Totally unimpressed by Mallet right now

The Big Cat

I wouldn't mind either one of them but QBs come at a premium these days, and guys from big-name schools with raw talent always go higher than the 4th.

Mallet just threw a pretty amazing TD. I can handle the lows if they still leave you with the lead against a top-5 school.

This has been a very sloppy game on both sides of the ball.

I'd hesitate to say that Mallet has much to do with anything, it's been too chaotic.

Ponder wont be around in the 4th.

Sure he will. Also, we should prepare to be mad come draft time because every team would like to trade the Bills many of their own draft picks to move into Buffalo's position, yet Nix/Modrak/Ralph will not make a deal. The Bills will simultaneously be stupid for not having moved up to select Andrew Luck.

Fine by me.

If we draft a QB in 2011, I'd rather it not be in the first three rounds. If they take one in the fourth (a project), I can be on board.

I don't see it happening though with Brohm and Brown waiting in the wings, just speculation.

This has been a very sloppy game on both sides of the ball.

I'd hesitate to say that Mallet has much to do with anything, it's been too chaotic.

Yes it has. But football games are longer than 2 quarters and LSU is a top 3-7 defense (#3 pass D). This isn't an easy game for anyone, nor should it be.

Mallet still threw a perfect pass on that TD. I think that has something to do with the 14 points they have put on the board. That was a quick and excellent drive.

Yes it has. But football games are longer than 2 quarters and LSU is a top 3-7 defense (#3 pass D). This isn't an easy game for anyone, nor should it be.

Mallet still threw a perfect pass on that TD. I think that has something to do with the 14 points they have put on the board. That was a quick and excellent drive.

I also can't imagine a universe in which Mallet doesn't get broken in half behind our offensive line, at last over the next two or three years.

There's a QB named Ryan Fitzpatrick on the Bills who would be a pretty nice player for Mallet to learn from for a year or two while the o-line continues to get better. Just sayin.

All we really need is a RT and a TE and the O is set. The D...................... :huh:

I know. That 80 yard td just sucked. :oops:

Mallet is a statue that will get killed in the NFL!! He is Ryan Leaf 2.0! he has sucked this whole game besides two throws that went for TD because LES MILES is a TARD! If LUCK is not there draft the best DLINEMAN or LINEBACKER you can get.

Oh and the SEC is the worst tackling conference in america. tough to watch

Mallet is a statue that will get killed in the NFL!! He is Ryan Leaf 2.0! he has sucked this whole game besides two throws that went for TD because LES MILES is a TARD! If LUCK is not there draft the best DLINEMAN or LINEBACKER you can get.

Oh and the SEC is the worst tackling conference in america. tough to watch

LOL!!!! :lol::D:lol:

Great stuff; thanks for this! :thumbsup:

I'm betting Ponder ends up going in the early 3rd. Our big board has him at #114. A 4th rounder might be Gabbert or Stanzi. I'll take Ponder in the 3rd if you think he's better than Brohm. Which we don't know. It's not like he'll be in there in the 4th quarter for cleanup duty vs. PGH.

I'm betting Ponder ends up going in the early 3rd. Our big board has him at #114. A 4th rounder might be Gabbert or Stanzi. I'll take Ponder in the 3rd if you think he's better than Brohm. Which we don't know. It's not like he'll be in there in the 4th quarter for cleanup duty vs. PGH.

I have no clue how he compares to Brohm, because i didn't watch Brohm in college and there's virtually no NFL game film on him. When it all comes down to it, Ponder has just about all of the physical tools to succeed, and he's smart as hell. He' never done anything besides bust his ass to make himself a better QB.

Now, someone just needs to teach him to slide. :)

If i had to guess, i think someone is going to get a damn good QB around pick 50-90

No thank you.

I'd rather have Christian Ponder in the 4th.

Your expectations may be too high. Mallet is a gunslinger like Jim Kelly. You have to take the bad with the good. Kelly averaged 21.5 TDs per season in his Bills' career but also averaged 16 INTs.

As we've seen, most of the college QBs with amazing college stats (Colt Brennan, Timmy Chang, Chase Clement, Kingsbury, Graham Harrell, etc.) are products of their systems and don't make it in the NFL. QBs from the major conferences, with less impressive college numbers, are usually the ones that make it, especially because of the competition they face.

I like watching the lineman. D Love is flipping to the play side on some of these runs and has been housing dudes. Even the announcers are starting to notice it. Id take Love over Mallet all day. Bewteen him, Carimi, Bamas Carpenter, and Moffite the Wisc G, there are a lot of OLman I like this year. Maybe we will draft some for once!

Edited by Thoner7

Fine by me.

If we draft a QB in 2011, I'd rather it not be in the first three rounds. If they take one in the fourth (a project), I can be on board.

