Bud Adams says Vince Young will not be on the team next year

boyst

Actually, Fitzpatrick and Vince Young are very similar quarterbacks. Having watched many titans games as I am a VY fan, Vince Young is much more consistent. What I mean by that is he is less likely to have 3 int + games. They both are very mobile, and have a good arm. I'd say Fitzpatrick has better accuracy with the mid-range short throws were VY is a lot better throwing down the field. With that said, I'd love for VY to come here although I'm not sure how well he would do with the problems we have on the o-line.

No. VY is Bizaro Fitz. Fitz is smart, is a leader, dedicated, gritty, a teammate, average athletic ability, a loser, choker in big games. VY has elite athletic ability, not smart, not a good teamate, not dedicated, a scrambler by athletic ability, not by toughness, a winner, clutch in big games.

VY is not a good backup. Fitz is. You either believe VY can be an elite starting QB or you don't. That's the only way you bring him in - to start.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

#1 - Though Wednesday’s move gives the Titans little trade leverage, Young’s contract will be tough to trade — and it’s unlikely that he’d renegotiate in order to help the Titans get anything of value in exchange for his rights. In late November, Charley Casserly of CBS reported that Young is due to be paid a $4.25 million roster bonus on the 10th day of the 2011 league year, whenever the 2011 league year begins. As a result, Young undoubtedly will be cut before the payment comes due, and he’ll become an unrestricted free agent.

ROTOWORLD: 7/27/2006: Signed a six-year, $58 million contract. The deal contains $25.74 million guaranteed, including a $2.64 million signing bonus, a $12.3 million option bonus in the second year, and a $4.25 million roster bonus in the fifth. 2011: $8.5 million (+ $4.25 million roster bonus due 3/10), 2012: Free Agent

#2 - A source says the vast majority of Titans players had grown frustrated with Young's repeated maturity issues, and he still hadn't progressed to the point where he could seamlessly call plays in the huddle, or commit himself to the work and preparation required of an NFL starting quarterback. Adams was made aware of how widespread the rest of the locker room felt hamstrung and held back by Young's lack of development.

MY COMMENT : sounds like Tony Dungy's next client. Dungy turned around Mike Vick and got Vick to do the playbook work neccessary to succeed. Vick has often mentioned he failed to fully reach his potential in Atlanta because of a lack of putting in the time to study film etc....i think the comparison to Vick is much more likely than a comparison to say Jamarcus Russel who got hooked on cough syrup. Vince Youngs problem is MATURITY....that can be corrected with a mentor like Tony Dungy. His difficulty with intelligence can be corrected with a commitment to TIME & HARD WORK. i think Vince Young will turn his life around and be a Top Ten QB in this league.

I know he's got talent and maybe a change of scenery will do him good. However, the biggest thing this team has going for it is its unity. No one person is above the team and they fight for one another (as highlighted in Merriman's interview). Why bring in a guy that can possibly disrupt that? Fisher is a pretty strong personality and couldn't keep him in line. Not to mention if he is a UFA which will most likely be the case as the PFT article said his contract is pretty heavy thus making a trade unlikely don't you think he's going to want to go to a team thats a contender or that he perceives to be a contender?

If we can sign VY we may also be able to get Bo Scaife to come along at a reduced price. Scaife had 36 catches last year (a down year for him), which is much more alone than the 22 or so that Nelson, Stupar and Martin combined for last year. If we can determine that Scaife is an intelligent, hardworking guy (i.e., a positive influence), that may also help VY's acclimation to our locker room and deal with some of the maturity issues if we can sell this to VY as a "last chance".

This, in turn, would allow us to go after a DL in Rd 1, a RT in Rd 2 and a LB in Rd 3, for ex. Combine that with re-signing Florence and Poz and adding a few more depth-type FA acquiaitions and I'd call that a good offseason, as we'd have upgraded at DL, LB, TE and the OL. That team, even with Fitz at QB (ie., assuming VY didn't work out), should be able to win 6-7 games next year, IMHO, and potentially more if things do work out with VY, Merriman and the draft picks. Kind of a less risky approach in some ways than drafting a QB with 3, as I strongly suspect we'll get VY on the cheap (4 year deal, about $5m per with $5 to $8m upfront as my estimate). JMHO....

