Kiper Mock 1.0 on ESPN.com Insider

clancynut

We all give Mel a lot of crap, but had he been doing our drafts for us since 2006, I think we would have been better off. Here is who he had us taking:

2006: Ngata (thought Whitner was a reach and the move up to get McCargo puzzling)

2007: Revis or Leon Hall (understood the "need" for Lynch but thought 12 was too early)

2008: Don't remember who had mocked for us to take, but I think he was OK with the McKelvin pick there

2009: Orakpo (was down on Maybin; McShay loved Maybin)

2010: A Davis (He agreed that Spiller was probably the BPA but thought he was a luxury pick)

What's funny is that most of those picks were in line with conventional wisdom. Maybe it would be alright for once if the Bills didn't try to outsmart everybody.

One good thing: most of those players this year at the top of the draft played in the SEC, which is in Nix's wheelhouse.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, kiper making sense. I guess all that money ESPN is paying him isn't a complete waste.

Kiper is wrong every draft for sure...but a lot less wrong than Tom Modrak.

What's funny is that most of those picks were in line with conventional wisdom. Maybe it would be alright for once if the Bills didn't try to outsmart everybody.

This is exactly right.

People on the board want to ridicule draft experts, but whenever the Bills go against the grain it's the draft experts that are proven correct.

Just wish there was a way to trade down and still get Darius plus a 2nd rounder.....

There could be. Cleveland NEEDS A.J. Green. They could trade up if they think the Bills would take him. Cincinnati I think would def. take him if he was there because TO and Ocho look like they are on their way out of 'Nati.

I'm by no means an authority on this subject (don't watch much college ball) but I understand Bowers goes about 280lb which is about the size Bruce played 3-4 DE. Of course, players have gotten a bit bigger in the last few years, but I'd be more concerned with the style of his frame than his weight.

If I am not mistaken, Bruce Smith played at closer to 260-265 in his prime. That doesn't make him an ideal multi-purpose 3-4 DE, but

he was a Hall Of Fame all-around DE in any defensive scheme. A 280 pounder is not too small to play 3-4 DE in today's NFL. The skill

level is more important than the size IMHO

Buffalo BillsRecord: 4-12

* Marcell Dareus, DE, AlabamaBuffalo has started to assemble the pieces for its 3-4 defense and Dareus has outstanding pass-rush skills and fits as a defensive end in the system. This is too early to take an offensive tackle in terms of value, but it's a good opportunity to land an ideal fit if the Bills don't want to trade down. I'm sure some Bills fans would clamor for a guy like A.J. Green in this spot, but after 2010 the Bills simply have to address the lines, and the development of Stevie Johnson limits the receiver need anyway.

Finally, he makes a sensible case

If anyone wants to watch Dareus.....there are twelve plays featuring him from their last bowl game up on YouTube. Just type in "Marcell Dareus". Based on what I saw there, we could do a lot worse.

He's got a good low center of gravity and uses his arms to shed blocks really well. IMO he'll have to get a little quicker, but the O-line he was playing against in the bowl game just couldn't stop him.

Edited by gobillsinytown

Dareus, I think, is the safest D-lineman to pick. Of Bowers, Fairley, Dareus, Quinn, I think the only sure pick is Dareus. Fairley will be good, if not great -but, with all the hype he's been getting, if he isn't a monster pro-bowl force then he'll be a disappointment. Bowers and Quinn could be terrific, could tear it up, but, there are concerns with each, depending on where they land, if they'll be able to duplicate the success they had in college - much the same concerns people had with Maybin.

But, Dareus has been doing it all along, on a pro-style team, and even when he's been down, or off, he's still pretty good. If we get Dareus we'll be getting a lock down player for as long as he's here. The question is, what type of defense do our coaches see us playing? That, and if Bowers is as great as they say, or Quinn, for that matter - if one of those guys is actually capable of being a 3-4 end, like Bruce was - or, Quinn being a 12+ sack a year OLBer, then we would be good to get one of them, too, as Dareus is similar is size and style to Williams.

Either way, the experts say - and it surely appears to be true - that this draft is heavy on defensive front seven talent. I think we should consider ourselves lucky and get as many of these talents as possible, and look to F.A. to fix what we don't get in the draft. I'd hate to see us pass over defensive talent just to add to the offense.

McShay is stealing money from ESPN. How this guy is regarded as an expert is beyond me.

True. I'll never forget him praising the Maybin pick while Mayock questioned his ability to stop the run. Forget McShea, what's Mayock saying?

If anyone wants to watch Dareus.....there are twelve plays featuring him from their last bowl game up on YouTube. Just type in "Marcell Dareus". Based on what I saw there, we could do a lot worse.

He's got a good low center of gravity and uses his arms to shed blocks really well. IMO he'll have to get a little quicker, but the O-line he was playing against in the bowl game just couldn't stop him.