I don't see it happening though with Brohm and Brown waiting in the wings, just speculation.

Taking a QB in the 4th or later could be part of a good strategy. You could get yourself a good depth player if you're not satisfied with Brohm + Brown as your backups. There's even a chance--however small--of getting a QB who'd be an upgrade to Fitz. (And in the likely event that he doesn't prove to be an upgrade, all you've lost is a 4th rounder.)

But the quarterbacks with a solid chance to be an upgrade over Fitz--such as Luck and Ponder--will go much earlier in the draft. My first choice would be to do whatever the Bills have to do to get Luck on the team. My second would be Ponder: a QB who, like Ramius said, is a very smart, hard-working, accurate, tough QB.

As for Mallett: the video that started this thread made me like him more, not less. Mallett watched the tape of each of his past performances, saw there was a problem with his emotional approach, owned up to it, and started to do what he could to fix it. That puts him above the Ryan Leaf level, at least to me. He's still not someone I personally would draft in the first round, and I'm not convinced he could provide a significant upgrade over Fitz. But I could see him having a decent career--possibly the 20th best starting QB, or something like that.

Taking a QB in the 4th or later could be part of a good strategy. You could get yourself a good depth player if you're not satisfied with Brohm + Brown as your backups. There's even a chance--however small--of getting a QB who'd be an upgrade to Fitz. (And in the likely event that he doesn't prove to be an upgrade, all you've lost is a 4th rounder.)

But the quarterbacks with a solid chance to be an upgrade over Fitz--such as Luck and Ponder--will go much earlier in the draft. My first choice would be to do whatever the Bills have to do to get Luck on the team. My second would be Ponder: a QB who, like Ramius said, is a very smart, hard-working, accurate, tough QB.

As for Mallett: the video that started this thread made me like him more, not less. Mallett watched the tape of each of his past performances, saw there was a problem with his emotional approach, owned up to it, and started to do what he could to fix it. That puts him above the Ryan Leaf level, at least to me. He's still not someone I personally would draft in the first round, and I'm not convinced he could provide a significant upgrade over Fitz. But I could see him having a decent career--possibly the 20th best starting QB, or something like that.

Mallet did nothing to impress me in the LSU game.

He had a touchdown pass up the sideline that likely gets picked in the NFL, and his other long TD pass, the one to end the first half, benefited greatly from two defenders knocking each other senseless. He threw two bad picks, and I know that it was against a good LSU defense, but I saw no evidence of a QB who can make all the throws, who can put the ball in a tight space, through defenders, on a line, when it matters.

No thank you, unless, of course, he falls to the fourth.

I love how the Bills went seasons between QBs that threw for a single 300 yard game and now MAllett's 320 yard 3TD performance against the number 5 team in the country is not good enough for Bills fans.

Big Cat, your trolling once again hooks fish.

I love how the Bills went seasons between QBs that threw for a single 300 yard game and now MAllett's 320 yard 3TD performance against the number 5 team in the country is not good enough for Bills fans.

Did you watch the game?

EDIT: 13/23 for 320 yards. Two long catch and runs, one of 80 yards (suspect pass against a professional secondary) and one for 85 yards (two defenders took each other out).

take away those 165 yards and he's 11/21 for 155. Wow. Sweet stat line. And you people gripe about Fitz being 0.2% under 60...

Edited by The Big Cat

College stats are useless when projecting how good a player will be in NFL. I guess you must like this SEC QB: 232/342, 3129 yd, 67.8%, 28 TD, 8 INT with a BCS bowl win and Sugar bowl MVP since this QB has a pretty similar stats to Mallet's.

BTW, in case your are wondering, this QB's name is JaMarcus Russell.

I didn't see this game, but I'll just say that anyone who was making the point that we shouldn't draft Mallett, I totally agree! :w00t:

Oh, and that video was an interesting piece. I'm obviously biased in favor of NOT drafting this guy, but the last thing we need in B-lo is an immaturity issue. That's great that he's embarrassed at some of his past behavior and that he's trying to overcome it, but there is the Phillip Rivers type of emotional leadership and there's the Ryan Leaf version. Mallett's is probably somewhere in between, but leans more toward the Leaf version, IMO.

He had a touchdown pass up the sideline that likely gets picked in the NFL, and his other long TD pass, the one to end the first half, benefited greatly from two defenders knocking each other senseless. He threw two bad picks, and I know that it was against a good LSU defense, but I saw no evidence of a QB who can make all the throws, who can put the ball in a tight space, through defenders, on a line, when it matters.

I tend to disagree with you mostly, but you are 100% right here. Pass on him. Cue Senator attacking me, 3..2..1..

Edited by stony

No thank you.

