A Few Thoughts About The Game

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred Jackson looked yesterday like he has lost a step. It happens to RBs his age. I'm somewhat surprised it caught up with him this quickly, since he hasn't been in the NFL too long (and has been a feature back for only a fraction of that time). Perhaps he is injured - that's the best we can hope for. Because it's clear that his speed was missing yeseterday, and he's never been the fastest back in any event.

Cordaro Howard was terrible yesterday, but Tamba Hali will do that to you. My question is, What was the plan, Chan? Giving Cordaro Howard so little help against a great edge rusher like Hali was asinine.

Fred Jackson sucked yesterday. He got the ball 20 times and only managed 64 yards. That sucks. It amazes me that Jackson is heralded as this great performer around here when his average rush per carry is towards the bottom of the league. It's like I watched a different game than everyone else. Gailey had the win were it not for that second FG miss. Let's start blaming the guys that should be blamed. Jackson's inability to gain any significant yardage led to Gailey trusting Fitzpatrick and the passing game more than the guy ramming himself into the line.

Jackson is the best RB on the roster and he is good. The Bills aren't a great team so of course his numbers arent' great. Look at McFadden for a comparison about what happens to a RB when a team improves.

Did you see Lynch's numbers yesterday? 9 carries, 7 yards!

Fred Jackson sucked yesterday. He got the ball 20 times and only managed 64 yards. That sucks. It amazes me that Jackson is heralded as this great performer around here when his average rush per carry is towards the bottom of the league. It's like I watched a different game than everyone else. Gailey had the win were it not for that second FG miss. Let's start blaming the guys that should be blamed. Jackson's inability to gain any significant yardage led to Gailey trusting Fitzpatrick and the passing game more than the guy ramming himself into the line.

Freddie didn't suck, but he definitely coulda been better. I am one of his biggest fans but even i admit he looked slow yesterday. He didn't have that second gear (i don't think he has any gear beyond 2nd!). Fred's best attribute is that he runs downhill and doesn't dance back there. When he needs 2 yds he gets 3. He seemed to be doing a little too much juking back there...which is an epic fail against a KC run defense that is really impressive. Those dudes are FAST to the edge.

I also agree that while Fitz didn't have a great game, he was the only reason the Bills even had a chance. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves from Bills fans. It's been so long since a Bills QB has converted 3rd and 4th downs like Fitz has these past few weeks. What a great attribute to have from your QB....the ability to convert! Yes, that flutter ball to Eric Berry was a killer. You see Favre throw killer INT's every week. Manning, Rivers, Brees, Brady...they all throw bad balls occasionally. Not saying Fitz is on that level so don't start that nonsense...but a bad ball in windy conditions happens to every QB. For the Bills, it just always happens at the worst time.

LOL @comparing Spiller to Chris Johnson.

In Johnson's rookie year (splitting carries), he rushed 251 times for 1,228 yards with a 4.9 yard per carry average and 9 rushing touchdowns.

In Spiller's rookie year, he has rushed 32 times for 130 yards with a 4.1 yard per carry average and 0 rushing touchdowns.

Projecting to a full season, that'd put Spiller at 72 carries for 296 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Great comparison between Spiller and Johnson ;)

the comparison is that Spiller and Johnson are the same types of running backs. Which they are...

they both get their yards off making the big play, and if you don't get the carris, you're not going to make the big play.

if Chris Johnson only got 4 or 5 carries a game in his rookie season, he wouldn't have had near that kind of production.

Fred's biggest problem yesterday was that in 5 full quarters of play he only rushed the ball 20 times. How do you play 5 quarters and only give your #1 RB the ball 5 times? And 3.2 yds/carry isn't bad... it's right about the league average. Just like QBs and WRs, RBs need to get into a rhythm. Giving your #1 RB 5 carries a quarter is no allowing for that.

Gailey says the defense dictated certain packages and the pass plays. But maybe the Chiefs were just good at disguising their looks and Gailey allowed them to dictate to him too much. Because for all those favorable match ups... Fitz didn't have a great day passing the ball.

Spiller has to nip the fumbling thing in the bud, soon. HE seems pretty easy to separate from the ball. I never considered this when he was at Clemson because no one could hardly touch him! In the NFL, if you put the ball on the ground consistenly, you're done. If he puts up Adrian Peterson style numbers then you live with it but that's about it.

