Looks like Leach landed in College Park,

The Senator

I see a national championship in Maryland's near future, and a decade of dominance in the ACC...

Mike Leach Is New Maryland Football Coach, According To Report

While disappointed that the Bills once again missed out on this offensive genius, I look forward to the Terps kicking ass (esp Shalala 'U') and setting new records in the ACC as Leach returns the Maryland program to the glory days of Bobby Ross, Boomer Esiason, and - of course - Frank Reich!

Mike Leach "Likely" To Be Maryland's Next Football Coach

Mike Leach to Maryland? Could this be bad for Arizona?

Leach already calling recruits

Guess you just can't keep a good man down! B-)

Edited by The Senator

But wait. I thought nobody was gonna give him an opportunity to coach again. That's what all the experts around here said. They may want to hide in a storage closet for a while, assuming there's room in there with Craig and his son.

Leach's offense is going to attract a lot of players who might otherwise have not chosen Maryland. The "U" is going to regret not hiring him.

GO BILLS!!!

" While disappointed that the Bills once again miss out on a offensive genius "

We can't just change coarse every time some one comes available , although i would have liked to see what he might have done if he had been named HC of the Bills .

With that being said the organization went in one direction and before as fans we just decide to go with a knee jerk reaction and change when things seem to be heading in the right direction we need to give Nix & Gailey the time that we gave the other schmucks at least to do what they've set out to do !!!!

But wait. I thought nobody was gonna give him an opportunity to coach again.

GO BILLS!!!

I believe many said (well, at least I said) he would not be considered for any major football program. I think we (I) also said, correctly, he wouldn't get the Miami job he was publicly pimping for.

Maryland is a good job for Leach, I think. The Terrapins are a second level ACC team that occasionally gets a sniff of a low-level bowl game. He should be able to make some improvements in that program, where expectations are relatively low.

I wish him luck.

But wait. I thought nobody was gonna give him an opportunity to coach again. That's what all the experts around here said. They may want to hide in a storage closet for a while, assuming there's room in there with Craig and his son.

Leach's offense is going to attract a lot of players who might otherwise have not chosen Maryland. The "U" is going to regret not hiring him.

GO BILLS!!!

:lol::thumbsup:

Yes, that's what all the ersatz experts around here said. And you just know he'll carry a grudge against Miami - should be very entertaining...

The pirate ship is sailing East...Leach was too risky for Miami or Florida, but he’s the exact type of risk a school like Maryland should take. He pisses people off, but he is a great coach. The ACC is a winnable league. If he can get the Air Raid rolling they will be competitive every year...It’s great for Maryland and great for the media. Leach made a national impact in a Texas backwater. Now the Washington Post will be covering him on a daily basis. We’ll now get a steady stream of oddity rather than sporadic glimpses.

Pirate Invasion: Maryland Preparing to Hire Mike Leach as Head Coach

Can't wait to see The Pirate run up the score on Shalala 'U' :pirate:

" While disappointed that the Bills once again miss out on a offensive genius "

You will find the man Leach is replacing, "Ralph Friedgen" was also described as an "offensive genius" when he was hired at Maryland. So, maybe the Bills should hire him.

I live in DC, Twerps football is on this area's sports radar right after the Washington Mystic, although the Terps Basketball is probably more closely tracked than the Wiz. VT and UVA football is more important than the twerps too.

If Leech comes here the DC media is going to salivate over all his juicy quotes, but unless they go undefeated they'll still be irrelevant in the DC area.

I thought the Fridge won the ACC coach of the year recently. They're gonna give him the raw boot?

Edit: the Fridge won 2010 ACC coach of the year and MD is asking him to retire. Weird. Again MD football isnt really discussed on the news or sports radio so I didn't know.

ACC football is super weak if Leech could pull a few 4 star recruits (5 star might be a little unrealistic) MD could easily make a run.

Edited by Why So Serious?

GO BILLS!!!

I don't know of anyone who said he wasn't going to coach again. That is a figment of your imagination. What was said was that becasue of the controversey at Texas Tech he would not immediately get a high profile job. Programs such as Miami, Univ. Florida, maybe Michigan had little interest in him. What most people postulated was that he would have to work at a lower caliber program and work his way up. That is exactly what happened. The Maryland program has been in the doldrums for a very long time.

The reason why he was hired at Maryland, or appears to be hired by them, is that the program has plateaued and attendance has been diminishing. The Terpians qualified for a much higher bowl game than they got but were passed by because their fan base is very dormant.

Mike Leach is a good coach who generates a lot of publicity and interest in his team. He is a little bit eccentric and enjoys the limelight. That is what the University of Maryland is counting on.

I see a national championship in Maryland's near future, and a decade of dominance in the ACC...

