Ryan Fitzpatrick: Have the Buffalo Bills Found a Franchise Quarterback

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If nothing else Fitz is the present ,& a Buffalo type of player !! Some one the fans can root for and gives every thing he's got every time he steps on the field !

He's smart , has the second highest passer rating behind Peyton Manning which is at 102 . If nothing else the Bills won't need to do something stupid at the position (i just hope they realize it) And they will have some one in place that can lead this team until the air apparent comes along .

Plus it's not like we don't have other need areas on this team !!! Which between Chan & Buddy i think they'll

GET ER DUN !!!!! :thumbsup:

i like what you said.......but, "air apparant" and "get'er done"? c'mon bro, back away from the neckeotype.

Edited by marsadale

Somebody is not receiving the proper credit here, Chan Gailey. His reputation is quarterback development and he has done a fantastic job.

If Fitzpatrick can keep this up, the Bills have eliminated the need for a QB, 2nd receiver,a new offensive line,and the Bills can focus on defense. That's would be quite an accomplishment in 3 months.

Seems like yesterday we needed a completely new team.

*shaking my brain free of butterflies* wtf? So we skip over the O Line entirely??? Everything is roses with QB, OLine and we go straight to Defensive line? Fitz is a smart kid, but once again, if you don't protect him (and start opening holes for Freddie and CJ) he becomes one dimensional which makes defensive game planning easier. Don't get ahead of yourself...the O Line needs help too.

A lot of skeptics talk about Fitz's career to this point like he's a 10 yr vet who just had his first big game. The guy's started all of about 2 seasons worth of games, give or take a few, and has progressed significatly during that time.

Development is what separates the greats from the busts. A very few QBs have come out and lit it up as rookies. Especially thrown into disfunctional situations. Most take time to develop and this guy gets better with every game he plays.

Im happy to admit that I was wrong about RF. I had him pegged as a lifelong backup. A great guy to have on the team to come off the bench, and even get you a win in the right situation. A total character guy, but with limited skills that would relegate him carrying a clipboard his whole career.

I know it's early, but thus far he's proven me wrong. If this is how its going to be? Im totally down with having him leading the offense for the forseeable future.

War Fitzpatrick

A lot of skeptics talk about Fitz's career to this point like he's a 10 yr vet who just had his first big game. The guy's started all of about 2 seasons worth of games, give or take a few, and has progressed significatly during that time.

Development is what separates the greats from the busts. A very few QBs have come out and lit it up as rookies. Especially thrown into disfunctional situations. Most take time to develop and this guy gets better with every game he plays.

Another way to look at this is to imagine how 'insane' this board would be if we drafted someone next year...... and they proceeded to put together a five game stretch like Fitz. I'm jacked that we have a guy who is slinging it all over and seems to get 'it.' I hope he can produce consistently. In addition, when is the last time you heard players talk this positively about 'their guy at qb?' He seems to have the respect of the entire locker room. Would anyone really be disappointed if we "lucked" (pun intended) into a good, productive QB? I'm all for it. His recent performance makes for an interesting evaluation the rest of the year.

It's interesting how all of a sudden "Lee Evans is a premier receiver", as the article mentions. All it takes is for a QB to trust him and throw the ball his way and he's no longer a waste of money and trade fodder. Maybe he's not "worth" the exorbitant salary, but when he's involved in the offense he makes plays. Another thing to credit Chan for, as far as I'm concerned.

Absolutely correct. Chan deserves much of the credit for turning around our O and for developing the players especially Fitz. He has done a great job. It was just last season when Fitz was not doing so well under the old management. If we can draft some decent D palyers, we can have a good team next year.

Edited by Bart

I've been a fan of the Bills for fifteen years at least. I've been really following football for maybe seven or eight. Every year there are one or two college football players coming out that stand easily at the top of the list, guys that a team can build a unit around. Last year it was Suh.

Remember - going through a rebuild that takes a few years is something a team doesn't want to do every four or five years. If we have to hit rock bottom to build this thing up the right way, we should be aiming for a championship, to begin with, and then to remain that good.

