Lets Build Around Fitz!

AF88Bills

So tell me later in that game when we are driving for the winning score, wide open receiver in the middle of the field and FItz throws the ball 15 feet over his head for the interception.

He has had numerous chances to when the game is on the line and has not performed.

Below is a list of the pass defenses we have faced this year and their ranks. We have faced only 1 top 10 defense and 2 inside the top 15. The stats do not look that impressive in that light.

Rk Team

10 Baltimore Ravens

14 Miami Dolphins

16 Green Bay Packers

17 New York Jets

19 Chicago Bears

22 Kansas City Chiefs

28 Jacksonville Jaguars

30 New England Patriots

Those rankings are ypg. Whoopty ****. Sorting by this stat puts us at the 6th best pass defense in the league. DO YOU THINK WE HAVE THE 6TH BEST PASS DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE?

When Fits starts actually winning some games when it's on the line (he's certainly had has chances), you be sure to let me know.

That's the difference between Fit z and Peyton - Peyton is, often times, the hero and Fitz isn't. One guy has a Super Bowl Ring and will be a first ballot hall of famer, the other will be an offensive quality control coach for the Cleveland Browns 3 years from now.

So he's had six tries, you've seen enough, time to move on. Got it.

So tell me later in that game when we are driving for the winning score, wide open receiver in the middle of the field and FItz throws the ball 15 feet over his head for the interception.

He has had numerous chances to when the game is on the line and has not performed.

Below is a list of the pass defenses we have faced this year and their ranks. We have faced only 1 top 10 defense and 2 inside the top 15. The stats do not look that impressive in that light.

Rk Team

10 Baltimore Ravens

14 Miami Dolphins

16 Green Bay Packers

17 New York Jets

19 Chicago Bears

22 Kansas City Chiefs

28 Jacksonville Jaguars

30 New England Patriots

lol, i don't know where you got your numbers from...are you talking about strictly pass-defenses in the league? If you are, I think the Bills rank 6th in the league on pass defense...not a great indicator of our overall defense would you say?

Least points allowed per game in the league:

New York Jets ranked #2

Bears ranked #3

Packers ranked #5

Ravens ranked #6

Chiefs ranked #7

Dolphins at #18

Pats #24

Jags#30

Those rankings are ypg. Whoopty ****. Sorting by this stat puts us at the 6th best pass defense in the league. DO YOU THINK WE HAVE THE 6TH BEST PASS DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE?

It's pointless to argue man..they even go out of their way to skew stats that are meaningless just to prove their ridiculous points..

Yes I do. We have damn good corners and secondary. One of the best in the league. BUT our run D is atrocious.

With Fitz we know what we have, and he is already at his top level. YOu cannot dismiss the gact that when we need him to step up big, he throws costly int's. Go back and look at every game this year he played in.

The difference between good and great qb's is that they make the plays when you need them. Fitz is a baller, I will give him that. He is not the Guy i want leading me to the future.

What i find interesting is that we would even blame Fitz (and I am hearing it on the radio and here) for this loss.

Would people rather that the bills had stuck with Trent Edwards and his 5 yard passes and hopefully get a field goal?

- Fitz actually takes shots at the end zone.....he tries to WIN

- He throws the ball into tight spots

- When you throw the ball into tight spots sometimes it gets pick

- This is why he needs a Tight End safety valve.....Tight Ends tend to come up with balls in traffic better.

We can win with Fitz....he is respected in the locker room and is a good fit for Gailey's offense. If we could run the ball OR if we could have created turnovers we win this game.

We get NO pressure on opposing QB's....I mean ZERO that is why we lose. That and we have maybe ONE NFL caliber linebacker (and maybe two now with Merriman)

We should have drafted Gronkowski @2 instead of Troupe, which would have given us a great talent and a local guy plus stolen him one pick ahead of the pats :nana:

Definitely need a pass rusher and Robert Quinn could be had if we trade back and then use the extra pick to trade back into the first to get LOT Anthony Castonzo from Boston College.

