James Starks

ET1062

Yup.

Starks - undrafted

Fred Jackson - undrafted

NFL rushing champ A. Foster - undrated

Runner up: J. Charles - 3d round

2d runner up: M. Turner - 5th round

Sure there are a number of first round RBs starting around the leauge, but the RB is the easiest piece to find to have a good running game. OL and a QB that has to be respected are far greater priorities.

Pierre Thomas, Chris ivory,in new Orleans too

But I think there is something said for early backs, I just worry that if they are feature backs, they've been fed too many carries in college to get the 1st round stats, if they are shifty they have to re-learn the position. A mid - late round small school guy that was a straight ahead runner probably didn't take near the shots that a 3 year starter in the SEC did.

They are bigger, stronger, faster typically though. All three hard qualities to argue against.

Yes, I made this list to slam Spiller. :doh:

PTR

Whew, thankfully you weren't around to witness O.J's first couple of years as there was nothing special in them, yet he went number one overall in the draft.

To be accurate, prior coach Jim Hofher recruited all but Roosevelt. Here's a little trivia for you: There are 6 UB players signed to NFL teams right now...

DE Trevor Scott - Oakland

C Jamey Richard - Indianapolis

S Mike Newton - Indianapolis

WR Naaman Roosevelt - Buffalo

RB James Starks - Green Bay

QB Drew Willy - NY Jets (futures roster)

CB Davonte Shannon has some NFL draft prospects as well. A golden age for UB football.

PTR

Extra trivia. Two UB alimni played in the latter years of the AFL. Gerry Philben - NY Jets ; John Stofa (QB) - Miami Dolphins

To me, the best RBs in the pros have that downhill running style. You see it from Starks, Freddie, Jamaal Charles, etc.. These guys get the ball and don't try to juke your socks off. They hit the seam hard, make one cut at most and always seem to fall forward for that extra yard.

As for Spiller, he claims to have learned this lesson late in the season. We'll see, hopefully for us Bills fans he has.

To me, the best RBs in the pros have that downhill running style. You see it from Starks, Freddie, Jamaal Charles, etc.. These guys get the ball and don't try to juke your socks off. They hit the seam hard, make one cut at most and always seem to fall forward for that extra yard.

This is why I preferred Fred Jackson over Marshawn Lynch. Hit the hole and run through it - plain and simple. Lynch would (and still does) try to juke and make everyone miss. It looks good sometimes (looked good on Saturday), but every time you try and deke someone, that gives time for the other 10 defenders to catch up to you.

As for Spiller, he claims to have learned this lesson late in the season. We'll see, hopefully for us Bills fans he has.

Personally, I think Spiller was overwhelmed a bit by the pro game. He was probably realizing quickly that the NFL linebackers are a lot faster than the ones he saw in the ACC and couldn't figure out how to adjust. He needs more time (more than we'd expect out of a first-round pick), but hopefully has started to adjust. I also hope this will pay off next year.

As a UB alum, I'm proud of our guy. Glad to see Starks and Naaman making contributions to their respective teams.

As another UB alum, it shows what a great job Turner Gil did at UB. The Bulls are starting to make their marks in the NFL!

Now, some attention needs to be given to the program back at UB!

And, Starks does show that it is rare that a running back is worth a first round pick ... there always seem to be some good RB's and WR's who don't get drafted or who are available later in the draft. Linemen early .. the building blocks of a team!

Well said! It should be incredibly obvious to Bills fans (especially older ones) who saw OJ languish in mediocrity until a great OL and a decent QB in Fergy propel him to greatness (I won't bring up what brought him down). The RB does need to know how to find and hit the hole, plus have the moves and power for extra yards. However, if the OL is bad, everyone behind them looks that much worse as well.

My theory - the team that controls the trenches, controls the game.

Starks had some BIG holes to run through. He was a monster at UB. The Willy/Roosevelt/Starks title team was great to watch. Probably never happen again with Turner Gill gone, but good while it lasted.

It also bears mentioning that Starks not only starred at UB, but is also a homegrown talent. He is born and raised in Niagara Falls and was a star QB for the Niagara Falls High School Wolverines, the same school that put Jonny Flynn in the NBA.

Way to go "Buck," the Cataract City is proud of you! Go get yourself some dirty bird, then on to the NFC Championship game.

Yup.

Starks - undrafted

Fred Jackson - undrafted

NFL rushing champ A. Foster - undrated

Runner up: J. Charles - 3d round

2d runner up: M. Turner - 5th round

Sure there are a number of first round RBs starting around the leauge, but the RB is the easiest piece to find to have a good running game. OL and a QB that has to be respected are far greater priorities.

While the second part about OL and QB is likely true, you can make a list like that from all positions. All positions can be found anywhere. I like Starks a lot but he had 1-2 good games (one thing I didn't know about him was that he is John Starks' son, which is cool).

The reason we drafted Spiller so high was not because he was a RB and we needed a RB or the powers that be felt a team needs to build around a top RB but because Spiller was a game breaker with ridiculous speed who could help in the run, pass and return games. And we had no playmaker on offense who was a threat by himself. Whether or not he turns out to be that player remains to be seen, but (and I'm not referring to you here) it's dumb to say you don't draft a RB in the 1st or that you can find a RB anywhere like it is an easy thing to do, and then use Spiller as an example. If there was a stud RB at 9 without that speed they never ever would have drafted him.

Jammal Charles is a special player because of his speed and game breaking ability. Guys like Starks are a dime a dozen with a lot of talent and capable of a very good game. Guys like Charles (even though he was a third rounder) are $360,000,000 a dozen.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog