Is this the reason Gailey stopped running the ball?

Note that this was filed BEFORE the game. If this is why Gailey was throwing at the end of regulation, shame on him. His attempt to prove a point blew up in his face.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-8268.html

When the Kansas City offense sputtered in preseason, Gailey, then Haley’s offensive coordinator, wanted to use more of the spread offense he ran at Georgia Tech. He is sure to try to show Haley how effective it can be today. But Haley wanted nothing to do with it. He decided to make a change and become his own offensive coordinator for a year.

Note that this was filed BEFORE the game. If this is why Gailey was throwing at the end of regulation, shame on him. His attempt to prove a point blew up in his face.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-8268.html

When the Kansas City offense sputtered in preseason, Gailey, then Haley’s offensive coordinator, wanted to use more of the spread offense he ran at Georgia Tech. He is sure to try to show Haley how effective it can be today. But Haley wanted nothing to do with it. He decided to make a change and become his own offensive coordinator for a year.

yeah, I'm sure that's it. They stopped running because they couldn't.

No. The reason he passed was to get Lindell closer for the kick. You do know the winds were crazy and a long kick was no gimme. Basically Gailey was playing to win, not tie. You want conservative? Dick(less) Jauron would have taken the knee and made Lindell kick it from 58 yards.

0-6, 0-7, what's the flippn' difference at this point?

PTR

No. The reason he passed was to get Lindell closer for the kick. You do know the winds were crazy and a long kick was no gimme. Basically Gailey was playing to win, not tie. You want conservative? Dick(less) Jauron would have taken the knee and made Lindell kick it from 58 yards.

PTR

That might be a good reason not to throw into said wind. The proper play would've been to run it. They were having success using delayed handoffs late in the game and there was no reason to abandon it. At the very least, you keep Freddy in the backfield to give a run look (and for extra blocking). The use of the spread at that point in the game was insane.

That might be a good reason not to throw into said wind. The proper play would've been to run it. They were having success using delayed handoffs late in the game and there was no reason to abandon it. At the very least, you keep Freddy in the backfield to give a run look (and for extra blocking). The use of the spread at that point in the game was insane.

Except the spread got them to that point so why stop what was working? The run might have worked, it might not have. True, they could have run out the clock more so as not to give KC any time to drive, so that was a miscalculation.

PTR

yeah, I'm sure that's it. They stopped running because they couldn't.

I thought they were actually running the ball pretty effectively in the second half...it seemed CG would have called a run or two somewhere along the line, on those final possessions. I don't buy any "trying to prove a point" theories, I just think Gailey likes to pass the ball...it seemed like the passing game, eventually, opened up the run for the Bills. Not sure why they were so reluctant to take advantage.

I thought the Cheifs play calling was worse...they were running the ball effectively all game, but abandoned it at the most peculiar of times. I realize the wind played a factor in some of the play calling, but a run is a run...no matter how strong the wind...

Edited by Buftex

PTR

Exactly. If you go back to the Cleveland MNF game, people were murdering Jauron for being too conservative and running the ball. Now Gailey is dumb for not running the ball?

That's the best part about being a fan. You're never wrong. If the one thing didn't work, it's obvious you should have done the other one.

Except the spread got them to that point so why stop what was working? The run might have worked, it might not have. True, they could have run out the clock more so as not to give KC any time to drive, so that was a miscalculation.

PTR

that's what made me mad, the miscalculation part. Even if you run once or twice, you're gaining positive yards and running the clock down. that way, not only does Lindell at least get a CHANCE to win the game, but if he misses, then it ends in a tie. No like everyone says you don't want to play for the tie, but who's ever heard of playing to lose? also if I recall correctly, were they not in position to at least attempt a game winning field goal if Fitzpatrick wasn't flagged for intentional grounding?

Edited by CFLstyle

PTR

+1 Remember the Cleveland game in Buffalo a couple of years ago (sunday or monday night), when Jauron called runs up the middle 3 times before sending Lindell on for the game winning (48 yard?) field goal... which he missed. I, for one, am glad to see a team that tries to win.

Exactly. If you go back to the Cleveland MNF game, people were murdering Jauron for being too conservative and running the ball. Now Gailey is dumb for not running the ball?

That's the best part about being a fan. You're never wrong. If the one thing didn't work, it's obvious you should have done the other one.

that's all well and good, but you're ignoring the fact that many people (I'm sure that the Shout Box will verify this) were imploring the Bills to run the ball late in the 4th and in OT during the game yesterday. Maybe a case of "Monday Morning Quarterback" for some, but certainly not all.

The circumstances in the MNF game vs. Cleveland were completely different

but is there no in between? cleveland they ran the ball up the middle three times, KC they tried to throw downfield three times. why not mix it up? a run here, a pass there, a screen or a quick hitter, you know? it doesn't have to be one or the other. At least try running once.

