Aaron Maybin comments

Billsguy

The Bills addressed one of their most pressing needs on defense taking Penn State pass rusher Aaron Maybin with their top pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

“It was a decision we were very happy with,” said Bills COO/GM Russ Brandon. “Aaron was someone we liked from the beginning of the process. It gives us an opportunity to have another pass rusher off the edge and he’s an explosive athlete. He’s a physical specimen and adding him to our mix makes us a lot better.”

Bills Vice President of College Scouting Tom Modrak admits that Maybin is young having just turned 21 earlier this month, but sees the Nittany Lion pass rusher as a player who is just scratching the surface.

“He’s good on both sides of the ball, right or left defensive end which is not always the case for players,” said Modrak. “His quick first step is equally good on both sides of the ball. And he can run. When he gets in the open field he can chase you down. He’s a speed rusher and can get up the field. He plays very, very hard all the time. Talking to their people there he has the same mentality in practice. The combination of those things made it good for us.”

Bills middle linebacker Paul Posluszny, who is very familiar with Maybin’s game, applauded the Bills’ selection.

“He’s a great pick for us and he’s going to do a great job for us,” Posluszny told Buffalobills.com. “I’m looking forward to having him on our team.”

“He’s got long arms and a nice reach and so he’s got that quick first step,” said Bills head coach Dick Jauron. “If he gets near the quarterback, and we think he’s got the ability to edge and turn toward the quarterback and reach and get to the ball and we like that. You saw him functionally use those gifts both in the run and the pass game.”

Maybin played at just 234 pounds for Penn State but bulked up this spring. He also was only a one-year starter.

"We were all very comfortable with the production he did have," Brandon said.

Brandon, Modrak, Posluszny and Jauron. Where are they now?

It seems only Jauron paid the price. (and Bills fans everywhere)

You can't go by that if you are inferring everyone was on board the Maybin pick. Of course they are all going to paint a happy face. What did you expect? Brandon etc. saying what a crappy pick Maybin was before they even signed him? It's PR. It's not the Ten Commandments carved in stone.

PTR

Maybin played at just 234 pounds for Penn State but bulked up this spring. He also was only a one-year starter.

This is a reason why I am not crazy about one-year wonders. I remember back in the 90's that the scouts looked very favorably on guys who had performed consistently well through their whole college career, because there was more of a track-record. Plus - the guy was only 234 lbs? WTF?

:wallbash:

I remember seeing a scout a few days after the 2009 draft.

He told me then Byrd would have the biggest immediate impact for the Bills. Boy was he right. He hesitated on saying Byrd was a great pick.

When i asked about Woods and Levitre he liked both. Said Levitre probably would have been there a little later. But did not criticise the pick.Said both should be solid players.

The only pick he really seemed to think was a big reach was Maybin. While he agreed with everything as far as speed went. He fet as if he would not be able to utilize that alone at the Pro Level. And questioned whether he could learn other techniques due to his size.

I have also spkoe to some guys i know that work on a dtd basis with the players. And Maybin is not the most savy football player. They did not say he was dumb, but that it is hard for him to learn new things.- Sounds like a nice way of saying slowing to me.

Anyways Maybin and Hardy are two busts from the most recent years. If this team is going to build a strong foundation, they can not miss in the first 4 rounds.

He told me then Byrd would have the biggest immediate impact for the Bills. Boy was he right. He hesitated on saying Byrd was a great pick.

When i asked about Woods and Levitre he liked both. Said Levitre probably would have been there a little later. But did not criticise the pick.Said both should be solid players.

The only pick he really seemed to think was a big reach was Maybin. While he agreed with everything as far as speed went. He fet as if he would not be able to utilize that alone at the Pro Level. And questioned whether he could learn other techniques due to his size.

I have also spkoe to some guys i know that work on a dtd basis with the players. And Maybin is not the most savy football player. They did not say he was dumb, but that it is hard for him to learn new things.- Sounds like a nice way of saying slowing to me.

Anyways Maybin and Hardy are two busts from the most recent years. If this team is going to build a strong foundation, they can not miss in the first 4 rounds.

So true. Look at the Patriots players and how many of them are former 1st or 2nd round picks. They typically DON'T mess up with their top picks. Additionally, they have a knack for finding guys in later rounds who are players. Sort of like what the Bills used to do during the Polian-Butler years.

Good stuff here.

No matter how good Maybin looked, I think everyone had to agree that there was some risk with that pick; after all, he only played one season and was on the smallish side.

When you're a bad team, like the Bills, you don't have the luxury of making risky picks. The number 1 criterion for the Bills should have been then and should be now in making these early picks--getting the best, but most risk-free, player. This means looking for 3 or 4-year starters at positions where the bust factor is low (e.g., center, d-line, corner).

So true. Look at the Patriots players and how many of them are former 1st or 2nd round picks. They typically DON'T mess up with their top picks. Additionally, they have a knack for finding guys in later rounds who are players. Sort of like what the Bills used to do during the Polian-Butler years.

