Gotta give a lot of you credit

I have to say that there were a number of you who were right on the money in saying that Steve Johnson (an unproven 7th round rookie at the time) was going to be a consistent starter for the Bills, and would accomplish 10 times as much as James Hardy ever would.

Right now, the dude's stats are amazing, especially considering we spent the first couple weeks piddling away time with Trent Edwards. 25 receptions for 372 yards, 5 TDs, 19 first downs and 14.9 Yards Per Reception. That's right, 76% of his catches go for first downs, and he's averaging 14.9 YPC as a possession receiver. Also, he's on pace for over 1,000 yards and 12 touchdowns.

So I gotta ask...how did you all know?

I have to say that there were a number of you who were right on the money in saying that Steve Johnson (an unproven 7th round rookie at the time) was going to be a consistent starter for the Bills, and would accomplish 10 times as much as James Hardy ever would.

Right now, the dude's stats are amazing, especially considering we spent the first couple weeks piddling away time with Trent Edwards. 25 receptions for 372 yards, 5 TDs, 19 first downs and 14.9 Yards Per Reception. That's right, 76% of his catches go for first downs, and he's averaging 14.9 YPC as a possession receiver. Also, he's on pace for over 1,000 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Because, Sage, we realized even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once and awhile.

:P

I have been surprised.

I thought D. Nelson should have been #2 or even Roscoe... Johnson never really impressed me. I also wanted TO to stay instead of this guy.

Heck of a game yesterday by Stevie, lets see if he can continue to do well... I hope he does. :)

:worthy: Excellent observation.

I too thought much more of Hardy then Stevie J. long-term for the Bills number two receiver position. I was convinced that both coaching staffs were simply not giving Hardy enough chances to grow into the position, coming out of Indiana, not exactly the best, most sophisticated offensive machine in major college. Rarely have I been this wrong. Has any other teams even picked up Hardy since the Bills cut him?? :oops:

:worthy: Excellent observation.

I too thought much more of Hardy then Stevie J. long-term for the Bills number two receiver position. I was convinced that both coaching staffs were simply not giving Hardy enough chances to grow into the position, coming out of Indiana, not exactly the best, most sophisticated offensive machine in major college. Rarely have I been this wrong. Has any other teams even picked up Hardy since the Bills cut him?? :oops:

Still listed as a Bill:

http://www.nfl.com/players/jameshardy/profile?id=HAR108650

After a couple of plays where Stevie snagged a bullet (and one in particular where roscoe caught one that was going so fast it almost dragged him out of bounds before he could get his feet down lol) the play of the receivers almost made me forget about "needing a franchise quarterback." There were a few pics too but was anybody else also VERY impressed with Fittzy's play?

I was the FIRST I tell ya, the first!

My 4/28/2008 post

Outside of the Bills top two picks, watch out for Stevie Johnson. The kid has the hands and feet to be a regular contributor sooner rather than later. He might be the Bills biggest steal of the draft. We'll have to wait two years to find out though!

After a couple of plays where Stevie snagged a bullet (and one in particular where roscoe caught one that was going so fast it almost dragged him out of bounds before he could get his feet down lol) the play of the receivers almost made me forget about "needing a franchise quarterback." There were a few pics too but was anybody else also VERY impressed with Fittzy's play?

Fitz played well enought to win ... it was refreshing to see.

I'm pleasently surprised. During TC I thought Nelson would be the #2. Stevie didn't look disciplined or fast enough. I love being wrong on this!

Even the announcers pointed out how fast he looked. Lack of sprinting speed doesn't mean you can't have WR speed. We have three good receivers now. Four if you include Roscoe Parrish. It's a shame that we have talent there, because the upcoming draft may be very deep at WR (A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Ryan Broyles, Jeff Fuller, Terrance Tolliver, Jonathan Baldwin) if they all come out this year.

Even the announcers pointed out how fast he looked. Lack of sprinting speed doesn't mean you can't have WR speed. We have three good receivers now. Four if you include Roscoe Parrish. It's a shame that we have talent there, because the upcoming draft may be very deep at WR (A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Ryan Broyles, Jeff Fuller, Terrance Tolliver, Jonathan Baldwin) if they all come out this year.

proven production in the NFL > great nfl potential imo

After the draft i said he could develope into a good reciever given the numbers he put up in his senior season at Kentucky.

Season Year GP GS Rec Yds Avg TDs FL

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

'06-'07 13 0 12 159 13.3 1 ---

'07-'08 13 13 60 1041 17.4 13

You should never undervalue the type of competition a college kid goes against. If you put up good numbers in the SEC, then chances are you can develope into a much more legit player then say the MAC or Big East. No slap on those confrences, but the SEC has the best talent bar none. Yes he was a one year wonder.

The Bills took a developemental player in the 7th round. The correct approach. Now i know they screwed the pooch on countless others.

If Johnson can sustain that level of play, the Bills could be building something. Think about it. Johnson and Evans at wide outs. You got a few other that are looking promising for the third spot. Then you got Spiller at RB. He too will develope.

You saw yesterday what a good qb can do. I am not sure Fitz is that guy. I think he is the definition of a 'hot and cold' qb. But when you have a qb makeing good decisions it turns out the Bills have a few options at reciever.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Because, Sage, we realized even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once and awhile.

:P

This, is the nature of the blind squirrel :D

Seriously, I wouldn't exaclty call it knowing but you have this guy taken on the 7 round that every time he jumped on the field something positive happened. Then you hear coaches and teammamtes raving about the guy in practice, how good he is at this and that.

Personally, I just wanted the coaches to give him more chances to show what this player is all about, but then they brought the most selfish player in the entire league, with Lee and Reed I knew he wasn't going to see playing time last year.

I loved Gailey's decision not to re-sign both TO and Reed and find out what you really have at the WR position.

When I was watching him run routes and catches, he reminded me a lot of TJ Houshmanzadeh...just his body type, fluidity and slipperiness without being really fast or really quick...

Im not gonna bring up my old posts but I remember being pretty high on the kid myself.....

I think it was something to the effect of....while everyone was clamoring for a big wide receiver and we were all ooh and awwing over Hardy's 6 foot 5 inch height....Johnson also is over 6 feet tall and seemed to make plays every time he got on the field.......

I love his intensity.....I mean he runs great routes, catches touchdowns, and finds ways to get open but even above all that you can see he really cares.