Did you know Cam Newton was ineligible

Beerball

He was...Monday the NCAA enforcement staff found that Daddy Newton had pimped his son to Mississippi State.

Tuesday he was declared ineligible.

Today his eligibility was reinstated after an Auburn appeal.

That's some pretty quick movement by the NCAA, an organization known to take weeks/months to come to a decision.

Intresting that Monday's and Tuesday's actions were not made public.

link

He was...Monday the NCAA enforcement staff found that Daddy Newton had pimped his son to Mississippi State.

Tuesday he was declared ineligible.

Today his eligibility was reinstated after an Auburn appeal.

That's some pretty quick movement by the NCAA, an organization known to take weeks/months to come to a decision.

Intresting that Monday's and Tuesday's actions were not made public.

link

Move along...nothing to see here.

PTR

He won't in the Heisman. Those guys don't want to see another Trophy called back.

Should we be disgusted that this happened and the NCAA most likely blew it under the rug to save face?

Should we be disgusted that this happens on about every team with many top recruits?

Should we just forget this and be more concerned there is no play offs yet?

Of all of those, we'll simply watch the BCS bowl games, be amazed at Newton and all of the other paid athletes and declare one the absolute, without contention, number 1.

Seems to me that the NCAA just wants to sweep this under the rug - at least temporarily - so as not to ruin their TV ratings for the SEC title game and the big Oregon/Auburn BCS Championship.

Also seems that more dirt will eventually come to light that Cam Newton is somehow ' tainted ' - and had best declare for the draft before he finds himself ineligible to play college ball next season.

I have to say I don't blame any college athlete that takes money. The rules and guidelines for employment and money making opportunities are extremely limited for the athletes that make millions for the schools and ncaa. I have no problem with a player "getting his" when given the opportunity, as you never know when the gravy train will end.

Btw I understand they are given a full ride worth upwards of 40k a year however education is not neccesarily the top priority for a majority of these athletes that get paid. Biding their time until they can turn pro is.

Seems to me that the NCAA just wants to sweep this under the rug - at least temporarily - so as not to ruin their TV ratings for the SEC title game and the big Oregon/Auburn BCS Championship.

Also seems that more dirt will eventually come to light that Cam Newton is somehow ' tainted ' - and had best declare for the draft before he finds himself ineligible to play college ball next season.

You can never go wrong when you follow the money trail.

Yeah, they came to a quick decision on this matter. This seems to indicate the NCAA knows there are widespread violations, but too numerous for them to control.

You can never go wrong when you follow the money trail.

Yeah, they came to a quick decision on this matter. This seems to indicate the NCAA knows there are widespread violations, but too numerous for them to control.

Its real convenient for the NCAA and BCS that they're avoiding a TCU vs Oregon National Championship with this rushed decision; then in 2 years there will be "new Information" that will lead to Auburn vacating the SEC championship and National Championship.

Does the NCAA and BCS have to vacate all the checks they cashed because people want to watch Cam Newton play?

Edited by Why So Serious?

Its real convenient for the NCAA and BCS that they're avoiding a TCU vs Oregon National Championship with this rushed decision; then in 2 years there will be "new Information" that will lead to Auburn vacating the SEC championship and National Championship.

Does the NCAA and BCS have to vacate all the checks they cashed because people want to watch Cam Newton play?

Precisely!

And I have always wondered how powerful of motivator it is to have that guy like Newton. Seldom is there a time where the masses HAVE to see such player play.

It is all about money and if you do not know the value of $1, than give it to me, I am sure I can enjoy it.

First, the NCAA has nothing to do with the BCS. If anything, the NCAA would like to eliminate the BCS.

In that sense, the NCAA could care less who plays in or wins the BCS championship game.

My guess is, Auburn pressured the NCAA into making a decision. Far easier to to say yes now, and make Auburn vacate wins later as compared to saying no now, and finding out Cam was clean. There would be lawsuits 'aplenty' under the second scenario.

I have to say I don't blame any college athlete that takes money. The rules and guidelines for employment and money making opportunities are extremely limited for the athletes that make millions for the schools and ncaa. I have no problem with a player "getting his" when given the opportunity, as you never know when the gravy train will end.

