Alice Cooper Band

Neil Diamond

Dr. John

Darlene Love

Jac Holzman

Tom Waits

Art Rupe

Leon Russell

What do you think of the inductees and what do you think of the people or bands that didn't?

The board must have been smoking some good Columbian when they put this list together..

They also left off the J Geils Band. I'm ok with Diamond, James, et al, from an historical perspective - (Robert Johnson, Louis Armstrong, and Elmore James are in for Early Influence) and there are some acts in there that only border on R&R. But R&R isn't always black and white. Certainly some of the jam bands (moe, Phish, Cornmeal, etc.) play some R&R - should any of them be excluded from the R&R HoF? Louis Armstrong is in - should Chick Corea or Stanley Clarke be excluded? Should there be a separate HoF for rap?

Besides J Geils, some others, IMO, that deserve inclusion are Deep Purple, Donovan, Stevie Ray Vaughan, B-52s, Rush, Todd Rundgren, Moody Blues and Joe Cocker. At least based upon the merits of some existing members.

This year they left off Bon Jovi, Kiss and the Beastie Boys. Personally don't care for any of them. But I'd take any of them before I'd take Neil Diamond. Wrote good pop hits but rock and roll? Give me a break. Although you got to admit at the stadium everybody sings along to Sweet Caroline. I thought Cooper, Waits and Dr. John deserved to get in. Leon Russell was questionable. The others? Not so much. Who the hell is Art Rupe? I agree that a lot of people that are in probably shouldn't be there. But if you've ever seen Etta James perform when she was in her prime, she could put a lot of these white boys to shame.

Edited by Mr Info

You need to study the history of Rock and Roll. Not including some of thos early pioneers is like not including the fork into the Culinary Hall of Fame. BTW what is a Rock station today anyway. My favorite exchange from The Last Waltz:

Hey Scorsese.....:wallbash:

The Neil Diamond song from The Last Waltz, arguably and thought of by a lot of critics to be the best concert film ever made, was actually pretty good. And definitely a rock song. His 60s stuff was a lot of protest type songs. I have no use for Neil Diamond the balladeer, but the early rock stuff was pretty decent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM-MBECuBoc

The entire thing has been a joke since they decided to put the HOF in Cleveland, over Memphis. Without Memphis, the blues on Beale, Sun Studios, Stax, and of course the King; rock and roll as we all know it does not exist today. They decided then that the whole thing was about money, not about rock and roll.

But, what they missed was the half a million people/year that visit Graceland that could have easily added the HOF to their list of sites to see. Poor decision making back then, followed by poor decision making in regards to, not only, who should be inducted by how they're inducted. The whole thing is a mess and stands in complete opposition to what rock and roll is and was. Reading up on the induction process is all you have to do to see how bad it is.

The entire thing has been a joke since they decided to put the HOF in Cleveland, over Memphis. Without Memphis, the blues on Beale, Sun Studios, Stax, and of course the King; rock and roll as we all know it does not exist today. They decided then that the whole thing was about money, not about rock and roll.

But, what they missed was the half a million people/year that visit Graceland that could have easily added the HOF to their list of sites to see. Poor decision making back then, followed by poor decision making in regards to, not only, who should be inducted by how they're inducted. The whole thing is a mess and stands in complete opposition to what rock and roll is and was. Reading up on the induction process is all you have to do to see how bad it is.

Oh no I think it's right in line with Rock and Roll. Rock and Roll has always been a chaotic mess. That's what I love about it.

They need to remove "Rock and Roll" from their name, but it makes it seem more hip and less like a museum.

This is NOT for strictly one small genre of guitar based music.

They'd be better off changing the name to "Popular Music Hall of Fame", but going with "Pop" in your title cheapens it and removes the cred that "Rock and Roll" brings.

Stupid, I know.

Also, glad to see Tom Waits's name on there. Always happy to see him get recognition.

The other issue I have is the induction ceremony itself is held in NYC. Have no idea why, just seems bizarre. Every other Hall Of Fame I know of has their induction ceremony at their Hall, not several hundred miles away.

The other issue I have is the induction ceremony itself is held in NYC. Have no idea why, just seems bizarre. Every other Hall Of Fame I know of has their induction ceremony at their Hall, not several hundred miles away.

Who would want to go to Cleveland?

Or the 2nd version: here

Anyway, there have been some really interesting posts in here. I consider myself a fan of music, of course I have my preferences, but I always look forward to a chance to look at the art in a different way.