Most Stupid Band Names ...

truth on hold

Two that come to mind "Echo and the Bunnymen" and "Toad the Wet Sprocket"

First one is a) too long and b) references a furry, passive little animal. Both of these I think are a turn off to a rock audience.

Second one is a) too long and b) nonsensical because it uses an amphibious noun where one expects a verb. Again, audience turn offs.

Since both of these bands enjoyed less commercial success than they probably should have, could the names have something to do with it? Better to stick with something simpler and not weak-sounding like "The Who", "Styx" or "U2"?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

First one is a) too long and b) references a furry, passive little animal. Both of these I think are a turn off to a rock audience.

Second one is a) too long and b) nonsensical because it uses an amphibious noun where one expects a verb. Again, audience turn offs.

Since both of these bands enjoyed less commercial success than they probably should have, could the names have something to do with it? Better to stick with something simpler and not weak-sounding like "The Who", "Styx" or "U2"?

Toad the Wet Sprocket was lifted from a Monty Python skit- "Rock Notes". Toad the Wet Sprocket is a band mentioned in the skit.

Toad the Wet Sprocket was lifted from a Monty Python skit- "Rock Notes". Toad the Wet Sprocket is a band mentioned in the skit.

i didnt know that and I bet the vast majority of listeners don't. Even if they did, Im not sure an awkward sounding name doesnt hurt a band's cause.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

i didnt know that and I bet the vast majority of listeners don't. Even if they did, Im not sure an awkward sounding name doesnt hurt a band's cause.

Yeah well they would have done worse if they had gone with their original thought. Pining For The Fjords.

Oh and dont I think either band lacked success due to their names. Either could have been called The Allman Brothers Band and they still would not have had success.....if ya know whats I mean.

The Ting Tings . . . Just because . . .

i think a mediocre band is much more likely to garner attention with an odd name -- it sticks out, it is memorable. lets be honest - there are probably a hundred bands that were as talented, achieved as much if not more success, and had generic names during the same period that you will never remember.

that said, it is a lot harder to become an arena headliner with a stupid name.

Yeah well they would have done worse if they had gone with their original thought. Pining For The Fjords.

Oh and dont I think either band lacked success due to their names. Either could have been called The Allman Brothers Band and they still would not have had success.....if ya know whats I mean.

While I agree that it doesn't make good music bad and vice versa, there may be something to long, silly names and dampening a band's success.

Here's a list of the top selling bands of all time @ least 100 million albums sold (excluding individual names)

The Beatles

ABBA

Led Zeppelin

Queen

AC/DC

Pink Floyd

The Rolling Stones

Aerosmith

Backstreet Boys

Bee Gees

The Carpenters

Chicago

Deep Purple

Depeche Mode

Dire Straits

Eagles

Fleetwood Mac

Genesis

Gun N' Roses

Kiss

Metallica

Modern Talking

Scorpions

Status Quo

U2

The Who

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

Taking away the article "the" at the beginning leaves only one band with more the two words, "Guns N' Roses." And even in that case one of 3 words is an abbreviation. So I think a case can be made for too long, silly/weak sounding a bit tougher with names like "Pink Floyd", "Bee Gees" and "Kiss" on the list.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

While I agree that it doesn't make good music bad and vice versa, there may be something to long, silly names and dampening a band's success.

Here's a list of the top selling bands of all time @ least 100 million albums sold (excluding individual names)

The Beatles

ABBA

Led Zeppelin

Queen

AC/DC

Pink Floyd

The Rolling Stones

Aerosmith

Backstreet Boys

Bee Gees

The Carpenters

Chicago

Deep Purple

Depeche Mode

Dire Straits

Eagles

Fleetwood Mac

Genesis

Gun N' Roses

Kiss

Metallica

Modern Talking

Scorpions

Status Quo

U2

The Who

http://en.wikipedia....g_music_artists

Taking away the article "the" at the beginning leaves only one band with more the two words, "Guns N' Roses." And even in that case one of 3 words is an abbreviation. So I think a case can be made for too long, silly/weak sounding a bit tougher with names like "Pink Floyd", "Bee Gees" and "Kiss" on the list.

I think this alludes more to the fact that most band names are one or two words.

Im sure theres an element of that, and we don't have all the stats to decide. But still, Id think at least a few 3 complete word bands would make the list.

You know, I think you're on to something. It's the same here with the popularity of posters with just two words in their name. :D

I think this alludes more to the fact that most band names are one or two words.

And band names are brands - branding is short and to the point. Most on that list are neither cool or tough. Just easy.

There are bands, especially outside of the mainstream that have longer names but just like the biggest international brands you are looking for easy if your trying to reach 100 million people. Whether it be Nike, Yankees, or walmart, you are looking for 2-4 syllables for natural mental catalogging. What the top 100 bands all have in common is marketability, brand awareness and ability to connect over and over again. Each song is a new product and they have to hit it out of the ballpark dozens if not hundreds of times to be at the top of the list. Someone who easily produces those songs is apt to create a natural brand name as well.

That said, it all becomes white noise sometimes and a goofy name can be a gimmick. Gimmicks do more to start conversation at a water cooler or message board then they do selling tickets though. if the product lacks, gimmicks won't sell.

That said there are major bands with longer names - stone temple pilots, rage against the machine, Red hot chili peppers, nine inch nails, Alice in chains, three doors down are some of the 3+ word arena headliners I can think of recently.....

The name helps but you have to be at least a little good. Remember a band called XTC? Right. I didn't think so. Clever name but holy crap did they suck.

For me, name doesn't matter, it's how they sound. I would listen to a band called "Pink Bunny Slippers" if I like their songs.

Same here. One band that comes to mind is Squirrel Nut Zippers. Stupid name but I like their music. :thumbsup:

Dave Matthews Band...sure, you can be cool and just call them DMB, but what sucks, just sucks, whatever you call it....

Echo & the Bunnymen did not suck...great band...maybe an unfortunate name...but great band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeuUPFMqwMI&feature=related

Best band name I ever heard: John Cougar Concentration Camp. No real point to make...just saying that was a great band name,

That is pretty good...right there with Ringo Deathstarr, and Brian Jonestown Massacre!

Edited by Buftex

Strawberry Alarm Clock is out there . . .

. . . When life hands you a jeffrey, stroke the furry wall . . .

Umphrey's McGee:

Originally, the band was billed as "Hubert Humphrey's Traveling Band featuring Flappy McGee"; however, when the band was introduced at one of their very first concerts, the emcee for the evening (who coincidentally was none other than Rodney Dangerfield, a frequent patron of the bar that the band was playing that evening) slurred his words a bit (although to be fair, Dangerfield claimed it was a faulty microphone that kept cutting in and out) and all the audience could heard was "Umphrey's McGee". For better or for worse, the name stuck.