Btw I understand they are given a full ride worth upwards of 40k a year however education is not neccesarily the top priority for a majority of these athletes that get paid. Biding their time until they can turn pro is.

agreed

First, the NCAA has nothing to do with the BCS. If anything, the NCAA would like to eliminate the BCS.

In that sense, the NCAA could care less who plays in or wins the BCS championship game.

My guess is, Auburn pressured the NCAA into making a decision. Far easier to to say yes now, and make Auburn vacate wins later as compared to saying no now, and finding out Cam was clean. There would be lawsuits 'aplenty' under the second scenario.

The NCAA and BCS both benefit from Cam Newton playing now that's the point.

There is no way in hell it would be fair to anyone if the STOPPED Cam Newton from playing right now until a full investigation is complete. Everything so far is an allegation. And I personally assume that his father is totally guilty. You can't stop a kid from playing in a game unless you know pretty much for sure what happened, whether he was involved or not. You can't take it back. You can't just assume he did wrong even if you're pretty sure he did wrong until a final ruling is made.

I would expect the controversy of Newton being declared ineligible to boost ratings. Especially if it made the SEC title game a little more of an even contest.

He's only eligible because Auburn immediately appealed his ineligibility. He hasn't been cleared.

He clearly violated the rule prohibiting a potential recruit, or anyone on his behalf, form soliciting money in order to get him to enroll in a particular school. The point that "he did not know" is immaterial (and completely unbelievable, given common sense and this kids history of lying to authorities)---the rule is obviously written that way to prevent exactly this bogus defense by a player.

I would expect the controversy of Newton being declared ineligible to boost ratings. Especially if it made the SEC title game a little more of an even contest.

Really?

'Cause if Newton's not playing in the SEC title game, I'm more inclined to watch the Oregon v. Oregon State game on at the same time. But that's just me.

Interesting scenario if Newton were NOT to play, would be Auburn losing to #19 South Carolina and getting knocked out of the BCS title bowl.

Then, TCU would play Oregon in the BCS title game; Stanford - or maybe Auburn - would play Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl; Arkansas - or maybe Auburn - would go to the Sugar Bowl; Nebraska wou... :wacko: ...never mind.

You can see my point - NCAA wants two undefeated teams, i.e., Oregon v. Auburn/Newton, playing for the BCS title.

Edited by The Senator

He's only eligible because Auburn immediately appealed his ineligibility. He hasn't been cleared.

He clearly violated the rule prohibiting a potential recruit, or anyone on his behalf, form soliciting money in order to get him to enroll in a particular school. The point that "he did not know" is immaterial (and completely unbelievable, given common sense and this kids history of lying to authorities)---the rule is obviously written that way to prevent exactly this bogus defense by a player.

He's been cleared for Saturday and the league is finished with its review of the Mississippi State pay for play scenario. They found that daddy did try to get $$$ which as you say is very much against the NCAA rules. The NCAA has chosen to allow him to play Saturday because they (in their words) look at each instance on a case by case basis.

What difference will it make if it takes them 2 years to determine that Auburn did pay for his services? He's long gone, his money and the money the school received from conference championship and BCS games is spent. They know that he did wrong here (through the actions of his father) and they choose to let him play. I find that interesting.

Meanwhile some WR (maybe Alabama?) was suspended for a month because he sold a game jersey for $1000.

Meanwhile Dez Bryant was suspended for 7-8 games because he lied about having a burger with Deion Sanders. Did the NCAA ever determine whether Sanders was using undo influence on Bryant? IDK because I haven't heard a word about this since the suspension.

Meanwhile schools have been scolded for helping a player get home during a bereavement period.

Not a fan of the governing body of intercollegiate sports.

I agree, Beerball. It's dirty stuff. But this case is unusual because it was so blatant, and, for most of the public, more disagreeable because the kid's own father was the one demanding the money---no middleman involved.

The NFL should allow these kids to come out after one season so characters like Cam Newton can not overtly soil the college game like he has at both Florida and Auburn.

My guess is that the reason that the NFL does not allow kids to come out until at least after 3 years since HS graduation is that the networks demanded this as a contingency on paying billions for NFL broadcast rights. Since they also spend billions for the rights to NCAA football broadcasts, there's no way they would allow top college players to bolt to the pros after one year, as in basketball. It would ruin much of the appeal of college football on TV if there was more rapid turnover of players.