Blaine Gabbert?

Damian

I'm not trying to be a dick, but what is the point of posts like this? All the OP was asking for was input on Gabbert.

To answer the OP, I've only seen Gabbert play a few times, but really was not particularly impressed by him.

My point is hot shot QB prospects are a dime a dozen. First Luck, then Locker, then Mallet, now this kid. Its the same song every year.

Anyone who thinks we need a QB at #1...an underclassman to boot...is high on something. We need D.

PTR

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tidbit from end of a D&C article on the Bills:

ESPN Scouts Inc.'s top-10 picks for the 2011 NFL college draft (in order): Stanford QB Andrew Luck; Clemson DE Da'Quan Bowers; Auburn DT Nick Fairley; LSU CB Patrick Peterson; Georgia WR A.J. Green; Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert; North Carolina DE Robert Quinn; Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara; Alabama DT Marcus Dareus; Iowa DE Adrian Clayburn; Oregon State DT Stephen Paea. Washington QB Jake Locker is 23rd, Auburn QB Cam Newton 29th and Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett 31st.

Since Luck will either not be in this draft or be gone long before we pick, the one we have a shot at is the number 2 rated QB (per ESPN) is Blaine Gabbert of Missouri. I have not heard much about this prospect, has anyone on the board that has watched him play much that could give some input on him?

Newton goes after Locker and "Blaine Gabbert"?

My point is hot shot QB prospects are a dime a dozen. First Luck, then Locker, then Mallet, now this kid. Its the same song every year.

Anyone who thinks we need a QB at #1...an underclassman to boot...is high on something. We need D.

PTR

...or RBs, DBs, WRs, OTs, OLB/DEs, etc.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that all the OP wanted was input on Gabbert from those that have seen him play.

Tidbit from end of a D&C article on the Bills:

ESPN Scouts Inc.'s top-10 picks for the 2011 NFL college draft (in order): Stanford QB Andrew Luck; Clemson DE Da'Quan Bowers; Auburn DT Nick Fairley; LSU CB Patrick Peterson; Georgia WR A.J. Green; Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert; North Carolina DE Robert Quinn; Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara; Alabama DT Marcus Dareus; Iowa DE Adrian Clayburn; Oregon State DT Stephen Paea. Washington QB Jake Locker is 23rd, Auburn QB Cam Newton 29th and Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett 31st.

Since Luck will either not be in this draft or be gone long before we pick, the one we have a shot at is the number 2 rated QB (per ESPN) is Blaine Gabbert of Missouri. I have not heard much about this prospect, has anyone on the board that has watched him play much that could give some input on him?

I like his play and the kid can run but he needs more experience in college.

My dad's name is Blaine, and he took crap his entire life. He'd get mail addressed to "Elaine," "Blair", and my favorite, "Baline."

I've seen Gabbert play a lot. He was a 5 star recruit out of high school, and does possess a great arm and is really fast. When he's on, he's excellent. He had a couple bad games where I was convinced somebody had dropped LSD into the Gatorade, but for the most part he was really good.

He's put his name into a study, and if he comes out as a projected first round pick, he'll probably enter the draft.

Check him out tonight on the Insight Bowl at 10 p.m. East Coast Time, vs. Iowa.

I knew there had to be something! :)

I'm pretty sure that was Blaire.

No, that can't be right - Blaire was some crazy witch movie with Elizabeth Montgomery, I think.

Blair White is a wide receiver for the Colts…he caught a TD pass from Manning to win the game on Sunday.

But I don't think he was a teen movie star. I could be wrong. Child actors usually have a tough life.

Blair White is a wide receiver for the Colts…he caught a TD pass from Manning to win the game on Sunday.

But I don't think he was a teen movie star. I could be wrong. Child actors usually have a tough life.

You're wrong, he was a teen movie star. He had that horror film in the late 90's where those kids were camping in the woods - the Blair White Project.

I just feel QB talk is focusing on the wrong problem.