I thought they were actually running the ball pretty effectively in the second half...it seemed CG would have called a run or two somewhere along the line, on those final possessions. I don't buy any "trying to prove a point" theories, I just think Gailey likes to pass the ball...it seemed like the passing game, eventually, opened up the run for the Bills. Not sure why they were so reluctant to take advantage.

I thought the Cheifs play calling was worse...they were running the ball effectively all game, but abandoned it at the most peculiar of times. I realize the wind played a factor in some of the play calling, but a run is a run...no matter how strong the wind...

They had a few decent runs, call me crazy but if you have the 2nd rated passer in the NFL you'd expect better results in the passing game...Fitz was off yesterday.

http://www.nationalf...Blitz-8268.html

When the Kansas City offense sputtered in preseason, Gailey, then Haley's offensive coordinator, wanted to use more of the spread offense he ran at Georgia Tech. He is sure to try to show Haley how effective it can be today. But Haley wanted nothing to do with it. He decided to make a change and become his own offensive coordinator for a year.

Interesting read. If anything it may help explain some of the stupid coaching decisions KC made. Perhaps there was some emotional baggage from their former working relationship that guided his poor decision making. They are lucky they won, because there would have been a lot of scrutiny on those calls if they’d lost and it was dam close.

A delayed handoff puts you at risk of losing yards, something they couldn't afford since where they were on the field was giving them a 57 yard FG. I loved the pass call on 1st down to Spiller. I think they should have run the ball on 2nd down, but not in the manner you claim, and on 3rd down, without gaining any yards on 1st and 2nd, they had no choice but to pass.

that's what made me mad, the miscalculation part. Even if you run once or twice, you're gaining positive yards and running the clock down. that way, not only does Lindell at least get a CHANCE to win the game, but if he misses, then it ends in a tie. No like everyone says you don't want to play for the tie, but who's ever heard of playing to lose? also if I recall correctly, were they not in position to at least attempt a game winning field goal if Fitzpatrick wasn't flagged for intentional grounding?

Are you sure? No way we could lose yards running the ball?

They had a few decent runs, call me crazy but if you have the 2nd rated passer in the NFL you'd expect better results in the passing game...Fitz was off yesterday.

Which is all the more reason to mix in more running. They came out in the first half passing first and we got about 58 yards of total offense. They came out running the ball in the second half and got about 250 yards of offense. We needed to mix in more run.

And I have no problem with passing so much as I had a problem with the 4-5 WR sets, with no RB look. To end the game most teams would have tried to run the ball to get a few more yards to make the final kick 5 yards closer. OK.... so you want to pass and get more than that. Why not line up in a more typical run formation and do some play action? Why not try and fool the defense a little? Nope, Gailey was being arrogant. He said we're going spread and you can't beat us. Well, guess what... he was wrong. And what made it worse was he had a 2nd and 3rd chance and didn't adjust. And to make it even more obscene... we lost in OT to the Ravens with the exact same look.

I'm sorry, but this loss is squarely on the shoulders of our HC.

Gailey states yesterday that they did have a couple runs called at the end of the "FG drives" that they failed on. He states that the coverage/ alignment dictated that Fitz opt out to a pass play. This was in his post game interview.

Which is all the more reason to mix in more running. They came out in the first half passing first and we got about 58 yards of total offense. They came out running the ball in the second half and got about 250 yards of offense. We needed to mix in more run.

And I have no problem with passing so much as I had a problem with the 4-5 WR sets, with no RB look. To end the game most teams would have tried to run the ball to get a few more yards to make the final kick 5 yards closer. OK.... so you want to pass and get more than that. Why not line up in a more typical run formation and do some play action? Why not try and fool the defense a little? Nope, Gailey was being arrogant. He said we're going spread and you can't beat us. Well, guess what... he was wrong. And what made it worse was he had a 2nd and 3rd chance and didn't adjust. And to make it even more obscene... we lost in OT to the Ravens with the exact same look.

I'm sorry, but this loss is squarely on the shoulders of our HC.

You really think Chan Gailey was operating from a position of arrogance? 0-6, cut his choice for starting qb 2 weeks into the season, on record as saying we lack talent

in on the line, trying to tinker with the offense week in, week out----arrogance? I'd bet he made choices based on what he thought would win us the game, taking into consideration the likelihood our running game would be succesful at that point in the game. Looked to me that with all the warts on this team he's running, both the Raven's loss and the Chief's loss came down to execution. Fumble by Nelson (and unsportsmanlike conduct call) v. the Ravens, bad int by Fitzy and missed kick by Lindell against the Chiefs, Fitz missing Spiller in OT. Now, obviously, there are other issues---the Chief's playcalling and execution, defense v. offense and so on, and I ry not to oversimplify, but arrogance? You could make as strong an argument that he was right as that he was wrong.

Edited by timmo1805

PTR

Maybe Ok to pass IMO (though three consecutive downs in that situation is a bit much) but I prefer play action to spread in the pro game, especially where the D expects the run.