Yes I do. We have damn good corners and secondary. One of the best in the league. BUT our run D is atrocious.

With Fitz we know what we have, and he is already at his top level. YOu cannot dismiss the gact that when we need him to step up big, he throws costly int's. Go back and look at every game this year he played in.

The difference between good and great qb's is that they make the plays when you need them. Fitz is a baller, I will give him that. He is not the Guy i want leading me to the future.

Step up big, you mean like when he went 9-11 for over 100 yards on 3rd down today?

You think we have one of the best pass D's in the league. Too bad you left the window open, your last speck of credibility has just been whisked away.

Although Fitz his getting his @ss handed to him today but the fans...I agree with this.

John, what Fitz is getting is mostly deserved. When we "need" the big play, the accurate throw, long or short, he goes wildly inaccurate. Most do appreciate the rest of his game, but it is maddeningly frustration to watch high throw after wild throw in the dirt, over the head, or into the opponents hands at key moments of the game.

I like the guy, his never quit play, but he's a heartbreaker who will get you close and then let you down.

He has actually had 3 years of being a starting QB, and I cannot tell you 1 memorale win where Fitz steppd up and won his team the game.

Fitz is a gamer but he has proven time and time again that he cannot win on a consistent basis. He has all the mental tools but his physical limitations kill any chance of him being a franchise QB. He is a good stop gap qb to teach a young guy (Luck Mallett) to play in the NFL, but he is not the franchise

You agreed with someone who compared Fitz to Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, yet i have no cred?

He has actually had 3 years of being a starting QB, and I cannot tell you 1 memorale win where Fitz steppd up and won his team the game.

Okay, I'll show you three, two of them for Buffalo.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=FitzRy00

Sorry, forgot the link.

Edited by The Big Cat

I think this is why Buffalo still has fans - there's always some people who really think any given guy just needs a few more chances and he's gonna be the answer - the same people who supported Trent Edwards, JP Losman, Kelly Holcomb....as fans we never actually seem to demand more - it seems like if you try hard and put forth a good effort that's good enough. That's great for Pop Warner, but this is the NFL - I don't care how hard you try, how much you really want to win, how nice of a guy you are - it's about winning and when you blow your last three chances I'm not giving you a pass and I'm certainly not willing to say we can build a team around you...

I think this is why Buffalo still has fans - there's always some people who really think any given guy just needs a few more chances and he's gonna be the answer - the same people who supported Trent Edwards, JP Losman, Kelly Holcomb....as fans we never actually seem to demand more - it seems like if you try hard and put forth a good effort that's good enough. That's great for Pop Warner, but this is the NFL - I don't care how hard you try, how much you really want to win, how nice of a guy you are - it's about winning and when you blow your last three chances I'm not giving you a pass and I'm certainly not willing to say we can build a team around you...

Blew chances to win you say, but against Baltimore and KC he was THE reason we "had the chance." In both of those games we were LOSING before he led FG and TD drives late in the game that even gave us a prayer to begin with.

The Colts have have one of the worst defenses in the league for a while now, Yet they are a constant threat to go to the superbowl. The reason is they have one of the best QB's to ever play the game.

The Patriots have the 30th ranked D this year, yet are on top of the Division (or at least tied for) because (and is much as it pains me to say this) they have one of the best QB's in the game.

Maybe you should root for the Patsies then?

The Colts have have one of the worst defenses in the league for a while now, Yet they are a constant threat to go to the superbowl. The reason is they have one of the best QB's to ever play the game.

The Patriots have the 30th ranked D this year, yet are on top of the Division (or at least tied for) because (and is much as it pains me to say this) they have one of the best QB's in the game.

So the most reasonable course of action would be to rely on the draft for the next Manning or Brady to fall onto our roster. Yeah.

Maybe you should root for the Patsies then?

