NFL top 100 players

Maybe its because I am biased but I think Jim Kelly should be on the list. I think they are at 20 now and both Marino and Elway have been listed so I know they wont put Kelly ahead of them.

Should he be considered one of the NFL's top 100 players of all time?

If he won at least 1 Superbowl , he's on the list.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its because I am biased but I think Jim Kelly should be on the list. I think they are at 20 now and both Marino and Elway have been listed so I know they wont put Kelly ahead of them.

I love Kelly but he's not close to the great QBs. Maybe top 20 but that might be a stretch. He played on one of the top 2 or 3 groups of offensive talent ever. It's not a cincidence that Reich could come in and the offense didn't miss a beat. Also, Kelly was a bad playoff QB. Except for a handful of games, he often played subpar but luckily we had enough talent to carry us over the top.

Again, I love the guy for his leadership and toughness but guys like Bruce, OJ, and Thurman are arguably top 10 players at their positions. Kelly isn't in that group for QBs IMO.

Wide right ruined jimbo's legacy forever :(

I may have only been 9 at the time but I don't know why Thurman Thomas didn't get more carries in that game. Why force throws against a 2 man d line?

The top ten, in my opinion should include Jim Brown, Lawrence Taylor, Otto Graham, Sammy Baugh, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Reggie White, Ronnie Lott, Johnny Unitas and someone else..Jim Kelly isn't in that class.

Walter Payton? Barry Sanders?

Personally, I am not sure that Payton was the greatest ever, but his reputation and legacy put him in a class with Jim Brown. I can't stand Jim Brown, but I take it as gospel that he was the greatest ever, as it is before my time. I would also, likely, rate Steve Young a little higher than most. If Emmitt Smith gets in the top 20, you know this list is bogus!

The top ten, in my opinion should include Jim Brown, Lawrence Taylor, Otto Graham, Sammy Baugh, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Reggie White, Ronnie Lott, Johnny Unitas and someone else..Jim Kelly isn't in that class.

Not bad, but I wouldn't put Montana ahead of Unitas and I'd probably put Joe Greene in there instead of Lott. Greene is arguably the best defensive lineman of all time (though I admit I am biased as he is my favorite football player of all time).

I have missed these shows so far (always intend to watch 'em, but never do), but if the top player isn't Jim Brown, then this list is garbage.

The minute I saw Namath was on the list it became irrelevant to me...And he was #100...The argument of whether or not Kelly should be on the list is one thing...But to say Joe Namath was a better NFL Player than Jim Kelly, or a few others who were left off, shows where lists like these belong...

Ridiculous.... B-)

These lists are a joke.OJ--who I'd put at about 4 or 5--is still getting punished for that thing he did 16 yrs ago.

But how can you compare an offensive lineman to a WR or a RB?? Silly.Thurman--great player but not even close to top 100.

Jim Kelly is definitely not one of the top 100 players of all time.-Of course Bruce and OJ are in there.And Robert James woulda had a shot if not injured early on.Cookie was in his late 20s coming into Buffalo/the AFL--so his best years were few in the NFL.-Those are the only Bills who ever played on that elite elite level.-Lofton was at that level but only with Green Bay.

How could Warner be ahead pf Jimbo?? WTF?

Below are the stats for Joe Montana, Kurt Warner, and Jim Kelly

Montana: 7.5 yards per attempt, 92.3 QB rating

Warner: 7.9 yards per attempt, 93.7 QB rating

Kelly: 7.4 yards per attempt, 84.4 QB rating

Kurt Warner had over 32,000 career passing yards, as compared to over 40,000 for Montana and over 35,000 for Kelly. So it's not like you're comparing one or two good years from one player against a career's worth of numbers from another player.

