Kiper Mock 1.0 on ESPN.com Insider

clancynut

Mel Kiper has released his first mock draft on ESPN Insider today. He has us taking Marcel Dareus because his ability to play multiple positions on the DL. Also states A.J. Green would not be a good fit because of Stevie Johnson's development. Sorry no link because its ESPN insider.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffalo BillsRecord: 4-12

* Marcell Dareus, DE, AlabamaBuffalo has started to assemble the pieces for its 3-4 defense and Dareus has outstanding pass-rush skills and fits as a defensive end in the system. This is too early to take an offensive tackle in terms of value, but it's a good opportunity to land an ideal fit if the Bills don't want to trade down. I'm sure some Bills fans would clamor for a guy like A.J. Green in this spot, but after 2010 the Bills simply have to address the lines, and the development of Stevie Johnson limits the receiver need anyway.

He has Fairley #1 and Patrick Peterson #2. FWIW- He has Gabbert going to Arizona #5, AJ Green to Cleveland #6, Von Miller to Tenn #8, Cam Newton to Washington #10, Ryan Mallett to Seattle #25

So I assume he has Bowers going #4 to Cincy? Is that wise to pass on him? I've really been going back and forth on my opinion of all these guys. Dareus would by no means be a bad choice, but I don't think he has anywhere near the pass rushing potential that Bowers has...despite Bowers being a little too light to play 3-4 DE.

Thoughts?

BTW, Todd McShay also did a Mock today on ESPN and has the Bills selecting Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert with Bowers and Fairley going #1 and #2.

McShay is stealing money from ESPN. How this guy is regarded as an expert is beyond me.

So I assume he has Bowers going #4 to Cincy? Is that wise to pass on him? I've really been going back and forth on my opinion of all these guys. Dareus would by no means be a bad choice, but I don't think he has anywhere near the pass rushing potential that Bowers has...despite Bowers being a little too light to play 3-4 DE.

Thoughts?

I'm not buying the hype on Bowers. He doesn't that explosive first step that I would like to see. I like Dareus better. He's versatile and can play any position on the defensive line regardless of if we're playing a 3-4 or 4-3. I also think he's being underrated as a pass rusher.

Thoughts?

they are saying that bowers is more of a 4-3 lb and if we were going to go with the 4-3 he would be a good pick, and dareus is a beast not a bad pick

Thoughts?

I'm by no means an authority on this subject (don't watch much college ball) but I understand Bowers goes about 280lb which is about the size Bruce played 3-4 DE. Of course, players have gotten a bit bigger in the last few years, but I'd be more concerned with the style of his frame than his weight.

I love that 1-2-3 combo, and Dareus is what I am hoping for. I think I prefer him to Fairley, but wouldn't mind Fairley either if things shake up before draft day. I'm not sold on Peterson or Prince being an absolute lock to be a top shutdown corner in this league yet, and I don't think getting a good CB is as important as getting a good DL, so I would only be happy with those guys if after careful vetting by Chan and Buddy they really really think one of those guys is a lock to be a pro-bowler.

Dareus makes the most sense, and I think will be there at #3, and has a good chance of being both BPA and NEED, which is a pretty exciting combo. Then Ralph will probably make us draft Green or Mallett anyway... :wallbash:

Carolina Panthers

Record: 2-14

* Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn

The No. 1 overall player on the Big Board, and one who can pay immediate dividends. Fairley isn't just a safe pick because of his excellent burst, violent hand action and ability to effectively penetrate and be a constant nuisance against both the run and pass; he also has the chance to be a dominant player regardless of system. Detroit and Tampa Bay drafted the top defensive tackles at Nos. 2 and 3 last year. Carolina should start earlier in 2011. A slight mean streak in a DT isn't the worst trait. Even Ndamukong Suh showed a bit of one this season.

Denver Broncos

Record: 4-12

* Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

Denver CB Champ Bailey is a future Hall of Famer, but he's a free agent entering his 13th NFL season and Peterson has the physical skills to be an immediate starter in the secondary and a force in the return game. Denver has enough needs where it could go several directions with this pick, but getting the best size-speed combo in the draft, a guy who can help immediately, is a smart play. Simply an electrifying talent.

Buffalo Bills

* Marcell Dareus, DE, Alabama

Buffalo has started to assemble the pieces for its 3-4 defense and Dareus has outstanding pass-rush skills and fits as a defensive end in the system. This is too early to take an offensive tackle in terms of value, but it's a good opportunity to land an ideal fit if the Bills don't want to trade down. I'm sure some Bills fans would clamor for a guy like A.J. Green in this spot, but after 2010 the Bills simply have to address the lines, and the development of Stevie Johnson limits the receiver need anyway.

Cincinnati Bengals

* Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson

Rookie Carlos Dunlap came on late for the Bengals and finished with 9.5 sacks, but the chance to draft the best pure pass-rusher on the board and immediately have in place a more formidable pass rush is too much to pass up. Bowers has the skill-set, explosiveness and relentless pass-rushing skills of a No. 1 overall pick. He's a good value, even at No. 4.

Arizona Cardinals

Record: 5-11

* Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

The Cardinals were a mess at quarterback in 2010, and while Max Hall and John Skelton showed glimpses, both are projects, and there's no real solution in place for next season outside of a trade. Gabbert will be under the microscope during the testing process perhaps more than any other player, but at this stage he's the most NFL-ready QB in the draft. Arizona is in a tough spot: If the Cardinals pass on Gabbert, there won't be a QB who can do more for them sooner than Skelton or Hall later in the draft. Gabbert offers a strong arm, protoype size, reads the game well and has a lot of upside.

Cleveland Browns

Record: 5-11

* A.J. Green, WR, Georgia

The Browns need a No.1 wideout and Green has fit the profile since he landed between the hedges at Georgia. Green is a complete package, with size, speed and solid route-running skills, and he will be the best friend of a young quarterback as a player that's able to go up and take the ball away. Cleveland has some good pieces, and Green is exactly what Colt McCoy needs.

San Francisco 49ers

Record: 6-10

* Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina

It's an understatement to say that Quinn will be fresh. After sitting out his entire junior year at Chapel Hill, it's a testament to Quinn's talent that he's this high on the draft board. And make no mistake -- scouts think extremely highly of Quinn. If his preparations for the draft process are up to par, at this spot he offers the Niners a pure pass-rusher at defensive end that can only be matched by Bowers.

Tennessee Titans

Record: 6-10

Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M

Miller has th

Edited by BUFFALOTONE