I'm all for picking him up and giving him a chance. We def need another QB on this team if Fitz Gets hurt. Obviously Brohm sucks and needs to be shown the door. Not sure what the Draft holds for the Bills. I doubt anyone but Luck would be in their Top 3 going by best player available. And not sure if he'll declare or be drafted by Denver or Carolina. So yes to Young as long as he doesn't become a distraction to the team.

#1 - Though Wednesday's move gives the Titans little trade leverage, Young's contract will be tough to trade — and it's unlikely that he'd renegotiate in order to help the Titans get anything of value in exchange for his rights. In late November, Charley Casserly of CBS reported that Young is due to be paid a $4.25 million roster bonus on the 10th day of the 2011 league year, whenever the 2011 league year begins. As a result, Young undoubtedly will be cut before the payment comes due, and he'll become an unrestricted free agent.

ROTOWORLD: 7/27/2006: Signed a six-year, $58 million contract. The deal contains $25.74 million guaranteed, including a $2.64 million signing bonus, a $12.3 million option bonus in the second year, and a $4.25 million roster bonus in the fifth. 2011: $8.5 million (+ $4.25 million roster bonus due 3/10), 2012: Free Agent

#2 - A source says the vast majority of Titans players had grown frustrated with Young's repeated maturity issues, and he still hadn't progressed to the point where he could seamlessly call plays in the huddle, or commit himself to the work and preparation required of an NFL starting quarterback. Adams was made aware of how widespread the rest of the locker room felt hamstrung and held back by Young's lack of development.

MY COMMENT : sounds like Tony Dungy's next client. Dungy turned around Mike Vick and got Vick to do the playbook work neccessary to succeed. Vick has often mentioned he failed to fully reach his potential in Atlanta because of a lack of putting in the time to study film etc....i think the comparison to Vick is much more likely than a comparison to say Jamarcus Russel who got hooked on cough syrup. Vince Youngs problem is MATURITY....that can be corrected with a mentor like Tony Dungy. His difficulty with intelligence can be corrected with a commitment to TIME & HARD WORK. i think Vince Young will turn his life around and be a Top Ten QB in this league.

No team is going to trade for a guy when they KNOW the team will release him, so whatever team puts in a claim for him after he clears waivers. The team with the worst record will get first shot. At this point its Carolina-Denver-Buffalo. The Panthers will have a new HC, and Jimmy Clausen, if Luck declares they will ignore Young IMO. Denver has a new HC and Tim Tebow, and the fan base is rabid over Tebow so I don't see him ending up there. So should those two teams pass on Young he will be Buffalo's.

VY needs a HC-OC-QB coach who can teach him properly, the Titans have Jeff Fisher who was a defensive coordinator under Buddy Ryan. Stating that, I think Fisher is like a lot of other ex DC's that don't know how to run an offense, just like Jauron. If Chan Gailey can get Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tyler Thigpin to play great and above their ability, think what he could do with the talent Young has.

Taking a gamble on him might be a risk, but then the Bills still have Fitz in case the guy stays the same and refuses to mature under Gailey. At this point It might be wiser to go with Young and pass on Luck and his 50+ Million dollar salary

No team is going to trade for a guy when they KNOW the team will release him, so whatever team puts in a claim for him after he clears waivers. The team with the worst record will get first shot. At this point its Carolina-Denver-Buffalo. The Panthers will have a new HC, and Jimmy Clausen, if Luck declares they will ignore Young IMO. Denver has a new HC and Tim Tebow, and the fan base is rabid over Tebow so I don't see him ending up there. So should those two teams pass on Young he will be Buffalo's.

