Nick Fairley - DE/DT Auburn

Who are the others?

Fairley-Auburn

Clayborne-Iowa

??

Marcell Dareus and Da'Quan Bowers are also beasts. I'd take any one of those 4 players on this team in a minute. But Fairley sure does look Bruce Smith like out there, causing havoc all day for opposing QB's.

Bowers from Clemson. Maybe the best pass rusher of this group.

The question becomes- what do we need more, a run stuffer or a pass rusher? Or is there a combo guy?

As bad as our run D is, I think we need a pass rusher on the outside. That way, Kyle Williams's primary job becomes cloging up the middle and eating up anyone who tries to get by. Right now, it seems like he is trying to do it all (and he's doing a good job too).

Adding a run stuffer doesnt fix both needs. Adding a pass rusher could.

Marcell Dareus and Da'Quan Bowers are also beasts. I'd take any one of those 4 players on this team in a minute. But Fairley sure does look Bruce Smith like out there, causing havoc all day for opposing QB's.

While he's not playing this year I might add Quinn to the list- The best pick also depends on whether we are going 3-4, 4-3, or a mix - right now I'd go Bowers and go 4-3 but I wouldn't cry about drafting Fairley either.

some people have character concerns about fairley and say he's a "dirty" player. I can only recall one play, where he hit Aaron Murray in the back a good 2 or 3 seconds after Murray had thrown a pass. Fairley is a beast.

There seem to be some really premier defensive linemen out there and Fairly is at or near the top of the list. I imagine there will be some moving around in post season evaluations and camp. I'm thinking our number one will be greared toward one of these stud players. I guess there are about four or five very good offensive tackles and one should definitely be there for our second round pick. Third round? A linebacker or tight end (Maybe Stocker from Tennessee might be there in the third.)

some people have character concerns about fairley and say he's a "dirty" player. I can only recall one play, where he hit Aaron Murray in the back a good 2 or 3 seconds after Murray had thrown a pass. Fairley is a beast.

I think we NEED some dirty on this team.

Bowers/Fairley are, IMO, the biggest physical beasts of the group. Marcell Dareus is very solid but Id take Bowers or Fairley over him. Quinn is another guy who is great but may be more of a 3-4 OLB 4-3 DE only, and not be a 3-4 DE option.

I was extremely impressed with how well Bowers plays against the run. I think Bowers is strong and big enough to play 3-4 DE, and is also athletic enough to play 3-4 OLB – which is pretty insane. He is a carbon copy of Peppers. He would be a 4-3 end obviously. Claiborne I was very unimpressed with this year. He seems to give up on a lot of plays and not try very hard. He is talented as hell but Id want more effort out of a top 5 pick.

If I am ranking the players today:

Bowers

Fairley

Dareus

Quinn

Claiborne

*Quinn may be higher but didn’t play this year, I rank him lower than Dareus bc he will likely slide in the draft this year just like Dez Bryant.

Bowers is still pretty raw in terms of pass rush and relies heavily on his speed and athleticism to get into the back field. Something that won't work like it has at the next level.

Dareus has work ethic concerns and I've reports where scouts say he takes plays off and doesn't go 100% all the time.

Fairley is a beast. The dirty player stuff doesn't worry me but the one year wonder thing does.

Quinn is another one year wonder with a ton of athleticism and speed. Can he play coverage in a 3-4 scheme? Who knows. Being suspended certainly may hurt his draft stock.

Bowers is still pretty raw in terms of pass rush and relies heavily on his speed and athleticism to get into the back field. Something that won't work like it has at the next level.

Dareus has work ethic concerns and I've reports where scouts say he takes plays off and doesn't go 100% all the time.

Fairley is a beast. The dirty player stuff doesn't worry me but the one year wonder thing does.

Quinn is another one year wonder with a ton of athleticism and speed. Can he play coverage in a 3-4 scheme? Who knows. Being suspended certainly may hurt his draft stock.

You said it. Anytime you get hot for a one-year wonder just think of Aaron Maybin to cool off.

PTR

Because right now, he seems to be a slam dunk for skill AND need....

