Ryan Fitzpatrick's arm strength

Simon

For my part I thought one was often a result of the other. He seemed to lack natural arm strength and when he compensated by overthrowing to get additional velocity, his accuracy suffered badly. Maybe last week was an anomaly but that does not appear to be the case right now.

I strongly agree with this and I don't think last week was an anomaly. There were multiple times that he over-cranked it against the Ravens and was well off the mark.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you don't find the significant change from last year interesting?

Sorry to have wasted your time. <_<

It's OK. PTR's been wasting people's time for a long time now.

I will be very interested to see how opponents defend Fitz with his "newfound" arm strength and accuracy. KC's secondary is better than Baltimore's, and I'm sure the KC defense will be ready. If Fitz and Gailey score points this week, I'll give them the credit for it.

ding ding...he has a rocket for an arm. Great arm strength but he some accuracy problems. The first post of where was it last year makes me think you don't go to the games. He has a great arm

There was a knock on his arm strength early on, noodle arm even uddered by some, but then Belicheat called him a strong arm QB so perceptions were all over the map.

He fired some bullets last sunday and they were accurate too. Lets hope the improvement keeps coming

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Fitzy, himself, has said he can chuck the ball down field 70 yards. I believe it, he does have a strong arm.

I think the most amazing thing about Fitzy is that he has never had the benefit of a full training camp as a starter. He has the smarts, arm and athletic ability to be a very good QB in the NFL. The only thing that worries me about him is his accuracy. He is inconsistent in that department, but he can get better at it.

I'm all for giving him a chance at starter for next year and grabbing a DL or OL in the draft in the first round, instead of a QB. Our defense needs the most help. We are lacking a game changer on that side of the ball.

I will be very interested to see how opponents defend Fitz with his "newfound" arm strength and accuracy. KC's secondary is better than Baltimore's, and I'm sure the KC defense will be ready. If Fitz and Gailey score points this week, I'll give them the credit for it.

For the most part, I usually like to read what PTR says. Fitzy will have his ups and downs as he gets better. If he has a downer of a game against KC I won't fret. Overall his play is progressing. If he has a great outing this Sunday, then... great. Raise your glass to an overall good game by our O. If our D makes the flight then that would be nice too.

Edited by Pilsner

I noticed that too. Last year, he threw a very wobbly ball, but has since smoothed it out. His follow through is also different. It looked like he used to chuck the ball and now its a smooth release. He might just have been the victim of bad coaching and needed an better analysis of his mechanics.

That's possible. Another possibility: a QB needs to plant his foot and throw to get good velocity.

Last year, I think Fitz never had time to plant, now sometimes he does.

He's also had more chance to work with the receivers which helps both timing and confidence to throw into coverage

That's possible. Another possibility: a QB needs to plant his foot and throw to get good velocity.

Last year, I think Fitz never had time to plant, now sometimes he does.

He's also had more chance to work with the receivers which helps both timing and confidence to throw into coverage

Those are good points and his abilities to read the D and communicate to the blitz pick uppers and his Oline has improved a lot the last 2 games too.

His arm is plenty strong but his hands are too small (could account for wobble on passes but that is easy to correct). He still side arms his motion a bit or sometimes throws a Joe Capp/punt/pass but his mechanics are heads and shoulder above when here got to Bflo. Actually I have been thinking that since the Indy game last year.

25th in pass defense is better? :blink:

His arm is plenty strong. The knock on him has been accuracy.

Exactly. Montana did not possess a cannon, Brees isn't considered as a "cannon" armed QB. Adequate arm strength is required, which Fitz seems to have particularly when he can step into his throw. Like Flutie said many times before (queue the flames), being good QB is about making good decisions.

I would say that Fitz's weaknesses are his inconsistent accuracy, followed by an occasional lack of good decision making. Despite his flaws, he does bring heart and desire and a considerable degree of fearlessness to the field.

He's been pulling the trigger. Making reads. He's making the outside the hash throws when he reads single coverage by pulling the trigger before safety help can arrive. He's got the arm, his head is making the right calls right now. But expect the INT's to come to. IMO, when a QB has less then 10, he was lucky with the bounce of the ball.

He's been pulling the trigger. Making reads. He's making the outside the hash throws when he reads single coverage by pulling the trigger before safety help can arrive. He's got the arm, his head is making the right calls right now. But expect the INT's to come to. IMO, when a QB has less then 10, he was lucky with the bounce of the ball.

Still talking about that backwards bounce pass? LOL

ding ding...he has a rocket for an arm. Great arm strength but he some accuracy problems. The first post of where was it last year makes me think you don't go to the games. He has a great arm

Hey now...rocket arm my azz.

What he does do, is diagnose plays quick and decide where he wants to go with the ball. It's amazing what a QB can do when he knows 'x' receiver is going to be open and he can set his feet and deliver it w/ some velocity. Trent often made the right reads but he'd be dancing around in the pocket and not entirely set his feet before throwing those dreaded out patterns. Few QBs in the league can get away with that, Trent most certainly was not one. I think this allows Fitz to make up for any shortcomings regarding his arm strength.

Exactly. Montana did not possess a cannon, Brees isn't considered as a "cannon" armed QB. Adequate arm strength is required, which Fitz seems to have particularly when he can step into his throw. Like Flutie said many times before (queue the flames), being good QB is about making good decisions.

I would say that Fitz's weaknesses are his inconsistent accuracy, followed by an occasional lack of good decision making. Despite his flaws, he does bring heart and desire and a considerable degree of fearlessness to the field.

Yes, well said.

Edited by stony

Jeez, one good game and we can't stop analyzing everything about Fitz. What's next? Comparing his jock size to pro bowl QBs?

PTR

Promo ... you have access to that information?

A new line of postings is forthcoming ... I am all amazed by the inside information you are able to secure!

Whoa, let's not go crazy. He has ample arm strength, enough to get by on, let's not make him out to be Elway.

That is true. Not to mention Jay Cutler has a rocket for an arm too and you see how much good that does him right? Although I think the original poster was recognizing that it takes strength to be able to fire a ball in on some of these quick slant routes to fit them in tight places. His balls look a lot less wobbly but i think that has more to do with his mechanics being better and also he is more confidence in his receivers lately so he is letting them rip. Long story short, if he keeps it up then i am happy. This year i just want to be entertained. That is one thing Fitz gave me that Trent could not.

Jeez, one good game and we can't stop analyzing everything about Fitz. What's next? Comparing his jock size to pro bowl QBs?

PTR

One good game? Where have you been the last 5 weeks? All Fitz has done in the past 4 games is be the best QB in the league second only to Peyton Manning. You don't get there from one good game man. Give credit where it is due.

Not picking on you but this is why some of our fans suck. We have been given a tremendous gift horse in Fitzpatrick's performance and all half of us can do is look that gift horse in the mouth and try to find something wrong with it. Fitz is not just playing OK....HE IS KICKING ASS!!!! End of story. Will he keep it up? I hope so! Will he have occassional bad games like any other QB in this league that is given 10x the respect? Sure. Will loser Bills fans jump all over it and take a dump on the guy and say "see, this is the real Ryan Fitzpatrick"? Absolutely.

It's crap like that that makes me believe we get what we deserve always being dissappointed. We should be carrying this guy on our shoulders and trying to encourage continued performance like this instead of waiting for the other shoe to drop.