Yep,... go back to our Super Bowl years and just count the round 1-2 picks that made the team great

Round 1: Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Cornelius Bennett, Jim Richter, Henry Jones, Will Wolford, Shane Conlon, Thomas Smith, John Fina, James Williams

Round 2: Thurman Thomas, Phil Hansen, Nate Odomes

Now you just need a small number of later round hits to be great... Andre Reed, Steve Tasker, Darryl Talley

We're trying to flip the script entirely and tout how some of these later round guys are turning into such great finds while missing on nearly every top pick. The real reason we're so bad is Mike Williams, Losman, McCargo, Maybin, Hardy, McGahee, Lynch, Whitner (about to leave)... don't depress me by adding more names. There's practically a starting line-up of first/second round busts

Edited by cage

:thumbsup:

The Bills addressed one of their most pressing needs on defense taking Penn State pass rusher Aaron Maybin with their top pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

“It was a decision we were very happy with,” said Bills COO/GM Russ Brandon. “Aaron was someone we liked from the beginning of the process. It gives us an opportunity to have another pass rusher off the edge and he’s an explosive athlete. He’s a physical specimen and adding him to our mix makes us a lot better.”

Bills Vice President of College Scouting Tom Modrak admits that Maybin is young having just turned 21 earlier this month, but sees the Nittany Lion pass rusher as a player who is just scratching the surface.

“He’s good on both sides of the ball, right or left defensive end which is not always the case for players,” said Modrak. “His quick first step is equally good on both sides of the ball. And he can run. When he gets in the open field he can chase you down. He’s a speed rusher and can get up the field. He plays very, very hard all the time. Talking to their people there he has the same mentality in practice. The combination of those things made it good for us.”

Bills middle linebacker Paul Posluszny, who is very familiar with Maybin’s game, applauded the Bills’ selection.

“He’s a great pick for us and he’s going to do a great job for us,” Posluszny told Buffalobills.com. “I’m looking forward to having him on our team.”

“He’s got long arms and a nice reach and so he’s got that quick first step,” said Bills head coach Dick Jauron. “If he gets near the quarterback, and we think he’s got the ability to edge and turn toward the quarterback and reach and get to the ball and we like that. You saw him functionally use those gifts both in the run and the pass game.”

Brandon, Modrak, Posluszny and Jauron. Where are they now?

It seems only Jauron paid the price. (and Bills fans everywhere)

And how many people on this site said the same type of things when he was drafted. Come on, Hind sight is 20/20. If you linked to the first blog on draft day 2009 and all the people here were against the pick I could see your point that we had the"right" to complain about their oppinions but I dont think we (I) have that right.

That said on Jan 1st 2011 I have to say that it was a bad pick as im sure you would get that from all the people that you quoted.

Also BillsGuy, I looked at your forums on Maybin in 2009 just before and after the draft and you hit it right on the head then. For that I give you thumbs up. Awesome job and you earn the right to critisize this pick! :thumbsup:

Edited by fansince88

Yep,... go back to our Super Bowl years and just count the round 1-2 picks that made the team great

Round 1: Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Cornelius Bennett, Jim Richter, Henry Jones, Will Wolford, Shane Conlon, Thomas Smith, John Fina, James Williams

Round 2: Thurman Thomas, Phil Hansen, Nate Odomes

Now you just need a small number of later round hits to be great... Andre Reed, Steve Tasker, Darryl Talley

We're trying to flip the script entirely and tout how some of these later round guys are turning into such great finds while missing on nearly every top pick. The real reason we're so bad is Mike Williams, Losman, McCargo, Maybin, Hardy, McGahee, Lynch, Whitner (about to leave)... don't depress me by adding more names. There's practically a starting line-up of first/second round busts

Talley was also a 2nd round pick. Tasker was waiver pick up. Still your point is correct. Horrific drafting in the first round (and even rounds 2 and 3 for that matter) have kept the team down.

I sure hope we don't add McKelvin to that ponderous list ...

Talley was also a 2nd round pick. Tasker was waiver pick up. Still your point is correct. Horrific drafting in the first round (and even rounds 2 and 3 for that matter) have kept the team down.

Tasker was a 4th rounder...

It's obvious that they were all lying and the only one that was really behind the pick at all was Dick Jauron who had his own surreptitious draft board. A sea of fans wearing fellow Nittany Lion Posluszny jerseys probably escaped all notice as well. :ph34r:

Dicky j and his love for all thing undersized and fast / hopefully with one more off season we can't put all of his damage in the rearview mirror .

Mckelvin at least show flashed of ability , hopefully he can take his skill set and turn in more consistant profomances. I just don't know what th think about Maybin, looks like a total disaster.

Another thing about Maybin seems to me with two full years of weight traing ect. he could have put on 10-15 lbs . I just don't get it he looks a slim as ever. Not saying that is the only problem but at least the bulk and strength would give him an add deminsion

but what the heck do i know