I don't normally follow college ball too much, but I just happened to watch this past week's SEC Champeenship to look specifcally at 2 players who are rated highly - Cam Newton and Fairly.

As I watched Fairly, I kept thinking, "what's special about this guy?"

He looked slow and easily worn down.

My problem with college ball has always been the lack of balance in competition. Some weeks, the top ranked team will be playing the Crimson Tide, the next week, it's the UB Bulls. It's like any given NFL team playing one of those NFL Europe teams.

Even on any top college team you're going to have future NFL Pro Bowlers lined up next to next year's midnight shift burger chefs.

Maybe Fairly looks great against the former Kenmore West standouts, but I'd bet money he won't make much noise in the NFL. At least not if last week's effort against the Gamecocks is any indication of his talent level.

Bust.

Can anyone think of another team that has two #1's that would want to trade up with us? Anyone who may need a QB?

PTR

I also keep coming back to a scenario like this, PTR.

Is it just me, or does this draft class seem so weak that nobody even warrants a top 5 pick?

Are any of them team captains (and have been captains in high school)? If so, it's a safe bet that he'll be the pick. Just a hunch.

Good point. I don't have time to google that but if someone does the research please post. I'd guess that Marcell Dareus might be a team Captain, Bowers might be as well.

I doubt Fairley or Clayborn were team captains.

And Quinn might be Captain of the couch potatoes but I don't think that counts.

I am an Auburn Grad and have watched every game this year and in prevoius years. I have two comments about Fairley.

1) he played sparingly last year and was a beast when he was in there. Auburn fans wondered why he wasn't getting more playing time. So as to the one year wonder comments, I say not really. If you look at tackles for loss, sack etc, based on last year and compare it to his playing time I would guess he would have the same stats if you project them out.

2) As far as a dirty player, not so fast. There are no rules in college that protect the QB like the NFL. So driving the QB to the ground is legal. Also if you are continuely getting choped blocked (i.e GA game) if you get to the QB wouldn't you make sure he goes down hard? He has only been penalized once for a late hit that I can remember, maybe twice, not bad for a guy who is getting to the QB and making plays.

Also a good NT like Kyle would allow Fairley to have less double teams.

Now I like him more...

Agreed, we could use some guys that play with an edge.

I don't normally follow college ball too much, but I just happened to watch this past week's SEC Champeenship

Well then just stop right there. You cant watch ONE game of an entire season and make a judgment on the player and if he might make it at the next level.

Also a good NT like Kyle would allow Fairley to have less double teams.

Yep, and with two guys like Williams and Fairley next to each other, it doesnt matter if you run a 3-4, 4-3, 5-2, or even a 2-5. With those guys next to each other, they will make plays.

Get the most talented players on the field and let them do what they do. The scheme in this case is secondary.

I don't normally follow college ball too much, but I just happened to watch this past week's SEC Champeenship to look specifcally at 2 players who are rated highly - Cam Newton and Fairly.

As I watched Fairly, I kept thinking, "what's special about this guy?"

He looked slow and easily worn down.

My problem with college ball has always been the lack of balance in competition. Some weeks, the top ranked team will be playing the Crimson Tide, the next week, it's the UB Bulls. It's like any given NFL team playing one of those NFL Europe teams.

Even on any top college team you're going to have future NFL Pro Bowlers lined up next to next year's midnight shift burger chefs.

Maybe Fairly looks great against the former Kenmore West standouts, but I'd bet money he won't make much noise in the NFL. At least not if last week's effort against the Gamecocks is any indication of his talent level.

Bust.

He single-handedly dominated Alabama. I don't know if they fit under your Ken West moniker. He may have had an off week last week, but I've seen him 3-4 times this year and not once did the word BUST come to mind. I wouldn't judge him so harshly bases on one game.

Him, Dareus, Bowers, and Luck are all underclassmen. Considering we will be picking no later than 4, that’s 3 top guys who would be perfect for us that may not even declare.

On one hand they could all come out to collect that big rookie contract before the rookie cap, on the other hand, there could be an outlook that means no season and they all stay in school.

Lets home this CBA doesn’t really F us in the rear with no lube.

