Terrelle Pryor

Cannon

Yep, they are out of their minds and out of control. They have no problem making millions of dollars off of these kids, and pimping them in the spotlight so the games get TV ratings, but the players arent allowed to be given a tattoo because of their status? Enough is enough.

$7000 divided up between 5 players is $1400/player, divided by 5 again to account for each game and it comes to a one game suspension for each $280 earned by the players for merchandise sales. The NCAA is as hypocritical an organization as you can find.

I firmly believe that Cam Newton had no knowledge of his father's dealings. :rolleyes:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't those items the property of the student-athletes? It's a bit outlandish to suggest that the NCAA can hold these kids' eligibility over their heads and force them to keep these baubles they toss these kids after pocketing so much money off their efforts.

If the NCAA is promoting amateur athletics they why are handing out conference championship rings in the first place? Aren't those awards most associated with pro sports?

I know it's easy to just scoff and say "hurr durr dems the rules too bad durr" but sometimes it becomes necessary to examine the rules themselves.

I cannot believe the amount of money that is involved in college sports. It must be tempting to profit from it when it is all around you.

I read between the lines on SC last night. Sounds to me like Pryor is a total prima-donna pain in the a$$.

The NCAA is just carrying on in the fine tradition of Avery Brundage.

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

Man comes up from behind and slips a fat envelope into his pocket, whispers something in his ear.

What? You're a little short? WTF do you mean you're SHORT?

You better get me all of it by 2:00 o'clock today or I'm coming after you strong.

DO YOU HEAR ME?!!!!

GDMF. Short. Hmmph.

Yep, they are out of their minds and out of control. They have no problem making millions of dollars off of these kids, and pimping them in the spotlight so the games get TV ratings, but the players arent allowed to be given a tattoo because of their status? Enough is enough.

time to do away with college sports altogether so that only students qualify.

I don't understand at all how they justify suspending them for 5 games... next year. If it's worthy of a suspension they should miss this year's bowl game. I'm not sayng it is, just that it's very suspicious that they find a reason for these kids to be able to play in a bowl.

$

It may also have to do with the fact that they chose not to suspend Newton for a clear violation of a major rule against solicitation of signing fees. They can't suspend Newton next year--he won't be a "college student" anymore.

Everyone plays!

As for the players playing in the bowl game according to OSU AD Smith and Coach Tressel (from the Columbus Dispatch):

"Smith and Tressel said one reason they fought for the players' suspensions to be delayed until next season is that they both felt the other players on the team - particularly the seniors playing their last game - did not deserve to suffer because of what their teammates had done".

Full article:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2010/12/24/ohio-state-pays-the-price.html?sid=101

I went to OSU. It is a great school. My decision to attend OSU was one of my better ones. I struggled when I was a student. Initially paying out-of-state tuition, paying rent for a one bedroom apartment, juggling classes, studying and work made me tired all the time. Occasionally, I used to walk past members of the football team on their way to dinner. I knew they were fed well while I was doing the Top Ramen, mac and cheese, pot pies, etc. No the players aren't given stipends but neither is the average STUDENT. Like students who receive academic scholarships there are some perks to the process. I was not a scholarship athlete nor a scholar. There are students who have it much worse like the ones that are homeless. This story doesn't have any good parts to the plot. The bowl game will have a dark cloud over it. Tradition at OSU is a big deal beyond the football field and one's time as a student. OSU and many other schools pound the NCAA infraction rules over and over to these guys mostly because the consequences can turn out like we are now seeing. I blame the players. If they want to learn from someone with changed perspective they should talk to Maurice Clarett. I wish the six players the best - at getting their degrees and living productive lives. There is only so much of this blame the NCAA stuff that I will accept. I also think some of the NCAA rules are garbage but the rules are well known. And don't give me this stuff about times are tough. Times are tough for a lot of people especially current students watching their tuition going up - again. Times are tough but what one values is a tattoo?

"Smith and Tressel said one reason they fought for the players' suspensions to be delayed until next season is that they both felt the other players on the team - particularly the seniors playing their last game - did not deserve to suffer because of what their teammates had done".

I am as big of fan in THE Ohio State University as I am the Buffalo Bills. I am disgusted by this entire event. More and more am I growing frustrated with the organization. Pryor is like someone described, a pre-madonna. His me-first attitude does not belong on a team. All of these players should be made to sit out and if I was on the team and followed the rules correctly I would be irrate. However, I do see the point that other players are missing out by not having them.

At the end of the day, suspended them entirely, do not let them play ever again and make an example. Truth be told, and it hurts to say, I fully believe the schools athletic program is just as crocked as any other organization - the only difference is that they make a lot more money to protect themselves and have a much deeper pocket to hide in. To be a fan of the NCAA is to willfully accept that there is massive corruption, from the NCAA to the athlete. I was a division 1 athlete, if that means anything.

If he is there is the 3rd or 4th round I would draft the guy and make him my TE like Gates! The guy would thrive as a Tight End I beleieve.

I don't see him as an NFL QB. You are right, tight end is about it. He played basketball in high school but I don't know about his receiving skills. His accuracy and decision making as a QB are very inconsistent.

An irony is that he had been floating the idea of playinng basketball after football season. He is done. Ba-bye...

I am as big of fan in THE Ohio State University as I am the Buffalo Bills. I am disgusted by this entire event. More and more am I growing frustrated with the organization. Pryor is like someone described, a pre-madonna. His me-first attitude does not belong on a team. All of these players should be made to sit out and if I was on the team and followed the rules correctly I would be irrate. However, I do see the point that other players are missing out by not having them.

