John Fox to take over in Denver

boyst

Link

WTF? Really? Anyone who thinks this guy is a HC is a fool. He is just like Greggo. This guy was a complete failure in NC and was held up by a good team and good surrounding coaches for the few years of success he had, Denver is going to suffer for another decade.

Edited by jboyst62

I think Fox is a good coach. He was undermined by the worst front office in the league with the worst GM in the league in Marty Hurney. The draft misses, missed free agent opportunities and the worst, not signing Peppers to an extension gave Fox a bunch of either bad or inconsistent teams. Carolina won't improve until they clean out their front office.

Fox was a botched kickoff away from knocking off the Pats and getting a ring, plus he nearly took the team back to the Super Bowl in 2005. This year was a disaster, but he's been a successful coach up to this point. I wish we had had his track record in Carolina up to this point. He did more than Shannahan/McDaniels in the same time frame.

Before many of you were here, a long-long time ago, nearly everyone on this board was outraged we did not sign Fox as headcoach. It was his first few years in Carolina everyone on this board was outraged we had Gregg Williams leading the show when we could have had Fox. That was 2001-2003, right after Wade Phillips.

Now, here we are with John Fox again being looked at as amazing and people just do not get it; the grass is always greener, the other coach is always better, one teams PS player is better then our starter, and every time we sign a veteran to an extension we did the wrong thing.

John Fox was a factor for each draft in the Panthers organization; that he never took a QB high is amazing. Jake Delhomme was traded to the Panthers as a backup from the Saints - Fox got lucky to have him the first few years and rode that pony until it went lame, two years later. He had Steve Smith who is the most overrated player in the NFL and at one point had Kerry Collins who is still a consistent starter in the NFL. Collins, far from excellent, was run out of town and never backed by his head coach. Fox's willingness to not support his players, inconsistent decision making on players, and inability to lead the team are what ran him out of Charlotte. Anyone who does not see this does not follow the Panthers well enough, living outside of Charlotte I do have an advantage. Fox was never liked, Delhomme was loved, the city doesn't follow football much, and Julius Peppers was the only thing the fan base has cared about in the last 5 years.

Before many of you were here, a long-long time ago, nearly everyone on this board was outraged we did not sign Fox as headcoach. It was his first few years in Carolina everyone on this board was outraged we had Gregg Williams leading the show when we could have had Fox. That was 2001-2003, right after Wade Phillips.

Now, here we are with John Fox again being looked at as amazing and people just do not get it; the grass is always greener, the other coach is always better, one teams PS player is better then our starter, and every time we sign a veteran to an extension we did the wrong thing.

John Fox was a factor for each draft in the Panthers organization; that he never took a QB high is amazing. Jake Delhomme was traded to the Panthers as a backup from the Saints - Fox got lucky to have him the first few years and rode that pony until it went lame, two years later. He had Steve Smith who is the most overrated player in the NFL and at one point had Kerry Collins who is still a consistent starter in the NFL. Collins, far from excellent, was run out of town and never backed by his head coach. Fox's willingness to not support his players, inconsistent decision making on players, and inability to lead the team are what ran him out of Charlotte. Anyone who does not see this does not follow the Panthers well enough, living outside of Charlotte I do have an advantage. Fox was never liked, Delhomme was loved, the city doesn't follow football much, and Julius Peppers was the only thing the fan base has cared about in the last 5 years.

I don't think there is any doubt that Fox did more with his opportunity in Carolina than Gregg Williams did in Buffalo.

Fox's Coaching record.

Team Year Regular Season Post Season

Won Lost Ties Win % Finish Won Lost Win % Result

CAR 2002 7 9 0 .438 4th in NFC South - - - -

CAR 2003 11 5 0 .688 1st in NFC South 3 1 .750 Lost to New England Patriots in Super Bowl XXXVIII.

CAR 2004 7 9 0 .438 3rd in NFC South - - - -

CAR 2005 11 5 0 .688 2nd in NFC South 2 1 .667 Lost to Seattle Seahawks in NFC Championship Game.

CAR 2006 8 8 0 .500 2nd in NFC South - - - -

CAR 2007 7 9 0 .438 2nd in NFC South - - - -

CAR 2008 12 4 0 .750 1st in NFC South 0 1 .000 Lost to Arizona Cardinals in NFC Divisonal Game.

CAR 2009 8 8 0 .500 3rd in NFC South - - - -

CAR 2010 2 14 0 .125 4th in NFC South - - - -

Total 73 71 0 .506 5 3 .625 -

Greggo's record:

Year Age Team G W L T W-L%

2001 43 Buffalo Bills 16 3 13 0 .188

2002 44 Buffalo Bills 16 8 8 0 .500

2003 45 Buffalo Bills 16 6 10 0 .375

3 yrs 17 31 0 .354

I don't think there is any doubt that Fox did more with his opportunity in Carolina than Gregg Williams did in Buffalo.

I am not saying Williams was better then Fox, or even that Fox should have been our coach - I am saying that Fox is not the coach people thought he was, and evidently some people still think he is more then he is...

Didn't mean for the confusion...

Fox was a botched kickoff away from knocking off the Pats and getting a ring, plus he nearly took the team back to the Super Bowl in 2005. This year was a disaster, but he's been a successful coach up to this point. I wish we had had his track record in Carolina up to this point. He did more than Shannahan/McDaniels in the same time frame.

Beat me to it, Fox always had very physical smash mouth teams, wish he would have gotten the job instead of Greg.

You may want to do your homework before ranting...

Collins never played for Fox in Carolina. He was drafted by Carolina in 1995, but only played for 3+ years before he was traded to New Orleans, then played for the Giants. Fox was the Giants' DC during the year Collins played for them in the Superbowl, but Fox left the following year to coach Carolina. Collins stayed with the Giants for a few more years before going to Oakland, then to Tennessee.

Fox started losing his stars, which hurt his standing. Delhomme fell off a cliff after the playoff game where he threw 5 INTs against Arizona and was never the same. Matt Moore and Jimmy Clausen haven't exactly been Joe Montana, either. They lost Mushin Muhammed as a complement to Steve Smith and they never got anyone to step up to replace him. Their RBs (Williams, Stewart) are constantly injured, and losing Peppers killed their defense. The front office didn't exactly help, either - I can't think of a starter for their defense and the only recognizable name on their team (to me) is Steve Smith.

If Carolina had won even 2-3 more games this year, Fox should have been considered a genius. I don't necessarily blame Fox for their collapse since the players and front office didn't help, but I think Carolina just needed a change and that's why they let him go. Denver is lucky to get him and I expect them to be contending in a year or so...provided Bowlen & Elway have some patience.

Edited by BuffaloWings

Link

WTF? Really? Anyone who thinks this guy is a HC is a fool. He is just like Greggo. This guy was a complete failure in NC and was held up by a good team and good surrounding coaches for the few years of success he had, Denver is going to suffer for another decade.

I'm impressed with this hire. You need balls the size of grapefruits to think you can sell a 2-14 coach to a fanbase.