While disappointed that the Bills once again missed out on this offensive genius, I look forward to the Terps kicking ass (esp Shalala 'U') and setting new records in the ACC as Leach returns the Maryland program to the glory days of Bobby Ross, Boomer Esiason, and - of course - Frank Reich!

Leach is coaching the basketball team?

GO BILLS!!!

You mean like he did at Texas Tech? You mean all those great QB's he brought in to star in that nation leading leading offense that lead to...zero titles?

You mean like he did at Texas Tech? You mean all those great QB's he brought in to star in that nation leading leading offense that lead to...zero titles?

Ahhhh WEO, it must be Sunday or Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday or Friday or Saturday because you're taking pleasure in peeing in someone's Cornflakes.

Some of the scores during his time at TT sure looked that way

Come on, WEO, you know damn well Leach won the co-divisional championship one year.

Ahhhh WEO, it must be Sunday or Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday or Friday or Saturday because you're taking pleasure in peeing in someone's Cornflakes.

Come on BB! Many here feel the same regarding this bizarre, unending crusade. You're gonna give me sh**t for this?? I just point out the facts-that shouldn't hurt much. It's hardly "pee in the flakes", unless we are supposed to suffer this nonsense politely, like the rantings of a dullard relative.

Some of the scores during his time at TT sure looked that way

Come on, WEO, you know damn well Leach won the co-divisional championship one year.

Haha--you got me! And I am thinking of giving out the NFL rookie cards of all his record setting Texas Tech QBs as xmas presents to all those TT fans I know of who live outside of Lubbock!

I believe many said (well, at least I said) he would not be considered for any major football program. I think we (I) also said, correctly, he wouldn't get the Miami job he was publicly pimping for.

Maryland is a good job for Leach, I think. The Terrapins are a second level ACC team that occasionally gets a sniff of a low-level bowl game. He should be able to make some improvements in that program, where expectations are relatively low.

I wish him luck.

Expectations aren't low. That's why Friedgen got forced out. Declining season ticket sales the past five seasons. People are tired of the mediocrity. When Fridge first came back the Terrapins were in the Orange Bowl and a few other pretty good bowl games. Then they started hitting the bottom bowls. I'm a MD fan. Glad they got Leach. Might work out and might not, but time to for them to go all in. Expectations will be high. Trust me. If MD doesn't start doing big things he will be run out of town. There is a civil war in Terp land right now. Everybody loved Fridge, but a lot of us wanted to turn the page and try to go to the next level. Others think Fridge, being an alum who brought the program out of the woods, is being mistreated and are pissed. Either way Leach better be on point.

You'd think, if it really annoyed him, he'd just do what I did with him long ago - namely, put me on 'ignore'. But no such luck - I guess all the Herring Cove boys have gone South for the winter, and he's just bored 'til they get back. B-)

Expectations aren't low. That's why Friedgen got forced out.

I guess it depends on what you call high, or low, expectations. Let's face it, his job won't be in danger in two years if he isn't vying for a National Championship, or playing in major bowl games. If it were, I would call that "high expectations".

Edited by The Dean

I guess it depends on what you call high, or low, expectations. Let's face it, his job won't be in danger in two years if he isn't vying for a National Championship, or playing in major bowl games. If it were, I would call that "high expectations".

With all the national exposure Leach is about to get in the Washington Post, Baltimore Sun, and USA Today (HQ-McLean, VA), I expect that w/in 2 years The Pirate will be replacing Shanahan as Redskins HC, rather than vying for major bowl berths. :pirate:

(But I disagree about the level of expectations in College Park - I think they expect Leach to return the Maryland program to the national prominence of the 1980s, and I'm guessing that's exactly what he'll do.)

With all the national exposure Leach is about to get in the Washington Post, Baltimore Sun, and USA Today (HQ-McLean, VA), I expect that w/in 2 years The Pirate will be replacing Shanahan as Redskins HC

Given the quality of their decisions lately, you just may be right.

You'd think, if it really annoyed him, he'd just do what I did with him long ago - namely, put me on 'ignore'. But no such luck - I guess all the Herring Cove boys have gone South for the winter, and he's just bored 'til they get back. B-)

What kind of man puts someone on "ignore"?

And didn't you tell everybody you were leaving months ago? Turns out your mission was much to important, huh?

What's "Herring Cove"?

I wish you'd get off the fence about this Leech guy. Do you like him or not?

This will be fun. I'm interested to see how this works out for Maryland, and think it could be a good fit.

The question for me is whether Leach will be able to overcome the talent pool being less in Maryland than it was in Texas. In Texas, the lesser recruits are still really good. In Maryland, from the little I know about recruiting, I think it's not quite as good.

If he can steal some good recruits, I think he can accomplish similar things to what he did with tech: A bunch of 9+ winning seasons & shots at BCS bowls. Especially given the state of the ACC.