Wannstedt a Bill

Lou

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Then why even bother with the Asst HC title? Just call him LB coach & Super VP Defensive Coordinator.

In this case, just as in April's case and Pitts' case, and anyone else with an Ass't HC title, it was done for NFL rules. No one knows what his real responsibility will be, and the Ass't HC title means squat in that regard.

In that case why not just call him the LB coach? Why give him the title of assistant HC? He already accepted the job. It's not like he will be hired away this year. If assistant HC is just a job title and means absolutely nothing wouldn't it stand to reason that the entire NFL would know this as well? It would make the title completely 100% totally useless. Therefore they wouldn't bother using it. Make sense?

Fair enough. We're all speculating. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Gailey is probably very comfortable with having a former HC in the NFL and college around on a day to day basis. There may be a few responsibilities that Gailey gives Wanny to relieve Chan of some HC duties so he can concentrate on his specialty, the offense. Gailey chose a lot of "teachers" as coaches because that is what he felt the Bills needed, and he was right. But he didn't have a lot of solid NFL experience on the staff. Having Wannstedt around could help a tad on both sides of the ball because things should run a little smoother, or Chan doesn't have to do everything the way some coaches do (and often deprives them of doing the stuff that got them the job in the first place). This really could prove to be a good hire. Players seem to really like Wannstedt, too.

Give that man a prize!!! He gets it.

In that case why not just call him the LB coach? Why give him the title of assistant HC? He already accepted the job. It's not like he will be hired away this year. If assistant HC is just a job title and means absolutely nothing wouldn't it stand to reason that the entire NFL would know this as well? It would make the title completely 100% totally useless. Therefore they wouldn't bother using it. Make sense?

Not one bit. Because a guy like him is never going to take a job with just the title of LB coach. It will look to the world like he couldn't get a HC, AHC, or DC job anywhere. He'd be better off not taking any job than taking a lower level "title" like that.

He's not saying it means absolutely nothing overall, it means a lot to the guy who has it. He's saying it doesn't automatically mean power or control or any specific responsibility whatsoever.

So a week ago, everyone here knew we blew the chance to sign Wannstache - but now everyone knows what his role will be??? :wacko:

Relax, it appears maybe the Bills front office isn't sleeping at the wheel.

Enjoy Dontay Moch in the Shrine Bowl tomorrow, and Carimi-Moffitt-Kendricks in next week's Senior Bowl, let the off-season and draft unfold, enjoy the playoffs, and know that next season we'll be in them.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Fear the 'stache!!!!! B-)

Edited by The Senator

Not one bit. Because a guy like him is never going to take a job with just the title of LB coach. It will look to the world like he couldn't get a HC, AHC, or DC job anywhere. He'd be better off not taking any job than taking a lower level "title" like that.

He's not saying it means absolutely nothing overall, it means a lot to the guy who has it. He's saying it doesn't automatically mean power or control or any specific responsibility whatsoever.

Is it really that difficult of a concept?

Great publicity stunt by the Bills. That ought to be good for 5,000 season tix.

Let me see... George Edwards is the DC. But, his superior is the Asst. HC and LB coach. Hey George, sounds like you just got busted to shift supervisor and you answer to the Asst. Foreman.

Bills look totally lost. First thee switch to the 3-4. Oops, Buddy and Chan forget, we don't have the talent (or coaching) to make that switch. Well, now that we're halfway there and suck, how about let's go somewhere in between and we'll call it the "hybrid". The fans will buy that term hook, line and sinker and believe they are getting the best of both defenses and that the Bills will be successful with it. So, the season plays out and everyone knows Edwards is in over his head. So, let's bring in Dick LeBeau like we did in 03. Oops, we get Wanny now instead of LeBeau as a consultant? Fricking Wanny? He knows squat about the 3-4. Oh, wait. The Bills are going back to the 4-3. Brilliant. Meanwhile, the Bills still do not have the big three inside or any outside rushing presence. Oh, I get it, our 260 lb. outside LB Merriman will be a high motor DE in the 4-3.

Oh what fun it is being a Bills fan. One step forward, two steps backward.

Do you honestly believe DW (or ANY defensive coach with his tenure) doesn't know squat about the 3/4? Do you think LeBeau or Philips don't know squat about the 4/3?

Just because experienced, successful coaches prefer scheming from a particular front DOESN'T mean they aren't intimately familiar with different fronts. They are.

GO BILLS!!!

