Lets Build Around Fitz!

AF88Bills

I think today was another example of how we've got some solid building blocks for the future. Today Fitz showed how he's a solid QB that can carry this franchise into the future with a few additional pieces. I believe he's also to keep getting better with more game experience because of the continuity with Gailey. I would argue that the Bills have a solid complement of skill players, but have neglected the trenches for too long. If I had my druthers, I'd look to the highest rated tackle next year, or D-Lineman with their first round pick. Thoughts?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree as well. That turnover was costly today as it ultimately led to a TD that gave the Bears the lead, but Fitz is our entire offense out there. When you have to throw near 50 times, you're going to make mistakes in those 50 attempts. The bears have a good D, it happens.

Our primary downfall today was the absolute lack of a run game to compliment Fitz. Also, Fred Jackson had a pretty bad game, highlighted by that fumble which led to a TD as well.

Fitz has done WONDERS for this offense..he's single handedly turned Parrish and Steve Johnson into legit WR's. It's hard to dismiss that he runs this offense better than any QB since Bledsoe. I'm 100% behind him..things will turn around.

You put up Fitz's numbers against any QB in this league, and he's right there with them. Just look at the numbers. I know that a loss is a loss, but compare the way we were losing games with Trent Edwards at QB to how we're losing games with Fitz - we've been in every single game, and these have been some tough games (baltimore away, KC away, etc). This team is playing a lot better, we just have to be patient and build up that defense.

Edited by bobobonators

What i find interesting is that we would even blame Fitz (and I am hearing it on the radio and here) for this loss.

Would people rather that the bills had stuck with Trent Edwards and his 5 yard passes and hopefully get a field goal?

- Fitz actually takes shots at the end zone.....he tries to WIN

- He throws the ball into tight spots

- When you throw the ball into tight spots sometimes it gets pick

- This is why he needs a Tight End safety valve.....Tight Ends tend to come up with balls in traffic better.

We can win with Fitz....he is respected in the locker room and is a good fit for Gailey's offense. If we could run the ball OR if we could have created turnovers we win this game.

We get NO pressure on opposing QB's....I mean ZERO that is why we lose. That and we have maybe ONE NFL caliber linebacker (and maybe two now with Merriman)

What i find interesting is that we would even blame Fitz (and I am hearing it on the radio and here) for this loss.

Would people rather that the bills had stuck with Trent Edwards and his 5 yard passes and hopefully get a field goal?

- Fitz actually takes shots at the end zone.....he tries to WIN

- He throws the ball into tight spots

- When you throw the ball into tight spots sometimes it gets pick

- This is why he needs a Tight End safety valve.....Tight Ends tend to come up with balls in traffic better.

We can win with Fitz....he is respected in the locker room and is a good fit for Gailey's offense. If we could run the ball OR if we could have created turnovers we win this game.

We get NO pressure on opposing QB's....I mean ZERO that is why we lose. That and we have maybe ONE NFL caliber linebacker (and maybe two now with Merriman)

I agree 100%!!! i actually thought the OP was being sarcastic about "building around Fitz" and was going to bash him (like these other idiots are doing), so originally I came here to back up my boy Fitzy and was going to make the same point you just did......good job...glad some people on this board know what they're talking about

I agree 100%!!! i actually thought the OP was being sarcastic about "building around Fitz" and was going to bash him (like these other idiots are doing), so originally I came here to back up my boy Fitzy and was going to make the same point you just did......good job...glad some people on this board know what they're talking about

I'll be the first to admit that Fitz is not Peyton manning...BUT, how frustrating is it to see cutler have 6+ seconds to throw...or to have Bell and Howard getting little to no push on the line.

speaking of the line, at some point today i actually found myself thinking, wow, Fitz hasn't even been sacked in this game yet against the Bears defense...maybe our O-line is starting to improve...they definitely are improving somewhat, but a lot of the credit is due to Fitz knowing what he's doing out there and releasing the ball quickly. This team doesn't have as many negative plays under fitz-he makes quick decisions and gets the ball out of tehre.

We can build around Fitz while we are developing a franchise QB. Fitz is a good QB and an excellent backup.

We will never get to the upper echelon with Fitz unless we can put together the 1985 Chicago Bears defense to go with a powerful running game.

I like Fitz a lot but his accuracy, or lack thereof, is a prominent reason why we did not get a WIN this week or last week.

