Looking ahead to next year, now that the season is shot

San-O

He took a middle of the road, 19 yrds/game, 16 pts/game defense and turning them into the worst D in the league.

Is it possible the he keeps his job for next year? There are other D coordinators that will get canned that will

have directed much better defenses than what we have here.

<_<

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=SCORING&season=2009&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

It wouldn't shock me to see hiom canned, but switching to the 3-4 and having worse personal than a year ago, certainly made his job all the tougher. I think Schobel retiring hurt more than people realized. Stroud was probably better at DT than DE. What I don't understand is when we play the 4-3, why don't they move Stroud back inside?

He absolutely should get canned, way in over his head, the excuses above about transitions to 3-4 notwithstanding. Plenty of other teams have done without such struggles in year 1.

But he won't, unless some veteran DC that Chan has worked with in the past comes free, and I am not sure who that would even be.

Here is why I think Edwards isn't pulling his weight. Take a look at the Packers. They were in a VERY similar situation to the Bills two seasons ago. They switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense and hired a new defensive coordinator in Dom Capers. In addition, they lost their best pass rusher in Aaron Kampman, and drafted a big NT in Raji. You could say the Bills pulled almost identical moves in hiring a new DC in George Edwards, letting go of Aaron Schobel, and drafting a big NT in Troup (although Raji was a more highly touted prospect).

Anyway, take a look at what their defense did in ONE season.

2008 (before switch to 3-4 defense): 23rd in the league

2009 (after switch to 3-4 defense): 7th in the league

I know this isn't an apples to apples comparison, but it's close enough. Sorry, but George Edwards isn't getting the job done. We've gotten worse against the run AND the pass. We can't create turnovers, players consistently look like they don't know their assignments, and we can't decide on what formation to run. He's got to improve by a lot, or he's a goner. As Jerry Glanville once said, the NFL stands for "Not For Long".

Edited by Got_Wood

Here is why I think Edwards isn't pulling his weight. Take a look at the Packers. They were in a VERY similar situation to the Bills two seasons ago. They switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense and hired a new defensive coordinator in Dom Capers.

Not all coaches are created equal, and when you've got an organizational reputation for winning, it's easier to attract top coordinators like Capers, Mike Nolan, et al. Buffalo ends up with previous DC failure George Edwards because no one wants to work here for an elderly owner who has a franchise that's lost 101 games since 2000.

And credit GB and MIA for making switch to a 34 easier by investing high picks to fill it out. The Packers used their top 2 picks in 09 on true 34 players like Raji and Matthews Jr.

Here is why I think Edwards isn't pulling his weight. Take a look at the Packers. They were in a VERY similar situation to the Bills two seasons ago. They switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense and hired a new defensive coordinator in Dom Capers. In addition, they lost their best pass rusher in Aaron Kampman, and drafted a big NT in Raji. You could say the Bills pulled almost identical moves in hiring a new DC in George Edwards, letting go of Aaron Schobel, and drafting a big NT in Troup (although Raji was a more highly touted prospect).

I know this isn't an apples to apples comparison, but it's close enough. Sorry, but George Edwards isn't getting the job done. We've gotten worse against the run AND the pass. We can't create turnovers, players consistently look like they don't know their assignments, and we can't decide on what formation to run. He's got to improve by a lot, or he's a goner. As Jerry Glanville once said, the NFL stands for "Not For Long".

Yeah, I'm not buying the whole "transition" thing either. Besides, they don't play the 3/4 all the time.

These guys just get worked every weekend. You might expect a mild setback, but to drop to the worst in the league, there's

issues that go beyond just player personnel.

He absolutely should get canned, way in over his head, the excuses above about transitions to 3-4 notwithstanding. Plenty of other teams have done without such struggles in year 1.

Oh really? Please give us a list. The most recent example I can think of was Green Bay a couple seasons ago and they STRUGGLED mightily. Then last year they got Matthews and lo and behold. Players make the difference and if you don't have the players it doesn't matter what the coach calls.

Aaron Kampman LEFT BECAUSE HE DID NOT FIT THE SYSTEM and was struggling with the 3-4. They got Raji in the draft that year and he Struggled too. He's just now starting to play well for them. Matthews being drafted last season made the biggest difference. He's a guy who fit what they wanted to do and he's an impact player. It's not brain surgery. Impact players rule. Bills don't have that on their defense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ea8c1d&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Edited by purple haze

Oh really? Please give us a list. The most recent example I can think of was Green Bay a couple seasons ago and they STRUGGLED mightily. Then last year they got Matthews and lo and behold. Players make the difference and if you don't have the players it doesn't matter what the coach calls.