IF the BILLS continue with the profile of players they seem to want itll be big dline 285+ and big linebackers also 260 +,,

ADD CAMERON JORDAN to the list ..hes Steve Jordans son I think ,formerly of the VIKINGS...

.NICK FAIRLEY IS VERY GOOD ,, REMINDS me alot of REGGIE WHITE as a rookie,,great video of him on you tube,,by the way he has a tendency of questionABLE HITS..He basically destroyed clemson qb in there game//

adrian clayborn was the top de..but recent involvements in assault on a cabbie changed that//

jordans issues are level of competition he faced is up for debate ,/

/BOWERS is lighting quick but seems to take of plays ,thhat being said he still rates top 5-10 consideration..

Dareus is a beast also top 5 likely

Cam Hayward and JJ Watts,Allen BAILEY are in the mix late first EARLY second too

AT THIS POINT I BELIEVE ITLL BE FAIRLEY AS OUR 1ST UNLESS HE IS ALREADY GONE.THEN ITS A TOSSUP BETWEEN CLAYBORN AND BOWERS,,,,,,,SO FAR.

AS A ORGANIZATION THE BILLS HAVE TRADED BACK into the 1st often ,it wouldnt surprise me to see it happen again

Edited by tombstone56

I dunno man, it's looking more and more like we'll draft second. I don't think we'll win another game.

Man, I hope so, BC; the Bengals are so close to winning a game it is making me sick. After that, all we need is a win by Detroit.

I love our Bills but now we are at the point where they are just decimated by injuries.

Are any of them team captains (and have been captains in high school)? If so, it's a safe bet that he'll be the pick. Just a hunch.

I think you are right, and this may be what Chan was hinting at with his vague comments after the Minnesota loss. I believe that Nix/Gailey will be leaning heavily on guys that are team leaders and are SMART (at least from a football IQ perspective).

I think you are right, and this may be what Chan was hinting at with his vague comments after the Minnesota loss. I believe that Nix/Gailey will be leaning heavily on guys that are team leaders and are SMART (at least from a football IQ perspective).

Read an article recently about the Falcons and how all of their core players were team captains going back to high school. Dimitroff, incidentally, is a Belicheck disciple. Nix isn't, but I think he has the same philosophy - and it's a good one.

Read an article recently about the Falcons and how all of their core players were team captains going back to high school. Dimitroff, incidentally, is a Belicheck disciple. Nix isn't, but I think he has the same philosophy - and it's a good one.

Man, I really hope we don't pass on Fairley (or even one of these other guys) simply because he wasn't a team "team captain".

Nothing will make me happier than us drafting a stud for the front 7 in April...I've heard that there are as many as 12-15 Dlinemen with first round grades, so we have a chance to really improve in this area. Hopefully we make smart picks that actually produce!

Isn't Fairley an interior lineman? One of the few positions we're set at between Williams and Troup?

I'd take a 3-4 with a front line of Troup-Williams-Fairley

I'd take a 4-3, with a rotation of Troup-Fairley-Williams-Carrington at DT and maybe some DE

Given our inability to stop teams from running up the middle on us, I don't think we're as set as we think we are.

Bowers from Clemson. Maybe the best pass rusher of this group.

The question becomes- what do we need more, a run stuffer or a pass rusher? Or is there a combo guy?

No, the question should be who do we think is the better football player when we pick. I really like Fairley, but I think there are four or five defensive beasts who could easily end up being the best player when we pick.

If my memory serves me correctly, Strouds deal is up after this year - which likely means he is a goner. That makes DL a bigger need than it currently is.

Me personally, I would like to see a true 34 NT brought in. KW is a great player anywhere he plays on the line, but his play this year has really been great over the last 6-8 weeks, which is exactly when we made teh major change back to the 43. He ahs dominated at 3 tech once we shifted. I think that if we are going to go 34 his best position is at 5 tech.

I dont see/havent heard of ANY 34 NTs in the draft. Shaun Rogers is a FA I believe, and he could be the big 350lb butt plug to anchor the middle for 2-3 years.

RDE: KW, Edwards

NT: Shaun Rogers, Troup

LDE: Bowers/Fairley, Carrington, S. Johnson

Not a bad lineup.