Now, if we end up going into next year with the first pick, or top two or three, we should not be seeing that high a pick again for a long time. To be a great team - not just good, but great - we need a great QB. Fitz might be playing good, but he'll never be great. He looks like the perfect number 2 QB on a championship team, able to come in and win a game when needed, smart and capable of helping a young Qb read defenses. If we have the chance to grab a QB capable of being great, then we need to take it. Unless there is another player of need on Defense that is looking like a once in a generation prospect - and from what I've read it looks like the QB's are the talk of next year's draft.

The other direction - one I'm opposed to - is trading down. But, we won't, at least we shouldn't, have the chance to lock up a great Qb with a top pick for the forseeable future, so that is the way to go, IMO.

Its an interesting choice for sure. If he comes crashing back to earth then sure, draft Luck. But if not, what more could we possibly want? Hes #2 in passer rating for petes sake, and has obvious chemistry with our receivers. Chemistry doesn't grow on trees, you know. Anyways if he can keep doing that, then no joke, I say we draft all LB, DL, and OL next spring.

Edited by SoFFacet

The guy has played in four games this year and is the #2 ranked passer in the NFL. Are we really asking for more from the QB position right now?

There are many reasons he's playing better, and it's because the whole offense is playing better. The run blocking is getting better, the pass blocking is getting better, the running backs are picking up the blitz better, the receivers are getting open better, and the game plans are slowly evolving as the team gets more confident in what they're doing. All of this takes time, even with the right guy in charge of it. You can't expect the offense to come out like gangbusters at the start of the season with a new coach and a lot of young, inexperienced players. And that includes Fitz, who hasn't played a huge amount in his time in the league.

Everyone, including Fitz, is starting to 'get it', and that gives them increasing confidence, and the ability to do more on offense. This is what gives me the greatest hope as we move forward, especially (and hopefully) into next season, when presumably we can seriously address the deficiences in the defense (DE and LB).

I'm pretty sure the poster was referring to Brees' first 2 seasons as a starter where he clearly struggled, which you left out, and which also roughly equate to the same number of starts Fitz had prior to this season:

year atts comps pct yards avg tds ints rating

2003 205 356 57.6 2,108 5.9 11 15 67.5

2002 320 526 60.8 3,284 6.2 17 16 76.9

No, his quote was..."Drew Brees wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire BEFORE he got to New Orleans..."... which I simply corrected by saying, yes he did. For 2 whole seasons.

Also, Fitz is basically still a young guy. He is only 1 year older than Edwards despite being in the league two additional years. Take a QB like Danny White -- he didn't do hardly anything his first 4 years in the league, but went on to become a very good QB.

BTW - Danny White didn't do much his first four yrs in the league (as QB, anyway) because he was Dallas' punter!

No, his quote was..."Drew Brees wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire BEFORE he got to New Orleans..."... which I simply corrected by saying, yes he did. For 2 whole seasons.

I understand that he said "before New Orleans", but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that when he referred to Brees' early struggles with San Diego he was referring to the actual seasons in which he struggled, which roughly correlate to the same number of starts as Fitzpatrick at the beginning of 2010. I may have conflated the point because it's specifically been discussed in other threads, but that's the way I took it.

*shaking my brain free of butterflies* wtf? So we skip over the O Line entirely??? Everything is roses with QB, OLine and we go straight to Defensive line? Fitz is a smart kid, but once again, if you don't protect him (and start opening holes for Freddie and CJ) he becomes one dimensional which makes defensive game planning easier. Don't get ahead of yourself...the O Line needs help too.

good point, I like how everyone forgets how much Fitz had to run for his life against the Jets, he will do that again against the Steeler's

Like I posted in another thread, this is what Chan Gailey can do with a decent QB, make him look really good. Fitz is getting the ball out very quickly and finds the open receiver very quickly, but lets not forget he threw two INT's that hurt the team. Last time i looked about the ONLY QB that can do it all on his own is Payton Manning, and Fitz is definitively not a Manning

This team is going to continue to lose until they upgrade the O line and start running the ball more often

Absolutely correct. Chan deserves much of the credit for turning around our O and for developing the players especially Fitz. He has done a great job. It was just last season when Fitz was not doing so well under the old management. If we can draft some decent D palyers, we can have a good team next year.