Aaron Kampman LEFT BECAUSE HE DID NOT FIT THE SYSTEM and was struggling with the 3-4. They got Raji in the draft that year and he Struggled too. He's just now starting to play well for them. Matthews being drafted last season made the biggest difference. He's a guy who fit what they wanted to do and he's an impact player. It's not brain surgery. Impact players rule. Bills don't have that on their defense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ea8c1d&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

A dose of reality here. GB converted to the 34 after firing Bob Sanders post 2008. He happens to be Buffalo's DL coach now. In 09, Mike McCarthy hired Dom Capers and Ted Thompson drafted Raji 9th and Matthews Jr. later in the first. If you want to criticize the Raji pick, well, DT's take time to develop not named Suh and who move to a new defense from college to the pros. Matthews Jr. was pegged by Thompson and that pick is looking outstanding 1.5 seasons in. So in the span of one year, the team drafted two essential pieces AND converted the remaining guys to that defense. Truly amazing. Could it be some synergy between the front office and coaching staff? Nah, couldn't be.

The real problem with Buffalo is inferior decision makers from everyone in the front office on down to the position coaches. You can't point at one guy in that range and declare them at or near the top of their profession. Good players is a big part of it, but let's focus more on the people that pick them. Marv/DJ/Brandon et al are the big reason this team is devoid of talent and features a bunch of mediocre to average talent. You want better players? How about hiring proven talent evaluators who aren't RW's buddies.

He took a middle of the road, 19 yrds/game, 16 pts/game defense and turning them into the worst D in the league.

Is it possible the he keeps his job for next year? There are other D coordinators that will get canned that will

have directed much better defenses than what we have here.

<_<

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=SCORING&season=2009&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

he has been an abomination...he deserved to get fired over the bye week

The season is hardly shot. We could win a game. We could beat the Pats*. That would be cool.

PTR

Yeah, I meant "shot" in terms of meaningful. But yes, I think they will win a couple: New England would be great

but I just don't see it. The Football Gods would really have to smiling on the Bills that day.

:thumbsup:

So - after 7 games in switching to an entirely new defense; after a game in which the defense gave up 13 points in 75 minutes; after which they acquired a former all pro - it is time to fire the DC?

You guys are awesome. :thumbsup:

Edited by C.Biscuit97

At this point in the season, it just seems like our Front Office is really over its head when it comes to rebuilding its franchise. They seem to rely on inexperienced coaching while trying to catch lightning in a bottle from aging stars and career backups instead of allowing the players they brought in to be "the future" play. Until someone in Buffalo (besides the fans) realizes that this team cannot compete, that their answers are not on this rosters or coaching staff, and that the most important thing in the end is a win (there is no championship for almost)... then nothing will change.

I will always be a Bills fan...but a very realistic one.

A few people have already addressed this, but there are many examples every year of veteran first year DCs coming in and having success. In the past few years,

Mike Nolan, Dolphins

Dom Capers, Packers

Gregg Willians, Saints

Perry Fewell, Giants

I probably don't need to go on. It should have been simple enough for a long time veteran of the NFL like Chan to have connections with a veteran DC to come in and handle the defense, but he got on a little power trip and decided to hire a first timer yes man instead. If he had done what Sean Payton did, and said, "Hey, I'm going to come in here and fix this offense, but I don't know what I am talking about on D, so I am going to bring in a veteran coach to handle that side," we might have 3 or 4 wins now. But instead we hire someone who really hasn't done the job at any level and we get what we deserve.

I can't believe there are folks out there defending George Edwards. He's clearly learning on the job. He might be somewhat less clueless now than he was at the beginning of the season, but this is the NFL. You don't hire anyone that is clueless at any point.

Edited by FightClub

IMHO

Edwards getting fired or not depends on who made the decision to switch to the 3-4 before we had the people to support it.

If Chan forced the 3-4 on Edwards with the intent that the team will "grow into" the 3-4 over time .... then he stays

If Edwards talked Chan into switching because he thought we could do better in the 3-4 ... then he's gone after the season (without some significant improvement at the end of the season).

Anyone who thinks that George Edwards has a clue, doesn't.

There is no game plan for opponents. He does the same thing week after week. He never puts eight in the box to force teams to pass. The LB's are always well off the line of scrimmage.

He'll never send seven on the pass rush. I mean NEVER. You have to mix it up in this league. He won't take chances to force a big play.

One interception from a team that had 29 last year? And you think that's all on the players? C'mon.

The fastest way to improve this team in the offseason and I 'll say it everyday.is bring in a quality def. coordinator (John Fox is my boy). If we don't, we can look forward to a bottom 3 defense again next year.

Anyone who thinks that George Edwards has a clue, doesn't.

There is no game plan for opponents. He does the same thing week after week. He never puts eight in the box to force teams to pass. The LB's are always well off the line of scrimmage.

He'll never send seven on the pass rush. I mean NEVER. You have to mix it up in this league. He won't take chances to force a big play.

One interception from a team that had 29 last year? And you think that's all on the players? C'mon.

The fastest way to improve this team in the offseason and I 'll say it everyday.is bring in a quality def. coordinator (John Fox is my boy). If we don't, we can look forward to a bottom 3 defense again next year.

+1