NFL top 100 players

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its because I am biased but I think Jim Kelly should be on the list. I think they are at 20 now and both Marino and Elway have been listed so I know they wont put Kelly ahead of them.

Should he be considered one of the NFL's top 100 players of all time?

I dont know, one could probably make an argument either way. Think about it this way...out of 100 players, they have to consider every position in the NFL. Think of how many positions there are and how many great players have played those positions.

QB, RB, FB, WR, TE, LG, RG, C, LT, RT, RDE, LDE, NT, DT, MLB, ROLB, LOLB, RDB, LDB, FS, SS, KR, PR, P, K, ST

Thats 26 different positions, which would avg out to about the 4 best of each position in the top 100. You and I know thats not the case though as you wont see the 4th best punter in league history on that list, or maybe any punter for that matter. But there are still 18 to 20 positions that will have players on that list making it about an avg of top 5 per position. Some positions will have a few more, some a few less, but that still doesnt leave room for many at each position. Kelly is definitely not a top 5 QB all time, and many can argue not even top 10 with never winning the big game. So with all the other talent in the NFLs history at so many positions, it would be hard to crack the top 100 without being in the top 5 to 7 at your own respected position.

I personally probably would put him in the top 100, but based on what I said above I wouldnt have any problem with someone leaving him off. I would assume Bruce, Thurman and Reed are in the top 100...

Edited by Alphadawg7

They're not going to put specialized positions like kick and punt returners on the list. If someone -happens- to also be a returner, that may help their ranking. But they won't list players who -only- played special teams or list them solely on their return abilities. I could be wrong, but a sane and just universe wouldn't allow it.

Heck, if you're going to differentiate between left/right defensive back, and right/left outside linebacker, you should include long snappers and the second inside linebacker for 3-4 defenses.

I don't understand why Marino was better than Kelly in many people's eyes. Sure he threw for more yards, but Marino never won the big one either and Kelly's Bills owned Marino's Dolphins, especially in the playoffs.

Kelly's Bills were a much much better team than Marino's Dolphins, it wasn't merely the Kelly vs. Marino matchup that decided those games (although I'd still take Kelly over Marino anyday). I'd wager that whether or not Jimbo was better than Dan was considered secondarily to the overall strength of the teams for which they played, not to mention the gaudy statistics Marino had.

It's strange that both Jim Kelly & Thurman Thomas are left out of the Top 100---- Thomas was certainly a better RB and all-around NFL player than Tony Dorsett who has already appeared on the list.

They're not going to put specialized positions like kick and punt returners on the list. If someone -happens- to also be a returner, that may help their ranking. But they won't list players who -only- played special teams or list them solely on their return abilities. I could be wrong, but a sane and just universe wouldn't allow it.

Heck, if you're going to differentiate between left/right defensive back, and right/left outside linebacker, you should include long snappers and the second inside linebacker for 3-4 defenses.

You should read my whole post because you will see that I said that very thing...not all 26 positions will make that list but still 18 to 20 of those positions will have players that should be on that list. And yes, you have to talk about each individual spot like a ROLB and a LOLB because every position is an individual position with an individual playing each position.

How could Warner be ahead pf Jimbo?? WTF?

I see them both at the same level for different reasons. Jim was such a consistently tough QB and performer, while Kurt was a very dynamic QB who brought two long losing franchises to the Superbowl and winning one with the Rams. To me, both careers balance each others out and both should be in the 80-100 range of the top 100.

How could Warner be ahead pf Jimbo?? WTF?

It's called a SB win and being one of the most prolific QB's in the playoffs and Super Bowls of all time...Nothing against Kelly, buy most will give the edge to Kurt because of this...not to mention he turned around 2 of the worst teams in the league and took them to the SB

Edited by Alphadawg7

Maybe its because I am biased but I think Jim Kelly should be on the list. I think they are at 20 now and both Marino and Elway have been listed so I know they wont put Kelly ahead of them.

Should he be considered one of the NFL's top 100 players of all time?

I believe Kelly not being on this top 100 list has to do with the fact that he had a great RB and WR and very solid OL blocking for him. Marino had the "Marks brothers" who were good but definitely not hall of famers and NEVER had a great RB behind him. Elway never had great recievers or RB until late in his career (Terrell Davis) which coincidentally finally gave Elway his elusive SB titles. Those 2 guys put up very gaudy numbers while playing with very mediocre talent around them. Jimbo had an abundance of talent and not nearly the numbers that Marino and Elway did. Who's to say how Kelly would have played with a team that didn't have the weapons the Bills had. I personally take Jimbo every day of the week, but I grew up loving him and that Bills team, so my opinion is soaked in utter bias.

Greatest special team player ever?this guy made every tackle on punts by diving in onto if the pile after the play was over. He is know as the greatest if all time and will be in the hall of fame.his name bill master bates.