Luck will not declare for the draft. Breaking news...

dayman

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although not shocked at his decision, I am a bit surprised seeing how his HC is flirting with coming to the NFL. Maybe Harbaugh is gonna stay at Stanford. Maybe Luck truly did want to complete his degree. Maybe his advisors told him the chance of a lockout is too great and he'd lose a year of football. Maybe he wants a nation championship or a Heisman. Interesting decision because he was far and away the top prospect and virtual lock for #1 overall.

Stupid decision in my opinion, if he really doesn't come out.

1) Projections I see are for a 60 mil contract with 30-40 mil guaranteed. Even if it isn't quite that much, he stands to make some serious guaranteed bank.

2) He plays one more year in college, has an off year, and slides down the draft and gets far less money.

3) He plays one more year in college and gets hurt. Career potentially over before it begins.

4) Big potential for rookie contract cap in 2012. The cap will be far less than 60 mil and 30-40 guaranteed, trust me.

If his Dad wants him to complete his degree for whatever reason, then go back and do the one year of college after football.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Stupid decision in my opinion, if he really doesn't come out.

1) Projections I see are for a 60 mil contract with 30-40 mil guaranteed. Even if it isn't quite that much, he stands to make some serious guaranteed bank.

2) He plays one more year in college, has an off year, and slides down the draft and gets far less money.

3) He plays one more year in college and gets hurt. Career potentially over before it begins.

4) Big potential for rookie contract cap in 2012. The cap will be far less than 60 mil and 30-40 guaranteed, trust me.

If his Dad wants him to complete his degree for whatever reason, then go back and do the one year of college after football.

1.) Anyone thinking Luck will not be the #1 overall in 2012 is ill informed, a flamer, or an idiot. You can categorize yourself accordingly.

2.) When was the last time a "knee" ended a QBs career? Luck would have to break his neck or get his throwing arm amputated to drop in draft position.

3.) He will make more money than he can spend in his life in 2011 or 2012 or 2013. He has a very special skill that is very highly compensated. There are not 32 human beings that can do what he most likely will do well.

4.) If you think Jack locker was a first round pick in 2010 you are either ill informed, a flamer or an idiot.

There will be a rookie salary of some sort in 2011 once the CBA is finalized. It makes zero sense to lock out the players, cry poor than go on 60 mil signing spree. So lets start there.

Its likely there is some kind of de-escalating salary pool, to get the #1 down to a 40 mil guaranteed area with 20 mil guaranteed area.

So in 2012 Luck gets 50 mil or 40 mil with 25-40 guaranteed. Personally in a day to day for Andrew Luck its really not going to make a huge difference in his life. Not to mention that if he actually performs well it will little to know factor in his life. His next contract will be huge and the endorsement deals will be coming in. Maybe in his 15 year year NFL career making a few 100 million, due to inflation, and endorsements, the difference may max 5 mil.

Now if he totally blows and never does anything in the NFL, yeah he cost himself that a ton of money.

But he must have faith in his skills and ability to make this decision.

There will be a rookie salary of some sort in 2011 once the CBA is finalized. It makes zero sense to lock out the players, cry poor than go on 60 mil signing spree. So lets start there.

Its likely there is some kind of de-escalating salary pool, to get the #1 down to a 40 mil guaranteed area with 20 mil guaranteed area.

So in 2012 Luck gets 50 mil or 40 mil with 25-40 guaranteed. Personally in a day to day for Andrew Luck its really not going to make a huge difference in his life. Not to mention that if he actually performs well it will little to know factor in his life. His next contract will be huge and the endorsement deals will be coming in. Maybe in his 15 year year NFL career making a few 100 million, due to inflation, and endorsements, the difference may max 5 mil.

Now if he totally blows and never does anything in the NFL, yeah he cost himself that a ton of money.

But he must have faith in his skills and ability to make this decision.

He will never get drafted higher than he would have this year. He might be drafted #1 next year, he might not. He will almost surely not make more money than he would have this year. Football is a sport where you are always 1 play away from serious injury. Your reasoning would make far more sense for a different sport.

He will never get drafted higher than he would have this year. He might be drafted #1 next year, he might not. He will almost surely not make more money than he would have this year. Football is a sport where you are always 1 play away from serious injury. Your reasoning would make far more sense for a different sport.