Right, because every fan of the team that does not beleieve in FItz should go become a fan of the Pats* :rolleyes:

So the most reasonable course of action would be to rely on the draft for the next Manning or Brady to fall onto our roster. Yeah.

If you have the chance to draft a QB of that caliber then you do it, plain and simple.

I think today was another example of how we've got some solid building blocks for the future. Today Fitz showed how he's a solid QB that can carry this franchise into the future with a few additional pieces. I believe he's also to keep getting better with more game experience because of the continuity with Gailey. I would argue that the Bills have a solid complement of skill players, but have neglected the trenches for too long. If I had my druthers, I'd look to the highest rated tackle next year, or D-Lineman with their first round pick. Thoughts?

Thoughts? Well, I have to ask you a question before I give you any "thoughts"; Did you watch the Bears-Bills game on Fox today that started at 1:00 PM, when referring to Fitz as a "solid QB that can carry this franchise into the future..."? :blink::oops::doh:

Because my "thoughts" are that if Fitz had a real NFL arm, the Bills would have won that game going away. In one drive alone, he under and over threw open receivers about 4 times, any of which might have been run in for TD's individually!

My friend, most of us on this board love the Bills as much as you do. But you have to come back into reality. Fitz cannot lead a franchise anywhere with that inaccurate arm of his, regardless of how mobile, tough or Harvard-smart he is. You might like to pretend he's a "gunslinger like Jim Kelly". In truth, he would not have beaten out Frank Reich during Jimbo's Hall of Fame career with the Bills!

Edited by BillsPhan

Yes his 22 college games have secured him in the annuls of NFL greatness. :wallbash:

I dont know how to respond to this, I am completly dumbfounded. You asked who i wanted to draft. I say Luck then you come back with that?

What has fitz done in his 30 NFL starts to prove he is the real deal? What is his W-L record

I agree that with Fitz at the helm we don't need Ralph or any one else upstairs to repeat what we've done in the past, such as pull the trigger to soon on say a JP Losman type (Locker) or a Rob (num nuts) Johnson bone head deal again .

With Fitz we have the luxury of breathing space & have a guy that the rest of the team feels is a good leader , add the fact that we have 2 guys still learning by his example & no one truely knows what skills they may possess we may be sitting in a great spot ??

Along with a couple of Patriot type moves (trading Evans for draft picks or possibly to Philly for Kolb or Vick deal) moving Stroud & Kelsay to develop younger more upside players i think the Bills would be in it next year .

But i have faith that Ralph will be his typical medaling self and pull his ownership weight, tell Nix & Gailey to do something they'd rather not - draft Locker for way to much money to prove to the fans he wants to win (rather than listen to the people he hired for that stuff) & not draft other needed players (LT,DT,LB) first & we'll have another QB so we'll have to get rid of one that we know virtually nothing about before we have a real chance to see any potential they might have .

If Ralph just stays out of it & let's Nix & Gailey do this the Bills will be a good team again . We are that close to being there . Wouldn't it be great if Merriman was the piece to get us to 8 & 8 --- stranger things have happened -- i can't remember what but they have .

Or maybe we as fans should aspire to something better than being satisfied with trying hard and "playing with heart"....where has that gotten us?

If heart has nothing to do with it, what keeps YOU rooting for the Bills? It'd be a lot easier on you to just go out and buy some Brady gear, or jump onto whichever bandwagon is the most attractive at that moment.

If you are ever going to get any real enjoyment out of a championship, you have to have internalized the team as yours even when the chips are down.

When you play Madden do you just run all the stats up to 99, then dance around when you when the Madden superbowl 124-0? Would you be all pleased if they cut all our current players and put together a Yankees-style championship machine if that were possible? Wouldnt that be just empty as f@#k?

I want to win with OUR guys. I root for THIS team. They may not have won yet, or even put together a complete game, but Im seeing what i want to see out of them for the most part. Theyve been making me proud lately, despite the record.

