Is Everybody Happy With Gailey?

When I look over the posts here, I see relatively few that are specifically about Chan Gailey. I think he deserves alot more praise than what I have seen here. The guy is doing a great job, I don't care what the record is. I see an offense that has been nowhere for years, that has been transformed into an offense that, at times, is a juggernaut. After the first few games I thought Chan might have a heart attack by mid-season, but he seems to be able to identify the root of the problems, and knows how to teach the players. I think the players have really shown him something, and have earned his respect.

Let's give Chan some props!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I look over the posts here, I see relatively few that are specifically about Chan Gailey. I think he deserves alot more praise than what I have seen here. The guy is doing a great job, I don't care what the record is. I see an offense that has been nowhere for years, that has been transformed into an offense that, at times, is a juggernaut. After the first few games I thought Chan might have a heart attack by mid-season, but he seems to be able to identify the root of the problems, and knows how to teach the players. I think the players have really shown him something, and have earned his respect.

Let's give Chan some props!

Happy is an understatement. a few great things to say about him:

1.) The guy is the anti-jauron - he is straightforward and comes off very football smart, not to mention, he's had a few comedic moments

2.) he has done a few of the things he has set out to do - improving 3rd downs, red zone Offense and pre snap penalties

3.) he isn't afraid to game plan around personnel and not fit guys into a "system"

4.) he has somehow, someway kept this team not only in contention with good teams lately, but with beating team they should beat. They've had some "pretty" losses and an ugly win, but they have beaten 2 teams now they are better than

5.) the man looks like he has a plan and he actually appears to have instilled in the players a desire to win and a hope that they can win. we might lose to the steelers next week, but this team hasnt and won't lie down under him.

Negatives -

1.) i've rarely seen us run for it on 3 and 2. I am guessing we just aren't a smash mouth enough team to do it

2.) in his PC he seems to really put all the defense on Edwards. Thats fine, except our defense sucks. I don't think Edwards is a bad coach - remember a LOT of us hated Fewells system when he first got here too. The players seem to be picking up what Edwards is trying to do (though its been against bad teams....)

3.) He appears fairly willing to go pass-happy, though it can be stated fitz audibles out of runs at times.

thats really it. He is a classy guy who wears his emotions on his sleeves. He is a respectful, hard working, no non-sense kind of coach and I like that. If I had to make a comparison he'd be a cross between dungy (for his faith, preferance for character guys) and Schott (wins everywhere he goes but not hte big one - see Dallas, GT, etc - and works his team and players very, very hard on fundamentals ) - unlike marty in that well he passes like crazy, which is the anti-thesis of marty ball....

ESPN the Mag had a great article a year or two ago about how the best coach for an NFL team is someone on his 2nd stint as an HC in the NFL with a lot of HC experience in other levels. They mentioned Marty Mornehwieg as the next mostly likely to succeed like Dungy, Bellicheck, Vermiel, Levy, etc as a coach who really picks it up his 2nd time around..... Well - Gailey has probably been over-looked but the guys is showing me something. this is still a 2-8 team, but frankly, I feel a LOT better about the direction this team is going then any 7-9 squad under DJ.

The defensive adjustments at halftime have been solid against the Bengals of course and especially the Chiefs. I think that we have a particularly weak linebacking group and this is hurting but there is season left to be had and if I have anything, it is an understanding that the chalkboard discussions at half time will have some positive effect.

I like him better, that's for sure.

He runs a good offense, I like his attitude, he gets his guys fired up to play.

That being said... he's also coaching the team to a worse record than the previous guy we fired...

So... I really don't know what to think. I'm willing to give him a few years though, I understand it takes time to install new systems etc.

One thing is for sure Chan has turned over the roster on this team getting rid of lots of dead weight.

1. Steve Johnson better than Josh Reed and even T.O. ?

2. Alex Carrington better than Ryan Denney.

3. Ryan Fitz Better than Trent Edwards.

4. Fred Jackson Better than Marshawn Lynch

We still have some guys that need to go like McCargo, Maybin and Kelsey, Stroud, and if he keeps missing FG's Ryan Lindell.

One thing is for sure Chan has turned over the roster on this team getting rid of lots of dead weight.

1. Steve Johnson better than Josh Reed and even T.O. ?

2. Alex Carrington better than Ryan Denney.

3. Ryan Fitz Better than Trent Edwards.

4. Fred Jackson Better than Marshawn Lynch

We still have some guys that need to go like McCargo, Maybin and Kelsey, Stroud, and if he keeps missing FG's Ryan Lindell.

Kelsay had a fine game yesterday - and has actually been playing well.

(Of course, that's JMO - I'm about the only one that didn't wig out when his contract was extended.)

he's doing 100x more on offense with arguably the same (if not less) talent. That is a real positive. Once they get some more defensive talent this team may be closer than we think...hard to not give him high marks after yesterday's performance. I'm at the point now where Fitz should be the QB next year. No way a rookie will perform as well. Go get the biggest, baddest, fastest DE that can get to QBs.

When the Bills were shopping for a HC my 1st choice was Shottenheimer, but I was happy with CG when Marty was passed on. I liked what he did offensively throughout his career, and it seems he's making great progress with it here. A HC is only as good as his supporting staff and while there remain questions about our DC I feel the biggest problem there is with personnel, or lack there of. This team has adopted a never say die attitude which is easy to identify with. Is this CG or Fitz's doing? Maybe a combo of both. I'm hoping to see continued progress and an improvement in talent and depth with the up coming draft. I would live to see some impact players on "D" appear come draft day.

I'm happy with him. I expected the defense to be a disaster (as the run defense has been for a long time) since Jauron loaded up on lighter players. I thought the offense would take longer to turn around than the defense would and I expect about two full seasons before we saw a decent defense so I'm pleasantly surprised by that.

I'm really happy that he and Nix seem to have a good working relationship and work with each other. Even Mr. Negative himself, Sullivan, wrote about how all these 'no name' guys are making plays. I hope we'll see something similar on defense next season. This is what makes me the happiest because it seems like Gailey can coach and use players. If they don't work out, he has no problem saying, 'bye-bye'.

Very bad intital moves, Kelsey to linebacker, Lynch starting, Edwards starting

Impressive that he will admit a mistake and try something new... Kelsey to DE, Jackson back to starting RB (what was he thinking with Lynch?) and of course getting rid of Edwards.

Mixed feelings about him but this is the most offense we have seen in a while. Time will tell.

Impressive that he will admit a mistake and try something new... Kelsey to DE, Jackson back to starting RB (what was he thinking with Lynch?) and of course getting rid of Edwards.

Mixed feelings about him but this is the most offense we have seen in a while. Time will tell.

Based on what happened next concerning the players mentioned:

Edwards on waivers

Lynch traded to Seattle

I could almost say they were being showcased. Only problem was Edwards did so bad no one would have traded for him.

No credit for changing the entire culture and attitude of this team? Turning them around from the soft, "losing is ok since its hard to win" bunch who didnt care either way, to this band of fighters and scrappers who never give up?!?

THAT was one of the things I wanted to see from this regime. I didnt expect much in the W-L column, but I wanted to see 1. A MAJOR attitude change, 2. Adjustments at halftime, 3. Better playcalling and gameplanning that goes towards our strengths and the opponents weaknesses, 4. Better, or actual, clock and gameday management.

So far, Ive seen all 4 on a regular basis.

He inherited a pile of crap, and I believe had to spend the first quarter of the season figuring out who the real stinky turds were. I cant fault him on personnel moves when they werent his guys.