Understand there is no maybe. He will be the #1 overall in 2012 or 2013 or whenever he comes out. It is as certain as Standford insisting on using the singular form of Cardinal as their team name is awkward.

I asked this challenge before, name 1 good QB that had a career ending injury before the age of 30?

Palmer, Brady, Rivers, Brees, Big Ben, Culpepper all came back from injury. You can argue that Palmer and Culpepper never returned to form. I argue that Culpepper was exposed without Moss, but I will give you Palmer but not because of physical ability, I feel it is more mental he appears to be gun shy and not willing to risk injury to make a play. Either way they still played and still made Millions of dollars after injury.

Injuries are different for QBs, than any other position.

As long as they have basic mobility, and their arm is intact. They can still physically play and play well.

Not to mention Achilles injuries used to be career enders for RBs but Sports Therapy has come so far that we now have a few RBs and LBs in the NFL that have come back from this injury.

It seriously would take a life altering injury like paralysis, brain damage, or amputation to effect Andrew Lucks draft status. This is not an exaggeration and god forbid that from happening, but if it did then all the nitwits that think that going back to school is bad idea get proved correct.

For some specialized skills that are highly valued, like an NFL caliber QB, the money will always be there.

Edited by Why So Serious?

There sure seem to be a lot of people who don't understand the concept of insurance. Luck will have a very large policy in place before he steps back on a field.

Also, there is no gaurantee that 2011 draftees won't be subject to a new salary structure.

Please don't put me in the group of those who don't understand the concept of insurance. I also understand the lack of guaranteed big money in the upcoming draft, I wrote "potential", hence, no guarantee.

Let me ask you this. Would a $60 million insurance policy cover commercial earning revenue? I don't have the numbers, but Brady Quinn got paid from EAS before he was drafted. You think he still would've made those dollars after suffering a tramatic injury that ended his career?

Please don't put me in the group of those who don't understand the concept of insurance. I also understand the lack of guaranteed big money in the upcoming draft, I wrote "potential", hence, no guarantee.

Let me ask you this. Would a $60 million insurance policy cover commercial earning revenue? I don't have the numbers, but Brady Quinn got paid from EAS before he was drafted. You think he still would've made those dollars after suffering a tramatic injury that ended his career?

Name me anyone with a brain who needs more than $60 million.

Isnt it possible he will be even better with another year of experience, education in life and football?

He could likely still be highly ranked. I bet there will be teams thinking on next year and are going manuever this draft considering next years will have him available.

He is wise to wait. So do we go for Cam?

I would to get on another Franchise QB! bus as soon as possble.

Edited by 3rdand12

Somewhat surprising. He's losing his coach and three offensive linemen. Obviously, his stock can't get higher.

Even if Stanford has a down year next year, he'll still go #1. It's freaking obvious that he's that good. A down year won't hurt his draft stock given that whatever decline he or Stanford suffers will be because of the surrounding talent.

How hilarious would this be if we went 0-16 just to draft him?

PTR

I honestly don't believe the Bills will be much better next year. Maybe 6 wins... NFC East and AFC West... not a lot of wins there. Lose out to Pats and Jets.. you get to 10 losses pretty quickly. We'll be hoping they lose out by week 8 IMO

I believe his program is complete spring of 2012.

His is an extremely challenging program to complete in 4 years - but, thru AP credit and taking a heavy course load (19 credits this term alone, I've read), he's on track to graduate next Spring.

The confusion arises when people unfamiliar with him read that he's a sophomore - most of us know that, academically, this is Luck's junior year and that he's considered a sophomore ( ' red-shirt ' sophomore) only in NCAA athletic eligibility terms because he did not play in his freshman year.

His is an extremely challenging program to complete in 4 years - but, thru AP credit and taking a heavy course load (19 credits this term alone, I've read), he's on track to graduate next Spring.

The confusion arises when people unfamiliar with him read that he's a sophomore - most of us know that, academically, this is Luck's junior year and that he's considered a sophomore ( ' red-shirt ' sophomore) only in NCAA athletic eligibility terms because he did not play in his freshman year.

Spring quarter of 2012 Sen.