I think Fitz looks like a QB that can win in this game!!! Some of his "crunch time" ints have been tipped balls!!! Same thing happened today. I think we draft a young QB and keep Fitz around until the young guy is ready. If we had any bit of a pass rush, an O-Line that provided protection and didn't hold on every positive gain we would be 5 and 3 right now!

Even though this team is 0-8, it is not the worse team in the league!!!!

I think today was another example of how we've got some solid building blocks for the future. Today Fitz showed how he's a solid QB that can carry this franchise into the future with a few additional pieces. I believe he's also to keep getting better with more game experience because of the continuity with Gailey. I would argue that the Bills have a solid complement of skill players, but have neglected the trenches for too long. If I had my druthers, I'd look to the highest rated tackle next year, or D-Lineman with their first round pick. Thoughts?

Here is a Fitz stat for you: as much as you guys love Fitz there is one man who loves him 100X more: RALPH WILSON!

He must be kissing the ground that Fitzy walks on! I mean he can actually sell NOT drafting a QB with the top 5 pick they'll have and many of the fans will applaud him for it!

ralph will order the top pick be traded away for peanuts so he doesn't have to pay a hefty top pick contract. it's the only way he can keep this circus act going just the way he planned... even though they probably would be better off trading out of the number one spot to get more picks. this team is far from a top draft pick away from ever tasting the playoffs again. spend little, make money, who cares if we win... ralph's motto

There is going to be around 50% of people on this board that will blindly support whoever the Bills starting quarterback is, because gosh darn it, that's how you prove you are a real fan.

The other 50% watch the games a bit more critically and see some of the nuances that the others miss. Like the numerous game-killing turnovers in the clutch, for instance.

Spritzy is a great stop-gap until our real franchise QB comes along. He will be a great tutor, sharing all of his big brain thinking with a young quarterback with the physical tools that will hopefully not betray him in the key moments of games.

The Kool-Aid crew, ironically mostly the same folks who predicted the Bills would shock the world with a resurgent Trent Edwards and electrifying C.J. Spiller, pointed to Fitzpatricks QB rating. He was #2 in the NFL! You all are going to eat your words when he makes the Pro Bowl!

The more sensible among us insisted that you'd see a statistical correction back to his proven (substandard) career numbers. And we were right. Spritzy is back in the bottom half of NFL QB rating and falling. This will be a moot point at the end of the season when we see how far he has fallen. The pick will be obvious.

Nice, well spoken (and non-dog killing) fellow, and a real competitor that guy is. I wish we were friends, I bet he is great to hang around with. Just stinks that he consistently 'Goes on the Fritz' in the key moments of close games.

Edited by akm0404

Just stinks that he consistently 'Goes on the Fritz' in the key moments of close games.

Better watch what you say around here, you will get called an idiot or a moron for having a difference in opinion. Funny how when he goes on the fritz, all who blindly support him, agree that it is never fitz's fault. Ever.

Better watch what you say around here, you will get called an idiot or a moron for having a difference in opinion. Funny how when he goes on the fritz, all who blindly support him, agree that it is never fitz's fault. Ever.

As someone fanning the Fitz sucks in the clutch flames, can I just ask that we inject some perspective into the conversation?

The underthown ball to Johnson, bad. Okay, fine.

The tipped pass to Donald Jones that ended the game, also pretty bad.

But let's see: the final drive of the game, the drive in which Fitz evidently was expected to march us down and score, started with our heels in our endzone, with less than one minute on the clock and with no timeouts. Mmmkay. Just how many quarterbacks in this league consistently succeed under those circumstances? 1? 3? 5? May be. 10? NO WAY!

I think any Bills fan is willing to concede that he didn't "come through in the clutch" but that's a clutch with a capital, 144 point "c."

If we're expecting to have a quarterback who can be relied upon in those situations, we're setting ourselves up for disappointment.

