Police: Traveler won't shut off iPhone, gets socked

EC-Bills

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the article:

Bull crap. In this case I bet it solved several things one of which was teaching the teenage putz to follow directions.

Another being any indecision Russell Miller might have had about his plans that night.

Meh, old guy doesnt understand technology or that there is an "Airplane" mode setting on the iPhone (and on most smartphones) which disables all wireless and cell communication.

Not sure what got the old guy so upset. Listening to the ipod isnt going to crash the plane.

Meh, old guy doesnt understand technology or that there is an "Airplane" mode setting on the iPhone (and on most smartphones) which disables all wireless and cell communication.

Not sure what got the old guy so upset. Listening to the ipod isnt going to crash the plane.

Take off and landing is the most critical and dangerous times when flying. You are asked to turn off any portable electonic devices not to disrupt the flight or communications but so the damn thing won't go flying around during landing and takeoff but most importantly so the putz it paying attention to any announcements made. But I'm not surprised a young person is oblivious to this.

Take off and landing is the most critical and dangerous times when flying. You are asked to turn off any portable electonic devices not to disrupt the flight or communications but so the damn thing won't go flying around during landing and takeoff but most importantly so the putz it paying attention to any announcements made. But I'm not surprised a young person is oblivious to this.

Im not oblivious to it, but I also dont understand what problem listening to the ipod would cause? Please elaborate.

Do you mean if the plane starts to crash, he wont be able to tell? Or in the off chance they have to make an emergency landing (let's say the landing gear wont go down), he'll need to hear something?

I just dont understand the specific situations that they are trying to protect against. Hopefully you can help out.

I make about 5-10 round trip flights a year (10-20 total, not including connections), and while Im well aware of the rule, and am fairly familiar with flying/aviation, I dont see what the big deal is. Other than the airline being afraid that if there is no rule, then NO ONE will be paying attention.

Im not oblivious to it, but I also dont understand what problem listening to the ipod would cause? Please elaborate.

Do you mean if the plane starts to crash, he wont be able to tell? Or in the off chance they have to make an emergency landing (let's say the landing gear wont go down), he'll need to hear something?

I just dont understand the specific situations that they are trying to protect against. Hopefully you can help out.

I make about 5-10 round trip flights a year (10-20 total, not including connections), and while Im well aware of the rule, and am fairly familiar with flying/aviation, I dont see what the big deal is. Other than the airline being afraid that if there is no rule, then NO ONE will be paying attention.

All I have to say is you better not be the !@#$ing idiot that gets in my way when I'm trying to get out of a burning plane because you were too interested in that five extra minutes of music on your ipod and you missed the instructions on what to do during an emergency. You strike me as a person that never outgrew that 15 year old mentality of questioning every rule. "But whyyyy do I hafta do that??" Do you stomp your feet too?

All I have to say is you better not be the !@#$ing idiot that gets in my way when I'm trying to get out of a burning plane because you were too interested in that five extra minutes of music on your ipod and you missed the instructions on what to do during an emergency. You strike me as a person that never outgrew that 15 year old mentality of questioning every rule. "But whyyyy do I hafta do that??" Do you stomp your feet too?

:lol:

Holy hyperbole, chefman.

What, pray tell, are these instructions that are the difference between knowing how to exit a burning plane and suddenly going retarded because you were listening to an iPod?

because you were too interested in that five extra minutes of music on your ipod and you missed the instructions on what to do during an emergency.

There has to be something more to it than just that.

I fly a lot and it seems to me with all the books, magazines and sleeping very few are ever paying attention to any of those emergency instructions.

:lol:

Holy hyperbole, chefman.

What, pray tell, are these instructions that are the difference between knowing how to exit a burning plane and suddenly going retarded because you were listening to an iPod?

Have you ever been in a plane that has had a major emergency? I have and if someone had on their ipod and and no clue what was going on I would not want to get stuck behind that person who didn't know what to do.

But my main point is that you're on their plane and they're responsible for your safety. It's not all about you it also about the hundred or so other people on the plane. If they ask you to turn off your ipod you turn the !@#$ing thing off.

Please describe the events that lead to us on burning plane where either 1. We didnt die on impact, or 2. I dont notice the burning plane and cant stand up from my seat and walk to the emergency exit.