PTR

Why? i want this team to win the super bowl and be competitive for years... something reminiscent of the 90s.

History shows you need a top flight QB to do that; and that those types of QBs are found almost exclusively in the first round. Whether or not that QB is there in this years draft is another story.

This kid has a cannon. He looks confident and is accurate downfield. I've noticed that he isn't very elusive and if there isn't max protect he tends to get skiddish. Missou plays strictly out of a spread shotgun, so there would be a transition period, but his ceiling is very high based off his measurables and arm.

Last night he put up 434 yards passing versus a good Iowa defense. 1 passing TD, 1 rushing TD with 2 INTS. 1 of those INTS should have been a TD as it hit the WR between the numbers, bounced out of his hands and was picked off.

He very well could be the second QB off the board. He's like Locker with a better more accurate arm.

Why? i want this team to win the super bowl and be competitive for years... something reminiscent of the 90s.

History shows you need a top flight QB to do that; and that those types of QBs are found almost exclusively in the first round. Whether or not that QB is there in this years draft is another story.

The Bills can get the same kind of production from Fitzpatrick as the last three winning Superbowl quarterbacks…Brees, Rothlesberger and E. Manning.

Give him a running game, a solid defense and a tight end and you'll see a Bills team that's ready to make a run at the Superbowl title.

Picking Newton would set this franchise back another 10 years.

Gabbert was good last night, but I'm not sure how good Iowa's pass defense is supposed to be. Minus the dumb INT late that he should've thrown away (looked very TrINT-like) the guy was impressive. Tight spiral, good velocity on his throws, make quick reads and got the ball out, and seemed to have good command of his offense. I still hope we stay away from a round 1 QB.

Gabbert was good last night, but I'm not sure how good Iowa's pass defense is supposed to be. Minus the dumb INT late that he should've thrown away (looked very TrINT-like) the guy was impressive. Tight spiral, good velocity on his throws, make quick reads and got the ball out, and seemed to have good command of his offense. I still hope we stay away from a round 1 QB.

A good game was spoiled by a horrible decision on the INT that lost the game for Mizzou, and that's would be what would worry me with this guy. Decision making. He has good physical tools, but he needs some major coaching. If he lasts until the 2nd or 3rd round, OK, but he is not worth a 1st rounder.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but what is the point of posts like this? All the OP was asking for was input on Gabbert.

To answer the OP, I've only seen Gabbert play a few times, but really was not particularly impressed by him.

Watched the Missouri v. Iowa bowl game last night. This Gabbert kid has a rocket for an arm, accurate, mobile, and is a competitor. I'd easily rank him over Mallett and Locker. I saw him go 5 for 6 on one of the opening drives and he picked the zone apart beautifully. He plays in a shotgun, NFL style offense, is large, is comfortable in the pocket and like I said, he whipped the ball on at least three occassions on a rope 30-40 yds. I was impressed. I'm sure the bowl game vs. Iowa can be seen on Youtube (at least highlights). Take a look.

Just my opinion. (Although I've seen Locker choke many times and have watched Mallett who has a nice arm, but his mobility is questionable)

This kid has a cannon. He looks confident and is accurate downfield. I've noticed that he isn't very elusive and if there isn't max protect he tends to get skiddish. Missou plays strictly out of a spread shotgun, so there would be a transition period, but his ceiling is very high based off his measurables and arm.

Last night he put up 434 yards passing versus a good Iowa defense. 1 passing TD, 1 rushing TD with 2 INTS. 1 of those INTS should have been a TD as it hit the WR between the numbers, bounced out of his hands and was picked off.

He very well could be the second QB off the board. He's like Locker with a better more accurate arm.

I agree, but he gets more skiddish than I care for. He absolutely folds under pressure as he doesn't stand strong when the pressure is coming at him and based on how he even flinches away from contact while releasing the ball I don't see that changing. I'll pass. Talent is there but I think he will bust behind our line.