I want Cam Newton

buffalo_bills

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Athlete but can he drop back and read an NFL defense?

I just see a great college player, not sure about him as a pro Quarterback

That's exactly why I wouldn't want to spend our first pick and billions of dollars on the kid.

Newton is a great athlete and an exciting player to watch, and he has potential to be a good QB in the NFL. But I would not have him start right away, I would want him to sit on the bench for 2 years and learn the system.

Personally I would rather have Andrew Luck, as I see him being more "NFL ready", plus I think he has the potential to be a star.

When reality sets in, I think it would be imperative for the Bills to go heavy on defense this upcioming draft. If Gailey wants to still run a 3-4 defense, then he needs to get better players for it.

I like Fitzpatrick, yet I do not see him being "The Man" for the next 7 years. It would'nt be a bad move by the Bills if they grabbed a QB in this draft who they think would be the future.

Still, the defense has got to be addressed, and that is probably what will happen.

Newton is a great athlete and an exciting player to watch, and he has potential to be a good QB in the NFL. But I would not have him start right away, I would want him to sit on the bench for 2 years and learn the system.

Personally I would rather have Andrew Luck, as I see him being more "NFL ready", plus I think he has the potential to be a star.

When reality sets in, I think it would be imperative for the Bills to go heavy on defense this upcioming draft. If Gailey wants to still run a 3-4 defense, then he needs to get better players for it.

I like Fitzpatrick, yet I do not see him being "The Man" for the next 7 years. It would'nt be a bad move by the Bills if they grabbed a QB in this draft who they think would be the future.

Still, the defense has got to be addressed, and that is probably what will happen.

This defense is so bad that this entire draft should be on defensive players. Next year can be entirely offensive players.

Great Athlete but can he drop back and read an NFL defense?

I just see a great college player, not sure about him as a pro Quarterback

No college Qb can yet read an NFL defense.

Newton won't be available in the 2nd round unless he completely bombs in the BCS game.

No college Qb can yet read an NFL defense.

Newton won't be available in the 2nd round unless he completely bombs in the BCS game.

Even then, I don't see him dropping that much. His stock is extremely high right now and a bad game vs Oregon won't hurt it that much.

I had/have a lot of reservations about him. Not athletically by any means, but mentally. The key to QB is his mental ability. Im not sure if Newton has the mental capacity for the NFL after playing only 1 season of big time ball. I will leave it to the coaches and GMs who have their personal meetings with the kid to figure out if he has the intelligence or not.

But, on my drive to work this morning, Gene Chizick was on EPSN and came right out and said he is extremely intelligent and understands defenses advanced coverage’s and protections etc. I put a lot of stock in college coaches every year, and if he says Newton has it mentally, then I think he does. I am now much more open to the idea of drafting him after hearing his coach talk about his intelligence and competitive drive.

Count me as one who's completely against this. He's a thug & a thief. To me, he's just another Jamarcus Russell/Vince Young. Braun, talent, witless.

Geneology? His father is a pimp..

I probably wouldn't go so far as to say he's a thug & a thief, but I agree. After the pay-for-play stuff, I don't trust that he won't get himself into some sort of trouble.

I had/have a lot of reservations about him. Not athletically by any means, but mentally. The key to QB is his mental ability. Im not sure if Newton has the mental capacity for the NFL after playing only 1 season of big time ball. I will leave it to the coaches and GMs who have their personal meetings with the kid to figure out if he has the intelligence or not.

But, on my drive to work this morning, Gene Chizick was on EPSN and came right out and said he is extremely intelligent and understands defenses advanced coverage’s and protections etc. I put a lot of stock in college coaches every year, and if he says Newton has it mentally, then I think he does. I am now much more open to the idea of drafting him after hearing his coach talk about his intelligence and competitive drive.

Maybe he's right, but of course Chizik is going to say that.

Cam Newton = Combination of Vince Young/Jamarcus Russell/Dante Cullpepper who will more then likely hold out and not fit into the Buffalo culture or climate (ie McGahee).

We should either trade up to get Luck or draft the best DL, LB or OT.

Basically what you are saying is, he is like all black QB's that weren't successful. What is the Buffalo culture you are implying???

If you heard him speak you would realize he and McGahee are two totally different people.

If you have seen this guy play you wouldn't hesitate to pick him. I think Chan Gailey would develop the hell out of him. This guy has the smarts to play the pro game and will make a huge impact. Nothing against Luck but Newton was the better guy this year.

I would not trade up to get any pick. If anything I would trade down to get more picks. If available Newton, Luck or Bowers would be my choices. We should be able to land one of them.

Count me as one who's completely against this. He's a thug & a thief. To me, he's just another Jamarcus Russell/Vince Young. Braun, talent, witless.

Geneology? His father is a pimp..

There is no bigger pimp than the NCAA.

Take off the racial blinders.

Note to all of the "We need defensive help and nothing else! Front 7! Linebackers! Our offense is great, defense defense defense!" crowd:

The Buffalo Bills rank #24 in total defense.

The Buffalo Bills rank #24 in total offense.

They are terrible on both sides of the ball, and equally so.

Quarterback is the most important position on any sports team in any league in the world.

It's worth trying to find an elite one. Probably won't pan out, but boy is it ever the only way to compete for championships for a decade.

Dare to dream of the day when the Bills have a top-5 quarterback and the rest of the country remembers that we actually have a team.

This kid is gonna be special. I've watched about 5 Auburn games, and this kid can run, and throw, and hes a winner. All this off-field issues are being blown out of proportion. Some of you may/may not want him, but im a big fan. Thoughts?

College players with off-field issues are complete gambles. Some work out but many don't. Using a high 1st round pick on a gamble isn't worth it. When you draft a high 1st rounder you try to be risk averse and not roll the dice that a player will suddenly grow up. Many of the top picks who were busts had maturity issues that ruined them in the NFL. I don't know enough about Newton, but if the Bills are considering drafting him they better do a background check that includes multiple conversations with the guy.

A classic example is the year Manning & Leaf went 1-2. Leaf may have looked good on the field, but he was a head case. If San Diego had done their due diligence, they never would have drafted him. They let his on field play rule the day.

After seening that kid from Minnesota last night, a QB drafted to be a receiver play....I am beginning to think that pro QB's are where you find them...the Vikes did not know about this kid, and he turns out to be a player/QB. I would not be surprised to see this kid start at QB next year for the Vikes. So, there is always the Bradford example...but, there is the JaMarcus Russel example. Personally, I want a killer DE in the first round.

Newton is a better athlete ,and has a much stronger arm then tebow so he is going very high. I would not be shocked if he is the pick.

Not sure how I feel about personally. I really want to fix the defensive front 7 can't stand another year of the team getting run over.

My guess is if the Bills win this weekend he will be gone before they draft.