VY needs a HC-OC-QB coach who can teach him properly, the Titans have Jeff Fisher who was a defensive coordinator under Buddy Ryan. Stating that, I think Fisher is like a lot of other ex DC's that don't know how to run an offense, just like Jauron. If Chan Gailey can get Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tyler Thigpin to play great and above their ability, think what he could do with the talent Young has.

Taking a gamble on him might be a risk, but then the Bills still have Fitz in case the guy stays the same and refuses to mature under Gailey. At this point It might be wiser to go with Young and pass on Luck and his 50+ Million dollar salary

After he clears waivers he will be a FA. Before he clears waivers then teams with the worst record can claim him (at his current salary).

Best case scenario is that VY ends up in Miami and we get to play him twice a year.

Worst case scenario is that he ends up on the Bills and we have to watch him play all year.

Minny, AZ & miyami are probably the logical landing spots. Anywhere else? SF?

A couple of things:

1. The article everyone is qupting for how bad of a teammate is from one source who could be like fisher and not care for young.

2. Titans last 2 years with vince 11-7 without 1-13

3. Was having his best statistical year before not being allowed back in the game d/t a hand injury which started the whole issue.

4. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but if traded the team that picks him up is not liable for roster bonuses as those are from the team w the original contract.

5. How would people feel about trading the 4th we got for marshawn? Him for vy straight up would have been acceptable in my book how bout yours?

6. Picking him up removes the need to draft a qb, I believe chan likes mobile qbs (again correct me if I'm wrong) therefore allowing the team to focus on other needs

7. Don't discount his friendship w scaife as bringing in vy may help bring scaife in which would help our te problem

4. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but if traded the team that picks him up is not liable for roster bonuses as those are from the team w the original contract.

Consider yourself corrected. The team whose roster he is on would pay any roster bonuses due.

http://www.nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/40935472/sports/player_news

Edited by Captain Caveman

Best case scenario is that VY ends up in Miami and we get to play him twice a year.

Worst case scenario is that he ends up on the Bills and we have to watch him play all year.

Did you watch Young undress the Bills as a rookie in Buffalo, eliminating them from playoff contention?

Watch what you wish for, my friend. Despite his mental hangups, VY knows how to win and he has the record to show it.

Did you watch Young undress the Bills as a rookie in Buffalo, eliminating them from playoff contention?

Watch what you wish for, my friend. Despite his mental hangups, VY knows how to win and he has the record to show it.

Ah yet another cliche about someone who just wins...

From the AP article about VY being done posted in CNNSI:

"Young is 30-17 in his five NFL seasons, but only 13-14 against teams finishing a season at .500 or better. He's also battled questions over his work ethic, leadership and injuries. He suffered a season-ending thumb injury on his right hand Nov. 21, tossed his shoulder pads into the stands and told off coach Jeff Fisher in front of the locker room before storming out."

Titans last 2 years with vince 11-7 without 1-13

This.

You could have posted this thread back in 2008 with the name “Ryan Fitzpatrick” in the title and gotten the same responses.

The TRUTH of the matter is that VY is an incredibly talented athlete, was never wanted by Fisher, effectively ran out of town by Fisher, and starting to come on as a passer (his last two seasons of play were light years ahead of any other as a passer). He also adds the ability to run which slows down the pass rush (aka helping his OL- that would be nice here) and slows down the backside pursuit (a big reason why CJ got to 2000 yards). he has a lot more affect on the game than just his passing #s - see the ecord I quoted above.

Its pretty clear that this kid needs a fresh start in a new area with little pressure to exceed - see Michael vick please. That could easily be Buffalo. Look what Gailey did with Fitz, why couldn’t he do that with a better athlete? Fitz didn’t turn into some super-quick decision maker until after Gailey you know. Gailey could have the same influence on Young. Maybe he is just too dumb or not motivated enough, but even if he doesnt improve he is better than Brohm and Brown as backups – which makes him a player that makes this team better.

Someone please point out ANY risk in doing this as I am not seeing one.