Chan Has been a great hire offensivly. I wish the defense was better but he has made this offense very good. I have belief we can win every game with this offense. I cant remember the last time i thought that

good point, I like how everyone forgets how much Fitz had to run for his life against the Jets, he will do that again against the Steeler's

Like I posted in another thread, this is what Chan Gailey can do with a decent QB, make him look really good. Fitz is getting the ball out very quickly and finds the open receiver very quickly, but lets not forget he threw two INT's that hurt the team. Last time i looked about the ONLY QB that can do it all on his own is Payton Manning, and Fitz is definitively not a Manning

This team is going to continue to lose until they upgrade the O line and start running the ball more often

Peyton Manning once threw an int, but he was a rookie and it was the receiver's fault.

Last weeks performance by the OL has granted them the rest of the season to prove they can get the job done. Suggs was eliminated from the game and as a whole our line played very well Sunday.

Peyton Manning once threw an int, but he was a rookie and it was the receiver's fault.

Peytons first two seasons:

Year one 3-13-0, 26 td 28 int QB rating 71.2%

Year two 13-3-0 26TD 15 INT QB Rating90.7%

Contrast his first 16 games with the next 16:

Year three. 10-6 33Td 15 int QB rat 94.7

Check it out for yourself and look at 2001. Do #s lie? http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00.htm

Somebody is not receiving the proper credit here, Chan Gailey. His reputation is quarterback development and he has done a fantastic job.

If Fitzpatrick can keep this up, the Bills have eliminated the need for a QB, 2nd receiver,a new offensive line,and the Bills can focus on defense. That's would be quite an accomplishment in 3 months.

Seems like yesterday we needed a completely new team.

Yeah...he did a great job with Edwards.

Complete new team needed??? Not really...only the complete defense, offensive front line, administration and someone to buy the tickets to the remaining losing games in our fantastic 0-16 season.

I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong about Ryan Fitzpatrick. I always liked him, thought him a great QB to have on the roster in a backup role, and absolutely knew he is a much better QB than Fanning-Fan Edwards, but I'd still to see how Fitz does in the next few games before the ever-so-fickle TSW - changing with the wind once again based on a one-game performance - annoints him the Bills' savior. Same thing with the newly now-rejuvenated O-line - the general TSW consensus a week ago was that it 'sucked out loud', but now it is apparently no longer an 'area of need' in the upcoming draft according to TSW armchair GMs. :rolleyes:

That said...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

14 and 6 baby!!!!! B-)

Funny how just a week ago everyone was certain he'd be running for his life against the Ravens. Most didn't think he'd finish the game, let alone throw for 4 TDs. So, now he's got to prove it against the Steelers' D because the Ravens' D isn't tough enough?

Every great QB in the league throws interceptions. Every great QB in the league has a bad game. Should the Saints draft a QB because Brees looked bad against Cleveland? You can't expect 350+ yards passing, 4 TDs, and 0 INTs every week. All you can expect from your QB is consistent, solid play that leads your offense and your team. FItz has given us that, so far. Is he the QB of the future? The next 10 games will go a long way to answering that question. But you can't expect perfection week in and week out. It's just not realistic.

You'll never get anyone here to admit it, but QB is no longer the #1 weakness.

The biggest weakness is Linebacker and pass rushers

I will step up and agree with you!!

The O-line may have found the answers at tackle with Bell and Howard. Young, not perfect but gamers who seem to correct their past mistakes. I want to see a couple more complete offensive games before I totally say yes we have an O Line but the Green Giant is done waving at opposing defensive players leisurely going by him to our QB and that alone is a plus!

You have to like our 4 top wide outs. Evans is showing why he is a #1 receiver (all it takes is getting the ball to him downfield or at least trying to); Stevie Johnson is another one of those young guys who has made mistakes but is getting better all the time and fits in nicely at #2 although David Nelson is going to keep the pressure up; Roscoe in the slot has proved me wrong over and over this season ... his one leaping catch versus Baltimore alone had me eating crow; and David Nelson ... I love this kid and his potential.

The TE position ... who knows. Shawn Nelson is so raw but from his college days has so much potential but I will say that this is a wash in need of improvement.

