Chris Ellis released

BeastMode54

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that Ellis had 5 Tackles and a Sack in the 1st Game...He's played less and less as the Defense has gotten worse and worse...And he's the one that gets cut...Anyone else find that a bit strange? I mean, it can be argued he had the best pre-season of any Player on our Defense...This is another in a long line of strange moves if you ask me...It's almost like they did this to shut everyone up about the Kelsay extension...Cause my thought was always that Kelsay should give way to Ellis, if only because Ellis was younger and needed more PT so the Bills could evaluate him...I don't know... B-)

I was thinking the same thing and yes, I find it strange that he can go from starter, to after thought, to cut in five weeks.

He played well in the Miami game and then he vanished.

Then again, this is the Bills we are talking about.

Edited by Bob in STL

I thought they said he was improving? Not a big loss but man our LB core is awful

Ellis was our 3rd round pick in the '08 draft. Here's a notable player taken 19 picks after Modrak/Brandon drafted Ellis - Jermichael Finley #91 taken by the Packers. Yes sir, this 11 year era of crap certainly looks to continue indefinitely with these kind of constant misses in the freakin' draft. Nice job by this years' second rounder Troup playing more to "stop the run" yesterday, eh?? :bag:

Fault the Bills for a lot of moves they've made, but dropping this guy?? Who cares? He was dead weight (much like some other guys, I know). The only thing I remember about him was his answer to what he's looking forward to most after he got drafted: "Getting paid". What a loser.

I'm basing this on nothing else other than that quote, but maybe he just wasn't a good locker room guy and that's why all the other stiffs survived this latest cut and he got shipped out.

+1

Guys, 99% of top-100 selections that don't see the field their rookie years do not pan out. When Chris Ellis showed up, everyone called him a "project" who lacked NFL strength. Well, then why the HELL did we waste a 3rd round pick on him then? Get guys you think that can contribute now and use the 5-7 round selections on the projects.

+1

Guys, 99% of top-100 selections that don't see the field their rookie years do not pan out. When Chris Ellis showed up, everyone called him a "project" who lacked NFL strength. Well, then why the HELL did we waste a 3rd round pick on him then? Get guys you think that can contribute now and use the 5-7 round selections on the projects.

You can say that again.

Judging by the weekly activities, who does the front office sacrifice during the bye week?

Are the weekly offerings tossed into a volcano while the staff does incantations to the deathless great god Ralph?

Maybin is coming, don't worry.

LOL. Silly me--I forgot that we have 12 more weeks of ritual offerings.

Wow. This Bills front office continues to perplex me. McCargo has been a healthy scratch in every game this year, and when everyone on the d-line is healthy, both McCargo and Carrington have been healthy scratches, so there isn't exactly a need at the position. Meanwhile, Chris Ellis has played in every game and even started in week 1.

As another poster pointed out, how does it make sense that Ellis started week 1 and played well, then saw his PT decrease each week, and is now cut? How much of a coincidence is it that the D has gotten worse as Ellis has played less? (Probably a lot.) To my amateur eye, Ellis has consistently looked better than Kelsay at OLB, whether in preseason or regular season. But Ellis got cut and Kelsay got an extension. "Yeah, but the Bills' front office are professionals and know more than you." Do they? Uwe Boll is a professional filmmaker, but I'd say anyone who's taken a few film study classes knows more about movies than Boll. When the team has zero wins, they don't get the benefit of the doubt on counter-intuitive moves.

Ellis is no great shakes, but from what I'd seen, he had been playing fairly well. And with Moats still out for a couple more weeks, doesn't it seem like we're a little short at OLB?

On the bright side, this may mean that Antonio Coleman sees the field at some point. Probably just on special teams once Moats comes back, but we'll see. I'd rather see Moats or Coleman playing than Ellis, because they're younger and have more upside. But I'd much, much, MUCH rather see Ellis playing than Kelsay. Or Maybin. Seeing Maybin on the field just depresses me.