I'm on board with Fitz as well. No rookie is going to come in here next year and play better.

We lost the opener by 5, the last 3 by 3 and in 2 other loses we scored 26 & 30 points. They're keeping us interested and playing with heart. I was for seeing what Brohm could do, but now I want Fitz to play every play this year. If we're lucky, he'll get these hiccups out of his game by next season and we could have a serious turnaround in fortunes.

I disagre.

I think the last drive clearly shows that while we have a solid backup quarterback, we don't have someone who is going to bring this team to the next level. Simply put, Fitz is too inconsistent. He throws some nice passes into some tough spots but then misses open guys with throws that sail on him or he just puts in the wrong place (too low, behind the receiver, etc.).

What bothers me most is that for the second week in a row with the game within reach he destructed. Last week it was that weird ball slipping out of his hand without even being hit and missing a wide open Spiller, and this week I think Fitz was responsible for the last 3 incompletions down the stretch and the horrible ball that sailed on him and got picked to seal the game. I like Fitz, but I honestly think the guy's a choker and I think that's something that's hard to shed - and something a team that can't shake the stink of losing can ill afford.

I'm on board with Fitz as well. No rookie is going to come in here next year and play better.

We lost the opener by 5, the last 3 by 3 and in 2 other loses we scored 26 & 30 points. They're keeping us interested and playing with heart. I was for seeing what Brohm could do, but now I want Fitz to play every play this year. If we're lucky, he'll get these hiccups out of his game by next season and we could have a serious turnaround in fortunes.

EXACTLY. No rookie is going to come in here and put up this kind of production for 2-3 years...by then they'll be what, 24/25? Fitz is 27 now..big woop.

I disagre.

I think the last drive clearly shows that while we have a solid backup quarterback, we don't have someone who is going to bring this team to the next level. Simply put, Fitz is too inconsistent. He throws some nice passes into some tough spots but then misses open guys with throws that sail on him or he just puts in the wrong place (too low, behind the receiver, etc.).

What bothers me most is that for the second week in a row with the game within reach he destructed. Last week it was that weird ball slipping out of his hand without even being hit and missing a wide open Spiller, and this week I think Fitz was responsible for the last 3 incompletions down the stretch and the horrible ball that sailed on him and got picked to seal the game. I like Fitz, but I honestly think the guy's a choker and I think that's something that's hard to shed - and something a team that can't shake the stink of losing can ill afford.

When you play against the Ravens and the Chiefs on the road, and go to OT, I'd hardly call it "choking," especially when you're playing on the Bills. Nobody expected the bills to be within 10-15 points in those games. I'll admit that some of Fitz's mistakes have been costly at times, but have they been any more costly than Lindell missing a FG to win the game? Or Fred Jackson today fumbling the ball, which led to a TD? I'm not going to run them off the team. Things will turn around man...this entire team has a culture of losing..sometimes it just takes a while to overcome it.

Fitz= nice backup but not the guy who will take you to the promised land. End of discussion.

if you say so, ok. About 90% of the players Fitz plays with on this team aren't going to take anyone to the promised land..but lets single out Fitz, when he's hands-down the ENTIRE OFFENSE on this team.

I'm with you, I think Fitz has the skill set, but we need an offensive line and a defense.

to me the whole things revolves around a lack of a pass rush. Without a pass rush you rarely get turnovers. Our margin for error is so slim because we do not get interceptions any poor throw or mistake is the nail in the coffin. Other QB's who throw picks it's no big deal or just part of the game because they get turnovers too. We do not so Fitz mistakes are magnified or anyone elses.

When you play against the Ravens and the Chiefs on the road, and go to OT, I'd hardly call it "choking," especially when you're playing on the Bills. Nobody expected the bills to be within 10-15 points in those games. I'll admit that some of Fitz's mistakes have been costly at times, but have they been any more costly than Lindell missing a FG to win the game? Or Fred Jackson today fumbling the ball, which led to a TD? I'm not going to run them off the team. Things will turn around man...this entire team has a culture of losing..sometimes it just takes a while to overcome it.

Choking is letting that ball slip like you're some sort of 8 year old girl who doesn't know how to throw a football. Choking is also having open receivers and not putting the ball anywhere near where they can catch it with the game on the line. I admire that the Bills have been in close games against good teams on the road, but I'm not giving Fitz a pass - he has had opportunities to be the hero and has done zip with it - that's choking.