At the end of the day, suspended them entirely, do not let them play ever again and make an example. Truth be told, and it hurts to say, I fully believe the schools athletic program is just as crocked as any other organization - the only difference is that they make a lot more money to protect themselves and have a much deeper pocket to hide in. To be a fan of the NCAA is to willfully accept that there is massive corruption, from the NCAA to the athlete. I was a division 1 athlete, if that means anything.

WTF. Prima donna not "pre-madonna." Crooked. not crocked. No you weren't a D1 athlete they would've taught you rudimentary spelling. Merry Xmas!

WTF. Prima donna not "pre-madonna." Crooked. not crocked. No you weren't a D1 athlete they would've taught you rudimentary spelling. Merry Xmas!

Actually, I was. For a short stint, 2 semesters, I ran track at a D1 school.

And those spelling things, well, should have spell checked. I miss words some times.

You mean the free education, room and board they get? Are you kidding me? Do you realize what the cost of a four year degree at a college like Ohio State is ?? They are getting what they deserve. I agree with Chris Speilman!

For an in state kid who spends four years there, the free stuff they give them totals around $80k. Now take a guy like Pryor, if he helps get his school to two BCS bowl games and two non bcs bowl games, he and his teammates help bring over $40,000,000 in money to the school. That's about $500k per player on the roster, or split up between the starters only that comes to about $2,000,000.

Edited by DC Grid

I can think of a few things that you apparently weren't taught, too.

You mean the free education, room and board they get? Are you kidding me? Do you realize what the cost of a four year degree at a college like Ohio State is ?? They are getting what they deserve. I agree with Chris Speilman!

Really, that's the most ironic thing about the current NFL minor league system (aka college football)

I worked 20-24 hrs/wk all through college.

In the long run, it built lots of skills I use every day (ability to multitask, prioritize, make efficient use of every scrap of time)

In the short run, it hurt my ability to get an education sometimes.

Nominally, the kids get free education etcetera.

Like "water water everywhere and not a drop to drink", they're required to spend so much time watching film, studying the game plan, practicing, mandatory team meetings at home, and travel for away games (not to mention strength training and workouts), it's close to a full-time job.

Top it off, many of these are kids who would need extra tutoring and help to bring them up to standard if they weren't playing football.

It takes a super-driven, motivated, efficient person to take advantage of that "free" education they're "given" under these circumstances.

My bottom line: I don't think they're being "given" a thing, except perhaps a chance to get to the NFL if they're the best of the best.

Really, that's the most ironic thing about the current NFL minor league system (aka college football)

I worked 20-24 hrs/wk all through college.

In the long run, it built lots of skills I use every day (ability to multitask, prioritize, make efficient use of every scrap of time)

In the short run, it hurt my ability to get an education sometimes.

Nominally, the kids get free education etcetera.

Like "water water everywhere and not a drop to drink", they're required to spend so much time watching film, studying the game plan, practicing, mandatory team meetings at home, and travel for away games (not to mention strength training and workouts), it's close to a full-time job.

Top it off, many of these are kids who would need extra tutoring and help to bring them up to standard if they weren't playing football.

It takes a super-driven, motivated, efficient person to take advantage of that "free" education they're "given" under these circumstances.

My bottom line: I don't think they're being "given" a thing, except perhaps a chance to get to the NFL if they're the best of the best.

I agree with this all the way. I am a former D3 track athlete, where I was an RA for 5 semesters and worked for the grounds dept. for a large chunk for my time as well. I dedicated when healthy 5 days a week at least 2.5 hours of practice time another 2 hours a day of weight lifting for 5 days a week, and had a track/XC meet almost every Saturday that ate up roughly 12hrs depending on the meet. So on an average week, I gave over 30 hours a week to track.

Since I was dirt poor, with no family support I put at least 10 more hours/ week into a job, just so I could make ends meet. Now, if I found out that my university was making thousands of dollars of me, while only compensating me a meal allowance of $12/day for each travel day, I'd be inclined to take advantage of any benefit that was thrown my way.

To parallel that over to a D1 football player on full-scholarship: They receive ~ $25,000/year for an education, and the university at least earns $8 million/year (courtesy of a report from the Orlando Sentinel). So that means with 85 scholarships, each program has at least 5.875 million to spend on coaching, facilities, and administration. We know that many coaching positions are less lucrative than what Ralph Wilson pays Chan, so it is safe to say that every program brings in some profit.

That $8 million was from Lousiana- Monroe, which is a creampuff of a program. If were to use Notre Dame or Alabama, where they conceivably are bringing in at least $70 million/year. That would leave roughly 67 million dollars for program to play around with. So the big time athletes see a share of about 5% of revenue, which I can understand getting comped for a tattoo when you are probably gonna be late round draft pick with slim odds of becoming a star player. If the players were given a flat rate stipend of another 5% of revenue, you probably wouldn't have as many problems with the players getting "extra benefits" while the NCAA makes billions each year.

FWIW, I do not support the pro's trying to get even more revenue, but the college kids deserve a slightly bigger piece of the pie than what they are getting. Just my $.02

Totally agree with Hopeful and JustNZane.

And we haven't even yet talked about the hypocrisy in the rules where non-student athletes can accept gifts, favors, and perks that would cause a student athlete to be stripped of their scholarship, suspended, or even expelled from school.

The NCAA is a complete and utter joke from top to bottom. They do not deserve the benefit of the doubt on so much as one single issue.

I did a job in Ohio in the same town Ohio State plays there games , in the hotel i was staying while in town the day of the game i had a conversation with one of the young men working the counter that day . He said that not many in the town cared for Pryor because of his attitude , he said that Pryor believes that he is god's gift to football & isn't afraid to let others know it .

When i was told that i thought i know that these guys have to have some ego but we meaning the Bills don't need no premadonna like that , from what i took away from the conversation the guy is just all about him & screw every body else & i for one think we need to stay as far away from that guy as we can !! Especially with this coming out now !!!