A Few Thoughts About The Game

We're talking about the offense. You prefer last years offense? This year the offense is WAY better, and will improve. This years schedule has been much more difficult. They will win some games, then they can start improving the defense.

The loss of Schobel has been bigger than anyone expected. That and Kelsay not being an OLB. But I agree that the schedule is killer so far this year.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

7) Whitner had a nice tackle, but he once again was not a factor in the game. Btw, I thought I saw him playing on special teams. Did anyone else see this or was I hallucenating?

Whitner actually had several nice tackles. I also saw a couple of plays that looked like blown coverage by the corners that Whitner had to scramble to cover (one in particular - a CB took man coverage on a WR running an inside route underneath the safeties, leaving a WR down the sidelines completely uncovered, requiring Whitner to sprint to the sidelines to take him.) Whether blown assignments or bad schemes, I'm not sure...but it's looking to me like Whitner's problems - real or perceived - on the field have less to do with him than with the rest of the defense.

Whitner actually had several nice tackles. I also saw a couple of plays that looked like blown coverage by the corners that Whitner had to scramble to cover (one in particular - a CB took man coverage on a WR running an inside route underneath the safeties, leaving a WR down the sidelines completely uncovered, requiring Whitner to sprint to the sidelines to take him.) Whether blown assignments or bad schemes, I'm not sure...but it's looking to me like Whitner's problems - real or perceived - on the field have less to do with him than with the rest of the defense.

When looking at the defensive problems, Whitner is a ways down the list of issues that need to be addressed. I understand Bill grinding the axe on a dumb #8 pick but Donte is one of the decent players on this terrible defense. Not that he's a great player but when I think of things that are wrong with the Bills defense, he's down the list. Annoying because he was a dumb pick for sure, but down the list.

I agree it's an extreme example given that all tennessee did in 08 was run the ball. The bills obviously throw the ball much more than the titans did that year.

You're also right that the numbers do not lie. White had 200 carries himself. I would call that spitting carries.

Not sure why the word frames required quotation marks.

Not sure about the frames, but Tennesee has a much better OL than we do. They actually create holes for their RB's. I think stat comparison's are flawed for that reason.

You are correct Dan. The defense is atrocious and needs to be kept off the field. Running the football does this. Also, the weather is about to change. Sooner or later, this team HAS to run the football.

Many fans cannot grasp the importance of this. We play in the elements; emphasis on the running attack (and stopping it) is NOT an option. Yet, we used a #9 on Spiller and use him in a situational role. :wallbash:

Anytime you're on the road and the head coach and QB got you to the point were you're kicking a game winning field goal on the road at KC, I find criticisms like "we needed more balance" to be completely unfair.

Once it was clear that the Bills would not be able to sustain drives and get first downs with Jackson's 2 and 3 yard gains, the only smart decision remaining was to have Fitzpatrick get first downs and find the points through the passing game. It worked. They were in position to win the game a few times.

Only when Jackson and/or Spiller start to gash for yards and look like those KC backs did yesterday, will the Bills be better served to balance this attack out. Our running game blows right now. Fitz and the Bills' receivers are the only reason they've brought these last two games to OT in the first place. Let's get real here.

Anytime you're on the road and the head coach and QB got you to the point were you're kicking a game winning field goal on the road at KC, I find criticisms like "we needed more balance" to be completely unfair.

Once it was clear that the Bills would not be able to sustain drives and get first downs with Jackson's 2 and 3 yard gains, the only smart decision remaining was to have Fitzpatrick get first downs and find the points through the passing game. It worked. They were in position to win the game a few times.

Only when Jackson and/or Spiller start to gash for yards and look like those KC backs did yesterday, will the Bills be better served to balance this attack out. Our running game blows right now. Fitz and the Bills' receivers are the only reason they've brought these last two games to OT in the first place. Let's get real here.

All this seems obvious to me. Last year a first down was cause for celebration, and now they have started moving the ball through the air. Roscoe Parrish and Lee Evans actually have real roles in the offense. Just to have one aspect (the most important part, passing) working at a decentlevel is big progress as far as I'm concerned. The running game will get better, they have what, 10 months to work on it before it matters?

Edited by Matthews' Bag