Hangartner and Wood

Bob in STL

First time I have tried to post a link. Hope it works.

My link

Lots of talk about Wood being an upgrade at center. I think that will take some time.

Well done; the link worked!

Gailey's comments re. Wood are interesting--not a glowing endorsement. I wonder if some of the mistakes in the running game that Gailey referred to during his presser were made by Wood.

Well done; the link worked!

Gailey's comments re. Wood are interesting--not a glowing endorsement. I wonder if some of the mistakes in the running game that Gailey referred to during his presser were made by Wood.

Center is a tough position. Lots to think about and many quality NTs in the AFC East on top of that.

First time I have tried to post a link. Hope it works.

My link

Lots of talk about Wood being an upgrade at center. I think that will take some time.

Wood was a four-year starter at Louisville at center and a third-team All-American at the position his senior year. The Bills moved him to guard his rookie year (last year). I'm not at all surprised he's catching people's attention at the position that he's probably most comfortable with.

LT may be the most important position on the line but C is the hardest, especially facing 4-3 defenses. The mobility to face a blitzing LB while snapping the ball is a lot harder then believed. Wood at C long term may be a possibility, but putting Hangartner at Guard and keeping him as a backup G/C is a move we need to do if he is benched. He is a great mind, 47 on the Wonderlic, and he could be a above average backup.

I like the fact that Chan calls it as he sees it. I always hatted the "we'll look at film ... it's never as bad ..." Chan watches the game and knows what is going on. As for calling out Wood I wondered if it is a bit of a motivational play. The line does have to play better and Wood is a big part of that.

Was the "talk of Wood being an upgrade" on an audio portion? Cause it says nothing about him being an upgrade.

The talk of Wood being an upgrade over Hangartner is discussed on this forum all the time.

I think Chan is pointing out that as good as Wood was as a center prospect coming out of college, it is just not that easy to play center in the NFL. Another takeaway is that maybe Hangartner is not as bad as some posters here say he is?

Good point, Bob. I've read a few threads lately where (legit) excitement over a new guy's (or newish guy's) limited body of work has too many of us ready to bump a proven starter.

The talent they've mined at the middle o-line spots this season is shaping up to be a good problem to have. My vote for Bills Asst. Coach MVP is Joe D'Alessandris. For what he's done with what he's been given -- with often little time to make it work.

Unfortunately I agree. Levitre, a very solid OG imo, did not play well at all vs. the phish.

I think Gailey said it well when asked about the line's performance...."pass-protection, good - running game, awful". I must say, Gailey communicates a hell of a lot better than the previous 4 coaches. He doesn't dance at all.

I think Gailey said it well when asked about the line's performance...."pass-protection, good - running game, awful". I must say, Gailey communicates a hell of a lot better than the previous 4 coaches. He doesn't dance at all.

Which says a lot about Freddy that he has done so well, unfortunately, it made Lynch look awful. Lynch was good the first years plowing up the middle and making big runs doing so; this year the line couldn't give him enough room to slide a thimble.

Woods play at center (Plus the fact that he played center in college) makes Wood in my opinion the starting center. Handy will get a chance to start at RG as he played Guard at times in Carolina and he has a veteran presence along the line.

I think when Hangartner is healthy he goes back in at center, they miss Wood's ability to pull and get out front in the run game.

I like the fact that Chan calls it as he sees it. I always hatted the "we'll look at film ... it's never as bad ..." Chan watches the game and knows what is going on. As for calling out Wood I wondered if it is a bit of a motivational play. The line does have to play better and Wood is a big part of that.

YE OLE agrees whole heartedly. Remember after week 2 when we got ass paddled by GB, and Trent took a stroll out of bounds on 4th down? I thought the Chan Man was going to have a stroke after that game. One of the best pressers I've ever seen!