I agree and think ou could put Jackson in that same boat. The one thing I don't get about Gailey is his insistence on this spread 'em out passing attack. We have a young OL; they're still very much learning their positions; we have a relatively inexperienced QB running around behind that OL; what do you do? You go empty back field, telling the entire defense that it's a pass, and put the pressure of the entire game on one of your weakest units?

Gailey needs to run the ball more. That's just all there is too it. I'm not saying run all the time, just more. Then use some play action off the run. Without looking it up, it seems we're averaging about 2:1 pass to run. IMO, that ratio should be turned around or at the very least evened out.

I know he talks about his packages. He talks about playing from behind. He wants to get his match ups. But, those are all just excuses. He's just too quick to abandon the run. Again, I'm not saying run all the time, but he's got to even out the play calling. And for Heaven's sake... when it's under a minute to go in a tie game and you're looking at a 53 yard FG; run the ball a couple of times to get an extra 5 or 6 yards; then try the 3rd down pass.

For the last few crappy seasons we have watched the Bills teams attempt to play ball control offense and they have sucked beyond my worst imaginings. Why question Gailey's offense at this point when they are finally moving the ball. They actually get first downs, and convert on 3rd down. That's a HUGE improvement. It looks like NFL football. I don't know why, with the limitations you mentioned, that this spread offense is works better, but to go back to trying to be ball control would be silly.

At least they are now enjoyable to watch, give Gailey some time to take the next step to winning the games. He started with nothing.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

For the last few crappy seasons we have watched the Bills teams attempt to play ball control offense and they have sucked beyond my worst imaginings. Why question Gailey's offense at this point when they are finally moving the ball. They actually get first downs, and convert on 3rd down. That's a HUGE improvement. It looks like NFL football. I don't know why, with the limitations you mentioned, that this spread offense is works better, but to go back to trying to be ball control would be silly.

At least they are now enjoyable to watch, give Gailey some time to take the next step to winning the games. He started with nothing.

Actually, he started with most of the same players who previously could win 6-7 games a year.

Why not seek a balance? I'm not suggesting run all the time. I'm suggesting that Gailey needs a better feel for the game's momentum and at times he needs to reign in the spread and run a little bit more.

The Bills are 18-30 with pos starting. 4-15 in the past 2 seasons (thus far).

Johnson looks great.

Spiller didn't look like he was at full speed on that TD miss by Fitz. Those aren't routes for this kid to be running.

Kelsay's extension was a boneheaded move. Where are the guys who said it "made sense"?

Fitz had one bad throw, but I believe we got the ball back, marched downfield and our kicker nailed a 53 yarder. He couldn't do it twice in a row, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8&feature=related

Starts at about 2:10. He ran those routes all the time at Clemson. Your telling me that kid shouldnt be one on one with a LB in a spriting match?

This is not about you but these are my thoughts...

I think Fred Jackson sucked yesterday. For the season he has a 4 YPC average which is close to the bottom for starting runningbacks. I'm tired of reading the dumb fans here dumping on Fitzpatrick when he was the entire offense on the road at one of the toughest places to play in the NFL. Was he great? No. Was he good enough to get the win at KC? The answer is obviously yes were it not for the second FG miss. The running game sucked (see Fred Jackson) which is why Gailey decided not to call runs at the end. Fitzpatrick deserves way better than he's getting here today.

could not agree more. Not sure how Fitz gets all the praise for Baltimore and all the blame for KC. He made some bonehead throws, but point to one decent QB who doesn't make those mistakes. Look at cats like Eli and Favre (calm down everyone--not saying Fitz is that good) those two are kings of bonehead moves. When you are trying to will a win into happening dumb mistakes happen. I wish that INT didn't happen, but I have seen much better QBs do the exact thing nearly every week.

1) Stevie Jonson continues to impress. Possession receivers need to hold the football (duh) and he seems to be concentrating.

2) Fred Jackson is a good football player, but something was wrong. He was having a tough time getting started imo. It almost looked as if he had the wrong shoes on. He was fine as always when he picked up a head of steam. Not sure what was happening back there.

3) Parrish gave us another good performance.

4) Kelsay was so bad out there I didn't know who to feel sorry for, him or Bills fans. Forget about getting juked by Cassell, he was absolutely chrushed by a tight end on a running play to the left side. You can see wide open gaps as he is taken out of play after play. His new contract will just never add up.