Could you please post the link? I couldn't find it and I check for Dareus video every day. Thanks.

Dareus is similar is size and style to Williams.

Sorry if it seems I'm being a control freak, whack a mole player…(I just contradicted Papzoid in another thread who made the Williams-Dareus comparison) but there's a big reason why Kyle Williams was drafted in the 5th round and that Marcell Dareus is considered a Top Five pick.

I'm a huge Kyle Williams fan. In my book he's a great player and I say that with zero reservations. But there's a wide gap in the level of athleticism between Williams and Dareus.

Comparing Dareus to Williams as a football player is a compliment.

Comparing him to Williams as an athlete is not.

We all give Mel a lot of crap, but had he been doing our drafts for us since 2006, I think we would have been better off. Here is who he had us taking:

2006: Ngata (thought Whitner was a reach and the move up to get McCargo puzzling)

2007: Revis or Leon Hall (understood the "need" for Lynch but thought 12 was too early)

2008: Don't remember who had mocked for us to take, but I think he was OK with the McKelvin pick there

2010: A Davis (He agreed that Spiller was probably the BPA but thought he was a luxury pick)

One good thing: most of those players this year at the top of the draft played in the SEC, which is in Nix's wheelhouse.

Maybe ol Ralphy should just ask Kiper his opinion from now on. Those players all would have payed greater dividends than the FO's picks.

Maybe ol Ralphy should just ask Kiper his opinion from now on. Those players all would have payed greater dividends than the FO's picks.

True. But this 'group'-Ralph included--extended Kelsay.We're all still shaking our heads.

He's not making total sense. What fans are clamoring for AJ Green?

the ones on buffalobills.com.

I remember when the posters over there were hoping and praying that Crabtree would fall to us.... AFTER we signed TO. As bad as it is here, the posters over there make no sense.

This is really an interesting point I didn't consider.

hey, kiper making sense. I guess all that money ESPN is paying him isn't a complete waste.

Kiper actually has good draft analysis. Its Mcshay that has terrible analysis. Granted Kiper isn't perfect but its impossible to be perfect. Kiper does two things really well 1- He knows teams needs and 2- he knows how players are valued around the league.

Look at his mocks they are somewhat representative of around when certain players will be drafted.

I could get really depressed thinking about what might have been with Ngata, Revis and Orakpo on it, but in all likelihood Jauron would still be the coach.

Mel Kiper has released his first mock draft on ESPN Insider today. He has us taking Marcel Dareus because his ability to play multiple positions on the DL. Also states A.J. Green would not be a good fit because of Stevie Johnson's development. Sorry no link because its ESPN insider.

Not sure why, but 6 sacks during his Sophomore year and 5 sacks during his Junior year doesn't excite me. He had a total of three tackles during his Bowl game against MSU. Does anyone else think Kiper and his crew are touting another D lineman just for the sake of it. Is this kid really that great to justify a THIRD pick overall. He may be loved by the analysts, but his numbers are anything but extraordinary. Will he really be the Best Player Available at the THIRD pick??? I don't like this pick. I say we stockpile some draft picks and explore FA.

Marcell Dareus #57 DT

CAREER STATS

TACKLES FUMBLES FORCED INTERCEPTIONS

66 0 1

Hometown BIRMINGHAM, AL

Height 6-4

Weight 306 lbs.

Class Junior

ProfileStatsGame Log

*Defensive tackle statistics are not considered official.

Stats Overview Tackles Misc Interceptions

YEAR TOT SOLO AST SACK STF STFY FF BK INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD

2009 33 19 14 6 0 0 0 0 1 28 28.0 28 1 0

2010 33 20 13 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

2010 Regular Season Game Log Tackles Misc Interceptions

DATE OPP RESULT TOT SOLO AST SACK STF STFY FF BK INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD

9/4 San Jose State W 48-3 Did Not Play or did not accumulate any stats.

9/11 Penn State W 24-3 Did Not Play or did not accumulate any stats.

9/18 @Duke W 62-13 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

9/25 @Arkansas W 24-20 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

10/2 Florida W 31-6 3 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 1

10/9 @South Carolina L 35-21 8 6 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

10/16 Mississippi W 23-10 4 2 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

10/23 @Tennessee W 41-10 2 0 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 2

11/6 @LSU L 24-21 4 1 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

11/13 Mississippi State W 30-10 3 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

11/18 Georgia State W 63-7 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

11/26 Auburn L 28-27 3 2 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

2010 Postseason Game Log Tackles Misc Interceptions

BOWL OPP RESULT TOT SOLO AST SACK STF STFY FF BK INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD

CAPITAL ONE BOWL @Michigan State W 49-7 3 2 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

The O Line couldn't stop him in the Bowl game?? The ESPN stats for Dareus show he had 3 total tackles all game. Not sure that is the level of talent I want to see with our third pick overall. Just my opinion.