If heart has nothing to do with it, what keeps YOU rooting for the Bills? It'd be a lot easier on you to just go out and buy some Brady gear, or jump onto whichever bandwagon is the most attractive at that moment.

If you are ever going to get any real enjoyment out of a championship, you have to have internalized the team as yours even when the chips are down.

When you play Madden do you just run all the stats up to 99, then dance around when you when the Madden superbowl 124-0? Would you be all pleased if they cut all our current players and put together a Yankees-style championship machine if that were possible? Wouldnt that be just empty as f@#k?

I want to win with OUR guys. I root for THIS team. They may not have won yet, or even put together a complete game, but Im seeing what i want to see out of them for the most part. Theyve been making me proud lately, despite the record.

Ah yes, the old standby "I suffer more for my team therefore I'm a bigger fan" argument - that never gets old, does it? So God forbid you'd demand more out of team than just trying hard. I suppose we should just award all of our players a participation ribbon for getting out on the field and watch with pride as they come up short every week and go 0-16 - at least we'll be able to call ourselves fans then.....

There is going to be around 50% of people on this board that will blindly support whoever the Bills starting quarterback is, because gosh darn it, that's how you prove you are a real fan.

The other 50% watch the games a bit more critically and see some of the nuances that the others miss. Like the numerous game-killing turnovers in the clutch, for instance.

Spritzy is a great stop-gap until our real franchise QB comes along. He will be a great tutor, sharing all of his big brain thinking with a young quarterback with the physical tools that will hopefully not betray him in the key moments of games.

The Kool-Aid crew, ironically mostly the same folks who predicted the Bills would shock the world with a resurgent Trent Edwards and electrifying C.J. Spiller, pointed to Fitzpatricks QB rating. He was #2 in the NFL! You all are going to eat your words when he makes the Pro Bowl!

The more sensible among us insisted that you'd see a statistical correction back to his proven (substandard) career numbers. And we were right. Spritzy is back in the bottom half of NFL QB rating and falling. This will be a moot point at the end of the season when we see how far he has fallen. The pick will be obvious.

Nice, well spoken (and non-dog killing) fellow, and a real competitor that guy is. I wish we were friends, I bet he is great to hang around with. Just stinks that he consistently 'Goes on the Fritz' in the key moments of close games.

Wow. Self-righteous much? This post is off the charts on the unintentional comedy scale.

You claim to be one of the few intelligent fans around capable of noticing subtle nuances yet you are so clearly wrong about almost everything Fitzpatrick related.

Fitzpatrick has all the mental abilities you'd want in an NFL quarterback. He also has plenty of arm strength and is generally highly accurate. He also is an above average scrambler who avoids sacks and makes his offensive line look pretty decent. A few times every game his mechanics will break down and the resulting throw will make you scratch your head in wonder. Mechanics can be fixed, especially considering most of the time they're already fine. If Fitzpatrick put up the exact same performances but he came out of USC and was drafted in the first round, fans and media alike would be proclaiming him a star in the making.

We'll talk again at the end of the year when his numbers are well above average and he's won enough games to jeopardize our chance of getting the #1 overall pick. Which will be a good thing, because the drafting the mythical "franchise quarterback" early in the first round would be disaster.

You claim to be one of the few intelligent fans around

I claimed that I was in the intelligent 50%. Not that I was one of a few. Pleasing to increase reading comprehension.

He...is generally highly accurate.

Hahaha. Ok, now you've lost all credibility.

We'll talk again at the end of the year when his numbers are well above average

That ship has already sailed.

Draft Luck if he is available regardless of how well Fitz plays this year

If we have a chance to draft a potential franchise QB to head our Bills for the next 15 years , we would be stupid to pass him up.

We hopefully won't be drafting top 3 again next year , so this is our year to take a QB high , that may have the potential to be

the difference between elite and good.

Finally , let him sit behind Fitz and learn and if Fitz doesn't pan out how we hope , then we are set

and ready to go with a new qb.