Police: Traveler won't shut off iPhone, gets socked

EC-Bills

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget it they're rolling.

Why are you and your ilk throwing that phrase back in Dean's and my face?... Now you have Chef cheaply piling on (not that is a bad thing, he does pile on with some pretty awesome stuff!). It was YOU that was rolling and I that first came up with it... But of course you know that. Can't you think of anything better? What is this a new tactic on TBD/TSW since I was gone for a bit? New take on the old "I'm rubber, you are glue" tactic? Here you were explaining to us poor saps the rule of law while dismissing assault as going "overboard"... Yeah, a bit overboard aye... :rolleyes:

Anyway.. Nice find Chef... They have been playing Rawhide on TV more theses days along with the Untouchables...I have been catching those classics on the tube late at night recently!

The real bottom line about the thread topic is that this rule in question is one of those rules that doesn't have to be 100% enforceable... Except by dolts who think it does (like the old guy on the plane). Pick and choose your battles, especially when it resolves around a very serious charge of assualt. I bet even the airlines will tell you that the rule is not 100% enforceable (when speaking candidly). The point of the rule is to curb bad, inattentive behavior from snowballing among the masses while being rolled up in the guise of "safety."

It isn't a perfect world... Yet an assualt charge when compared to what the kid was doing is like comparing a royal flush to two-of--kind in the game of poker. It seems to me that the other's in this argument have that backwards. Assualting a fella does nothing to curb the bad behavior. In fact, it make it worse.

Everybody... Have a Happy New Year! I guess I am "rolling" at least in the most logical direction. :blush:

:D

This thread needs a little..........

YOU got it Chef!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I thought car bombs are sometimes triggered by cell phones. That shouldn't enter into whether the Feds allow people to use their electronic devices during takeoff and landing - should it?

Not sayin' the kid was a terrorist - except to his parents and teachers in all likelihood.

Part of why all devices are supposed to be turned off is that there's good method of determining if the phone is in Airplane mode. I don't understand what the big deal is about turning off the dang phone.

Angry Birds, my friend. Angry birds.

Im not oblivious to it, but I also dont understand what problem listening to the ipod would cause? Please elaborate.

Do you mean if the plane starts to crash, he wont be able to tell? Or in the off chance they have to make an emergency landing (let's say the landing gear wont go down), he'll need to hear something?

I just dont understand the specific situations that they are trying to protect against. Hopefully you can help out.

I make about 5-10 round trip flights a year (10-20 total, not including connections), and while Im well aware of the rule, and am fairly familiar with flying/aviation, I dont see what the big deal is. Other than the airline being afraid that if there is no rule, then NO ONE will be paying attention.

Dont be a smartass. Virtually NOBODY on that US Air flight had a CLUE what was really going to happen until Sully yelled "brace for impact" into the Airbus' PA system.

"Rules are mostly made to be broken and are too often for the lazy to hide behind"

Maybe we should have listened to Douglas MacArthur, we would NOT be in such a mess that we are today.

Could you have maybe quoted somebody...competent? Or honest?

I mean, really, Dugout Doug may not have been lazy, but he took bribes from the Phillippine government and killed GIs with his "rule breaking".

The real bottom line about the thread topic is that this rule in question is one of those rules that doesn't have to be 100% enforceable... Except by dolts who think it does (like the old guy on the plane).

You dirty SOB, you called me an old dolt! :lol:

BTW...who decides what rules should be 100% enforceable and which ones we can overlook if we want to? How can I get in on the decision making process?

This remind anyone of the bike riding discussion? I don't have to obey the traffic laws but you car drivers do. Who decides these things?

You dirty SOB, you called me an old dolt! :lol:

BTW...who decides what rules should be 100% enforceable and which ones we can overlook if we want to? How can I get in on the decision making process?

This remind anyone of the bike riding discussion? I don't have to obey the traffic laws but you car drivers do. Who decides these things?

PPP does.

And the last cyclist I saw not obeying traffic laws got an "accidental" elbow in the face. He deserved it...!@#$ almost caused an accident running a red light, THEN almost ran into two women in a crosswalk.

Of course it does but I didn't want to go there. But because you brought it up... I was stopped at a red light last night and some idiot on a bike swung out around me to run the red light and was almost taken out by someone coming towards us who had the green left turn arrow. Oh and it was dark so the person turning left probably didn't see them. Guess who I was rooting for?