5) I am not into stats so much, but I am guessing that the Bills have a decent record in games where Poz is on the field and plays well. Lori? :) He looked like a professional football player out there, and this is a rare sight wrt the Bills linebackers.

6) Bell didn't play as well as he did against the Ravens, but he wasn't the problem. These guys on the OL are young, and imo more running plays would build their confidence, as well as keep the defense off the field.

7) Whitner had a nice tackle, but he once again was not a factor in the game. Btw, I thought I saw him playing on special teams. Did anyone else see this or was I hallucenating?

8) Fitz is a gamer, and really a good fit for this type of team. I wish he would take off on running plays just a second sooner. It seems that he hesitates just a little too much, and this prevents larger gains. One thing about Fitz, he DOES belong in this league, which is big praise for a Bills QB.

9) Spiller looked ok in his very limited action. It isn't his fault that the Bills drafted a part time player at #9. :oops: What I fail to understand is why they don't line him up more at RB and simply hand him the football. His total yards per game rushing and receiving are simply unacceptable. Prediction: Soon he will break a couple. This will make his stats look better and fans will think that he wasn't a bad pick.

10) The DL looked better than usual. Kyle Williams really is a workhorse. I do not believe for one second that he weighs 305, or whatever it is they claim. He is very small to play nose, and there is just so little behind him. Still, the guy makes plays.....somehow. Stroud looked good too on some plays.

11) The misery continues, but at least thay are out there trying to win. They do owe us this much.

12) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great stuff as usual Bill.

-- I think the problem with Jackson was the blocking. It looked to me like both tackles had problems, there was constant pressure pinching in from the tackles and we could not break anything outside. Jackson ran hard when he had room to get moving.

-- Spiller needs more touches. We threw too many passes and and our average per throw was actually worse than the average per carry.

Actually, he started with most of the same players who previously could win 6-7 games a year.

We're talking about the offense. You prefer last years offense? This year the offense is WAY better, and will improve. This years schedule has been much more difficult. They will win some games, then they can start improving the defense.

Why not seek a balance? I'm not suggesting run all the time. I'm suggesting that Gailey needs a better feel for the game's momentum and at times he needs to reign in the spread and run a little bit more.

You are correct Dan. The defense is atrocious and needs to be kept off the field. Running the football does this. Also, the weather is about to change. Sooner or later, this team HAS to run the football.

Many fans cannot grasp the importance of this. We play in the elements; emphasis on the running attack (and stopping it) is NOT an option. Yet, we used a #9 on Spiller and use him in a situational role. :wallbash:

More balance would be great, but right now I'm just happy to see them move the ball. THe run game will get better. Gailey is obviously more comfortable with the passing game, so that's where they are making strides. Passing is more important, I think, and more fun to watch.

You are correct Dan. The defense is atrocious and needs to be kept off the field. Running the football does this. Also, the weather is about to change. Sooner or later, this team HAS to run the football.

Many fans cannot grasp the importance of this. We play in the elements; emphasis on the running attack (and stopping it) is NOT an option. Yet, we used a #9 on Spiller and use him in a situational role. :wallbash:

They aren't going anywhere. Sooner or later starts next year. There isn't much urgency. I'm more interested in finding out if Fitz can do the job, winning a handful of games this year with the running game won't mean much to me. A few games back they couldn't run OR pass.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

That's what I don't get either. OK.. so we took a RB when we had 2 good ones. I didn't agree with it, but I was patient to see how they would use Spiller. Well... here we are 7 games into the season and we're still waiting to see how they're going to use this highly valued pick. Using him as a situational back getting half a dozen or so carries a game is a luxury that a rebuilding team cannot afford.

Is it just me or does it feel like this whole first year of the rebuild - the FA period, the draft, the Preseason, and now the regular season - has been pretty well wasted? All we've done is confirm that all the sucky players on the team do, indeed, suck. Honestly, I'm beginning to truly believe that an integral part of "the plan" was to get the #1 pick in the '11 draft.

-- I think the problem with Jackson was the blocking. It looked to me like both tackles had problems, there was constant pressure pinching in from the tackles and we could not break anything outside. Jackson ran hard when he had room to get moving.

The OL was absolutely horrible yesterday... that's why the running game was terrible and why we went to so many quick passes