You make it sound like being a passenger is more complicated than sitting in one spot for a period of time, and then getting up and exiting through one of the very few doorways. :rolleyes:

Also, yes, I still question "Why?" to a lot of things. Not just rules, but all sorts of things. It was one of the best things my Chemistry professors taught me when I was in college. Always be asking Why? or How? in a quest for further understanding. Question EVERYTHING, gather your own facts, and then make your own judgment. Hence, me asking you for examples.

Regardless of whether I decide to comply with the rule or not, what kind of sheep are you, that you just do exactly as you are told with every order given?

Have you ever been in a plane that has had a major emergency? I have and if someone had on their ipod and and no clue what was going on I would not want to get stuck behind that person who didn't know what to do.

What have they asked you to do in these emergency situations that was so complicated? Did you have to fly the plane? Did they ask you to go out and form a wing? Did they ask you to fix some wiring?

Seems to me like there are only a couple options for the passengers. Get up in an orderly fashion and make your way to the exit, or stay and die. I doubt anyone is going to screw up that choice, even if they had their headphones in.

No I haven't. The closest I've come is our plane touching down (I assume in the wrong spot) and then immediately taking off again. Since you have, my question remains:

What were the critical instructions that you would have been lost without? I'm honestly curious what they told you.

But my main point is that you're on their plane and they're responsible for your safety. It's not all about you it also about the hundred or so other people on the plane. If they ask you to turn off your ipod you turn the !@#$ing thing off.

Oh okay...because your main point seemed to be that missing the landing instructions was somehow going to create a disaster. Maybe the kid was a dick. Who knows. But I subscribe more to "mind your own business" when we are talking about such astronomical "what ifs."

I mean, you actually said that you shouldn't listen to your iPod because it might "go flying around during landing and takeoff." Seriously? When you say things like that.... :lol:

But I kind of butted into your discussion with Doc so...

Please describe the events that lead to us on burning plane where either 1. We didnt die on impact, or 2. I dont notice the burning plane and cant stand up from my seat and walk to the emergency exit.

You make it sound like being a passenger is more complicated than sitting in one spot for a period of time, and then getting up and exiting through one of the very few doorways. :rolleyes:

Also, yes, I still question "Why?" to a lot of things. Not just rules, but all sorts of things. It was one of the best things my Chemistry professors taught me when I was in college. Always be asking Why? or How? in a quest for further understanding. Question EVERYTHING, gather your own facts, and then make your own judgment. Hence, me asking you for examples.

Regardless of whether I decide to comply with the rule or not, what kind of sheep are you, that you just do exactly as you are told with every order given?

What have they asked you to do in these emergency situations that was so complicated? Did you have to fly the plane? Did they ask you to go out and form a wing? Did they ask you to fix some wiring?

Seems to me like there are only a couple options for the passengers. Get up in an orderly fashion and make your way to the exit, or stay and die. I doubt anyone is going to screw up that choice, even if they had their headphones in.

I've had a rear engine of a DC-10 blow up on me during take off. If you could not hear the announcements you would of had no idea what happened or that anything even happened at all. The whole time we were circling dumping fuel they were giving us instruction on what to do during landing and after we landed. So it's not just as simple as leave the plane in an orderly fashion.

Question authority? Me a sheep? Dude they're just asking you to take the damn ear buds out and pay attention. I question a lot of things but typically things that are important to me not something as silly as this.

You could be right about not crashing the jet, but on takeoff and landing everything is to be turned off. I'm not an expert on such matters so I listen to the flight attendants.

If I was that kid I would have punched the **** out of that old !@#$er.

This is why I decided against sending you a Christmas gift.

You could be right about not crashing the jet, but on takeoff and landing everything is to be turned off. I'm not an expert on such matters so I listen to the flight attendants.

This is why I decided against sending you a Christmas gift.

Yeah right, you're just cheap. I would shiv the mofo.

There isn't any practical way to know what setting(s) the person had his cell phone on, nor should it be incumbent upon the aircraft personnel to have to try to find out. Is it such a hardship to turn off your farking device for a few minutes and NOT be entertained while the aircraft is landing in the interest of safety? Jeezus H Krist. Little "Rules Don't Apply To Me" focker. Let's call this one like it is, an inconsiderate, self-centered little shitehead.

You're not allowed to go around punching the people you don't agree with. What don't you guys understand about that? I'm sure the kid is a bit of an !@#$, but it's not this old guy's job to get him to shut off his electronics or hand out punishment for non-compliance.

Such a wonderful precious child. We're raising him to do whatever he wants, to foster his natural sense of whimsy. He likes to stare at the sun and cross the street without looking. We bought him a brand new iPhone you know. Ah yes, he's our sweet little miracle.

