Looking ahead to next year, now that the season is shot

San-O

This is a true 3-4 defense? Really? Doesn't often look like one.

What, exactly, was/is Edwards's qualification or experience that made Chan chose him to implement a "new 3-4" defense? He was the LB coach for....Miami.

I'm guessing that no one else with the proper experience wanted the job. If so, there was no reason to switch defenses. With no proper plyers and coaching staff, why on earth would Gailey make this move this year? It's another unfortunate example of his poor judgement regarding a major issue with the fundamentals of his team (his wasting months on TE was the other).

getting rid of Perry Fewell was a huge mistake. Depending on how the rest of the season the goes the question won't be whether Edwards goes but whether or not Gailey goes with him.

How blind we are ... Chan is staying. He has turned the offense around and if we get some linebackers and DE's then perhaps the defense isn't too far behind.

Not sure how far his loyalty to Edwards goes but right now I would think that there will be personnel turnover but the coaches stay in place.

Yeah, I'm not buying the whole "transition" thing either. Besides, they don't play the 3/4 all the time.

These guys just get worked every weekend. You might expect a mild setback, but to drop to the worst in the league, there's

issues that go beyond just player personnel.

Exactly. Plus, even though the front changed, that doesn't necessarily have to affect the coverages you play in the secondary (Rex Ryan said as much when asked about our switch to the 3-4 before we played the Jets). And yet we went from arguably the best pass defense in the league last year -- even on a per-play basis -- to a truly awful pass defense. On a per-play basis, we might have the worst pass D in the league this year. The raw numbers would look worse, except that we have by far the worst run D in the league, so teams don't really need to pass against us.

I'm sorry, but a lot of this has to come down on George Edwards. The guy was not qualified for this job when he was hired, and proceeded to head a defense that's worse than last year's in every way, with mostly the same personnel. I know Schobel retired, and that hurt the pass rush, but enough is enough. Why does Miami's inside linebackers coach get a free pass just because it's a transition year? I could understand giving him a pass if he was an experienced NFL D-coordinator with a proven history of success. At that point, we say that the players don't fit the scheme, and let's try to get him some players that do fit the scheme. But that's not the case. If there's even 1 legitimately qualified NFL D-coordinator available this offseason, Edwards needs to be canned.

is everyone forgetting that we are in the midst of a transition to a 3-4 defense? with the wrong personnel? edwards isn't getting a fair shake if he's canned after this transition year.

So - after 7 games in switching to an entirely new defense; after a game in which the defense gave up 13 points in 75 minutes; after which they acquired a former all pro - it is time to fire the DC?

You guys are awesome. :thumbsup:

Agreed with both. Our defense sucks, but the coaches will be getting a pass this year since it's obvious we have such problems with player personnel.

I don't think the guy should be ran out of town just yet.

However, I personally wouldnt mind if we replaced him with someone who was just leaving a Head Coaching job. It seems like guys are successful as Coordinators after they take a step down from the Head spot.

He took a middle of the road, 19 yrds/game, 16 pts/game defense and turning them into the worst D in the league.

Is it possible the he keeps his job for next year?  There are other D coordinators that will get canned that will

have directed much better defenses than what we have here.

dry.gif

http://www.nfl.com/s...=true&Submit=Go

those guys would cost more than Chan - not to mention Ralph has a very strong aversion to firing a coach and having to pay another one to do the same job.

no chance they get a real DC - who would also be a threat to Chan's longevity

A few people have already addressed this, but there are many examples every year of veteran first year DCs coming in and having success.  In the past few years,

Mike Nolan, Dolphins

Dom Capers, Packers

Gregg Willians, Saints

Perry Fewell, Giants

I probably don't need to go on.  It should have been simple enough for a long time veteran of the NFL like Chan to have connections with a veteran DC to come in and handle the defense, but he got on a little power trip and decided to hire a first timer yes man instead.  If he had done what Sean Payton did, and said, "Hey, I'm going to come in here and fix this offense, but I don't know what I am talking about on D, so I am going to bring in a veteran coach to handle that side," we might have 3 or 4 wins now.  But instead we hire someone who really hasn't done the job at any level and we get what we deserve.

I can't believe there are folks out there defending George Edwards.  He's clearly learning on the job.  He might be somewhat less clueless now than he was at the beginning of the season, but this is the NFL.  You don't hire anyone that is clueless at any point.

People are missing the point.

The master plan is finish last to draft a franchise QB.

Having a bad offense and a bad defense would go a long way to making it happen

Hamstring your offense with no OTs and handicap your defense by switching to a new scheme which none of the players have ever played and get a coach who has never successfully implemented such a conversion.

However, it became clear after 2 games that tanking the season on offense was not going to sit well with the fans.

Thus, it's all on the defense to keep those losses coming. Re-sign Kelsay and force Edwards to play him

Edwards could be the sacrificial lamb in the Buddy Nix rebuild plan.