism-fueled promotion from within. Glad to see that we reward people for proven success.

And your proof that this is pure nepotism exists where? There are tons of family businesses out there (including football teams) where family members choose to play a leadership role. Just because someone from the family gets promoted is not proof of nepotism.

The whole reason for starting this post was not to get comments about her promotion so much as wondering if folks think Ralph is hoping that she will eventually prove herself sufficiently to take over when he dies. Could it be that the organization will not be sold when he dies? If the Buffalo Bills are in fact a corporate organization, rather than a sole proprietorship, the company can continue on with or without Ralph Wilson. There may simply be a stipulation that his family continues to be taken care of rather than the common belief that the organization will flat out be sold to a new owner.

Edited by Rockinon

The whole reason for starting this post was not to get comments about her promotion so much as wondering if folks think Ralph is hoping that she will eventually prove herself sufficiently to take over when he dies. Could it be that the organization will not be sold when he dies? If the Buffalo Bills are in fact a corporate organization, rather than a sole proprietorship, the company can continue on with or without Ralph Wilson. There may simply be a stipulation that his family continues to be taken care of rather than the common belief that the organization will flat out be sold to a new owner.

I see where you're going, but that is a very unlikely outcome. I won't say impossible (because hey, what do I know?), but it's been said repeatedly that Ralph will sell the team when he dies so that his estate can be divvied up between his family. I think giving a 600 million dollar plus (?) chunk of your legacy to your niece would be a surprising turn of events all things considered.

Her position has no effect on the football operations. Her role is mainly working with Charities and the Community. Kind of PR, but in a philanthropic way.

This has nothing to do with football or the actual team. Only the business side of it, and the Charity work that is important to the NFL.

This is not an heir. This is not another Wilson to stick their nose in the draft.

Not a big deal for us fans. Good for her.

Edited by DrDankenstein