Kurt Warner is the only quarterback to have passed for over 400 yards in a Super Bowl. In fact, he has the three highest passing yardage totals in Super Bowl history. He also owns the record for the most passing yards in any one playoff season (1,147 yards in the 2009 postseason). He and Montana own the record for most TDs thrown in a single postseason (11 in 2009 for Warner, 11 for Montana in 1990). He and Steve Young own the record for most consecutive games with 300 yards passing. (Six each.) He and Dan Marino were the two fastest NFL quarterbacks to reach 30,000 yards (114 games each). He has the second-highest passing yards-per-game stat of any QB in NFL history. (Peyton Manning is first.) His completion percentage in the playoffs is the second-highest in NFL history.

Kurt Warner deserves to be listed as one of the best quarterbacks of all time.

Walter Payton? Barry Sanders?

Personally, I am not sure that Payton was the greatest ever, but his reputation and legacy put him in a class with Jim Brown. I can't stand Jim Brown, but I take it as gospel that he was the greatest ever, as it is before my time. I would also, likely, rate Steve Young a little higher than most. If Emmitt Smith gets in the top 20, you know this list is bogus!

Steve Young is a phony. he did jack squat when in Tampa except get traded. Then he moves to San Francisco which already had a top knotch team that was Montana's.

Like one poster said about Kelly (falsely)...any q-back could have won with the 49er team of those days. In MHO, Young is nothing. Jimbo took a nothing team in building and went to 4 Super Bowls. Yes, there was a hell of a team behind and in front of him but he took nothing to something. Young already had something to something. Antyone can make a 3 foot putt when shown how. Jimbo and Montana showed him. Young SUXs.

And I'll take Taskers announcing over youngs, dilberts (or is it dandorf), johnsons, especially that bozo from New England (I forget his name on purpose) and many others on TV.

And as for the Bills going 0-16...rooting on ya baby!!! but WOW, Fritz did look good...can he survive with that holy front line and no defense...

He would have been a good Q-back if he wasn't killed trying to pass the football.

A few things to further consider regarding Kelly and not being included (I for one thought he should have been): Didn't play in NFL Until 1986 - If he signs with the Bills and plays 1983 - 1985, he would have amassed more overall yards and TD's. Add in his USFL stat's from those years and he is well into the 40,000 yards passing; Weather - If he played in a Dome (Warner) or the Sun (Marino), he would have been more than on par statistically.

If any other Bills should have been included in the top 100, it should have been Billy Shaw, who many consider one of the top 2 - 3 guards of all time.

Steve Young is a phony. he did jack squat when in Tampa except get traded. Then he moves to San Francisco which already had a top knotch team that was Montana's.

Like one poster said about Kelly (falsely)...any q-back could have won with the 49er team of those days. In MHO, Young is nothing. Jimbo took a nothing team in building and went to 4 Super Bowls. Yes, there was a hell of a team behind and in front of him but he took nothing to something. Young already had something to something. Antyone can make a 3 foot putt when shown how. Jimbo and Montana showed him. Young SUXs.

And I'll take Taskers announcing over youngs, dilberts (or is it dandorf), johnsons, especially that bozo from New England (I forget his name on purpose) and many others on TV.

And as for the Bills going 0-16...rooting on ya baby!!! but WOW, Fritz did look good...can he survive with that holy front line and no defense...

He would have been a good Q-back if he wasn't killed trying to pass the football.

Based on your ridiculous comments, the only logical conclusion is that you never saw Steve Young play.

Based on your ridiculous comments, the only logical conclusion is that you never saw Steve Young play.

I'm not that old, but I remember the OJ years with the Bills. I've seen a few QBs in my time and I'll tell you this: If I had to pick one historical QB to build a team around, Steve Young would be the guy. His skills were unbelievable.

LMAO...dillusional homerism at its best by someone who had never seen Young play. You and thewildrabbit should date as he says the same garbage about Montana while admitting he only saw Montana play a couple of games his rookie year and that was it.

Jimbo was no slouch, but Young was an Elite QB and one of the 10 best to ever play the game. And I love how you use his time in TB where it was his first 2 years in the league and on one of the most, if not the most, talentless team in NFL history.

But of coarse he should . Although we never won the big one how many other QB's can or for that matter will be able to say that they went to the SB 4 times in a row ? That is a feat that we will never see again , Not even the great Tom Brady can say he could take his team 4 years in a row !!!