Very interesting comment in PFW Whispers re: Lee Evans

Easley's emergence could mean the end of the line for high-priced vet Lee Evans.

It could snow in North Carolina. The possibilities are endless.

The first thing that has to happen is for Easley to get on the field. The second thing, he has to produce... and produce consistently.

Evans draws the double teams. Easley and Johnson don't. When teams start doubleteaming and game planning for Easley or Johnson, then I'll believe it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We dont need to worry about saving money- we need to worry about getting quality players. Lee is a bargain at $4million and it is bout time we sign some big time players. And I too will vomit if we trade away another number one for a 5th round pick. Quickly off the top of my head Lee might be the only decent first round pick the Bills have made this millenium so far

Funny stuff with the Marcus Easley hype. He was a 4th rounder, something like the 100th best college player. And that's the shooting star that we are desperate to hitch our wagons to. I hope he is super great too, but let's get serious - there is absolutely ZERO reason to believe that he is a superstar in the making, aside from blind optimism.

He had a very exciting camp. That doesn't make him a superstar but it's hardly "zero reason" to get excited.

PTR

If the Bills turn another 1st rounder into a 5th rounder I am going to fire a cannonball at Ralph's tennis court.

There was a lot of talk on TBD that Gailey and Nix didn't care about draft status and wouldn't hesitate to get rid of high pick. I think the staff saw after the Baltimore game that Evans was almost completely absent before his injury. Even though publicly he says the right things, he's played 7 seasons for a dead-end team. It would not surprise me if he's trying to play his way off the team.

Now that Johnson's had a good season, it wouldn't surprise me to see them deal Evans for a low pick and hype up Johnson as their top target. They could then play another low cost player in David Nelson and call it a move for the future. This is how this team operates.

Why on earth deal Evans for a low round pick? He is AT LEAST the second best receiver we have. He isn't all that expensive. We have a TON of needs for the draft and free agency and getting a replacement would be yet another drain on limited resources. At least in trading Marshawn we had Jackson and Spiller, although neither of them we "beast mode" backs. This would be just another in a long line of stupid personnel decisions keeping us fron improving.

just checked and Evans ranked 71st ahead of a lot of pretty darn good receivers...

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2010&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=RECEIVING&d-447263-p=2&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_YARDS&d-447263-n=1

The other guy we didn't try to sign or keep (TO) finished 18th.

It would be monumentally stupid to believe that a fourth-round pick coming off a season-ending injury, without one down of regular-season experience, is going to replace Evans, based on preseason results. You might compare this to believing that D. Bell could step in in 2009 to replace Peters. Whatever you think of the "overpriced vet," going into the season without great talent and a great plan B is asinine.

Ahhh, logic and reasoned thought. What exactly you hope to accomplish with that on TSW is anyone's guess.

It would be monumentally stupid to believe that a fourth-round pick coming off a season-ending injury, without one down of regular-season experience, is going to replace Evans, based on preseason results. You might compare this to believing that D. Bell could step in in 2009 to replace Peters. Whatever you think of the "overpriced vet," going into the season without great talent and a great plan B is asinine.

If moving Evans nets pieces that make the Bills better, so be it, but I have not seen anything from Stevie Johnson that tells me that he's emerged at #1. He is a very solid #2 who needs to work on his hands. None of us has seen anything from Marcus Easley yet, so I can't even begin to comprehend how he replaces Evans in terms of drawing away coverage and pure speed threat on the field. Perhaps he can be more effective going underneath, but again, I'm waiting for evidence against NFL competition.

I tend to agree with all your points.

The past Bills regime was even dumber than you suggest, they replaced Peters with Langston Walker and expected him to play LT in a "no huddle" offense.

The offense was pretty miserable without Lee actually......it is probably no coincidence that the worst passing offense was when he was out. He still commands a lot of respect from the opposing defenses as they know he has great speed and that keeps the safeties honest. You are NOT going to get that with anyone else on the roster right now.

The offense was pretty miserable without Lee actually......it is probably no coincidence that the worst passing offense was when he was out. He still commands a lot of respect from the opposing defenses as they know he has great speed and that keeps the safeties honest. You are NOT going to get that with anyone else on the roster right now.

That is called a reality check people.

Marcus Easly should be known as Santio Holmes.

The Jets gave up a 5th rounder for that superstar. I bet the Steelers would have prefered a 4th. The next time someone tells me "we cant afford to trade our draft picks bc we need to use them to rebuild" I am just gonna snap. Proven SUPERSTARS are better than 4th round draft prospects.

Then maybe we actually could've ditched Evans contract, and gotten BETTER in the process! What an awesome front office we have!!!

Edited by Thoner7

Marcus Easly should be known as Santio Holmes.

The Jets gave up a 5th rounder for that superstar. I bet the Steelers would have prefered a 4th. The next time someone tells me "we cant afford to trade our draft picks bc we need to use them to rebuild" I am just gonna snap. Proven SUPERSTARS are better than 4th round draft prospects.

Then maybe we actually could've ditched Evans contract, and gotten BETTER in the process! What an awesome front office we have!!!

Right - but how many of those contracts can you give out? Especially to guys with drug suspensions. If he walks from the jets this year you are comparing 12 games with holmes to an unknown career of easley.

Not so simple.

Right - but how many of those contracts can you give out? Especially to guys with drug suspensions. If he walks from the jets this year you are comparing 12 games with holmes to an unknown career of easley.

Not so simple.

It amounts to a 5th rounder for 12 games, 15 if you count the playoffs, for Holmes regardless if he resigns or not. The next contract is separate from this one, they could have not traded for him and signed him as a free agent and kept the 5th. Based on their success I guess the deal was worth it, but it wasn't such a sure thing at the time.

just checked and Evans ranked 71st ahead of a lot of pretty darn good receivers...

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2010&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=RECEIVING&d-447263-p=2&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_YARDS&d-447263-n=1

The other guy we didn't try to sign or keep (TO) finished 18th.

Rank of 71 for your #1 Wide out. WOW. Let's keep this guy, he is heckuva secret weapon. He may even catch 4 balls in game twice in a season.