Corey McIntyre ... give me 53 of him! He never stops ... just one of his hits on special teams is harder than all of the hits Mr. Aaron Maybe has had in his entire pro career plus he blocks with fervor and can catch the ball and run with it. He is such an asset to the Bills!

Freddie Jackson ... still can't believe we demeaned him by having Marshawn start this year. Freddie is our MVP!! But having CJ in tandem gives us a powerful running attack.

And, then there's Fitz ... again, I am eating crow but I am so enjoying how he plays the game and I will accept the interceptions just because he is willing to try. He is a nard nosed thinking QB and just maybe our answer to the next 5 years plus (at the very least he can be the starter until some future rookie stud takes over).

And, then there's our offensive defense. I think linebackers are the key ... our NT's have no support so I don't want to lay the blame with Williams and Troup because without a single decent linebacker and weakness on the ends (who knows maybe Dwan will have more games like Sunday) they aren't going to do anything.

So, right now I want some defensive stud as my first pick ... I can remember this stud we picked up in the mid-80's .... BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE

Funny how just a week ago everyone was certain he'd be running for his life against the Ravens. Most didn't think he'd finish the game, let alone throw for 4 TDs. So, now he's got to prove it against the Steelers' D because the Ravens' D isn't tough enough?

Yes, he does - but first he has to prove it against the Chiefs' and Bears' defenses, along with the 'lesser' defenses of the Lions and Bengals. Sorry, but that's just how it is, if the Bills are going to base - or alter - their 2011 draft strategy based on the recent emergence of Ryan Fitzpatrick as a premier NFL QB.

And, I hope he does great and continues to play at the level we saw against the Ravens. :thumbsup:

Yes, he does - but first he has to prove it against the Chiefs' and Bears' defenses, along with the 'lesser' defenses of the Lions and Bengals. Sorry, but that's just how it is, if the Bills are going to base - or alter - their 2011 draft strategy based on the recent emergence of Ryan Fitzpatrick as a premier NFL QB.

And, I hope he does great and continues to play at the level we saw against the Ravens. :thumbsup:

While I completely agree that Fitz has to prove over the course of the entire season that he's the starter for the future; let's also not discount past performances. For example, if he plays poorly against the Steelers, we shouldn't forget that he played exceptionally against the Ravens.

Many of the comments this week remind me of JP's last season (please... I'm not turning this into a JP debate!). But, each week JP had to prove he was the starter. He played great against the Bengals. OK... but next week will be the real test. He played ok that week, but the Bills won. Yeah, yeah... next week will be the real test. That went on for about 3 or 4 weeks until he had a really bad game. And suddenly everyone had the cause to scream for his immediate benching. My point in bringing this up, again has nothing to do with JP, but has everything to do with people's over-inflated sense of what should be expected.

In this league very few, if any, players (especially QBs) are great week in and week out. Most all QBs have good games and bad games. They all throw interceptions. So, we need to take all of Fitz's games into account and not try to ride him out of town the moment he has a bad game. So, yeah, he may be running for his life against the Steelers. But that doesn't mean he's only a backup no more than throwing 4 TDs against the Ravens means he's the future franchise Qb. That's all I'm trying to say.

It's nice when an INT is called an INT, eh? <_<

Do you not think Fitz has been generally consistent during each of his 4 starts this season? His QB rating was at 99 (not that stats tell the whole story) before the Baltimore game and there were some fans already calling for him to be the guy, possibly longterm. The Baltimore game was much better than his previous 3 starts but he certainly wasn't doing terribly before.

4 games? Seriously? You're willing to get excited about a guy being a franchise quarterback and being able to address other areas where we lack talent because Fitzpatrick has 4 decent games? I can show you a whole slew of games where he's been well below average.

Jumping to conclusions kills this teams and it's fans. Off to a 5-1 start? Sign Dick Jauron up for a big extension NOW! If this organization and its fans start thinking the quarterback problem is solved after 4 games then they'll get exactly what they deserve when it doesn't pan out. Can't wait to see what people are saying at the end of the season.....

Edited by The Avenger

Let's wait before we start celebrating here. First off. The Bills had 2 weeks to prepare for the Ravens. Lets see how we do against a weaker opponent in the Chiefs. 300 Yards against the Chiefs should be a cake walk for Fitz. If we go there and take it to them on offense, this is a the start of a good trend. But there are 10 more games people. Hold your horses before you start thinking we've turned the corner. If we play out the rest of the year like we did against the Ravens. We might very well be better than advertised.