Perhaps I over estimated the strength of his statement. I think it means exactly what it sounds like. He will have a role and responsibility of being an assistant head coach. What does that mean? He will not be an assistant positional coach. He will not be an assistant coordinator. He will be an assistant head coach. EVERYONE reports to the head coach. Wanny will assist in overseeing coaching the entire team presumably with a focus on defense.

Instead of seeing this as barely more than a title I see it as Wanny having a lot of input to the defensive COORDINATOR as an assistant HEAD COACH. I very much imagine his role will be similar to what Gailey's is with the offense. To be honest I can never remember the name of our offensive coordinator because it is Gailey's show. To be clear. I am not saying Wanny will be making the calls or all things go through him like Gailey. I am saying he will be heavily involved in game planning, film study, scheming, etc. He will help to oversee the defense and he will specifically focus on the position that is our worst on defense. LB.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Edited by PDaDdy

The answer is whatever shuts down the opponent best on that given day or play. 5-2 might get Williams, Carrington and Troup onfield at the same time, and that might be right for a given situation. You run what you need to.

DW is a 4-3. I'm wondering if he picked Buffalo because of the players we have. It's going to be interesting!

Perhaps I over estimated the strength of his statement. I think it means exactly what it sounds like. He will have a role and responsibility of being an assistant head coach. What does that mean? He will not be an assistant positional coach. He will not be an assistant coordinator. He will be an assistant head coach. EVERYONE reports to the head coach. Wanny will assist in overseeing coaching the entire team presumably with a focus on defense.

Instead of seeing this as barely more than a title I see it as Wanny having a lot of input to the defensive COORDINATOR as an assistant HEAD COACH. I very much imagine his role will be similar to what Gailey's is with the offense. To be honest I can never remember the name of our offensive coordinator because it is Gailey's show. To be clear. I am not saying Wanny will be making the calls or all things go through him like Gailey. I am saying he will be heavily involved in game planning, film study, scheming, etc. He will help to oversee the defense and he will specifically focus on the position that is our worst on defense. LB.

All speculation, but you sure sound pretty confident - I'll give you that much.

Like many of you, I really wonder how much influence will Wanny have on the defense. Remember when Dick Lebeau was hired mid season as assistant head coach for the bills and Gray was the defensive coordinator. If memory serves me correct, Gray still made the defensive calls. In fact, I don't remember the defense changing much at all. At the conclusion of that season, Lebeau was offered the defensive coordinator job (supposedley a downgrade from being an assistant head coach) and he turned it down to become a defensive coordinator with the steelers.

So if being an assistant head coach is truly an upgrade, why would Lebeau (1) turn down the position to become a defensive coordinator at another team (2) why would the Bills offer Lebeau a defensive coordinator job after having him on staff an an assistant head coach.

As much as I wish different, I think an assistant head coach is nothing more than tittle to not insult Wanny. He may make more than Edwards etc, but at the end of the day, it will be Edwards who will be responsible for defensive game planning with heavy input from Wanny. Don't expect to see many new wrinkles in the defense.

Great publicity stunt by the Bills. That ought to be good for 5,000 season tix.

Let me see... George Edwards is the DC. But, his superior is the Asst. HC and LB coach. Hey George, sounds like you just got busted to shift supervisor and you answer to the Asst. Foreman.

Bills look totally lost. First thee switch to the 3-4. Oops, Buddy and Chan forget, we don't have the talent (or coaching) to make that switch. Well, now that we're halfway there and suck, how about let's go somewhere in between and we'll call it the "hybrid". The fans will buy that term hook, line and sinker and believe they are getting the best of both defenses and that the Bills will be successful with it. So, the season plays out and everyone knows Edwards is in over his head. So, let's bring in Dick LeBeau like we did in 03. Oops, we get Wanny now instead of LeBeau as a consultant? Fricking Wanny? He knows squat about the 3-4. Oh, wait. The Bills are going back to the 4-3. Brilliant. Meanwhile, the Bills still do not have the big three inside or any outside rushing presence. Oh, I get it, our 260 lb. outside LB Merriman will be a high motor DE in the 4-3.

Oh what fun it is being a Bills fan. One step forward, two steps backward.

If your toe is on the trigger, then please step forward.

IMO, it will be nothing whatsoever like what Gailey does with the offense. Gailey runs the entire offense. He decides who starts, who plays, makes the game plans, and calls all plays, making every single important decision.

In all likelihood, Edwards will run the defense, decide who starts, who plays, make the game plans and call all defenses, with essential input and advice on each of them from Wannstedt.

One thing I was somewhat surprised to hear from Gailey after the season was that he left Edwards completely alone and didn't have much to do with the defense at all.