I'd rather have Christian Ponder in the 4th.

did you watch today's game against LSU,great post i think he threw for only 4 TD's,your post is clueless.

i think i know why its clueless its because your blinded by your boy friend Fitz.

you people really crack me up.

next you'll be saying he is as good as Brady,ben or manning. try getting real.

mallett was downright great today.

but then who wants a QB who is 6/8 238 has a rocket arm played collage in a pro style offense and has only thrown 30 TD passes when we can have Fitz,you guys are a joke.

I tend to disagree with you mostly, but you are 100% right here. Pass on him. Cue Senator attacking me, 3..2..1..

Then a consensus it is! Thanks for the preface! :beer:

did you watch today's game against LSU,great post i think he threw for only 4 TD's,your post is clueless.

i think i know why its clueless its because your blinded by your boy friend Fitz.

you people really crack me up.

next you'll be saying he is as good as Brady,ben or manning. try getting real.

mallett was downright great today.

but then who wants a QB who is 6/8 238 has a rocket arm played collage in a pro style offense and has only thrown 30 TD passes when we can have Fitz,you guys are a joke.

you think he threw 4 TD's, huh? Try 3. And two picks. Two really, really bad picks.

the guy was tremendously underwhelming today, and you clearly didn't watch the game.

sure, i'm blinded by my friend fitzmagic, you know, the qb on pace to throw for the second most TD's in franchise history. what a bum.

Then a consensus it is! Thanks for the preface! :beer:

you think he threw 4 TD's, huh? Try 3. And two picks. Two really, really bad picks.

the guy was tremendously underwhelming today, and you clearly didn't watch the game.

sure, i'm blinded by my friend fitzmagic, you know, the qb on pace to throw for the second most TD's in franchise history. what a bum.

I wouldn't say you're blinded by Fitzmagic, Cat. Not at all.

I'd say you're blinded by too much Cabo Wabo :beer:

He had a touchdown pass up the sideline that likely gets picked in the NFL, and his other long TD pass, the one to end the first half, benefited greatly from two defenders knocking each other senseless.

He threw that pass effortlessly over the middle with perfect touch, and just the right amount of air under it. One defender was in front of the receiver, and Mallett dropped the football exactly where it had to be. I can't come up with a rational reason why this pass wasn't good enough for you.

He is raw, needs to be coached up, and needs to listen to an offensive mind such as Gailey. When Gailey tells a kid like Mallett something, he will be right. If a well coached and developed Mallett was on the Bills, teams would have to keep a safety WAY back, for fear of a 75 yard bomb to Evans. This would free up other receivers, perhaps even strengthen the running game by having defenders play off the line. He, imo, is THAT talented.

You can insult this kid (and/or his ability) as you will, but my guess is the scouts were mighty impressed with his outing today.

:ph34r:

Mallett could throw Fiedler farther than Fiedler could throw a football.

CAM NEWTON is our new Bills QB :thumbsup: ....END DEBATE! :thumbsup:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really think we might end up with Newton. Although the idea repulsed me at first, I am beginning to warm up to the guy. He appears to be able to make all the throws, and has the ability to take off down the field if no one is open. If he is there in the second, I say why not? He could learn under fitz for a season or two. The only way I would be opposed to taking him in round 2, would be if a worthy OT fell to us.

I was at the game today and I didn't think Mallet looked crisp wish some of his passes. His INT in the end zone and other one were under thrown, but he does have a gun for an arm. His TD pass on 4th and 3 was beautiful. Was an awesome game and the atmosphere was electric. He needs to be in an NFL offense where he can get the throws off quickly. I just don't know how durable he'd be.

I wouldn't say you're blinded by Fitzmagic, Cat. Not at all.

I'd say you're blinded by too much Cabo Wabo :beer:

Hahaha, I wish!

:ph34r:

Nicely done.

He threw that pass effortlessly over the middle with perfect touch, and just the right amount of air under it. One defender was in front of the receiver, and Mallett dropped the football exactly where it had to be. I can't come up with a rational reason why this pass wasn't good enough for you.

He is raw, needs to be coached up, and needs to listen to an offensive mind such as Gailey. When Gailey tells a kid like Mallett something, he will be right. If a well coached and developed Mallett was on the Bills, teams would have to keep a safety WAY back, for fear of a 75 yard bomb to Evans. This would free up other receivers, perhaps even strengthen the running game by having defenders play off the line. He, imo, is THAT talented.

You can insult this kid (and/or his ability) as you will, but my guess is the scouts were mighty impressed with his outing today.

Don't get me wrong, the pass was very, very nice. But 80 yards on the stat sheet belies how "great" it was.

I also have no doubt that Gailey could coach him to greatness. But I don't think his potential is worth our first pick, and it's looking like he won't be around for our second. So, if we're talking about Mallet as our first pick, as I suspect we are, I maintain: no thanks.