I'd love for him to ignore the next "Bridge Out" sign he sees and keep on driving his little "I'll Do Whatever I Wanna Do", inconsiderate, self-centered bungholio right off a cliff. He can listen to his iPod all the way to the scene of the crash.

You're not allowed to go around punching the people you don't agree with. What don't you guys understand about that? I'm sure the kid is a bit of an !@#$, but it's not this old guy's job to get him to shut off his electronics or hand out punishment for non-compliance.

Nation of wusses. Always somebody else's job.

Edited by DrFishfinder

Sorry but old farts have earned that right. :devil:

BTW am I the only one that thinks there are just way to many doctors in this thread?

Oh I'm sorry, I guess we should all roll around doling out "street justice" to ensure that nobody thinks we're weak. You guys are hilarious. Just be careful who you go around hitting, some hit back.

No, we shouldn't go around hitting everybody for everything. But neither should we expect someone else to do something when no one else will. If we did that, we'd still be British.

No, we shouldn't go around hitting everybody for everything. But neither should we expect someone else to do something when no one else will. If we did that, we'd still be British.

You know there are people on airplanes that are perfectly able, mostly willing, and trained to handle situations like this. They're called flight attendants. The plane isn't going to crash because some slacker teen leaves his Ipod on. Talk about nation of wusses.

You know there are people on airplanes that are perfectly able, mostly willing, and trained to handle situations like this. They're called flight attendants. The plane isn't going to crash because some slacker teen leaves his Ipod on. Talk about nation of wusses.

And you know this, how? There is a reason that electronic devices are supposed to be turned off on takeoffs and landings. You canNOT be that ignorant. And if the flight attendants didn't address the situation, we're supposed to just say, "Oh well....not my business?"

Edited by DrFishfinder

Oh I'm sorry, I guess we should all roll around doling out "street justice" to ensure that nobody thinks we're weak. You guys are hilarious. Just be careful who you go around hitting, some hit back.

It's not about hitting. It's more about pointing out when someone is doing something wrong. We've become afraid of each other. I've picked litter up that people have thrown on the ground, chased them down and handed it to them and told them they dropped something. I got off a train in SF one night and a drunk guy threw a banana peel at the train. I said "what are you, a !@#$ing monkey?" The people looked at me like I was crazy. The wife and I were coming home Christmas night and a couple of homeless guys wished us Merry Christmas. I said "it would be a hell of a lot merrier if you'd cleaned up your !@#$ing mess." I may go down one day but at least I'm not a chicken ****.

It's not about hitting. It's more about pointing out when someone is doing something wrong. We've become afraid of each other. I've picked litter up that people have thrown on the ground, chased them down and handed it to them and told them they dropped something. I got off a train in SF one night and a drunk guy threw a banana peel at the train. I said "what are you, a !@#$ing monkey?" The people looked at me like I was crazy. The wife and I were coming home Christmas night and a couple of homeless guys wished us Merry Christmas. I said "it would be a hell of a lot merrier if you'd cleaned up your !@#$ing mess." I may go down one day but at least I'm not a chicken ****.

You rock, Chef! thumbsup.gif

The wife and I were coming home Christmas night and a couple of homeless guys wished us Merry Christmas. I said "it would be a hell of a lot merrier if you'd cleaned up your !@#$ing mess." I may go down one day but at least I'm not a chicken ****.

I was 100% with you until here.

:blink: What? I assume I'm missing something.

You've left Badass Good Samaritanville and headed straight into Unnecessary A-Hole Land. Which is where I suspect the guy who punched the kid on the plane lives.

I am totally with you on this. You might want to relax the cursing at people you don't know, some people take real exception to it, but stuff like this is great. But this guy didn't do that. He took it upon himself to hit someone for his perception of their disobedience of the guidelines. I'm not for throwing the guy in jail or for this kid winning the inevitable lawsuit, but you simply can't condone people going around hitting strangers for no reason.

I was 100% with you until here.

:blink: What? I assume I'm missing something.

You've left Badass Good Samaritanville and headed straight into Unnecessary A-Hole Land. Which is where I suspect the guy who punched the kid on the plane lives.

Ok you don't see what the homeless people have done to our neighborhood. They pitch tents on the sidwalk and piss and **** and throw all their junk all over the place. Me asking them to clean up their **** is unnecessary? Sorry man but you have no idea what they do here and how they totally !@#$ up a beautiful city.