Every great QB in the league throws interceptions. Every great QB in the league has a bad game. Should the Saints draft a QB because Brees looked bad against Cleveland? You can't expect 350+ yards passing, 4 TDs, and 0 INTs every week. All you can expect from your QB is consistent, solid play that leads your offense and your team. FItz has given us that, so far. Is he the QB of the future? The next 10 games will go a long way to answering that question. But you can't expect perfection week in and week out. It's just not realistic.

good point...

We screamed about Trentative's lack of confidence to throw the ball into coverage and it was totally justified. Now we have a QB who's willing to take chances with throwing into tight windows, like the pass to Lee Evans with 2-3 defenders around him in the Raven's game. In this case Lee makes the catch, but sometimes plays like that turn into INTs. We can't have it both ways and hopefully the number of TDs far exceeds the INTs.

Edited by In-A-Gadda-Levitre

I understand that he said "before New Orleans", but I'm going to go out on a limb and ASSUME that when he referred to Brees' early struggles with San Diego he was referring to the actual seasons in which he struggled, which roughly correlate to the same number of starts as Fitzpatrick at the beginning of 2010. I may have conflated the point because it's specifically been discussed in other threads, but that's the way I took it.

you know what assuming does.... :oops:

Franchise QB? Not ready to stamp him with that after a few decent games. If he continues to perform at about 90 QB rating and above for the rest of the season, I say let him keep his job. If he goes back to his play of the past, then we need to be looking at a QB.

Personally, I hope he turns out to be as good as he's shown this year... so we can concentrate elsewhere and improve faster. :)

4 games? Seriously? You're willing to get excited about a guy being a franchise quarterback and being able to address other areas where we lack talent because Fitzpatrick has 4 decent games? I can show you a whole slew of games where he's been well below average.

Jumping to conclusions kills this teams and it's fans. Off to a 5-1 start? Sign Dick Jauron up for a big extension NOW! If this organization and its fans start thinking the quarterback problem is solved after 4 games then they'll get exactly what they deserve when it doesn't pan out. Can't wait to see what people are saying at the end of the season.....

You said 1 good game doesn't show consistency--- but he's played 4 good games, which obviously shows some semblance of consistency. I'm not exactly getting excited that Fitz is our franchise QB, I'm saying he's been generally consistent in 4 starts.

you know what assuming does.... :oops:

He was obviously talking about Brees' early career struggles. If you want to take the win on this one because he mistakenly typed "before New Orleans", then have at it.

Fitzpatrick had the protection against one of the best defenses in football.

You'll never get anyone here to admit it, but QB is no longer the #1 weakness.

The biggest weakness is Linebacker and pass rushers

I'll admit it. Right now, QB is definitely not the #1 weakness. It's hard to rank all of the weaknesses on that mess of a defense, but it's got to have the top 3, right?

That doesn't mean we have a franchise QB or can necessarily pass on a potential franchise QB in the draft. At least, not yet. But after Sunday's game, I'm beginning to wonder if I underestimated Fitz's potential, and maybe he can be The Guy for us. I still doubt it, but at least he's playing well and fun to watch right now. That's a hell of a lot better than what we've been used to.

Also, I just want to point out that the line stopped looking so bad when Fitz took over. The 3 remaining Trent apologists will say that the line is playing much better, and that's why Fitz is playing so much better than Trent ever did. They are wrong.

He was obviously talking about Brees' early career struggles. If you want to take the win on this one because he mistakenly typed "before New Orleans", then have at it.

Thank you. Maybe Brees wasn't the best example of the point I was trying to get across. All I'm trying to say is that every QB that is a late bloomer (which Fitz may very well be) have people saying exactly what some are saying about Fitz right now. Sure it has only been 4 games, but in those 4 games we have actually been able to move the ball and we all know about his passer rating in those 4 games.

Edited by SpillerTime21

I'm not trying to "take a win"...We both saw the OP completely different and so assuming made an a$$ out of both you and I!! :thumbsup:

Edited by machinegun12